Goal: +3 Next Summer

stunted

The best you've been is a 3, and you're "pretty close to a +3"?

More power to ya, but I'd take action on this, if only because you're not being realistic. Going from a 3 to a +3 is probably 20 times harder than going from a 9 to a 3. It's not a linear progression.

How old are you, and are you going to post up your GHIN with T scores? And will you post video of your swing?

I hit the ball better than a 3 now, but my short game is like a 20. I'll post GHIN when I play more, but I won't be playing much the rest of this year besides random rounds with friends or family. I'll eventually post swing video.

This is how you get better, be ambitions, aim for +3 if you fall short at +1 then great. Last summer I started at 7 and aimed for 4 got there after a few months and then found it hard to reset and aim for lower again, wish I set my target lower

Yup that is what I'm thinking too :)

Getting to + handicap isn't about beating balls till your hands bleed. It's about using your brain on the course, playing smart, minimizing strokes from bad shots, and learning how to score.

Yes, you will probably need be on course 5 days a week to learn these skills. It's s long way from 3 to +3.

I plan to use bluegolf.com to map out courses I play, even home courses. Figure out strategies based on my shot dispersion and short game odds. But I want to train myself to hit the ball like a machine first. Most sports you need to learn the skills and fundamentals before learning plays, otherwise you can't execute the plays, and I see ball striking as the fundamentals.

WAIT. WHAT??!!

You state that your short game is like a 20, you’re now a 3, but you think you can get to a +3?? How does someone with a short game of a 20 even get close to sniffing a 3? And NO WAY you’re coming close to a +3 with a weak short game. Sorry

But if he keeps playing computer golf he'll be such a great ball striker he won't need no stinking short game.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

At my best last year I was a +3.2... I cannot even begin to fathom the luck, execution and confidence I had. Most people don’t realize exactly how tough it is to maintain that. My +3.2 was because I had just started my handicap account had +/- 15 scores in and put in 12 scores in 2 weeks of which 9/12 were below par...

I just dont think you understand how hard it is to actually get there when youve been playing and actively keeping a handicap. We are talking months and months of consistent 67-70s.

Not saying its impossible but good luck.

Another item: its one thing to be a friends and no pressure +3, but if you can actually play to that +3 in tournaments thats legit. Tournament golf is a totally different beast

Following, this is interesting. There are a lot of stories about tiger preferring the practice range to the real course. I’m quite interested to see how good someone can get with purely block practice. Modern instruction is moving away from this and trending towards more skill development over technical training. I think the thing that’s going to be toughest in this scenario is the putting. Tiger has put on a clinic this week with his ball striking but his putting has only allowed him to get to 3 under after 3 rounds.

One of the biggest challenges with the handicap system in terms of gauging ability is how it’s calculated. It takes a ton of great rounds to move a handicap from 3 to +3 based purely on the mathematical formula used to calculate. I have a family and it’s hard to play enough rounds to move my handicap in either direction. Good luck to you op.

At my best last year I was a +3.2... I cannot even begin to fathom the luck, execution and confidence I had. Most people donât realize exactly how tough it is to maintain that. My +3.2 was because I had just started my handicap account had +/- 15 scores in and put in 12 scores in 2 weeks of which 9/12 were below par...

I just donât think you understand how hard it is to actually get there when youâve been playing and actively keeping a handicap. We are talking months and months of consistent 67-70s.

Not saying itâs impossible but good luck.

Another item: itâs one thing to be a friends and no pressure +3, but if you can actually play to that +3 in tournaments thatâs legit. Tournament golf is a totally different beast

How old are you? +3 territory is, indeed, tough to get to and maintain. Been there, done that.

And even then, you realize there are still a couple/several hundred amateurs (just in your own state! - California) who are better than you, and you get the fact that you will never quit your day job....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Thanks for the positivity Gilbert and Chad :)

To be clear I don't have a handicap at the moment, just an estimation of "hitting it like a 3 with a short game of a 20". I will play a good 5 times a week once I hit the ball how I want to.

Gonna take a week off for my back muscle to completely heal. I made tweaks and can swing now without it hurting at all, but if I have a bad swing, it re-hurts my back. So I'm gonna give it a chance to heal. I've been able to hit a lot of balls though, 350 today actually. The 40 compression balls are like hitting marshmallows, along with graphite shafts and jumbomax grip, I think it allows me to hit twice as many balls vs steel shaft/small grip/80+ compression balls. It's addicting and fun as s*** to hit balls though. Had to take the skytrak out of the golf room and put it as far away as possible like I'm some heroin addict for this break from golf.

