Goal: +3 Next Summer

stunted

I play at a +1.2... I have good rounds and bad rounds. My only advice I can give to you is that you need to play and play often. I wouldn’t worry about how well you hit irons as long as they’re in play. Off the tee you need to be in play. You cannot penalties from tee shots or irons that leave you in bad places.

Short game plays a big part. You need to be absolutely dialed from 100 and in. If you’re not, forget about scoring.

Putting too. I usually spend at least an hour working on speed control. Set up a ladder drill. I set mine up with the first string 18 feet away, each tile after that being 3 feet away. Hit 3 balls into the first tile, then second, 3rd, 4th, 5th then work back. If you miss one long or short start over. Our club champion who plays off a +1, much better golfer and more consistent than myself, usually takes upwards of an hour on just this drill.

Then hit 100 3 footers in a row. Don’t leave until you are done with that

Unfortunately for me, there is no Skytrak in putting. Appreciate the tips, putting was a struggle for me as a junior. Didn't exactly practice with a purpose so this drill will be helpful.

According to statistics, you would be within 1 standard deviation of your average 68% of the time.

Meaning, you hit within + or - 8.3 yards of your average dispersion 68% of the time.

Or to say it another way... if you are shooting at a pin at 155 yards, you'd hit within a circle that is 16.6 yards (50 feet) in diameter around that pin 2 out of 3 shots.

... based on those 25 shots

Thanks for the math lesson :). Will be handy when looking at numbers. Looks like 2 standard deviations is 95% so that'll be a key stat too.

And that's assuming everything shot on the course is the same. Lie, wind, elevation, pin location, etc etc will skew those statistics

I'm going to need to be REALLY good in practice. Speaking of wind, after practicing with Wilson soft and low spin balls, they are straight up knuckleballs and I gain half a club at least. Plus watching some ball tests, soft balls seem to go further than high compression balls even with high swing speeds. So if less spin is better for playing into the wind, I'm thinking there's a lot of benefits from playing these kind of balls on holes into the wind - retain distance better, hit it straighter, all while still being able to stop the ball.

Only negative is they launch a little higher, but according to the test only with irons.

Guys who have seen pros play or practice, what % would they hit inside a target 20 yards wide? The average +3? How many would they centerline? I keep bringing up basketball because that's the only thing with percentages I can make. All I've heard is Moe Norman would probably centerline it every time and that every pro looks like a major winner on the practice tee.

I play at a +1.2... I have good rounds and bad rounds. My only advice I can give to you is that you need to play and play often. I wouldn’t worry about how well you hit irons as long as they’re in play. Off the tee you need to be in play. You cannot penalties from tee shots or irons that leave you in bad places.

Short game plays a big part. You need to be absolutely dialed from 100 and in. If you’re not, forget about scoring.

Putting too. I usually spend at least an hour working on speed control. Set up a ladder drill. I set mine up with the first string 18 feet away, each tile after that being 3 feet away. Hit 3 balls into the first tile, then second, 3rd, 4th, 5th then work back. If you miss one long or short start over. Our club champion who plays off a +1, much better golfer and more consistent than myself, usually takes upwards of an hour on just this drill.

Unfortunately for me, there is no Skytrak in putting. Appreciate the tips, putting was a struggle for me as a junior. Didn't exactly practice with a purpose so this drill will be helpful

I don’t care about a skytrak. It’s not going to be the same as when you play. Uneven lies and the quality of lies will constantly change. Can you hit out of a divot on your skytrak? All I’m saying is that a simulator is not as good as being there in person.

Unfortunately for me, there is no Skytrak in putting. Appreciate the tips, putting was a struggle for me as a junior. Didn't exactly practice with a purpose so this drill will be helpful.

According to statistics, you would be within 1 standard deviation of your average 68% of the time.

Meaning, you hit within + or - 8.3 yards of your average dispersion 68% of the time.

Or to say it another way... if you are shooting at a pin at 155 yards, you'd hit within a circle that is 16.6 yards (50 feet) in diameter around that pin 2 out of 3 shots.

Thanks for the math lesson :). Will be handy when looking at numbers. Looks like 2 standard deviations is 95% so that'll be a key stat too.

