Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

The other day, I noticed that South Broadway CC was offering half-priced lessons and that they finally got the bar open. I booked a lesson with Kelly for Wednesday (the bar being open tipped the scales). So, for those of you who haven’t been there, I thought I’d offer a review of sorts.

First, the facility is first class. It has a great open-air feel and I think he spent a good chunk of change on the bar. I think parking could become an issue when the place becomes popular, but I parked out back and walked right in the back door.

The trackman simulator seemed to be much more realistic (accurate) than some of the other simulators I’ve been on. I think he may regret only having two should this place get popular.

The lesson was good – mostly analysis for the first one – not a lot of instruction. I’ve been taking some lessons from a place (I won’t name them) where I got a package deal for three lessons. After the second lesson, I lost faith in the instructors (I don’t believe they were listening or paying attention to me) and have not been back (I’ll eat the cost of the last lesson).

I think Kelly knows his stuff. What he critiqued me on made so much more sense (and was more in line with my own analysis) than the other instructions. While I probably won’t buy the package deal (past experience has me leery), I can say without a doubt I will book more lessons with Kelly.

I think this is a fun environment for golf enthusiasts. I can picture a Ryder Cup watching get together for Colorado WRX members. A good place to watch and tell lies about our game… and we could probably get a couple games going in the TrackMan bays.

Note: I was not paid or asked to post this. Just my honest review/opinion.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random question of the day. How’s the golf in Colorado Springs? Contemplating moving somewhere new before I get kids and responsibilities and stuff.

Colorado comes highly recommended, but I’ve never gotten an opinion from a golfer.

I'm a fan of some Colorado Springs-ish courses. Definitely more on the north side of town.

Antler Creek, King's Deer, Pine Creek are the 3 I travel down to. Mostly in the off season when rates are super super cheap.

Random question of the day. How’s the golf in Colorado Springs? Contemplating moving somewhere new before I get kids and responsibilities and stuff.

Colorado comes highly recommended, but I’ve never gotten an opinion from a golfer.

Colorado sucks. I wouldn’t come here. Minnesota is much nicer.

Care to elaborate?

Have you ever had to shovel 14” of snow off your driveway in April, or have to wear cart gloves and long underwear in mid September?

It's a joke. You can play year round. Driving ranges will more than likely be on mats at most courses. There are temp greens at some courses in the winter etc. Colorado Springs doesn't really have great courses other than Broadmoor. There are several good courses though I'm sure. I've played Springs Ranch and that is a good one. Heard good things about Patty Jewett and Antler Creek.

Care to elaborate?

Have you ever had to shovel 14” of snow off your driveway in April, or have to wear cart gloves and long underwear in mid September?

Just 14"? Is it 4th of July already?

I just got back from Home Depot with lumber to repair my fence from yesterday's wild buffalo stampede.

Be right back, someone just shot the canon, which means an Injun raid is imminent. I hope they don't cut down the telegraph poles this time.

Dammit, it's starting to snow again....

:D

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

In other news, the greens at South Suburban weren't impossible yesterday. On the first few holes, we all played way too much break and speed, so downhill putts were left short above the hole, and uphill putts were five feet past the hole (which left a downhill putt). The problem was that they were really bumpy, so they are in desperate need of a rolling. My game was meh. I couldn't hit the greens on my approach shots, and the ball ended up in very difficult lies near the green.

In other news, the greens at South Suburban weren't impossible yesterday. On the first few holes, we all played way too much break and speed, so downhill putts were left short above the hole, and uphill putts were five feet past the hole (which left a downhill putt). The problem was that they were really bumpy, so they are in desperate need of a rolling. My game was meh. I couldn't hit the greens on my approach shots, and the ball ended up in very difficult lies near the green.

I thought I saw that they just top dressed them on Tuesday.

Care to elaborate?

Just 14"? Is it 4th of July already?

I just got back from Home Depot with lumber to repair my fence from yesterday's wild buffalo stampede.

Be right back, someone just shot the canon, which means an Injun raid is imminent. I hope they don't cut down the telegraph poles this time.

Dammit, it's starting to snow again....

:D

Damn I was really hoping to move somewhere that doesn’t run the risk of my car being obliterated by cannons or my dog being taken away by pterodactyls.

I thank you for your kind input. I am going to check with the northern Canada WRX’ers on their current war/dinosaur conditions.

Damn I was really hoping to move somewhere that doesn’t run the risk of my car being obliterated by cannons or my dog being taken away by pterodactyls.

I thank you for your kind input. I am going to check with the northern Canada WRX’ers on their current war/dinosaur conditions.