At my best last year I was a +3.2... I cannot even begin to fathom the luck, execution and confidence I had. Most people donât realize exactly how tough it is to maintain that. My +3.2 was because I had just started my handicap account had +/- 15 scores in and put in 12 scores in 2 weeks of which 9/12 were below par...

I just donât think you understand how hard it is to actually get there when youâve been playing and actively keeping a handicap. We are talking months and months of consistent 67-70s.

Not saying itâs impossible but good luck.

Another item: itâs one thing to be a friends and no pressure +3, but if you can actually play to that +3 in tournaments thatâs legit. Tournament golf is a totally different beast

How old are you? +3 territory is, indeed, tough to get to and maintain. Been there, done that.

And even then, you realize there are still a couple/several hundred amateurs (just in your own state! - California) who are better than you, and you get the fact that you will never quit your day job....

I’m 23. Luckily my day job is in the golf industry

Thanks for the positivity Gilbert and Chad :)

To be clear I don't have a handicap at the moment, just an estimation of "hitting it like a 3 with a short game of a 20". I will play a good 5 times a week once I hit the ball how I want to.

Gonna take a week off for my back muscle to completely heal. I made tweaks and can swing now without it hurting at all, but if I have a bad swing, it re-hurts my back. So I'm gonna give it a chance to heal. I've been able to hit a lot of balls though, 350 today actually. The 40 compression balls are like hitting marshmallows, along with graphite shafts and jumbomax grip, I think it allows me to hit twice as many balls vs steel shaft/small grip/80+ compression balls. It's addicting and fun as s*** to hit balls though. Had to take the skytrak out of the golf room and put it as far away as possible like I'm some heroin addict for this break from golf.

Adding this to this list.

So you keep saying you were a 3 in high school, was that also a guess?

Looking forward to seeing your tournament scores....

Ditto‼️

There is golf and then there is tournament golf

Two different games and two different worlds, lol

I hope that you’re well Obes and having a great season?

Forget short game and putting, lol

From scratch/2~ to a competitive Plus is M..E..N..T..A..L

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Following, this is interesting. There are a lot of stories about tiger preferring the practice range to the real course. I’m quite interested to see how good someone can get with purely block practice. Modern instruction is moving away from this and trending towards more skill development over technical training. I think the thing that’s going to be toughest in this scenario is the putting. Tiger has put on a clinic this week with his ball striking but his putting has only allowed him to get to 3 under after 3 rounds.

One of the biggest challenges with the handicap system in terms of gauging ability is how it’s calculated. It takes a ton of great rounds to move a handicap from 3 to +3 based purely on the mathematical formula used to calculate. I have a family and it’s hard to play enough rounds to move my handicap in either direction. Good luck to you op.

What Peeps forger about Tiger is that he was competing in National tourneys at 7-8yo and winning them at the age of 9-10yo.

His confidence to step onto a tee with 300, 400-500+ peeps around him was already embedded in his subconscious psyche.

If someone were to take any part of Tiger’s practice regime or game to attempt to practice and ingrain as their own, forget the physical game

Look, dissect and ingraine what his father did for him with his mental game.

Yea, developing a consistent reproducible swing can be accomplished with reps on the line(hit off of grass, not mats, haha. Trust me here, there’s a difference from a mat and a fairway lie?), however the ability to consistently reproduce that swing under competitive pressure can only be done by replicating it as closely as possible, first, in practice and preparation(see Tiger’s father’s routine and then Tiger’s routine) and secondly, under actual competitive pressures, ie., money games & Tourneys.

Take care Chad?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Ditto‼️

My Best,

RP

A Richard sighting?!?!?! Hey buddy, hope you're doing well.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

How does this have anything to do with Tiger??!!!

Someone above spoke about Tiger, practice routine, yada yada yada, and that’s all that I read cuz #1, to even bring up Tiger, his physical practice routine or his physical game in the same thread as some amateur Trackman terror is a joke though if guys are going to throw Tiger’s name around, #2, they should at least read about the mental program that his father set up for him along with his routine as an amateur/adult/professional.

Have a great week BP?

RP

Ditto‼️

My Best,

RP

A Richard sighting?!?!?! Hey buddy, hope you're doing well.

Hangin in there Bro?

I hope that you’re having a nice summer and season!!

Thank you for the thoughts?

