Worse finish to a round

scruffynick

Well had a really good round going today, and after I'd birdied the 12th things were really looking good..... Then even after back to back bogies on 14&15 which are 2 tough holes I wasn't too fussed. Then it went t!ts up.... Spectacularly!! Just had a mare of a finish, worse I that I can remember. A few pints helped after as I sat there with my playing partners wondering WTF just happened.. So come on we've all done it, what's your worse finish youve done to a round!?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the worst finish but the most painful for my was being at the tee needing par to break 80 and closing with a double. The second most painful was needing par to beat my brother's best of 39 on the back nine of his favorite course and skulling my second shot over the green and scuffling through crap behind the green to an 8.

I've been a member at the club I currently play at for just about 2 years now. I've played 134 rounds there in that time, so... I've had plenty of opportunities to fall apart on the finishing holes, which although they aren't listed as such, I believe to be a pretty difficult finishing stretch.

Anyway...

#15 - Par 5 - 462 Yards

On paper, this doesn't seem like too difficult a hole, and it's typically not. Keep the drive out of the hazard up the left and away from the OB on the right and it's fairly benign. On this particular day... my tee shot went right. I was told it was okay, but I hit a provisional to be safe. That went left. Original ball was sitting just across the white line and out of bounds. Crap. Provisional was in the hazard against a rock. Awesome. Drop for 4... hitting 5. Big, overhanging tree left in my line... fairway bunker up the right. Try to hook a 4 iron low and around the tree. Blocked it right and OB again. Dropping 6... hitting 7. Hit an ugly 8 iron to the right of the fairway bunker. Left myself about 130 to the back pin. Heavy... on the green, but way short. 3 putts from there for 11.

#16 - Par 4 - 309 Yards

Again... paper says this is an easy hole. Tee shot with a 4 iron to draw it around the dogleg found the right side of the fairway. Pin was on the left side. Cardinal sin on this hole it to go long. It leaves a nearly impossible up and down... especially if the pin is on the left side. Pitching wedge looked great but the mound in front of the green prevented me from seeing where it finished. Got up there... no ball. Maybe it's in the hole? Nah... that must mean... yep. I went long. The situation dictates just taking my medicine and get the ball on the green. Yeah, but... what if I just flop it on to the green and let it trickle to the hole? That would be better... right? Flop landed on the mound and came back to me. Ugh! Bump it into the hill to kill the speed and let it trickle to the hole. Whack! Too hard. Over the front side of the green. Chip to 4 feet from there. Stopped my putter at impact. Missed the putt. Triple bogey 7.

#17 - Par 3 - 138 Yards

Short is the miss. Right is not horrible. Left can be really bad if it kicks further left. Long is basically hell. 8 iron into a little bit of a breeze looked awesome. Hopped once. Ball disappears over the back. Pin is in the back. Again... play is just to get it on the green and leave a putt at par. Again... I tried to get cute. Club went completely under the ball and I moved it about 2 feet. Try again... caught in the rough at the top of the hill. Chip had no chance to get close. 2 putts for another triple bogey.

#18 - Par 4 - 312 Yards

So... yeah. The finishing stretch is super short. Just gotta avoid the misses in the bad spots. This hole is uphill the entire way. 312 yards that typically plays like 390 yards. No need for driver. 3 wood or iron is fine. I was steaming. Driver was wiped way right. $*^+! In the trees with an awful lie. Topped it into the deep fairway bunker. 120 or so left to the hole. Can't get there because of how deep the bunker is. I still tried. Thud! Right into the lip. It escaped but barely. Wedge from there was thin and long. Green has 3 tiers. Pin is in the bottom. Ball is at the top. Putted off the green. Chipped on to about 3 feet and made that to mercifully end the round with ANOTHER triple.

I got through the 14th hole at +12. I walked off the course at +27 and a 99.

I left the next day for a 5 night trip to Hilton Head for a tournament. Any and all confidence I had was shattered by that round.

I've been a member at the club I currently play at for just about 2 years now. I've played 134 rounds there in that time, so... I've had plenty of opportunities to fall apart on the finishing holes, which although they aren't listed as such, I believe to be a pretty difficult finishing stretch.

Anyway...

