iPhone Clinometer app for reading loft on irons

So I have this app for reading green slope but I want to measure the loft in degrees on my new i210s as delivered.

If I set up, address position with each club, which has the club rest on the ground while I get my body into position—can another person just flush the iPhone along the club face and accurately read degrees of loft?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The app will work fine for that if you do it right. Clamp the club in a vice (or fix its position securely any way you can), then measure the angle of inclination of both the lower shaft and the face. The difference will be your loft number.

Works for lie angle, too.

"...measure the angle of inclination of both the lower shaft..." I get it about the face, that's easy to see, but sorry to be blockheaded but explain how to use the phone to measure the inclination of the lower shaft. If you could send a photo? Thanks for your reply.

The app will work fine for that if you do it right. Clamp the club in a vice (or fix its position securely any way you can), then measure the angle of inclination of both the lower shaft and the face. The difference will be your loft number.

"...measure the angle of inclination of both the lower shaft..." I get it about the face, that's easy to see, but sorry to be blockheaded but explain how to use the phone to measure the inclination of the lower shaft. If you could send a photo? Thanks for your reply.

I assume, this way you can compare between the loft of the head vs the inclination of the shaft.

It’s Making sure the shaft is at certain angle, not just assuming it’s at 0 or 90*

Again. I’m only assuming. This is a great idea.

I assume, this way you can compare between the loft of the head vs the inclination of the shaft.

It's Making sure the shaft is at certain angle, not just assuming it's at 0 or 90*

Again. I'm only assuming. This is a great idea.

Thanks for the kind words but I still can't figure out how to measure the shaft angle, can you explain that a bit more to me?

Just hold the long edge of your phone against the lower shaft, and read the number. Then do the same with the face. Then subtract.

Just hold the long edge of your phone against the lower shaft, and read the number. Then do the same with the face. Then subtract.

Actually there’s an easier way I just discovered. The little button at the lower left of the round display will set the degrees to zero and remember it, and then show the difference of a new angle automagically. So secure your club, put the phone on the shaft, hit that button to zero it, then move to the face. The readout will lock at the new angle (your loft angle) after a couple seconds.

If the long edge of your phone has a button that sticks out, use one of the short edges instead.

This is SUPER accurate to tenths of a degree.

Did I mention the Clinometer app is also perfect for measuring % slope on greens, too, for you Aimpoint Express practitioners? Just lay it flat on the green, and make sure you set it to % for APE and to degrees for loft and lie.

The shaft tapers. If it's a normal stepped shaft you just have to be careful the phone is resting entirely along one "step". If it were half and half across a step line that would mess up the shaft angle by a degree or so. Or if you have a non-stepped shaft (common on putters) that tapers the entire way.

Weighing in here, I think my original idea was good but the precision needed to measure loft, which is tweaked by 1 degree or 2 for gapping, is to hard to accurately do with the clinometer. At least I won't rely on it for changing the lofts on my new irons. Just have to send to Ping (they say it's max 1/4 or 1/2 club loft changes on the i210s--don't tell them degrees) based on playing characteristics.

The shaft tapers. If it's a normal stepped shaft you just have to be careful the phone is resting entirely along one "step". If it were half and half across a step line that would mess up the shaft angle by a degree or so. Or if you have a non-stepped shaft (common on putters) that tapers the entire way.

Just measure the shaft on opposite sides so they're equal.

IOW. Clamp the club, measure the shaft so they ready the same on both sides of the shaft. So on one side it might read -1, the opposite side reads +1 deg. Now you know the shaft is vertical, now measure the face.

You can't measure loft accurately without a gauge that clamps the shaft at 90* to a face angle that is at 0*. This can't be done by eye

Not true ... read #3 and #9

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x