And that's assuming everything shot on the course is the same. Lie, wind, elevation, pin location, etc etc will skew those statistics

I'm going to need to be REALLY good in practice. Speaking of wind, after practicing with Wilson soft and low spin balls, they are straight up knuckleballs and I gain half a club at least. Plus watching some ball tests, soft balls seem to go further than high compression balls even with high swing speeds. So if less spin is better for playing into the wind, I'm thinking there's a lot of benefits from playing these kind of balls on holes into the wind - retain distance better, hit it straighter, all while still being able to stop the ball.

Only negative is they launch a little higher, but according to the test only with irons.

Guys who have seen pros play or practice, what % would they hit inside a target 20 yards wide? The average +3? How many would they centerline? I keep bringing up basketball because that's the only thing with percentages I can make. All I've heard is Moe Norman would probably centerline it every time and that every pro looks like a major winner on the practice tee.

Based on shot link, average approach distance to pin from 125-150 yards (no standard deviation info given):

Reteif Goosen is the lowest ranked on tour at about 30 feet (10 yards). Jordan Spieth is at 3rd with about 19 feet. Just guessing here since we don’t have all the data, but a pro would probably hit a 20 yard (60 feet) wide target 90+% of the time.

Put that pro on a perfect surface like you are hitting of and I bet it goes up.

No info on +3.

I’m a +2 and I only keep gir, not approach distance stats. Based purely on my last trip to top golf and hitting the blue target , I’d say I could do it 80% of the time. ? ?

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

I hope you do it. I think it is possible to get to a +3, but to have an index that low is hard to mathematically get to within a year from a 3.

For what it's worth, my index this year has ranged from 0.2 to 0.0 with 15 rounds. There is very little deviation at this point even though I feel like this year has had some inconsistencies for me. Only 10 scores go into the calculation so you need to have 10 low scores always being used. I believe you will have to have several really low rounds to bring your index down 6 points.

Overview of my 2018 GHIN:

Low: 65 (-7)

High: 84 (+12. Highest round in 4 years) (Next highest score this year is a 76)

Avg score: 74.4.

Only 1 tournament score: 72 (+1)

I believe you would probably have to have an average around 69 to be a +3. A bunch of 67/68's in tournaments will definitely help you get to +3 too.

I hope you do it. I think it is possible to get to a +3, but to have an index that low is hard to mathematically get to within a year from a 3.

For what it's worth, my index this year has ranged from 0.2 to 0.0 with 15 rounds. There is very little deviation at this point even though I feel like this year has had some inconsistencies for me. Only 10 scores go into the calculation so you need to have 10 low scores always being used. I believe you will have to have several really low rounds to bring your index down 6 points.

I believe you would probably have to have an average around 69 to be a +3. A bunch of 67/68's in tournaments will definitely help you get to +3 too.

Depends on the course. Could easily average 73-74 and be a +3 on most courses I play. Once someone plays 20 rounds the old rounds aren’t factored in at all.

I don’t care about a skytrak. It’s not going to be the same as when you play. Uneven lies and the quality of lies will constantly change. Can you hit out of a divot on your skytrak? All I’m saying is that a simulator is not as good as being there in person.

Honestly when I played a round after getting it, anything inside 175 felt like a pitch shot. I know the purists hate to hear it and I may eat my words next time I play, but just being honest. It's like practicing putting with a smaller hole, the greens felt enormous. Lots of people think skytrak is overly punishing (they don't factor in spin decay), plus it's easy to nitpick your shots on there. All that makes real approaches feel easy. This was on a windy links course with lots of uneven lies and thick rough.

Based on shot link, average approach distance to pin from 125-150 yards (no standard deviation info given):

Reteif Goosen is the lowest ranked on tour at about 30 feet (10 yards). Jordan Spieth is at 3rd with about 19 feet. Just guessing here since we don't have all the data, but a pro would probably hit a 20 yard (60 feet) wide target 90+% of the time.

Put that pro on a perfect surface like you are hitting of and I bet it goes up.

No info on +3.

