Why Are The BeCu Ping Eye2 Irons So Expensive?

Asking price or selling price?

I've seen the same high number asks for BeCu Eye2s, but haven't seen them selling for that.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

They are kind of rare and have a VERY COOL factor to some collectors. I would pay up to about $250 for a nice complete (3-W) matching set of Eye 2, ISI or ZING in the BeCu. Some sellers think they'll get big bucks for them, but if you look at GlobaGolf.com and 3Balls.com (same inventory), you'll see more reasonable pricing than the eBay sellers. If you actually find a nice set with matching serial numbers that are 1 iron through LW, they'll bring more in a sale. They're fun to own and show pictures to your forum buddies, and they are playable, but I think the market is diminishing a bit. I had a nice set of wedges (ISI BeCu) SW and LW in my bag for a while and they performed OK for me and were fun conversation pieces. If you collect old PING irons, you NEED at least one set of coppers!

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I don't think I have EVER seen a club generate the amount of hype that the first BeCu Pings did - and in a time when there was no internet to act as an enabler, and the golf media had little or no interest in equipment.

We had a local lad come back from a college scholarship in the states with a set and practically everyone wanted to hit them. I remember the first night he pitched up at the club when he came home for the summer and people, and the contents of his bag, were soon scattered out across the 1st and 18th holes hitting shots from everywhere.

There was a serious debate about whether it was ethical to play them, or whether they were tantamount to cheating, such was their reputation for turning hackers into decent ballstrikers.

There are so many things that play into the BeCu Eye2 mythology - great design, tour usage, forgiveness, weapons grade materials, high toxicity and dashing good looks - it's a perfect storm for high retained value.

I have a set of Eye2 clones in BeCu and I have to say that they are my favourite irons. Ironically they are the first set of clubs I ever owned, buying them used from an old bowling chum around about 1990.

They don't go like modern irons, but they do have weaker lofts and a shaft that is probably getting a bit beyond my abilities, but when struck pure, the feeling is singular to anything else I've ever hit including forged Hogans.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I do remember that the whole square-groove controversy started about 1990, specifically during the Honda Classic. Mark Calcavecchia played a shot from deep rough and the ball did not release when it hit the green. I remember that he played the BeCu Eye2's at the time. This resulted in the USGA banning the clubs and Ping responded with a $100 million lawsuit, and the two parties settled by allowing Eye2's with square grooves legal on the Tour, and it was grandfathered in up until recently.

I think mainly because they are great classic clubs and Pings are durable so there are many sets in good shape and playable. Add to the fact that there is this mystique of the BeCu and it's feel, a feel which is no longer attainable because no one manufactures clubs from that material any longer.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I've played BeCu and stainless steel Eye 2s and ISIs. The BeCu ISIs are still in my bag today!!

There is no difference in feel, but nothing looks better than a set of copper pings with some age on them, nice and dark.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Wooderson-

"I would easily pay 2k plus for a set of becu i210's."

....Except manufacturers no longer make clubs with BeCu, due to the toxicity of the Beryllium compounds in dust or vapor form.*"

Equally logical is the possibility that Ping and other manufacturers stopped producing them without legal pressure and simply thought the health risks were too great to justify continued production.^

*^From an April 2012, article where Tony Portz answered the question why doesn't anyone make BeCu irons any more.

Wooderson-

"I would easily pay 2k plus for a set of becu i210's."

....Except manufacturers no longer make clubs with BeCu, due to the toxicity of the Beryllium compounds in dust or vapor form.*"

Equally logical is the possibility that Ping and other manufacturers stopped producing them without legal pressure and simply thought the health risks were too great to justify continued production.^

*^From an April 2012, article where Tony Portz answered the question why doesn't anyone make BeCu irons any more.

Yeah I've read the negatives of becu. Wish it wasn't toxic stuff. There will never be another set. Is Berryllium the only element that can be combined with copper?

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I do remember that the whole square-groove controversy started about 1990, specifically during the Honda Classic. Mark Calcavecchia played a shot from deep rough and the ball did not release when it hit the green. I remember that he played the BeCu Eye2's at the time. This resulted in the USGA banning the clubs and Ping responded with a $100 million lawsuit, and the two parties settled by allowing Eye2's with square grooves legal on the Tour, and it was grandfathered in up until recently.

It was actually the PGA that tried to ban the grooves, and Ping got an injunction against said ban. That's where the fight really was, not the USGA.

The USGA complaint was always about the width between the grooves; they insisted the distance between grooves should be measured from where the rounding of the edge ceased, while Ping (and others) said it should be from the point of the groove walls.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

You can pick up a nice set of lefty Eye2 becu's on ebay for $1200 if you hurry. :WTF:

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Faulty memory potential here,

But when Calc hit that shot, wasn’t it Nicklaus that bitched about the grooves allowing him to hit that shot at the Honda?

• Like 1

I have a set of Eye2 clones in BeCu and I have to say that they are my favourite irons. Ironically they are the first set of clubs I ever owned, buying them used from an old bowling chum around about 1990.

They don't go like modern irons, but they do have weaker lofts and a shaft that is probably getting a bit beyond my abilities, but when struck pure, the feeling is singular to anything else I've ever hit including forged Hogans.

Well, my friend - I usually agree with what you have to say, but to actually say that they are purer than the feel of forged Hogan irons....

that is a bridge too far.....

• Like 1

to get back to the original question about cost of BeCu irons, maybe this will help.

BeCu is and expensive alloy, way more costly than any type of Stainless steel. Add to that the fact that when the BeCu is smelted or machined, the vapors and grindings give off an emission that is a toxic and hazardous fume.