My Best,

Richard

3 to a +3 is flat out nuts to me unless you are an extremely talented teenager who manages their game around the course like a drunk guy at a Monday scramble.

I'm trying to do the opposite!

I'm trending to a +2.7 and I'm trying to get it down to a 0 to make these club handicapped events a bit more bearable. :)

I have 3 young kids and an awesome wife. I certainly don't practice more than once a week. When I do practice, it's efficient. I don't really even practice to get better, I go with what feels good, what works at the time, and that's it. When I hit balls before a round, I hit a ton of wedges and short irons, and use whatever driver swing shows up that day. I putt about the same amount of time as I hit balls before each round or anytime I practice. No matter how I'm hitting the ball, I manage the hell out of all of my rounds when I'm trying to play well. It doesn't matter how well your hitting the ball, if you aren't hitting crisp wedges within 5 to 15 feet consistently, and short irons within 10-20 feet, and you aren't confident in the flat stick and rolling in putts, you will barely sniff scratch, much less +3.

With all of that being said, good luck. I know nothing about your game and you very well could be on your way.

3 to a +3 is flat out nuts to me unless you are an extremely talented teenager who manages their game around the course like a drunk guy at a Monday scramble.

I'm trending to a +2.7 and I'm trying to get it down to a 0 to make these club handicapped events a bit more bearable. :)

The struggle is real.

I have 3 young kids and an awesome wife. I certainly don't practice more than once a week. When I do practice, it's efficient. I don't really even practice to get better, I go with what feels good, what works at the time, and that's it. When I hit balls before a round, I hit a ton of wedges and short irons, and use whatever driver swing shows up that day. I putt about the same amount of time as I hit balls before each round or anytime I practice. No matter how I'm hitting the ball, I manage the hell out of all of my rounds when I'm trying to play well. It doesn't matter how well your hitting the ball, if you aren't hitting crisp wedges within 5 to 15 feet consistently, and short irons within 10-20 feet, and you aren't confident in the flat stick and rolling in putts, you will barely sniff scratch, much less +3.

With all of that being said, good luck. I know nothing about your game and you very well could be on your way.

LOL I’m going to have to keep an eye out for the sand baggers playing off scratch. This is the ultimate humble brag!

LOL I’m going to have to keep an eye out for the sand baggers playing off scratch. This is the ultimate humble brag!

Damn right. I'm damn proud I can still play at a solid level considering how busy I am. Regarding the serious part of my post, I believe if more golfers figured out how to play the game and ditch the equipment obsession, as well as not obsessing over technique, better golf can easily be achieved.

LOL Im going to have to keep an eye out for the sand baggers playing off scratch. This is the ultimate humble brag!

There are lots of them — especially at the regional and national level. Guys who — if they submitted all their scores — would be +4 to +5, but who play lots of money golf and keep their index around +1 very, very consistently...

I know several of them. Do NOT bet them under any circumstances. If you Google the guy's name and you see he has played in four or five (or more) USGA events, you know you are not dealing with a +1!!! :-)

If you can get yourself to a legit +3 with that channel lock crap it would be the most shocking thing I've ever seen. Best I've been is a +2 and I was playing very good golf then then a month later a couple off rounds and I'm back to a 0 which is where I usually hover the most. It's way harder than most think to sniff the + handicap ranges. Also it really sucks giving shots back to the course on a 17 and 18 handicap hole in money games.... 190 yard par3 par for a bogie.........

LOL Im going to have to keep an eye out for the sand baggers playing off scratch. This is the ultimate humble brag!

Damn right. I'm damn proud I can still play at a solid level considering how busy I am. Regarding the serious part of my post, I believe if more golfers figured out how to play the game and ditch the equipment obsession, as well as not obsessing over technique, better golf can easily be achieved.

A kindred spirit!!!

Well this thread was a good find. I’m struggling to stay awake today and this highly entertaining read is helping.

Come for the laughs? Me too.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Well this thread was a good find. I’m struggling to stay awake today and this highly entertaining read is helping.

Yes sir!

I don’t venture into this forum very often but I’m glad I did today!

How bout that tear Hawkeye went on. That had me laughing.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Don't forget it's companion thread that is linked in the first post.

Oooooohhhhh, I missed that! Checking on it now!!!

Yes sir!

I don’t venture into this forum very often but I’m glad I did today!

How bout that tear Hawkeye went on. That had me laughing.

This Hawkeye? Uh-oh - - - I was working on being supportive and uplifting, even giving away training aids, lol!

Watching Christie Kerr last night must have kept the edge on!