I'm a +2 and I only keep gir, not approach distance stats. Based purely on my last trip to top golf and hitting the blue target , I'd say I could do it 80% of the time.

On PGA's site median 125-150 is 71% and from 150-175 64%. Gonna have to be 100/100 from 125-150 on the trak haha. Topgolf is the absolute best, big part of what got me to play again, and also it's brought a few non-golfing friends into the game as well.

Thanks man. Well played on the 65, sounds like you need to get in more rounds this year :)

Honestly when I played a round after getting it, anything inside 175 felt like a pitch shot. I know the purists hate to hear it and I may eat my words next time I play, but just being honest. It's like practicing putting with a smaller hole, the greens felt enormous. Lots of people think skytrak is overly punishing (they don't factor in spin decay), plus it's easy to nitpick your shots on there. All that makes real approaches feel easy. This was on a windy links course with lots of uneven lies and thick rough.

Was it the first shot or tenth on the course that felt like you were hitting a pitch shot from 175? You are all over the map here and I dont mean just your shots from a perfect indoor lie.

You admit having a nearly a 20-yard deviation in distance with a 7 iron at home but miraculously hitting from 175 is like hitting pitch shots on a course with uneven lies, wind, etc?

" Left-to-right seems correct but front-to-back, my shortest was 153 and longest was 175. Still pretty big but quality of strike should improve with more practice."

This is just one of the many ridiculous comments in both of these threads that cause people to laugh at your incredibly flawed "plan".

Was it the first shot or tenth on the course that felt like you were hitting a pitch shot from 175? You are all over the map here and I dont mean just your shots from a perfect indoor lie.

You admit having a nearly a 20-yard deviation in distance with a 7 iron at home but miraculously hitting from 175 is like hitting pitch shots on a course with uneven lies, wind, etc?

" Left-to-right seems correct but front-to-back, my shortest was 153 and longest was 175. Still pretty big but quality of strike should improve with more practice."

This is just one of the many ridiculous comments that cause people to laugh at your incredibly flawed "plan".

Someone already said it but JonesScott all grown up???

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

giphy.gif

Cute. Just like your theories and results that change daily. You come off as young and inexperienced, far younger than your actual age so I guess your ADD is understandable. Try to focus. Is it hitting 300 balls, basketball, your lack of strength, back injury causing swing that is somehow going to to get you to a +3, perfection off of a mat, your substabdard putting when you were younger, or that you used to play poker, that is relevant today to your quest?

I really think you should make a video blog to instruct all of those fools that have done it the silly way instead of just hitting the same club over and over indoors seeking mythical perfection.

Just so we can keep track, heres your greatest hits in the last couple of weeks.

But about 2 weeks of hitting 100-200 balls (with some off days to rest), and my back finally gave out.

I'm 30 so age doesn't seem like it'd be an issue. I'm slim and fit but not all that strong, would hitting the gym help? I've done some reading on preventing injuries but I see a lot of mixed things.

My goal is to be extremely consistent as well as having a dead straight ball flight. Which is not easy because there's straight, and then there's launch monitor straight

Actually I started off this launch monitor adventure with a draw, and trying to prevent releasing the club too much ended up hurting my wrists. It also didn't solve the problem of hooking too much.

I was hitting 95% 7 irons (I'm going single length soon)

I think I figured out the mechanics to solve the wrist issue, but the back I'm not sure.

I'm not sure how to fix my mechanics to prevent the left rhomboid thing, could just be swinging too hard.

Just trying to see how good I can get, but I'd be veyr happy to be solidly a plus handicap and compete in my state ams next summer. I barely played the last 12 years but a few weeks on the driving range and 2 weeks on skytrak I easily hit it better than I did when I was a 3 in high school. Anything inside 100 I'm absolute trash since I don't practice it, but I'll worry about it if I can hit my ball-striking goals.

Hard to say, only played a round after getting the skytrak, my second round of the summer. On a tough course, first ten holes was bad, last eight things settled in and I was +3. On the holes I had a 9 iron and up, I was 5/7 for greens. The confidence I had on iron shots 180 and in was ridiculous for such a short amount of practice.

