How many "regular" PGA wins equal a "major" win?

manku

I can understand if someone thinks the ratio is 2-1, 3-1, 4-1.

But 10-1? How does that make sense?

There's a group of maybe 50 elite players who play all 4 majors in a year. Those guys play 20-25 events per year. Majors are <=20% of their schedule.

A lot of rank and file guys play one or no majors. Those guys play about 25 events per year, sometimes more. Majors are <=4% of their schedule.

Overall, the majors are 4 events out of more than 40. About $45M out of $350M+ in total purse (not counting Fedex bonus money). Sure, they're the most important events. But so important that the other 90% of the season is irrelevant?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand if someone thinks the ratio is 2-1, 3-1, 4-1.

But 10-1? How does that make sense?

There's a group of maybe 50 elite players who play all 4 majors in a year. Those guys play 20-25 events per year. Majors are <=20% of their schedule.

A lot of rank and file guys play one or no majors. Those guys play about 25 events per year, sometimes more. Majors are <=4% of their schedule.

Overall, the majors are 4 events out of more than 40. About $45M out of $350M+ in total purse (not counting Fedex bonus money). Sure, they're the most important events. But so important that the other 90% of the season is irrelevant?

Cause

darren-clarke-and-sister.jpg

; )

One thing is for sure. People care WAY too much about majors. There is nothing inherently special about them. They are just tour events that have strong fields.

In fact, I think there are a number of people on this forum that would rather have Koepka's career (4 wins and 3 majors) than Dustin Johnson's career (19 wins and 1 major). Which is completely ridiculous.

Personally, I'd say majors are worth 1.5-2 high profile tour wins (Players, WGC, etc). Otherwise, I'd say they're worth 2-3 wins. However, even that is probably giving majors way too much love.

I disagree. Even great players get really nervous for majors, and they may choke in majors.

I would say 5 to 1 or 6 to 1 for tour wins vs. majors. People remember majors - it is the single most important statistic that we use to rank players.

Now you might say, Andy North only won 3 times, two were majors. And I say, we remember Andy North for that. We don't remember JC Snead, Dave Barr or Dennis Watson, guys who also won tournaments but finished second to North in the US Open.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I don't think any amount of regular wins equals a major. They are different categories.

Similar to other sports, where no amount of regular wins, equals a playoff series win or championship. A team could have several really good regular seasons, but if they don't do well in the playoffs or win a championship, then it's not at the same level of achievement as the others who have

This seems silly. They aren't different categories.

Majors are just golf tournaments and people decided to consider them "majors" at some point in the past. There is nothing inherently special about them. They have strong fields, just like The Players, WGC events, Bay Hill, etc.

People here trying to argue they outweigh other tour wins by 10 to 1 are absolutely delusional.

If you were a tour player at the end of your career who never won a major, but had 20 tour wins, would you trade them all for just one major?

How many tour wins would Tiger trade for 5 more major wins? How many would he trade for just three more putts falling at Bellerive?

Winning a major means near eternal flame and glory or something like it amongst pro golfers. Winning the Waste Management Open or any other regular tour event I'm sure is a great high for a pro, but in no way compares to a major.

As far as player of the year, I'd rank multiple major winner ahead of a multiple tour event winner.

If you were a tour player at the end of your career who never won a major, but had 20 tour wins, would you trade them all for just one major?

How many tour wins would Tiger trade for 5 more major wins? How many would he trade for just three more putts falling at Bellerive?

Winning a major means near eternal flame and glory or something like it amongst pro golfers. Winning the Waste Management Open or any other regular tour event I'm sure is a great high for a pro, but in no way compares to a major.

As far as player of the year, I'd rank multiple major winner ahead of a multiple tour event winner.

Would I trade 20 tour wins for 1 major? Would you rather be Luke Donald or Shaun Micheel?

I don't think any amount of regular wins equals a major. They are different categories.

Similar to other sports, where no amount of regular wins, equals a playoff series win or championship. A team could have several really good regular seasons, but if they don't do well in the playoffs or win a championship, then it's not at the same level of achievement as the others who have

Majors are just golf tournaments and people decided to consider them "majors" at some point in the past. There is nothing inherently special about them. They have strong fields, just like The Players, WGC events, Bay Hill, etc.

People here trying to argue they outweigh other tour wins by 10 to 1 are absolutely delusional.

So your strategy is to keep saying the same thing over and over again and hope to brow beat those who disagree into submission?

So your strategy is to keep saying the same thing over and over again and hope to brow beat those who disagree into submission?

Lots of talk right now about POY on PGAtour....here is a linky from today: https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2018/08/22/pga-tour-2018-player-of-the-year-brooks-koepka-not-over.html

PGA players seems to think that it is about 2-1, at least for POY. However, if you read what posters on this forum say, it seems more like 5-1.

What do most people think...I'd say it's about 4-1. Maybe 3-1 if they were the Players and two WGC or high profile events.

5 Regular event wins = 1 Major

Important to place a high value on this Majors, its what will keep them hype

Would I trade 20 tour wins for 1 major? Would you rather be Luke Donald or Shaun Micheel?

giphy.gif

One thing is for sure. People care WAY too much about majors. There is nothing inherently special about them. They are just tour events that have strong fields.

