First Junior Tournament

nix

I think you’ve completely missed the point.

You SHOULD be proud of your son and there’s nothing wrong with the scores he shot. But he SHOULD also feel that those scores aren’t good enough and use that experience as motivation to get better. He’s being negative over where he finished is a good thing and simply part of being competitive. You only get better by failing, failing is a good thing as long as you recognize that you failed. If he is told he’s very good when he isn’t, he doesn’t stand much of a chance at actually becoming really good. You can be positive about some things while also being realistic and critical of others. Accurate feedback is one of the most important things in skill development.

OP: It is obvious that you are frustrated and angry at this thread. That said, the above post from Iteach hits the point and hopefully you see the light.

There is some really good advice on all these threads, hopefully your son continues to compete and you realize what it means to be a good junior golfer.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People were right when they talked about junior golf and the people involved.

LOL... You have gotten nothing but the truth in this thread. The problem is you not being able to admit that you don't know what you are talking about. I think it is great that your kid loves golf. I think it is great he wants to play in tournaments. Fact of the matter is a 68 is not a good score anyway you look at it. With a love of the game and an understanding of what he needs to work on he can get better. I coached Football and Basketball for a good portion of my life. You learn more from failing than you do from succeeding. Don't take what is said as personal. It is truthful and sometime the truth hurts.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Nix, thanks for reporting your experience. . Lots of critical responses, disappointing. I really like to hear peoples experiences and stories from all stages of their junior golf journey. I dont think you even asked any questions, you just reported on your his first tmnt experience and it sounds like it went well and you and him both had fun, and you got unsolicited opinions about how crummy US Kids Golf is ???? It doesnt sound like you are setting out to make your child an elite college golfer, so ignore the noise. If you had fun, do it again. If not, dont. Yes it costs money. Everything costs Money, experiences cost money. Nothing wrong with paying US Kids fees to be a part of something that you both enjoy. This crowd can sometimes forget that not everyone here is trying to maximize their junior golfer to an elite competitive level. This forum can serve well everyone from the guy starting his 4 year old daughter on golf for FUN to someone persuing D1 college scholarships. Keep us posted how he progresses through the season - Its amazing how quickly they can get better during that first season once they figure things out.

I mean not everyone has problems reading. Also, it must be a controversial opinion to wish there were more kids playing competitive golf. But somehow I think this thread gave me a very interesting look into why there aren't. I've honestly learned so much about so many things. Also, my ignore list has added its' first members. Good luck to you all in your journeys.

"There is some really good advice on all these threads, hopefully your son continues to compete and you realize what it means to be a good junior golfer."

FWIW, I don't care "what it means to be a good junior golfer" LIke i don't care even the slightest bit. This is the big thing that you all got lost in. You're OBSESSED with this and almost nobody, including myself actually cares about it. I know, it's' mind-boggling. But it's the truth.

Nix, thanks for reporting your experience. . Lots of critical responses, disappointing. I really like to hear peoples experiences and stories from all stages of their junior golf journey. I dont think you even asked any questions, you just reported on your his first tmnt experience and it sounds like it went well and you and him both had fun, and you got unsolicited opinions about how crummy US Kids Golf is ???? It doesnt sound like you are setting out to make your child an elite college golfer, so ignore the noise. If you had fun, do it again. If not, dont. Yes it costs money. Everything costs Money, experiences cost money. Nothing wrong with paying US Kids fees to be a part of something that you both enjoy. This crowd can sometimes forget that not everyone here is trying to maximize their junior golfer to an elite competitive level. This forum can serve well everyone from the guy starting his 4 year old daughter on golf for FUN to someone persuing D1 college scholarships. Keep us posted how he progresses through the season - Its amazing how quickly they can get better during that first season once they figure things out.

I mean not everyone has problems reading. Also, it must be a controversial opinion to wish there were more kids playing competitive golf. But somehow I think this thread gave me a very interesting look into why there aren't. I've honestly learned so much about so many things. Also, my ignore list has added its' first members. Good luck to you all in your journeys.

"There is some really good advice on all these threads, hopefully your son continues to compete and you realize what it means to be a good junior golfer."