We Coloradans always provide real, accurate information to discourage encourage people to move here. :)

Gotta go. It's my turn to ride shotgun on the Wells Fargo stagecoach into town. Now where did my Pinkerton badge go....

So true...

(Woohoo... thread post #1600.)

If you're ok with the possible bad weather in the off season, yeah it beats most of the high end resort costs in the US assuming you can get a reasonable flight. Plus you can get on just about every course. Almost all the top private courses over there follow the model of allowing non members to play at certain times. If you really like it and start making trips every year or two, there are some screaming overseas membership deals which can make it much cheaper than the regular package deals.

And links golf is the best golf. Fast and firm is much more fun compared to the typical aerial American target golf. Get a good rain suit and rain gloves and bring the same type of thin clothes layers you would wear for skiing and the weather won't be much of a bother. This last spring (or maybe it was last year, I don't remember) was pretty severe where they had snow much later and much further south than normal, but usually that isn't a concern.

Sounds like you have been =). I have never played outside the US, besides Canada which I don't really count.

Researching the weather would be the big factor of concern that time of year. I have a full Goretex rain gear and all the base layers we use locally too.

The flight as you mentioned was the key in the price as I found if you pick the right days / time you can get tickets for $570-650 round trip, other days it will be double that. Just have to be flexible and maybe an extra hour or two layover at a spot.

The private courses access is what surprised me the most, pretty crazy, not sure how else to say it. Every course allows access, some are restricted to specific week days and times but still available. Pretty much everything is walking but what is pretty cool is all offer the motorized/remote controlled 3 wheel carts. Great for the 36 hole days or if you don't take a caddie. Of course with courses built over 100 years ago cart paths where not part the game ;)

Already have a "hall pass" to go to just need to talk Krush or McCourtney into going there over Bandon LOL

Two other issues are that some courses close off tees and sometimes greens or whole holes in the winter and almost all of them make you hit off a mat when hitting shots in the fairway in the winter time to preserve the fescue fairways. Many stop this at the end of February, but some top courses enforce it through the end of March (The old course being one of those). And yes - everybody uses push/pull carts over there and walks.

This (https://www.divotend.com/) is supposedly much better than the mats they give you to use and actually gives you the feeling of making a divot.

Excellent point. Will have too look into that. I know Brian noted it about St Andrews, but did not even dawn on me to think about it as we never deal with that here.

I'm picking up some rain pants from REI or Backcountry this weekend during their Labor Day sales. I'll need them since we're going to be out and about every day we're over there for vacation. I'm going to get that Divotend mat and carry it with me as well. I considered for a night not playing while there, then woke up and laughed about how nuts that thought was. Playing Prince's Golf Club in Southeast England, possibly the Belfry, and trying to get on as a single at St. Andrews. I may tack on another day in Wales, but I'm not sure. Probably either Royal Porthcawl or Celtic Manor.

Getting VERY excited about the trip...I just wish it was November already!

Also, to add to Ireland: I remember it being very expensive when we were there this summer. The coaches played at Portmarnock and while I didn't play, I think fees were easily over £150.

Brian, did you plan on water proofing your golf bag as well or taking a water proof bag. I've never been but will the the talk about bad weather I thought I'd throw that our there as well.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

If you're ok with the possible bad weather in the off season, yeah it beats most of the high end resort costs in the US assuming you can get a reasonable flight. Plus you can get on just about every course. Almost all the top private courses over there follow the model of allowing non members to play at certain times. If you really like it and start making trips every year or two, there are some screaming overseas membership deals which can make it much cheaper than the regular package deals.

And links golf is the best golf. Fast and firm is much more fun compared to the typical aerial American target golf. Get a good rain suit and rain gloves and bring the same type of thin clothes layers you would wear for skiing and the weather won't be much of a bother. This last spring (or maybe it was last year, I don't remember) was pretty severe where they had snow much later and much further south than normal, but usually that isn't a concern.

Sounds like you have been =). I have never played outside the US, besides Canada which I don't really count.

Researching the weather would be the big factor of concern that time of year. I have a full Goretex rain gear and all the base layers we use locally too.

The flight as you mentioned was the key in the price as I found if you pick the right days / time you can get tickets for $570-650 round trip, other days it will be double that. Just have to be flexible and maybe an extra hour or two layover at a spot.

The private courses access is what surprised me the most, pretty crazy, not sure how else to say it. Every course allows access, some are restricted to specific week days and times but still available. Pretty much everything is walking but what is pretty cool is all offer the motorized/remote controlled 3 wheel carts. Great for the 36 hole days or if you don't take a caddie. Of course with courses built over 100 years ago cart paths where not part the game ;)

Already have a "hall pass" to go to just need to talk Krush or McCourtney into going there over Bandon LOL

Two other issues are that some courses close off tees and sometimes greens or whole holes in the winter and almost all of them make you hit off a mat when hitting shots in the fairway in the winter time to preserve the fescue fairways. Many stop this at the end of February, but some top courses enforce it through the end of March (The old course being one of those). And yes - everybody uses push/pull carts over there and walks.

This (https://www.divotend.com/) is supposedly much better than the mats they give you to use and actually gives you the feeling of making a divot.

Excellent point. Will have too look into that. I know Brian noted it about St Andrews, but did not even dawn on me to think about it as we never deal with that here.

I'm picking up some rain pants from REI or Backcountry this weekend during their Labor Day sales. I'll need them since we're going to be out and about every day we're over there for vacation. I'm going to get that Divotend mat and carry it with me as well. I considered for a night not playing while there, then woke up and laughed about how nuts that thought was. Playing Prince's Golf Club in Southeast England, possibly the Belfry, and trying to get on as a single at St. Andrews. I may tack on another day in Wales, but I'm not sure. Probably either Royal Porthcawl or Celtic Manor.

Getting VERY excited about the trip...I just wish it was November already!

Also, to add to Ireland: I remember it being very expensive when we were there this summer. The coaches played at Portmarnock and while I didn't play, I think fees were easily over £150.

Your right. If you play it during the summer it’s around 150 Euro. RCD is 235 pounds...!!! It changes to peak rates April 1st. End of March everything is 60% less.... all based on one day. *RCD does pro rate by month in April

Mainly from what I can tell is because it’s only 50 degrees during day average and cool at night. Go during peak and almost everything is the same price but the cost of golf goes up by a significant amount.

Still seems like it might worth it....

So I have scheduled an iron fitting with GolfTec for a Tuesday night at their Family Sports location. If you had a choice of hitting on an actual range like with GolfTec or inside a bay at Club Champion, which one would you choose?

How did the fitting go?

I moved it to next Tuesday. Too much going on this week.

And... I have to cancel. Too much going on next week, too.

So I have scheduled an iron fitting with GolfTec for a Tuesday night at their Family Sports location. If you had a choice of hitting on an actual range like with GolfTec or inside a bay at Club Champion, which one would you choose?

How did the fitting go?

I moved it to next Tuesday. Too much going on this week.

And... I have to cancel. Too much going on next week, too.

You are just afraid that they are going to fit you into some non-Pings ;)

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Brian, did you plan on water proofing your golf bag as well or taking a water proof bag. I've never been but will the the talk about bad weather I thought I'd throw that our there as well.

I actually only considered that this morning. I don't have space for a new bag, nor budget to justify the purchase. I think I'll look into heavily waterproofing what I can, and then throw valuables in a plastic bag. I'm not super worried as long as they have a place to dry out.

The other day, I noticed that South Broadway CC was offering half-priced lessons and that they finally got the bar open. I booked a lesson with Kelly for Wednesday (the bar being open tipped the scales). So, for those of you who haven’t been there, I thought I’d offer a review of sorts.

First, the facility is first class. It has a great open-air feel and I think he spent a good chunk of change on the bar. I think parking could become an issue when the place becomes popular, but I parked out back and walked right in the back door.

The trackman simulator seemed to be much more realistic (accurate) than some of the other simulators I’ve been on. I think he may regret only having two should this place get popular.

The lesson was good – mostly analysis for the first one – not a lot of instruction. I’ve been taking some lessons from a place (I won’t name them) where I got a package deal for three lessons. After the second lesson, I lost faith in the instructors (I don’t believe they were listening or paying attention to me) and have not been back (I’ll eat the cost of the last lesson).

I think Kelly knows his stuff. What he critiqued me on made so much more sense (and was more in line with my own analysis) than the other instructions. While I probably won’t buy the package deal (past experience has me leery), I can say without a doubt I will book more lessons with Kelly.

I think this is a fun environment for golf enthusiasts. I can picture a Ryder Cup watching get together for Colorado WRX members. A good place to watch and tell lies about our game… and we could probably get a couple games going in the TrackMan bays.

I'd love to do a Ryder Cup watch there if I'm in town.

Also, looks like I'll have Saturday, Sept. 15 wide open. May try to play 36. Anyone interested in joining for anything?

I actually only considered that this morning. I don't have space for a new bag, nor budget to justify the purchase. I think I'll look into heavily waterproofing what I can, and then throw valuables in a plastic bag. I'm not super worried as long as they have a place to dry out.

Also, looks like I'll have Saturday, Sept. 15 wide open. May try to play 36. Anyone interested in joining for anything?

We need to get out to do some business. Unfortunately, we're in San Diego on the 15th.

We just started a new project last week. Let me get settled in and see what the schedule looks like and I'll send you some dates. If it's truly business, can you do a weekday?

Also, it's time to plan the COWRX 2018 Outing.

I'm no weather man, so predicting wind/rain is impossible, but I think if we play earlier in the year, we have a better shot at a good day.

I'll toss out some dates I'm around and we can discuss from there:

Saturday/Sunday - August 4/5

Saturday/Sunday - August 11/12 (both days I'd have to be back by 4PM)

Saturday/Sunday - August 18/19 (preferred)

Saturday/Sunday - September 22/23

Saturday/Sunday - October 6/7

I'm out most of Sept. for U.S. Soccer duty, and may have a work trip the last weekend in August as well, and am at a wedding the third weekend in Sept. as well. These days above are probably the ones I could easily do...but if something works better for the group, that's fine!

Location suggestions?

Just bumping this up to the front page. Since August is gone (I just realized next Saturday is September 1st). I can do September 22/23 or October 6/7.

We need to get out to do some business. Unfortunately, we're in San Diego on the 15th.

We just started a new project last week. Let me get settled in and see what the schedule looks like and I'll send you some dates. If it's truly business, can you do a weekday?

Weekdays are good for me. I just have to find a sitter, or if it's a Friday, my wife's off every other week. You know how to find me!

Got out and played Red Hawk Ridge this morning for the first time this season. Had the first tee time of the morning, and we finished, at a pretty relaxed pace, in 3:40. Obviously no one in front of us, and the group behind never got within a hole of us. I wish every round could be that way. 11/13 fairways and 10/18 greens... my short game and putting was a disaster though. I had SEVEN 3-putts. Oh well... good to get out after having a few weeks away for various reasons.

I'm not sure if I can swing 36 that day or not (I'll have to see what the wife has planned), but I'd likely be up for at least playing an early round. Where were you thinking about playing?

Well, this weekend golf happened.

And by that, I mean, shot my highest round of 2018 (86) during a tournament. Then the following day, went out and shot a casual 75 at GVR during a "fun" round.

Saturday, I started off hitting the first 4 GIRs, and was +3. Yup, I had THREE 3-putts in the first 4 holes. Followed by 3 double bogies in a row on the back 9. Nothing felt right. All irons and wedges were making contact with the ground a few inches behind the ball. Coming up short on every single approach. Couldn't scramble or putt to save my life. 38 putts total, including about 5 missed putts inside of 3 feet. It was just down right embarrassing.

Then Sunday, everything felt AMAZING. Like, I had multiple holes where my irons were sticking to inside 5 feet for super good looks at birdies. Including this near hole-in-one on number 8.

Y2vwrY0.jpg

Not to mention reaching the green in 2 on #9 (by laying up to the left side of the creek), only to 3-putt par it. But man, oh man, did everything just click and feel great on Sunday. If only I could get that going when it matters.

LOL, do you want my 50 yard miss too?

Just 50? I'll trade you!

Played the cga mid-am qualifier at Tiara Rado today; shot 80 which was right on my index so that felt pretty good. Was my first ever non-handicapped tournament. Was nervous to start but settled in pretty nicely. Didn't 3 putt all day and made some good putts; made up for my poor ball striking.

I know Joel isn't posting much anymore but he wrote up a great post on Tiara Rado in the 2017 thread. His advice for each hole was great as I had never played it and didn't find time to get down for a practice round. So Thanks!

Sadly; one of his stronger pieces of advice was for #12:

"12. False front short right and dead long left." - I yank hooked it left. Hit the cart path, hit another holes' cart path and ended up in a pond on that other hole. A bad pitch, another chip and two putts later I made a triple that mostly ended my chance of sneaking into the mid-am.

73 was medalist and 74 and 76 also qualified. Fun course though; pretty good conditioning and the cga ran a solid event.

Coal Creek is in excellent shape with the greens running true. We had a great 4 some yesterday. Will make the WRX meet fun.... I am still running an 8 plus HDCP :o

Wow you are a +8? When are you joining the tour? :P

Not happening until I can hit it as far as Ivtrain LOL

LOL, do you want my 50 yard miss too?

No thanks I got my own =)