2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Played a Private Course And Regret It

So, a newer coworker of mine is a member at the most upscale private course in the immediate area. I have never played there before. Mainly because I am in a different class and don't run with folks who can drop $10k a year on a golf membership. Not bitter, I just don't know any members there other than him, and I've only known him for a few months.

Anyhow, he was nice enough to invite me out there for a round with a rep that was in town visiting our company. The facilities are top notch, the course was in great shape, and the greens are absolutely phenomenal. When I say phenomenal, I mean, they didn't have a blemish on them. No old divots, no blades of grass out of place. Now, the public course I call home has great greens. They are typically on the faster side of the other courses I have access to and typically roll pretty true. But, they get a ton of traffic. I played the private course on Tuesday and played in my normal league last night. I was standing on the greens last night noticing every little imperfection, looking at how the grass is fluffy in spots where people drug their feet, seeing days old divots that are still just starting to grow back. They just don't compare. On top of that, my course isn't as challenging. You can miss in a lot of different spots and have realistic shots at getting birdie. It's on the shorter side for me (6700 yards at the tips). Most par 4's are driver wedge. Even the par 5's don't require much more than a 5 iron in unless I hit a terrible tee shot.

I am glad I had the opportunity to play the private course, but now I look at my course with a lot less admiration. Still a great place to play, but there is definitely room for improvement. Like going from steak back to bologna. I find myself trying to justify the expense of joining the more affordable private course in town. Not quite as nice, but still a great, challenging track. It would cost me about $2k after dues and quarterly minimums. Dues go up $100 a year for the first 10 years capping at $2500 before minimums currently. I currently pay $750 to play 2 public courses. This private course has a lot more trees and more demanding tee shots. I find that I focus more and definitely could use some motivation to get more accurate off the tee. Currently, I can basically just bomb it and get it as close to the green as possible and still score better than laying up to ensure I am in the fairway.

Cost aside, I only know a couple of people out there, and we are more acquaintances than golf buddies. So, I don't know that we would really play all that much together. I almost have to talk a friend in to joining with me so I actually have a playing partner.

Has anyone else made a similar conversion and find yourself playing alone a lot until you were able to build up a base of new golf friends? I would have a hard time dropping $50 a round should I want to play with my old playing partners as often as I do now.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Same reason I decline to drive a new car that my friends offer to let me test out because it just makes me want one.

I've been fortunate to play a few top courses in the South, but I try to look at them for what they are. 50k iniation fees should demand premium surfaces, not my $35 round at my public course.

Same reason I decline to drive a new car that my friends offer to let me test out because it just makes me want one.

I've been fortunate to play a few top courses in the South, but I try to look at them for what they are. 50k iniation fees should demand premium surfaces, not my $35 round at my public course.

Ha, that's a great analogy.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Did you play FCC or Oxbow? I never got the chance to play FCC when I lived there but have played both Moorhead CC and Oxbow. I haven't seen FCC since they did all the work to mitigate flood impacts.

And I can empathize, I get invited to play the nicest course here (Minnehaha CC where the Champions Tour event is in 1 month) 1-2x a year and it certainly makes you lament your current situation.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Long time ago but I made the transition. Played with several men's groups til I found the right fit. Best move I ever made

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Long time ago but I made the transition. Played with several men's groups til I found the right fit. Best move I ever made

Did you play FCC or Oxbow? I never got the chance to play FCC when I lived there but have played both Moorhead CC and Oxbow. I haven't seen FCC since they did all the work to mitigate flood impacts.

And I can empathize, I get invited to play the nicest course here (Minnehaha CC where the Champions Tour event is in 1 month) 1-2x a year and it certainly makes you lament your current situation.

FCC. I have only played Oxbow once, and that was before the redesign (which still isn't done). The only private course in my price range is MCC. I have played it a couple of times. Their 2nd 9 went through a pretty extensive renovation for flood mitigation. It's pretty nice. The only downside is the greens on the front and the back seem to be constructed differently. At times I think the older greens roll slower than the newer ones on the same day. But, I have heard they are pretty uniform right now.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Stole the question right out of my mouth. I've heard Oxbow added a new $10 million clubhouse using the federal money they received from the flood but haven't played it since it was almost completely re-routed. Both are fine courses but nothing that gets me overly giddy to play. North Dakota has to be one of the few states where IMO the top 2 courses(at least) are public tracks.

The grass is always greener (pun intended). For every guy standing outside a great private club looking in, there's another guy inside who is dreading his next monthly bill.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Stole the question right out of my mouth. I've heard Oxbow added a new $10 million clubhouse using the federal money they received from the flood but haven't played it since it was almost completely re-routed. Both are fine courses but nothing that gets me overly giddy to play. North Dakota has to be one of the few states where IMO the top 2 courses(at least) are public tracks.