You guys are right, you can get good without hitting a ton of balls per day. But I am of the firm belief that to be a ball-striking machine it's absolutely necessary to hit a ton of ballsper day. It was the way for Moe Norman, Vijay, Jagpilotohio in this thread, this guy (a big motivation for this goal), and many others. Steph Curry still shoots hundreds of wide open 3's in practice.

Feel of the game is lost but it really doesn't take long for it to come back. My one round a week after getting a skytrak, the first 10 holes it felt very strange to hit balls on the course. Seeing the ball was weird, alignment was difficult and also hitting indoors, the lines of the room, mat, etc subconsciously guides my swing

Everyone preaching to play and practice short game, I did that in high school, and four years of playing every day a 3 was the best I got. It wasn't a consistent 3, I was in the woods and losing balls a ton, so it was half rounds in the 70s, half blow-up rounds. I realize the importance of short game, but that's to allow me to fire at more pins, instead of saving myself because of bad iron shots

Seriously launch monitors are gamechangers. The feedback is insanely valuable, it has made me so nitpicky to where I can hit center line, but if it was launched 3 degrees to the right with 600 rpm sidespin, I'm not happy with the shot. It made playing on a 77.6 rated course feel easy. If I had even an average short game I would have shot at least par for the last 8 holes.

Read better. I'll be playing on a 77.6/145 championship (luckily public) course. It's basically in my backyard. Here's some simple math for you. 2 weeks of skytrak > 4+ years of doing what you experienced guys recommended. Different things work for different people, and being the analytical type, becoming a hitting machine resonates with me way more than being a feel player

Just so we can keep track, heres your greatest hits in the last couple of weeks.

But about 2 weeks of hitting 100-200 balls (with some off days to rest), and my back finally gave out.

I'm 30 so age doesn't seem like it'd be an issue. I'm slim and fit but not all that strong, would hitting the gym help? I've done some reading on preventing injuries but I see a lot of mixed things.

My goal is to be extremely consistent as well as having a dead straight ball flight. Which is not easy because there's straight, and then there's launch monitor straight

Actually I started off this launch monitor adventure with a draw, and trying to prevent releasing the club too much ended up hurting my wrists. It also didn't solve the problem of hooking too much.

I think I figured out the mechanics to solve the wrist issue, but the back I'm not sure.

I'm not sure how to fix my mechanics to prevent the left rhomboid thing, could just be swinging too hard.

Just trying to see how good I can get, but I'd be veyr happy to be solidly a plus handicap and compete in my state ams next summer. I barely played the last 12 years but a few weeks on the driving range and 2 weeks on skytrak I easily hit it better than I did when I was a 3 in high school. Anything inside 100 I'm absolute trash since I don't practice it, but I'll worry about it if I can hit my ball-striking goals.

Hard to say, only played a round after getting the skytrak, my second round of the summer. On a tough course, first ten holes was bad, last eight things settled in and I was +3. On the holes I had a 9 iron and up, I was 5/7 for greens. The confidence I had on iron shots 180 and in was ridiculous for such a short amount of practice.

You guys are right, you can get good without hitting a ton of balls per day. But I am of the firm belief that to be a ball-striking machine it's absolutely necessary to hit a ton of ballsper day. It was the way for Moe Norman, Vijay, Jagpilotohio in this thread, this guy (a big motivation for this goal), and many others. Steph Curry still shoots hundreds of wide open 3's in practice.

Feel of the game is lost but it really doesn't take long for it to come back. My one round a week after getting a skytrak, the first 10 holes it felt very strange to hit balls on the course. Seeing the ball was weird, alignment was difficult and also hitting indoors, the lines of the room, mat, etc subconsciously guides my swing

Everyone preaching to play and practice short game, I did that in high school, and four years of playing every day a 3 was the best I got. It wasn't a consistent 3, I was in the woods and losing balls a ton, so it was half rounds in the 70s, half blow-up rounds. I realize the importance of short game, but that's to allow me to fire at more pins, instead of saving myself because of bad iron shots

Seriously launch monitors are gamechangers. The feedback is insanely valuable, it has made me so nitpicky to where I can hit center line, but if it was launched 3 degrees to the right with 600 rpm sidespin, I'm not happy with the shot. It made playing on a 77.6 rated course feel easy. If I had even an average short game I would have shot at least par for the last 8 holes.