This was discovered about 2 years after Ping started using the alloy and a few others started copying the product. Then the excrement hit the ventilating equipment.

It truly is softer than steel. Hence, ping touted it as breakthrough in feel...better than forged, mild steel. But manufacturing became very problematic.

As an aside, the reason that Ping introduced the BeCu in their Eye 2's hoes back to adn engineering change that ping made to get into the ultra-light club market. That was a flash-in -the-pan phenonmena of the late 1980's started by Dave Pelz. Ram followed suit for awhile and Calvin Peete got on board. The whole thing blew over after about 2 seasons. In the meantime, however, Ping reengineered a lot of mold products to accomodate the lighter clubhead. Then they were stuck wit hmold for super light clubheads that the market no longer wanted. So their R&D dept started hunting for and alloy that, when cast in the newer molds, would weigh in near stainless. Enter Beryllium Copper. New "advanced" tech irons that probably saved some guys' jobs at Ping.

I can't attest to this as eing gospel. But a buddy of mine's sister played on the LPGA and was on Pings's staff during that time. He got the story from her.

Uncle Bob

to get back to the original question about cost of BeCu irons, maybe this will help.

BeCu is and expensive alloy, way more costly than any type of Stainless steel. Add to that the fact that when the BeCu is smelted or machined, the vapors and grindings give off an emission that is a toxic and hazardous fume.

This was discovered about 2 years after Ping started using the alloy and a few others started copying the product. Then the excrement hit the ventilating equipment.

It truly is softer than steel. Hence, ping touted it as breakthrough in feel...better than forged, mild steel. But manufacturing became very problematic.

As an aside, the reason that Ping introduced the BeCu in their Eye 2's hoes back to adn engineering change that ping made to get into the ultra-light club market. That was a flash-in -the-pan phenonmena of the late 1980's started by Dave Pelz. Ram followed suit for awhile and Calvin Peete got on board. The whole thing blew over after about 2 seasons. In the meantime, however, Ping reengineered a lot of mold products to accomodate the lighter clubhead. Then they were stuck wit hmold for super light clubheads that the market no longer wanted. So their R&D dept started hunting for and alloy that, when cast in the newer molds, would weigh in near stainless. Enter Beryllium Copper. New "advanced" tech irons that probably saved some guys' jobs at Ping.

I can't attest to this as eing gospel. But a buddy of mine's sister played on the LPGA and was on Pings's staff during that time. He got the story from her.

Uncle Bob

IIRC Brian Manzella once posted up a very similar account to that story. In simplistic terms, the heads were made lighter by enlarging the cavity. When "superlite" turned out to be a bust, BeCu saved the day as the heavier material that would bring those heads back up to normal weights - but with a larger cavity meaning even more perimeter weighting/forgiveness. By that version, the BeCus may actually have performed better than their steel cousins. The perimeter weighting in those heads was redesigned from Eye2 to Eye2+, so it may be a moot point whether any advantage carried over into the later heads.

I can't speak to the softness of the Ping BeCus - but I have a few Hogan copper wedges which appear to be VERY durable but not as soft feeling as their steel counterparts.

I've never had BeCu Eye2's but I've owned ISI's. I always felt the nickel ISI's felt better than the BeCu's.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

• 4 years later...
11 hours ago, Mark56 said:

I have a set of Ping Eye 2’s becu

1-SW.  green dots.  Are they worth anything?  

Get on eBay and take a look at sold prices?  Pretty good indicator of what the market thinks.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ping+eye+2+becu+iron+set&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

TM Spider GT-x putter

XXIO bag on MGI Zip AT cart

16 hours ago, Mark56 said:

I recently put together a (black dot) BeCu Eye 2 set to play, and I’m all-in for about $625, for a mismatched 1-L set. The 3-PW were matching, and I cobbled together the rest. The two additional Eye 2 BeCu wedges were over $175 for the pair, and fairly hard to find without promising your first-born child as a down payment. Thanks Phil.

Your set of green dots is probably worth somewhere around that to a collector if they’re in good condition, but that lie angle isn’t in very high demand for people who intend to play them. On the flip side that rarity might make them worth more to a collector. You’d have to list them above the current market price, with a “best offer” option, and see what kind of offers you get.

Edited by Fido5150
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Mark56 said:

IMO You might get $300 on ebay in a frenzied auction.  More than anything they are a collectors item and the fact that you have 1 and 2 irons make them more collectable provided the serial numbers match.  Eye 2 are playable (I have a set I drag out from time to time) but the value has plummeted compared to 15 years ago.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I was at one of the local driving ranges yesterday (in Thailand) to get an Iomic grip on a newly purchased wedge, whilst browsing around probably the most shambolic/dirty pro shop I have ever seen I came across a full set (3 - SW) of Ping Eye 2+ BeCu irons, orange dot with the Graffaloy graphite shafts. They were in surprisingly good condition. They are looking for $300 for these. If a collector here is interested let me know.

• Like 1

Driver - Tour Edge C722 10.5°, Ventus Red 6S

3 Wood - Callaway Paradym 15º, Ventus TR Blue 6S

3 - 4 Hybrid - Tour Edge C722, Ventus Blue 8S

5 - PW Mizuno MP 223, Nippon 950GH Neo S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 52.09 (Bent to 50.07), 54.09 & 58.12, DG S200

Putter - TaylorMade Spider X Hydro, KBS CT Tour (Matt Black) 120, SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol 1.0

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 8:29 PM, Mark56 said:

Are they lefty by chance?

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]