I believe the money they received was from the city of Fargo. I have heard the clubhouse is very nice. But, I have a chip on my shoulder regarding the way this whole diversion is playing out with them basically getting enough free money to rebuild the golf course and a lavish clubhouse. Up until recently, their dining room has been open to the public (who's taxes paid for their renovation). I think last year they closed off their facilities to non-members.

What 2 courses are you referring to? I know there are some good ones out west. I have played Bully Pulpit once. I hear Bismark has a nice course too. But, all of my roots extend out East, so I don't find myself getting out much further West than West Fargo.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

When I first made the transition from playing muni-type public courses to a real private club, I told my buddies from the muni that they were welcome to be my guest anytime, but they had to pay the guest fee. These were guys that I didn't spend any time with outside of golf. Some of them took me up on the offer just to try the private course. I played most of my rounds alone in the afternoon for awhile, as I didn't know anyone and wasn't really an early morning person at the time. At the club I eventually randomly met some other guys who liked the same style of play; walking, mid afternoon on weekends, fast play, no matches or betting. We started playing together and did so for many years. We all eventually left the club to move to different states but years later we all still get together somewhere and play several times per year. I quickly lost contact with the guys from the muni within the first year of joining the club. I had such a good experience at the new club that regretted nothing about leaving the muni behind. One of my new friends remarked once, "One day I was standing on the 6th tee at the muni, 2 hours into the nine with two groups ahead on the tee, just having walked off a green that had more unfixed ballmarks than level grass, and told myself I'm either joining a club or quitting this game,I can't do this any more."

I believe the money they received was from the city of Fargo. I have heard the clubhouse is very nice. But, I have a chip on my shoulder regarding the way this whole diversion is playing out with them basically getting enough free money to rebuild the golf course and a lavish clubhouse. Up until recently, their dining room has been open to the public (who's taxes paid for their renovation). I think last year they closed off their facilities to non-members.

What 2 courses are you referring to? I know there are some good ones out west. I have played Bully Pulpit once. I hear Bismark has a nice course too. But, all of my roots extend out East, so I don't find myself getting out much further West than West Fargo.

I certainly never played them all, but I really loved Hawktree. Still one of my favorite courses I've ever played. I also still feel like Edgewood is a really great course for being a muni. I miss being a member and playing there.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

It really is a different level.

Luckily I live within 45 minutes radius of like 25 golf courses which can be in varying conditions at any time...but also about 4-5 private clubs which I have friends at.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

For me it's as much about the guys and having a regular game as anything

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

How long is the season in North Dakota anyway?

Not long enough! Typically, we are looking at Spring golf starting in mid to late April with decent conditions through September. I don't typically get out much after that. It starts getting pretty chilly in the mornings in October and there isn't a lot of daylight after work. So, when it is halfway decent out, the course gets packed. This year we weren't able to start the season until May. So, my season will be just shy of 5 months. But, I don't enjoy playing cold weather golf just to get out and play.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

So, a newer coworker of mine is a member at the most upscale private course in the immediate area. I have never played there before. Mainly because I am in a different class and don't run with folks who can drop $10k a year on a golf membership. Not bitter, I just don't know any members there other than him, and I've only known him for a few months.

Anyhow, he was nice enough to invite me out there for a round with a rep that was in town visiting our company. The facilities are top notch, the course was in great shape, and the greens are absolutely phenomenal. When I say phenomenal, I mean, they didn't have a blemish on them. No old divots, no blades of grass out of place. Now, the public course I call home has great greens. They are typically on the faster side of the other courses I have access to and typically roll pretty true. But, they get a ton of traffic. I played the private course on Tuesday and played in my normal league last night. I was standing on the greens last night noticing every little imperfection, looking at how the grass is fluffy in spots where people drug their feet, seeing days old divots that are still just starting to grow back. They just don't compare. On top of that, my course isn't as challenging. You can miss in a lot of different spots and have realistic shots at getting birdie. It's on the shorter side for me (6700 yards at the tips). Most par 4's are driver wedge. Even the par 5's don't require much more than a 5 iron in unless I hit a terrible tee shot.

I am glad I had the opportunity to play the private course, but now I look at my course with a lot less admiration. Still a great place to play, but there is definitely room for improvement. Like going from steak back to bologna. I find myself trying to justify the expense of joining the more affordable private course in town. Not quite as nice, but still a great, challenging track. It would cost me about $2k after dues and quarterly minimums. Dues go up $100 a year for the first 10 years capping at $2500 before minimums currently. I currently pay $750 to play 2 public courses. This private course has a lot more trees and more demanding tee shots. I find that I focus more and definitely could use some motivation to get more accurate off the tee. Currently, I can basically just bomb it and get it as close to the green as possible and still score better than laying up to ensure I am in the fairway.