In fact, I think there are a number of people on this forum that would rather have Koepka's career (4 wins and 3 majors) than Dustin Johnson's career (19 wins and 1 major). Which is completely ridiculous.

Personally, I'd say majors are worth 1.5-2 high profile tour wins (Players, WGC, etc). Otherwise, I'd say they're worth 2-3 wins. However, even that is probably giving majors way too much love.

Brooks Koepka has won 11 professionnals tournaments (2 US open, 1 PGA champ', 1PGA tour, 1 ET tour, 4 Challenge tour, 2 Japan golf tour) People will say some are minor wins but they are not that minor when you begin a carreer and discover big stages...

A win is a win.

High Ball Shooter

Brooks Koepka has already mathematically clinched the PGA Player of the Year which is a points system. You get 30 points for a major and a 50 point bonus for winning two.

There is also PGA Tour Player of the Year which is voted on by the players.

The last time a player won two majors and did not win POY was Jack Nicklaus in 1980. He won the US Open and PGA. Tom Watson won 6 official events: San Diego, Los Angeles, T of C, New Orleans, Byron Nelson and the World Series. He also won the British Open an unofficial event at the time. There was no points system, the winner was selected by the PGA of America. I can't find any newspaper or magazine articles from the time, so I don't known how controversial it was.

So as the wise old owl once said, "three." maybe

I agree with other posters, it depends on the tournament. I'd say 6-1 in early season tournaments and those that follow a Major and 3-1 in others.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I knew as I wrote this, someone would throw out the name of some one-hit wonder, and here it is.

I think if you have a career without a major win, or one major and then not much else, you are going to have regret looking back at your career. So, point taken.

I'd still value a major considerably higher than regular tour events.

The answer to your question: I would gladly take the career of either. To compete as a tour pro would be a joy in itself.

Brooks Koepka has already mathematically clinched the PGA Player of the Year which is a points system. You get 30 points for a major and a 50 point bonus for winning two.

There is also PGA Tour Player of the Year which is voted on by the players.

The last time a player won two majors and did not win POY was Jack Nicklaus in 1980. He won the US Open and PGA. Tom Watson won 6 official events: San Diego, Los Angeles, T of C, New Orleans, Byron Nelson and the World Series. He also won the British Open an unofficial event at the time. There was no points system, the winner was selected by the PGA of America. I can't find any newspaper or magazine articles from the time, so I don't known how controversial it was.

So as the wise old owl once said, "three." maybe

Faldo won 2 majors in 1990. He won PGA PotY but didn't win PGA Tour PotY. He only played 7 PGA Tour events that year, so presumably he wasn't a member.

10-15 probably in my opinion. Definitely has to be 9 at lowest

Really? So Andy North had a better career than Monty? Or Weiskopf?

I like to see guys dominate. So I would put a 6 win guy ahead of a guy with two majors.

Just take this to the logical extreme to see if it holds water. Would you place someone who wins 12 tournaments over a player who wins the grand slam?

#BKisPOY

The player with the Slam would win POY for certain. But which player truly played better that year? It is a lot more difficult to win 12 events than 4.

No absolutes. But picking a guy like Andy north doesn’t really make the point. Monty for example did much Much more than win regular events. From Ryder cup to how many majors he contended in. Nobody said what makes one career worth more than another. Just asked how many wins a major is worth.

Maybe I should amend my opinion and say that more than 1 major multiples that players major values x10 , a single major could be a fluke. But 2 is never that. 2 in 1 year should be player of the year almost automatically. No matter if JT wins 7 events.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Use that rationale and try to get into the Hall of fame. Then let me know how delusional it is.

A major is not the same. If it were everyone would eventually win one. The setup to the atmosphere is not the same. Not to mention it’s the only evens outside the players where the fields aren’t padded by 60 no names trying to make a check and keep a card.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If you win 20 "regular events" in a career and no majors people will say you are an underacheiver and can't perform under pressure.

If you win 3 majors and 1 tour event then people will say you are one of the best players of a generation.

History loves winners. Especially major winners. I'd say the ratio is 10-1

I will add that if you win one major (see Sergio) then it validates your career....so if you win one major and 20 events you are now in the HOF. You really don't move to all-time elite status until you win 5 or more majors. Phil, Seve etc.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

If it’s a player of the year conversation then someone is going to need to win at least 5 times with 2 of them being high profile events like the players or a wgc if they are up against a double major winner. I still think that 2 majors in a year is a lock for player of the year.

Career wise, one major is like 10-15 regular tour events IMO.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

If you polled every professional on tour, 100% would take two majors over 6 wins. Hell they would all take one major. 2 majors is automatic poty.

And that is insane to me. If I'm playing professionally, I'm playing because I love golf and I'm planning my retirement. 6 wins gets me a lot closer to that goal than 2 majors.

I agree with this. To think Keopka has had a better career than DJ to date is just mind numbing. Even this year, with his two majors, what else did he do the rest of the year? I know he was out injured for a bit, but how many events did he play and what kind of finishes did he have? Vs how many events did DJ play and what kind of finishes did he have?

I get that majors are a big deal, and I enjoy watching them for the spectacle that they are (aside from the PGA, which to me is just like every other week of the year), but that's as far as it goes for me.

Nothing equals a major win. Don’t ever let Mrs Doubtfire tell you otherwise.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag