2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Snell vs Vice golf balls

harbor17

If you want something like the Pro V1why not the Pro V1?

I assume if you are playing top end ball you are a decent player and losing balls is not the issue, but wearing them out is more common. So you might be saving $2 or less a round. Why compromise on a key part of your equipment for $2?

If you have time to browse this thread, I strongly recommend to check out Snell ball thread. There are some people playing the same ball for multiple rounds. For me, losing ball is an issue but I could tell you that snell balls are darn durable. also, it is not about something like ProV1. It sure is better than ProV1.

Yes I am a big fan of Snell balls. Certainly way better than Vice, IMO.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume if you are playing top end ball you are a decent player and losing balls is not the issue, but wearing them out is more common. So you might be saving $2 or less a round. Why compromise on a key part of your equipment for $2?

If you have time to browse this thread, I strongly recommend to check out Snell ball thread. There are some people playing the same ball for multiple rounds. For me, losing ball is an issue but I could tell you that snell balls are darn durable. also, it is not about something like ProV1. It sure is better than ProV1.

I get wanting to play a 'better' ball. I just never get it when people go out in search of something comparable or "as good as" the Pro V1. Providing you are averaging 1 ball a round the cost difference between a discount ball and Pro V1 is next to nothing.

I tested Vice vs Snell and the Snell won. It's my new favorite ball... i like it more than the KSig *gasp*

Too bad i've got 17 boxes of KSigs waiting for me

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I get wanting to play a 'better' ball. I just never get it when people go out in search of something comparable or "as good as" the Pro V1. Providing you are averaging 1 ball a round the cost difference between a discount ball and Pro V1 is next to nothing.

I understand and respect your opinion. With all due respect, you probably are 99% golfers out there, who never heard of it and/or refuse to try simply because V1 seems to be darn good. But let me share my thought.

For the "as good as" ProV1 part, if ball is as good as V1, why not pay less as Snell MTB is as cheap as $2.17 and V1 is little over $4? That is almost 50% off. Thus, per ball perspective, you are 100% correct. It is matter of price of one ball. But for some, it adds up especially playing on dry, hilly and narrow course, where balls disappear in an instance.

For the "better" part, many including myself say that MTB performs better.

Of course, it is all subject to own discretion. I am just pointing out that there are cheaper and better balls out there.

I understand and respect your opinion. With all due respect, you probably are 99% golfers out there, who never heard of it and/or refuse to try simply because V1 seems to be darn good. But let me share my thought.

For the "as good as" ProV1 part, if ball is as good as V1, why not pay less as Snell MTB is as cheap as $2.17 and V1 is little over $4? That is almost 50% off. Thus, per ball perspective, you are 100% correct. It is matter of price of one ball. But for some, it adds up especially playing on dry, hilly and narrow course, where balls disappear in an instance.

For the "better" part, many including myself say that MTB performs better.

Of course, it is all subject to own discretion. I am just pointing out that there are cheaper and better balls out there.

I am more like in the 1% of golfers that don't actually think there is a better ball (for me) than the one I am playing. I am not saying the the ball I play is the 'best possible ball' just that I don't like to tinker and I value knowing what my equipment will do over potentially finding 5 yards on my drive or more check on wedge shots. Same things with clubs. Even if I find a brand new high end ball I won't hit it.

I am an interloper in this thread as the information has no practical purpose to me, but all the same I am curious about these 'off brand balls'

I haven't had the chance to test Snell balls yet, I have tested Vice Pro and Vice Pro Plus extensively on the course in the last month.

The biggest problem I found with Vice Pro / Pro Plus is the cover durability. First time out hitting 25-50 yard short game shots with a 60* that wasn't brand new, I saw lots of scuffing to the point the white paint came off the cover. I took them out to the course and with a new ball I hit a 80 yard shot with my 60*. When I got to the green I found a large deep cut like the edge of a knife slit the cover. The aerodynamics of the cover had been compromised so I had to put the ball into the shag bag on the next tee and replace it with a new one.