Read better. I'll be playing on a 77.6/145 championship (luckily public) course. It's basically in my backyard. Here's some simple math for you. 2 weeks of skytrak > 4+ years of doing what you experienced guys recommended. Different things work for different people, and being the analytical type, becoming a hitting machine resonates with me way more than being a feel player

This thread has the makings of something great. Can't wait to see what happens next.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Read just the first page so this may have been mentioned. On the middle of the first page you mentioned dispersion as you goal and pointed out how good you were at left right dispersion. With scoring clubs your distance dispersion is even more vital and in the 20 shots you posted they varied from 143 to 181 carry. That will not work.

Good luck

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

LOL! When I wrote that I knew it was going to trigger people but not to this extent. Please keep it updated for future memories cause this could be a long messy thread.

Read just the first page so this may have been mentioned. On the middle of the first page you mentioned dispersion as you goal and pointed out how good you were at left right dispersion. With scoring clubs your distance dispersion is even more vital and in the 20 shots you posted they varied from 143 to 181 carry. That will not work.

Good luck

You're right, but atm I'm focusing on direction now. Quality of strike should take care of itself with practice.

This thread has the makings of something great. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Its needs kept alive if for no other reason than a warning to help preserve the sanity of future generations of golfers.

Stunted, I’m truly interested to see if the top golf approach to golf works out on the real course. Get out and play a real round to set a baseline. Hit me up if you have any questions... I’ll help where I can.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

You...you know you can't switch ball type during the round. Sure for a casual round it's not big deal but most tournaments will have the one ball rule in effect.

My advice ball wise would be to play a premium ball that gives you short game control and a good blend of spin off the irons and low spin off the driver. ProV1x doesn't seem to care much about the wind for me.

As far as getting to a +3, I have almost gotten back there and for me the biggest key was that my driver has turned into a weapon for me. I have always been fairly long but finding the right setup to allow me to be aggressive with it and use it as a weapon has made a huge difference in my game. I've also started hitting a ton more greens (in part due to the driver and partly due to an iron change that has yielded great results) which leads to very low stress rounds where I can still shoot under par.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Continuing from this thread http://www.golfwrx.c...y-ready-for-it/

Little bit about me - I'm close to a +3. Played golf all throughout my childhood and on the high school team, best I got to was an inconsistent 3. Next dozen years basically didn't play golf, maybe once a year, few times at the range. A few months ago I found 1atomicgolf's youtube channel, where he teaches "Channel Lock" swing. In just a few range sessions I was hitting it way more consistently than I ever did, and I fell in love with golf again. A month ago I purchased Skytrak, and switched away from the Channel Lock swing. It's a great swing but I was drawing the ball a bit and my goal is a near dead-straight ball flight.

+3, am I crazy? My theory is that I can get my swing to where I am hitting 95/100 7 irons inside 10 yards left/right from the center line on Skytrak (solidly struck), and something similar with the driver. Why is 95% important? The inspiration behind this is Steph Curry - he shoots 45% from 3, but I would guess if he was wide open in-game with nobody trying to block it'd be somewhere around 60%. He shoots about 90% on wide open 3's in practice (

), so I figure something above that would mean very elite ball-striking. This guy is also another inspiration, and disproves the idea that launch monitor success can't carry over to the golf course. I plan on upgrading from my 15 year old set of clubs to the Edel single length irons for 7-and-up, should be optimal for what I'm doing (even though I hit my long irons well), but I'm gonna make myself earn them first. I want to be firing at pins on tough, long courses so to me irons are priority. Then I'll work on perfecting the driver, wedges especially, and lastly short game and putting - and start playing a lot next year as well. I'm +3 and better or bust, and analytics has shown long game to be by far the most important. So if I can't hit the ball like I want to (probably by the end of the year), I consider this all a fail and not worth spending time with short game and putting.