#15 - Par 5 - 462 Yards

On paper, this doesn't seem like too difficult a hole, and it's typically not. Keep the drive out of the hazard up the left and away from the OB on the right and it's fairly benign. On this particular day... my tee shot went right. I was told it was okay, but I hit a provisional to be safe. That went left. Original ball was sitting just across the white line and out of bounds. Crap. Provisional was in the hazard against a rock. Awesome. Drop for 4... hitting 5. Big, overhanging tree left in my line... fairway bunker up the right. Try to hook a 4 iron low and around the tree. Blocked it right and OB again. Dropping 6... hitting 7. Hit an ugly 8 iron to the right of the fairway bunker. Left myself about 130 to the back pin. Heavy... on the green, but way short. 3 putts from there for 11.

#16 - Par 4 - 309 Yards

Again... paper says this is an easy hole. Tee shot with a 4 iron to draw it around the dogleg found the right side of the fairway. Pin was on the left side. Cardinal sin on this hole it to go long. It leaves a nearly impossible up and down... especially if the pin is on the left side. Pitching wedge looked great but the mound in front of the green prevented me from seeing where it finished. Got up there... no ball. Maybe it's in the hole? Nah... that must mean... yep. I went long. The situation dictates just taking my medicine and get the ball on the green. Yeah, but... what if I just flop it on to the green and let it trickle to the hole? That would be better... right? Flop landed on the mound and came back to me. Ugh! Bump it into the hill to kill the speed and let it trickle to the hole. Whack! Too hard. Over the front side of the green. Chip to 4 feet from there. Stopped my putter at impact. Missed the putt. Triple bogey 7.

#17 - Par 3 - 138 Yards

Short is the miss. Right is not horrible. Left can be really bad if it kicks further left. Long is basically hell. 8 iron into a little bit of a breeze looked awesome. Hopped once. Ball disappears over the back. Pin is in the back. Again... play is just to get it on the green and leave a putt at par. Again... I tried to get cute. Club went completely under the ball and I moved it about 2 feet. Try again... caught in the rough at the top of the hill. Chip had no chance to get close. 2 putts for another triple bogey.

#18 - Par 4 - 312 Yards

So... yeah. The finishing stretch is super short. Just gotta avoid the misses in the bad spots. This hole is uphill the entire way. 312 yards that typically plays like 390 yards. No need for driver. 3 wood or iron is fine. I was steaming. Driver was wiped way right. $*^+! In the trees with an awful lie. Topped it into the deep fairway bunker. 120 or so left to the hole. Can't get there because of how deep the bunker is. I still tried. Thud! Right into the lip. It escaped but barely. Wedge from there was thin and long. Green has 3 tiers. Pin is in the bottom. Ball is at the top. Putted off the green. Chipped on to about 3 feet and made that to mercifully end the round with ANOTHER triple.

I got through the 14th hole at +12. I walked off the course at +27 and a 99.

I left the next day for a 5 night trip to Hilton Head for a tournament. Any and all confidence I had was shattered by that round.

Ouch.... Whisky needed after that!

Well had a really good round going today, and after I'd birdied the 12th things were really looking good..... Then even after back to back bogies on 14&15 which are 2 tough holes I wasn't too fussed. Then it went t!ts up.... Spectacularly!! Just had a mare of a finish, worse I that I can remember. A few pints helped after as I sat there with my playing partners wondering WTF just happened.. So come on we've all done it, what's your worse finish youve done to a round!?

2003. California State Am Qualifier. 3-under with one to play at Spring Valley Lake CC in Victorville, CA. Shanked a 6-iron and triple-bogeyed the185-yard downhill par-3 18th to miss by one.

2003. Southern California Amateur Qualifier at Rancho California Golf Club in Murrieta, CA. 2-under with one to play. double-bogey the 18th hole to shoot even, which put me in a playoff. Hit a 9-iron to 15 feet on the first playoff hole and promptly 3-jacked to miss out.

2003. U.S. Mid-Am Qualifier. 3-under at Desert Island Country Club in Rancho Mirage, CA with one hole to play. I triple-bogeyed the last hole to shoot even and miss by one.