FWIW, I don't care "what it means to be a good junior golfer" LIke i don't care even the slightest bit. This is the big thing that you all got lost in. You're OBSESSED with this and almost nobody, including myself actually cares about it. I know, it's' mind-boggling. But it's the truth.

Then why post that your kid shot a 58 and 68, but is a really good golfer?

When I read the OP, I thought this thread had to be a joke.

I think you've completely missed the point.

You SHOULD be proud of your son and there's nothing wrong with the scores he shot. But he SHOULD also feel that those scores aren't good enough and use that experience as motivation to get better. He's being negative over where he finished is a good thing and simply part of being competitive. You only get better by failing, failing is a good thing as long as you recognize that you failed. If he is told he's very good when he isn't, he doesn't stand much of a chance at actually becoming really good. You can be positive about some things while also being realistic and critical of others. Accurate feedback is one of the most important things in skill development.

OP: It is obvious that you are frustrated and angry at this thread. That said, the above post from Iteach hits the point and hopefully you see the light.

There is some really good advice on all these threads, hopefully your son continues to compete and you realize what it means to be a good junior golfer.

Also, while I can't stop someone from providing their personal opinion on a situation they know nothing about. I neither asked for it, need it or desire it. It's pretty astonishing someone can think they understand a situation when they actually have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Carry on.

You SHOULD be proud of your son and there's nothing wrong with the scores he shot. But he SHOULD also feel that those scores aren't good enough and use that experience as motivation to get better. He's being negative over where he finished is a good thing and simply part of being competitive. You only get better by failing, failing is a good thing as long as you recognize that you failed. If he is told he's very good when he isn't, he doesn't stand much of a chance at actually becoming really good. You can be positive about some things while also being realistic and critical of others. Accurate feedback is one of the most important things in skill development.

Also, while I can't stop someone from providing their personal opinion on a situation they know nothing about. I neither asked for it, need it or desire it. It's pretty astonishing someone can think they understand a situation when they actually have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Carry on.

Why do you keep responding?

If you think someone is trolling, resist the urge to counter-troll.

And in case it wasn’t clear: those scores are nowhere near average!

Good luck this weekend.

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/local/find-tournament/500761/adams-pointe-golf-club/tee-times

Good luck this weekend.

http://www.uskidsgol...-club/tee-times

Like you haven't been blocked by Nix. LOL

Like you didn’t know that quoting HH opens the post up to nix, unless you’ve been blocked, too.

150 isn't long for a boy who is 9 or 10. Not even close. Where I live girls 7-8 drive it 130-150+. One happens to live with me. 150 for a boy thats short, very short.

This should give you an idea re driving distances. Now this was an elevated tee shot off 1 on Bethpage green.

https://app.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/appe_metpgaepowers13/event/appe_metpgaepowers1348m/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

150 isn't long for a boy who is 9 or 10. Not even close. Where I live girls 7-8 drive it 130-150+. One happens to live with me. 150 for a boy thats short, very short.

This should give you an idea re driving distances. Now this was an elevated tee shot off 1 on Bethpage green.

https://app.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/appe_metpgaepowers13/event/appe_metpgaepowers1348m/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Those are point totals, not driving distances

https://app.bluegolf...leaderboard.htm

had to be quite elevated because I know one of those girls and she is no where near that long. Downwind too. She jumped 40+ yards from her local. I saw that is a very skewed numbers for averages.

51 points for a 10-11y/o girl is radiculous. She was maybe 10-20 yards off the 15 y/o boys. She out drive all but three boys in the entire competition.

Those are point totals, not driving distances

Click on the kids name and it will expand their results.

Ah thanks

Must be very elevated tees!

51 points for a 10-11y/o girl is radiculous. She was maybe 10-20 yards off the 15 y/o boys. She out drive all but three boys in the entire competition.

You can’t compare DCP results form one event to another. The setups can vary a lot in this case probably elevated tees or perhaps it was firm and there was a lot Rollout.

DCP is 9 shots and if all shots go well you in. My kids miss goi g to regionals because her drive misses the fairway and she missread the speed on a 30 foot putt.

Having said that 150 for a 9 or 10 year old is not long at all. My 7 year old drives 110-120 and she is a girl. My 11 years girl is 200 yard plus driver. None of them are anywhere near the long boys there age.

I know you can’t necessarily compare setups between venues. But I’ve spent my fair share of time looking up scores. That’s three 180-190 drives, in the grid, for a 10 yr old girl. More importantly, only three boys were able to top that. At the same venue.

I had two thoughts when I read that- first, it must have been some rollout. Having said that, my daughter plays with a local girl that can do that. She just has trouble keeping it in the grid, so she never quite manages to advance. But she tears up the USKids local. Most of the girls avg about 140-150. Second thought, maybe there is some crazy hill at about 200 yards, because there really weren’t too many scores higher than hers in any age group.

My son was at that DCP held at Bethpage. The kids are hitting off a tee box on top of a huge hill (it is used for sled riding in the winter). It was downwind that day so,yes, the driving results are skewed.

It wasn’t more than 30 yards skewed. I would say maybe 20 yards. Downwind? Like 5 mph? It wasn’t blowing fiercely. Elevated, yes. I mentioned that originally. But no more than 20 yards. It’s not like they were hitting off a cliff. If you want a visual, 1 on green is pretty much a shorter mirror of 1 off Black. So that’s the elevation and tee shot (think 1 off bethpage black or YouTube it). My point is that those are true measured numbers to give an idea of how far kids hit. Subtract 20 yards. Still should give a decent idea. The 10-11 girl that won is like 5’6”. They did let kids hit real chrome softs.

My son was at that DCP held at Bethpage. The kids are hitting off a tee box on top of a huge hill (it is used for sled riding in the winter). It was downwind that day so,yes, the driving results are skewed.

It wasn't more than 30 yards skewed. I would say maybe 20 yards. Downwind? Like 5 mph? It wasn't blowing fiercely. Elevated, yes. I mentioned that originally. But no more than 20 yards. It's not like they were hitting off a cliff. If you want a visual, 1 on green is pretty much a shorter mirror of 1 off Black. So that's the elevation and tee shot (think 1 off bethpage black or YouTube it). My point is that those are true measured numbers to give an idea of how far kids hit. Subtract 20 yards. Still should give a decent idea. The 10-11 girl that won is like 5'6". They did let kids hit real chrome softs.

I know one of the girls in the 7-8 year old and its probably off by 50-60 yards. We played with her, and friend of ours has as well. Unless since worlds she gained 60 yards off the tee I'd say these numbers are very skewed. But given the course setup and conditions it is what it is.

It wasn't more than 30 yards skewed. I would say maybe 20 yards. Downwind? Like 5 mph? It wasn't blowing fiercely. Elevated, yes. I mentioned that originally. But no more than 20 yards. It's not like they were hitting off a cliff. If you want a visual, 1 on green is pretty much a shorter mirror of 1 off Black. So that's the elevation and tee shot (think 1 off bethpage black or YouTube it). My point is that those are true measured numbers to give an idea of how far kids hit. Subtract 20 yards. Still should give a decent idea. The 10-11 girl that won is like 5'6". They did let kids hit real chrome softs.

I know one of the girls in the 7-8 year old and its probably off by 50-60 yards. We played with her, and friend of ours has as well. Unless since worlds she gained 60 yards off the tee I'd say these numbers are very skewed. But given the course setup and conditions it is what it is.

How far did your daughter out drive her?

In younger players, I can see this being the case. It was soggy at Pinehurst this year with little to no roll out. When you hit a knuckle ball at a low launch angle (like most 7 year olds), I’m sure the elevation and roll out came more into play. I’m talking about the older divisions. I saw no more than 20 yards in distance gain due to set up. The only point was to confirm what others have said - boys 9-10 at the upper levels of swing speed all drive 180+.

Isn't this highly dependent on launch angle?

I would have thought that the effect due to elevation on two tee shots with exact same ball speed, a higher launch is likely to have less increase in distance from the elevated tee box than a tee shot with a lower launch angle.

And FWIW anecdotally, I have seen some of the players on that leader board in person. Many of them cannot come close to their DCP yardages minus 20-30yds - probably closer to minus 40-50yds. For some of the others, 20yds might be an reasonable approximation.

• 3 weeks later...