How do I hit it now? With my current swing I think I am around 60-70% on Skytrak in hitting it within 10 yards of center. My ball flight is near straight with not a lot of curve even on misses, but I still frequently lose my swing. The one round I was able to play post-skytrak and pre-injury I hit my irons very well, but everything else was bad.

My plan would be to hit 100-150 deliberate full shots a day, checking video and making sure swing plane is right. I may get online coaching, but would be great to figure this out on my own. Pretty happy with my swing right now. I'll keep track of the last 25 or so each day to know where I'm at and to have something to post. Once I can get 80% consistently, I'll start working on drives. Also I'll end each day doing ladder drills with my wedges until I get bored or have other stuff to do. I have injury concerns - already threw out my back, and I have some issues with my hands/wrists/elbows, probably from hitting off mats and range rocks pre-skytrak. I have divotaction which keeps things from getting worse, but it's not getting better. Hopefully switching to graphite, softer balls, bionic gloves, and jumbomax grips will help. I'd like to mix in working out somehow - I'm decently long but if I can average 10 more yards that'd be great. If I can hit all my long game goals, I'll move the goal to 95/100 within 7 yards of center line, as well as going all in on putting and short game.

My back is healed so I'm ready to get this started. I hope this is interesting for you guys to read. I'll post screenshots, weekly stats, etc. Interested in making bets on this too. And I predict a continuation from my last thread of unsolicited advice, and arguing over the importance of short game ;)

I just decided that next year, I'm going to be +3. I have it all planned out. All I have to do is channel lock my drives and groove slap my irons. I have a bad back and everything else is sore but I'm confident my body will heal while I practice everyday because Im going to start using soccer goalie gloves and Im putting tennis racket grips on all my clubs.

Steph Curry's basketball stats make it possible. I've got the numbers, so... its pretty much a certainty.

Anyway, this is just a statement, a two page declaration of my future excellence. Dont give me advice and dont mention the fact that I devoted half a sentence to putting, the most ridiculously important part of the game. Have a nice day internet douches.

What do you mean I can't change the ball up?

I was planning on adjusting the tee's I play from as I go to eliminate any trouble that is on the centre line that I hit 900% of the time. Next you will be telling me I can't do this?!?

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Depends on the course. Could easily average 73-74 and be a +3 on most courses I play. Once someone plays 20 rounds the old rounds aren't factored in at all.

Problem is the guy that posted that has only played 15 rounds this year. So to him it is very difficult or impossible. But I agree with you completely on the rating and scores.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

This is the reincarnation of a user that's already been banned.

I just can't put my finger on who it is just yet.

I would agree. Seems to rough around the edges to be Jonesy.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

The best you've been is a 3, and you're "pretty close to a +3"?

More power to ya, but I'd take action on this, if only because you're not being realistic. Going from a 3 to a +3 is probably 20 times harder than going from a 9 to a 3. It's not a linear progression.

How old are you, and are you going to post up your GHIN with T scores? And will you post video of your swing?

I hit the ball better than a 3 now, but my short game is like a 20. I'll post GHIN when I play more, but I won't be playing much the rest of this year besides random rounds with friends or family. I'll eventually post swing video.

This is how you get better, be ambitions, aim for +3 if you fall short at +1 then great. Last summer I started at 7 and aimed for 4 got there after a few months and then found it hard to reset and aim for lower again, wish I set my target lower

Yup that is what I'm thinking too :)

Getting to + handicap isn't about beating balls till your hands bleed. It's about using your brain on the course, playing smart, minimizing strokes from bad shots, and learning how to score.

Yes, you will probably need be on course 5 days a week to learn these skills. It's s long way from 3 to +3.

I plan to use bluegolf.com to map out courses I play, even home courses. Figure out strategies based on my shot dispersion and short game odds. But I want to train myself to hit the ball like a machine first. Most sports you need to learn the skills and fundamentals before learning plays, otherwise you can't execute the plays, and I see ball striking as the fundamentals.

WAIT. WHAT??!!

You state that your short game is like a 20, you’re now a 3, but you think you can get to a +3?? How does someone with a short game of a 20 even get close to sniffing a 3? And NO WAY you’re coming close to a +3 with a weak short game. Sorry