I cried on the drive home after this one. Yes, all of those really happened. Yes, in the same year. Yes, back-to-back-to-back. Yes. I really choked that badly back then.

THEN, in 2004, I broke through and shot 69 (one behind current PGA Tour player and then senior in high school Cameron Tringale!) to qualify for the SCGA Amateur. After that, I went on a run where I qualified for just about everything in California and even had some nice finishes for about five years in a row. Good times. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

It would have to be last week. I’m cruising to my second sub 40 round in four weeks. I get to the seventh hole which is a short par 4 that I usually hit a 5 iron off the tee and have around 90 yards in. I somehow turned that into a 7. I par the next one. I get to 9 and need a par for 40 and turn that one into a 7 also.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Many years ago I was -6 after 14 holes and three putted the last four to shoot 68. :swoon:

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

The first time I was about to break par I was -5 through 17. 18 is a semi driveable par 4 and is a extremely tight dogleg left where iron is the smart play 99/100 times. I didn't just want to shoot under par, I wanted to shoot 65 :taunt: . Promptly blocked two balls OB and made a 9.

The worst one I have seen (different course) was a guy who was -6 through 13 and proceeded to go double, double, triple, quintuple, double for a smooth 80.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Stood on the tee of the Par 3 17th hole at my course at -3... Putted out on the Par 4 18th with a (3 over) 75...

Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Pro 63 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 3 Wood Fujikura Speeder X-Stiff

Titleist 816 H1 19*

Titleist T100 4-9 PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM6 46* PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM7 50* PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM4 54*/60* PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 

I made a quad on the par 4 18th on both days of the club scratch championship to miss out on the play-off by 1

The guy I was playing with had won it a number of times and was one ahead of me teeing off on the 36th yet also made a quad to join the play-off.

That was a seriously ugly hole.

The following year I was playing horrible in the first round and played the last 4 holes in 5 under to shoot level par including a hole in one on the 230 yd par 3 16th. Sums up the game.

I was thinking about posting about my most recent round.. this thread is mostly on that topic...

Played a course nearby that the Wife and I have never played before. We only had time that day for 9 holes.

Turned out to be a nice course. I'm a 22 HC and through the first six holes I was +2 (Par/Bogey/Par/Bogey/Par/Par). On the 7th hole I knew ahead of time I was going to hit 3 wood instead of driver, because there are fairway bunkers that run 240 out to 260 on the L&R sides of the fairway.

I hit a big left pull off the tee behind the trees off the fairway and things go downhill from there ending with a quad bogey 8! The 8th hole was a par 3... bad swing and triple bogey 6. On the 9th hole, I have to drop two, hit three and finish that hole with another triple bogey 7.

So in the last three holes I went +10 after only +2 thru the previous 6 holes. Worst three hole finish for me... Mentally, I just couldn't recover after the quad bogey 7th. It's my biggest weakness.

I was thinking about posting about my most recent round.. this thread is mostly on that topic...

Played a course nearby that the Wife and I have never played before. We only had time that day for 9 holes.

Turned out to be a nice course. I'm a 22 HC and through the first six holes I was +2 (Par/Bogey/Par/Bogey/Par/Par). On the 7th hole I knew ahead of time I was going to hit 3 wood instead of driver, because there are fairway bunkers that run 240 out to 260 on the L&R sides of the fairway.

I hit a big left pull off the tee behind the trees off the fairway and things go downhill from there ending with a quad bogey 8! The 8th hole was a par 3... bad swing and triple bogey 6. On the 9th hole, I have to drop two, hit three and finish that hole with another triple bogey 7.

So in the last three holes I went +10 after only +2 thru the previous 6 holes. Worst three hole finish for me... Mentally, I just couldn't recover after the quad bogey 7th. It's my biggest weakness.

Not many do.... Your mind goes to mush!

Was -2 through 4 holes(eagle, par, bogey, birdie)at my home course where I’ve never broken 40 for 9 holes. 3 putt bogey on 8 and then made the mistake of looking at my card seeing what I needed on 9. Saw I needed a birdie to shoot even. Ended up having to take a drop and double bogeyed the hole. Ended up +3 38.

6 under through 14,

15 par 3, shot the flag, hit it right at it, posed like it was going in, only I picked up the yardage to the tree not the flag lol. Double.

16, easy par 4. Double from fairway bunker that I had no business being even close to.

17, par 3 with lots of bad places to miss. I missed in the baddest of the bad. Double.

18, reachable par 5, pumped my drive ob right. Retee, hook it left, have to take a drop from bushes. Triple.

14 holes 6 under, last 4 +9

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I am sure that I have probably had worse finishes score wise but the one that still sticks in my head is playing a big Open competition at my home club two, three years ago I was playing great. Level par through 13 holes then proceeded to double 14, 17 and 18. If I had played the last 5 holes in +2 I would have won, as it was, I finished well out the prizes. I had never been so angry walking off a golf course in my life and I have never been that angry since.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I saw a friend make a 17 on the 54th hole of our club C

9 and he would've won the s cond flight

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Not a single round, but an entire year of rounds.

I play in a after work beer league. Same course every week. Usually the same 9. For the entire season one year I'd come into hole 8 with a semi-decent score or even a good score and EVERY week I'd proceed to shoot 6 - 7 or 7 - 6 on the same last two holes. It was maddening.

It didn't matter what strategy I took off the tee, what club I chose, what side of the fairway I'd try to come in from, somehow, someway I'd play the last two holes in a combined +5. If I was safe off the tee, I'd skank the approach. If I was close the green I'd duff or skull a chip. 3 putts galore. Double duffs in the bunker. You name it.

I was cursed.

Maybe not my absolute worst finish ever but today on the 2nd day of our Club Championship I had a great string of holes going to fix some of the damage I had caused on the front 9.

I was even on the back after #16. Took a triple on #17 and was so rattled by that I f*cked my tee shot up on 18 and had to come out of the fescue sideways instead of advancing forward. Bogey there too.

There is this course about an hour from where I live that we play on exchange days and I always botch the last hole. I have doubled it every time I have ever played it. I believe I've played it 3 times total and have scores of 78, 78, 79. It is an unusual hole in that it goes out about 250 yards where the fairway ends and then it doglegs down and to the left. It drops 50 feet or so to a pretty narrow green. Most of the time I hit a 2h off the tee then a short iron in from there. This time, due to my past failures I decided to just bash driver right at it so I could have a little flip wedge in. I hit a hook and was down below the green but only about 75 yards out or so. Hit a wedge above the hole and proceed to 4 putt for another 6. To make matters worse I had about a 3 footer on the previous hole for birdie which I couldn't convert. So I take a potential 76 with a made 3 foot birdie and a par on a hole where I hit the green in regulation to a 79. I just cannot finish at this place.

Cobra LTDx Driver
Titleist TS2 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 2h & 4h
Srixon Z585 5i

Srixon Z785 6-PW
Callaway MD4 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

My buddy and I played a course yesterday morning that we haven't played in years. First hole is a short par 4 and I hit a beautiful 4 iron off the tee that was right down the middle with just a little draw. Got on the green and just miss a birdie putt. Next hole is a 200 yard par 3. I hit a 5 iron with the same little draw that trickled down the side slope of the green to 1 foot from the hole! Tap in birdie. I'm thinking I have command of my long irons with these 2 beautiful shots I have just made but I have yet to hit driver. My driver turned out to be like Tiger's. Aim right only to hit a slice into the woods out of bounds. Next hole aim left and hit a snapper out of bounds. I ended up making quads on 7 & 8 and a bogey on 9. The back nine was just as monumental where I decided to leave the driver in the bag and proceeded to start slicing my 4 iron off the tee and lost 3 balls in the river. Ended up shooting a smooth 100. I went home and mowed the grass and then paid a visit to my recliner. My wife comes in from her shopping trip takes one look at me and asked me immediately what is wrong. I was still dejected 4 hours after my round!

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Finished the round at 7:15 CT today.

Was on pace to shoot my career low by more than a handful of strokes on the 16th tee. I could have bogied my way in and still have comfortably beat my previous best by a couple of strokes. Course finishes 4, 3, 4. I finished with a 7, 6, 9 including a topped 3 wood that hit a tee marker and sailed OB by a considerable distance

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1540362-raholland71-witb/#entry16159836"]WITB[/url]
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T