Other then the cover durability, the Vice Pro & Vice Pro Plus have good potential for a cheaper golf ball in my mind over Pro v1 and Pro v1x.

~ The feel seemed to be very close to the Pro v1 / v1x (sound and vibrations).

~ Spin seemed to be very close to the Pro v1 / v1x (no launch monitor data).

~ Launch angle seemed to be very close to the Pro v1 / v1x (no launch monitor data).

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
“A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

Found a Vice Pro Soft on hole 11 yesterday so played it for the remaining 7 holes. I'd played the Pro before and loved it, so was curious how the Pro Soft would perform.

Loved it. I'm not a consistent enough golfer to compare spin rates, distance etc, but when I hit a good shot it performed as expected, and it checked pretty quick on approach shots. I ended up shooting 3 over on those last 7 holes, which as a 15 cap I was pretty happy with.

A couple guys I play with have ordered up Vice Pro balls just to give them a try. They seem to think they're a perfectly fine alternative to paying $50 a box for ProV1's in the pro shop but both of them say they don't quite get the same distances as they're used to. But we're not talking GolfWRX veteran ball-ho's here. Just a couple of 6-8-10 hcp retired guys who've been playing ProV1 for their last few thousand rounds and seldom try anything else.

One other guy who basically plays any urethane ball he can find in the rough or woods ;-) was given a sleeve of the Vice and liked them fine. But he said even at Vice prices he'd still rather play balls he finds for free. Not sure what that's got to do with anything but it sort of reminded me that the Real World is not exactly GolfWRX I guess...

I haven’t played any of the Vice balls. But, as I’ve posted in the Snell thread, I’m completely sold on the Reds.

As I had North Butte when we discussing them, I don’t put a lot of actual thought into equipment (thinking is definitely not a strong suit for me��j, I have a general idea of what might work, try it, and go from there.

I can’t explain why the Red works well for me, but it just does. It feels “right” off the club (just the right amount of firmness, both Black and ProV seem just a touch softer, almost a “squishy” feel to me), I’m not a spin player, but Red seems do fine for me coming into the greens. Both full shots and chipping.

And the durability is as good as anything I’ve used. I chronicled in the Snell thread how long one ball lasted in playable condition.

I need to order some more, just wish I didn’t have several dozen other various balls that really should be used.

I can't explain why the Red works well for me, but it just does. It feels "right" off the club (just the right amount of firmness, both Black and ProV seem just a touch softer, almost a "squishy" feel to me), I'm not a spin player, but Red seems do fine for me coming into the greens. Both full shots and chipping.

I've never been tuned into "feel" as a golf-ball characteristic myself. I can hear that some balls (B330, original 4pc K-Sig, TM Lethal) make a louder bang off the driver than others but that's about the extent of it.

That said, one thing I've been liking about the AVX is when I look up to see the ball after hitting a shot it always seems to be in the right place so to speak. Meaning if it's a good shot I'll look up it'll be at the height and direction I was trying for, if it's a bad shot it'll be more or less as much offline as I'd expect. So that probably boils down to a "feel" thing, I am tuned into how that ball reacts to various swings.

FWIW, the MTB Black by the end of my one round was seeming much the same. Especially on wedge and short-iron shots I'd look up and the ball would be flying along pretty much like I expected it to be. That is not always the case with a ball I'm just trying out for the first time.

I can't explain why the Red works well for me, but it just does. It feels "right" off the club (just the right amount of firmness, both Black and ProV seem just a touch softer, almost a "squishy" feel to me), I'm not a spin player, but Red seems do fine for me coming into the greens. Both full shots and chipping.

I've never been tuned into "feel" as a golf-ball characteristic myself. I can hear that some balls (B330, original 4pc K-Sig, TM Lethal) make a louder bang off the driver than others but that's about the extent of it.

That said, one thing I've been liking about the AVX is when I look up to see the ball after hitting a shot it always seems to be in the right place so to speak. Meaning if it's a good shot I'll look up it'll be at the height and direction I was trying for, if it's a bad shot it'll be more or less as much offline as I'd expect. So that probably boils down to a "feel" thing, I am tuned into how that ball reacts to various swings.

FWIW, the MTB Black by the end of my one round was seeming much the same. Especially on wedge and short-iron shots I'd look up and the ball would be flying along pretty much like I expected it to be. That is not always the case with a ball I'm just trying out for the first time.

I think I’ve read here that what we think is feel actually has more to do with the sound. I really don’t have any idea on the validity of that. Whatever feedback is causing it, certain balls sure do feel differently to me off the clubfaxe.

This year I've ordered both the Snell MTB Black and the Vice Pro Plus. Really like them both. Amazing performance at an incredible price. I came from the Pro V1x and these two balls have all the performance of the 1x.

I've found the MTB Black to be more durable. When I'd finished both orders I reordered the Snell.

I haven’t played any of the Vice balls. But, as I’ve posted in the Snell thread, I’m completely sold on the Reds.

As I had North Butte when we discussing them, I don’t put a lot of actual thought into equipment (thinking is definitely not a strong suit for me��j, I have a general idea of what might work, try it, and go from there.

I can’t explain why the Red works well for me, but it just does. It feels “right” off the club (just the right amount of firmness, both Black and ProV seem just a touch softer, almost a “squishy” feel to me), I’m not a spin player, but Red seems do fine for me coming into the greens. Both full shots and chipping.

And the durability is as good as anything I’ve used. I chronicled in the Snell thread how long one ball lasted in playable condition.

I need to order some more, just wish I didn’t have several dozen other various balls that really should be used.

I agree. I use forged heads and there is a different sound to most balls but I 100% agree there are different feel not just the sound. The original Chrome soft... I swear I could not feel that come off the club face on a pure hit. No feedback to me. The X model feels good as does the Snell Black and TPx.

I love the 2017 Pro V1, but wanted to try the Vice Pro to see how it compared. I will say the Vice is a little clickier off of my wedges. I don't think any ball can truly replicate the feel of a Pro V, but it was close. With that being said, the ball spun well and the distance was good. A little higher flight but nice control on the green.

Recently put the Cut Blue into play. Was really impressed. Tough to tell driver yardage differences, but flight was solid. There wasn't a ton of wind, so I didn't see anything crazy as far as control is concerned. Felt great off every club in the bag. Most impressed with short game spin. Honestly may have spun a hair too much off full wedges, but greens were very soft and receptive that day.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I bought both.

Really like the Snell MTB Black. Looks premium, works well for me off of the driver. Seems as good as anything I've ever tried around the greens.

Have the Vice Pro. Nice I guess, but I've never had a good round with them. Can't objectively say why... The great benefit of these is their customization program, which is excellent.

I bought both.

Really like the Snell MTB Black. Looks premium, works well for me off of the driver. Seems as good as anything I've ever tried around the greens.

Have the Vice Pro. Nice I guess, but I've never had a good round with them. Can't objectively say why... The great benefit of these is their customization program, which is excellent.

PF, glad you are another fan of Snell.

I bought both.

PF, glad you are another fan of Snell.

Definitely a fan. They also came with a hand-signed note from the man himself, which I thought was a nice touch.

I've been playing the Vice Pro Neon Lime now for a while and don't notice any issues with the durability of the cover (as some have mentioned). That being said, even if the cover was a bit of an issue, I would still take it over the Snell balls (though that's just personal preference as both are EXCELLENT).

Ping G430 LST 9* 
Ping G430 5W 17*

Ping G430 4H 21*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 Yellow 

Havent tried either of the new snell balls yet. Had some of the "MTB" (last years ball i think) and it was pretty good. For me im sticking with the Vice Pro neon red. Yea the cover can get beat up causing me to pull out a new ball 1 time a round. But at $2/ball im cool with that. The neon red is WAY easier for me to spot in tall grass/further away than white balls are. Pretty simple color wheel stuff. I get the spin/feel and consistency i need out of them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played the Vice Tour , it felt like a rock to me but it did get great distance. The Snell Get Sum was disappointing for feel and distance into the wind. Not so bad without or with the wind.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0