Cost aside, I only know a couple of people out there, and we are more acquaintances than golf buddies. So, I don't know that we would really play all that much together. I almost have to talk a friend in to joining with me so I actually have a playing partner.

Has anyone else made a similar conversion and find yourself playing alone a lot until you were able to build up a base of new golf friends? I would have a hard time dropping $50 a round should I want to play with my old playing partners as often as I do now.

I've played some really nice private courses that I'll likely never be able to afford to join...great conditions etc. When I go back to my regular track, it doesn't really faze me much because the one thing my home course has going for it are very good greens...maybe not as fast as those upscale private courses I played, but better than most other public access courses around here. Give me level tee boxes with grass, decent fairways and nice greens...I'm good as far as conditions go.

I certainly never played them all, but I really loved Hawktree. Still one of my favorite courses I've ever played. I also still feel like Edgewood is a really great course for being a muni. I miss being a member and playing there.

My friends and I keep talking about heading out to the Brainerd area to take in some of the MN resort courses, but schedules never seem to align.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

There is only 1 public course in my area consistently in decent shape. Every other public course has taken such a nose dive conditions wise over the past 5-8 years. New excuse every year, too dry, then too much rain. Supposedly none of the courses are making $$$ but are all slam packed with leagues and outings.

Unfortunately, there are too many other things I'm not putting money into to justify allocating quadruple (or more) funds toward a private course.

My friends and I keep talking about heading out to the Brainerd area to take in some of the MN resort courses, but schedules never seem to align.

That's my one big regret about when I lived up there, that I never made a drive/trip over to lakes country to play some of the awesome courses. I still want to get up there and play Deacon's Lodge sometime.

The one courses I drove into MN and played was Blueberry Pines by Menagha, MN and that was a great track too.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Not long enough! Typically, we are looking at Spring golf starting in mid to late April with decent conditions through September. I don't typically get out much after that. It starts getting pretty chilly in the mornings in October and there isn't a lot of daylight after work. So, when it is halfway decent out, the course gets packed. This year we weren't able to start the season until May. So, my season will be just shy of 5 months. But, I don't enjoy playing cold weather golf just to get out and play.

Wow, that's a short season.

Our courses are usually in their best condition between May and October. The grasses go dormant in the winter, but the courses can still be really playable unless they're too wet. Most courses stay open year-round and there are likely to be a few playable days even in January/February. Hardcore golfers play year-round and apply "winter rules" as necessary (improved lies mostly).

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Wow, that's a short season.

Our courses are usually in their best condition between May and October. The grasses go dormant in the winter, but the courses can still be really playable unless they're too wet. Most courses stay open year-round and there are likely to be a few playable days even in January/February. Hardcore golfers play year-round and apply "winter rules" as necessary (improved lies mostly).

Yeah, we lost about a month of the season this year. There really wasn't a transition from Spring to Summer.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I think we all kind of have that shock the first time we go to a private club. I don't have the means to join a club myself, so I don't have the dilemma that OP is dealing with, but I've been fortunate enough to be able to play a good amount of the big ones in our area (minus Spring Hill and Interlachen - cue member offering to take me out there! :wave:) and I always just treat it as an experience and try to not let it taint public golf for me. Minneapolis has some great public tracks, though, so it makes it a little easier to digest.

Dont compare - it will drive you nuts.

Clearly you appreciate better golf - but if you try to join a club - join the one you just played. Why? B/c it is now your “standard”

And only clubs in that range will be as impressive to you.

To put it another way the club you played will still be nicer than other cheaper country clubs.

Links of ND in Ray, phenomenal course simply outstanding and Hawktree in Bismarck is unique with its black bunkers makes a great contrast with the rich green of the turf.

Souris Valley used to be good but was wrecked in the floods and haven’t been back since they rebuilt the whole property.

Kings Walk is right up there as well for quality track and conditions, the practice faculties used to be excellent. GFCC is ok, but was always flooded out for a bit. One place I had a ton of fun playing was Ray Richards, little nine hole course but the last three holes I thought were excellent. Short risk reward par 4, challenging par 3, and a stout finishing hole (all at the time when I was in high school).

Yep, playing a beautiful private course taints how we look at public courses. I admit to being spoiled by private club & courses and practice facilities. My last two homes were in gated golf community's, and I miss driving my golf cart to the clubhouse and manicured practice facilites. The wife and I are really looking forward to finding our last home in a golf community.

My only advice if you're considering joining a private club is don't drag a friend along. Private clubs are not only about the quality of golf but meeting other members and developing new friendships. Sure, you'll invite non-member friends out to play, but joining with the right frame of mind, you'll enjoy exceptional golf facilities and social life. Also, most private clubs limit how often members can bring friends in to play. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Clearly you appreciate better golf - but if you try to join a club - join the one you just played. Why? B/c it is now your "standard"

To put it another way the club you played will still be nicer than other cheaper country clubs.

Ha, I definitely cannot afford the course I played. The cheaper one would be my only option. And, with that being said, I would have to really sell the idea to my wife who has 0 interest in golf. I think my main motivation would be to get myself to a course that I can get out and play basically any time I want. Where the traffic is to a point where it doesn't destroy the greens on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong. The course I play now is nice, I like the staff, and I think they do a pretty good job with the course as it is. They just get a ton of play.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Yep, playing a beautiful private course taints how we look at public courses. I admit to being spoiled by private club & courses and practice facilities. My last two homes were in gated golf community's, and I miss driving my golf cart to the clubhouse and manicured practice facilites. The wife and I are really looking forward to finding our last home in a golf community.

My only advice if you're considering joining a private club is don't drag a friend along. Private clubs are not only about the quality of golf but meeting other members and developing new friendships. Sure, you'll invite non-member friends out to play, but joining with the right frame of mind, you'll enjoy exceptional golf facilities and social life. Also, most private clubs limit how often members can bring friends in to play. :beach:

My friend and I have tossed around the idea over the last few years. He can't play as often as I do due to his schedule. So, in the long run, I don't know if he would make the switch.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Links of ND in Ray, phenomenal course simply outstanding and Hawktree in Bismarck is unique with its black bunkers makes a great contrast with the rich green of the turf.

Souris Valley used to be good but was wrecked in the floods and haven’t been back since they rebuilt the whole property.

Kings Walk is right up there as well for quality track and conditions, the practice faculties used to be excellent. GFCC is ok, but was always flooded out for a bit. One place I had a ton of fun playing was Ray Richards, little nine hole course but the last three holes I thought were excellent. Short risk reward par 4, challenging par 3, and a stout finishing hole (all at the time when I was in high school).

Links of ND in Ray blows every other course in the state out of the water IMO. 2nd and 3rd are probably Hawktree and Riverwood in Bismarck, both being public.

My home course is King's Walk in Grand Forks and while it lacks a lot of interesting visuals(it was literally built on flat farmland) it is always in great condition. Greens rolling a consistent 9 or 10 and lush well manicured fairways. I grew up playing GFCC and while it has the interesting layout they can't seem to get the disease decimating their greens under control. I'm hearing they'll have to all be rebuilt, not sure how they'd survive that with the sparse level of membership as it is. Also a membership at GFCC costs about 3x what King's Walk does. I'd consider it if the difference in course conditions weren't so damn drastic.

At least Fargo/Moorhead has some good public alternatives like Edgewood, Rose Creek, The Meadows, etc. The city is growing so damn fast though that I can imagine golf courses are inundated which could make Moorhead CC look plenty appealing.

Clearly you appreciate better golf - but if you try to join a club - join the one you just played. Why? B/c it is now your "standard"

Ha, I definitely cannot afford the course I played. The cheaper one would be my only option. And, with that being said, I would have to really sell the idea to my wife who has 0 interest in golf. I think my main motivation would be to get myself to a course that I can get out and play basically any time I want. Where the traffic is to a point where it doesn't destroy the greens on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong. The course I play now is nice, I like the staff, and I think they do a pretty good job with the course as it is. They just get a ton of play.

I'm in the same boat, my wife has 0 interest in golf and the kids aren't really into golf at the moment. I'd have to really sell the social side of things, and plus it'd be awesome to be able to just drop my youngest off at the pool while I get in a round. But where I live vs. where the 2 privates are located in town isn't really appealing to me since it would be about a 20 minute drive from home any time I wanted to hit the driving range, play or just hang at the clubhouse. It's an even harder sell when we live 2 minutes from the public course I'm a member of now.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I'm in the same boat, my wife has 0 interest in golf and the kids aren't really into at the moment. I'd have to really sell the social side of things, and plus it'd be awesome to be able to just drop my youngest off at the pool while I get in a round. But where I live vs. where the 2 privates are located in town isn't really appealing to me since it would be about a 20 minute 20 drive from home any time I wanted to hit the driving range, play or just hang at the clubhouse. It's an even harder sell when we live 2 minutes from the public course I'm a member of now.

Very similar situation for me. I live about as far south in Moorhead as you can and would have to drive to MCC across two set of train tracks. If you remember enough about Moorhead, that is no easy feat. You are almost guaranteed to get stuck at at least one of them. Even that being the case, it takes almost 20 minutes to get there with no traffic or train issues. Village Green is 5 minutes from my house.

I have two girls, neither is interested in golf. My oldest is 11, she showed some interest early on. But, as girls, since Mom isn't interested, they really haven't given it much of a chance.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS