side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

I'm ready to give one a tryout. How long was your F-22 when I tried it on the putting clock? I have no idea of the length I should be thinking about.

Atta boy, Billy! Come to the dark side.

The F22 you tried out was 46.5". I have a LFI at 45" that I'll bring this weekend and you can fiddle with. That'll at least let you see which length you prefer. I much prefer the F22 style of head over the LFI just due to the weight, but I'm happy to let you try it out so you can decide if you want to drop the coin on a F22.

Thanks! Bring it if you don't mind. I'll be playing at 10:50 this Saturday and hope to see you then.

That F-18 looks interesting if I ever try switching to lefty side.

Right on, we are playing in Bryan's thing at 8:40 (me, Ben and Dad should be a real good team, lol), but I'll bring it and leave it in the pro shop. You can just keep it for a while and try it out and practice some with it, the F22 isn't leaving the bag anytime soon.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I'm ready to give one a tryout. How long was your F-22 when I tried it on the putting clock? I have no idea of the length I should be thinking about.

Atta boy, Billy! Come to the dark side.

The F22 you tried out was 46.5". I have a LFI at 45" that I'll bring this weekend and you can fiddle with. That'll at least let you see which length you prefer. I much prefer the F22 style of head over the LFI just due to the weight, but I'm happy to let you try it out so you can decide if you want to drop the coin on a F22.

Thanks! Bring it if you don't mind. I'll be playing at 10:50 this Saturday and hope to see you then.

That F-18 looks interesting if I ever try switching to lefty side.

Right on, we are playing in Bryan's thing at 8:40 (me, Ben and Dad should be a real good team, lol), but I'll bring it and leave it in the pro shop. You can just keep it for a while and try it out and practice some with it, the F22 isn't leaving the bag anytime soon.

We(me, DL & Tyler) are playing in BD's too, should be a fun event. I'll see you then. You and Ben always play good.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

My biggest issue with the F-22 is the cost. LFI last year was $350 and BG sold me one for $300. Need a second SS putter for Florida bag and waiting for one of you guys with multiple back-ups to sell me one!

I agree. 450 is really high. It is the same head that he has recycled a few times. It was called the f-18 a while back. The only difference between past versions is the shaft drill angle and the heavier lead weights.

My biggest issue with the F-22 is the cost. LFI last year was $350 and BG sold me one for $300. Need a second SS putter for Florida bag and waiting for one of you guys with multiple back-ups to sell me one!

I agree. 450 is really high. It is the same head that he has recycled a few times. It was called the f-18 a while back. The only difference between past versions is the shaft drill angle and the heavier lead weights.

Yea. I had that same head on another putter of his where the shaft came into the head near the face. I could never get comfortable with the "look" and ended up trading it back in to him. That same head with a "kicka**" shaft has been magic for me though. I am putting lights out this summer. I love his insert.

Any of you guys try the SmartPutter? https://www.smart-putter.com/ I kind of like the type of stroke it uses. Tried it with a Cure putter I have and it seemed promising.

I have not tried it, and I haven't seen one except on the website.

Two things sort of bother me about this putter and/or the website. One is that I don't see any specs for the putter, other than VERY general guidelines about shaft length relative to height. Nothing about weight, lie angle, or size. (FWIW, the putter head looks pretty small in the pictures, at least relative to the golf ball, but that could be a deceiving camera angle.

But the other thing that REALLY bothers me is this statement: "A major challenge to alternative putting has always been compliance with the rules of golf. SmartPutter is the only forward-facing putter that is compliant with the rules of golf and legal for play at all levels of competitive golf worldwide. SmartPutter compliance is authorised in written approval from the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews in association with the USGA."

"Only" is a pretty big word, and that claim is patently untrue, which I'm sure the company knows. That bugs me...

Any of you guys try the SmartPutter? https://www.smart-putter.com/ I kind of like the type of stroke it uses. Tried it with a Cure putter I have and it seemed promising.

Two things sort of bother me about this putter and/or the website. One is that I don't see any specs for the putter, other than VERY general guidelines about shaft length relative to height. Nothing about weight, lie angle, or size. (FWIW, the putter head looks pretty small in the pictures, at least relative to the golf ball, but that could be a deceiving camera angle.

But the other thing that REALLY bothers me is this statement: "A major challenge to alternative putting has always been compliance with the rules of golf. SmartPutter is the only forward-facing putter that is compliant with the rules of golf and legal for play at all levels of competitive golf worldwide. SmartPutter compliance is authorised in written approval from the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews in association with the USGA."

"Only" is a pretty big word, and that claim is patently untrue, which I'm sure the company knows. That bugs me...

I don't like it.

1) Putter head looks small and too light for my tastes.

2) I don't like the "stance" they promote (left foot forward for RH golfers)

3) Their statement (in the Q&A) that a single length will fit most golfers and so don't worry about the length of the shaft is a crock. That's key for most of us SS putters.

SInce they say you would need to adjust at your local club maker - they obviously aren't going to build this putter to someone's preferred specs.

Give me the BG F22 - all day long!! I've been putting lights out with this putter. So much so I ordered another just so I'll have a backup in case Grace Bobby gets hit by a bus tomorrow. :) (that's how much I love this putter!....)

And while talking to Bobby on the phone, he asked me to make a little sidesaddle demo video for him to use with potential SS customers (just a quick front and side shot of me stroking an 8 foot putt).

I'm going to try and shoot it this weekend.

I don't like it.

3) Their statement (in the Q&A) that a single length will fit most golfers and so don't worry about the length of the shaft is a crock. That's key for most of us SS putters.

SInce they say you would need to adjust at your local club maker - they obviously aren't going to build this putter to someone's preferred specs.

Give me the BG F22 - all day long!! I've been putting lights out with this putter. So much so I ordered another just so I'll have a backup in case Grace Bobby gets hit by a bus tomorrow. :) (that's how much I love this putter!....)

And while talking to Bobby on the phone, he asked me to make a little sidesaddle demo video for him to use with potential SS customers (just a quick front and side shot of me stroking an 8 foot putt).

Cool! Let us know when that goes up on his website.

And I agree 100% about the F-22; it's clearly the best of the putters I've used. And that's saying something, because I putted really well with both the JuanPutt and the Directed Force. Glad I spent the money.

I don't like it.

And I agree 100% about the F-22; it's clearly the best of the putters I've used. And that's saying something, because I putted really well with both the JuanPutt and the Directed Force. Glad I spent the money.

I should ask for finders fee!

I don't like it.

I would consider paying that fee but for the fact that in addition to BOTH of the previous Bobby Grace face on models, I own basically every other face on option on the market. I've never been shy about buying putters! :)

I would consider paying that fee but for the fact that in addition to BOTH of the previous Bobby Grace face on models, I own basically every other face on option on the market. I've never been shy about buying putters! :)

Yea...me too actually. And now I'm doubling down on the F22. That's all I need.....two of every model!!......Lord, help me...…

:swoon:

Here are the video's I sent to Bobby Grace of me sidesaddle putting.

They're about 8 foot putts.

I shot them right after finishing up my league last night.

I'm putting so well right now I made both putts on the 1st shoot.

No re-takes needed! LOL.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63r4wre6hmy88pa/VID_20180614_201330493.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymrk238rh0z3fod/VID_20180614_201721210.mp4?dl=0

I love looking for side saddle putters and putting left handed it’s pretty hard too find one. Just wondering if anyone had tried the bell side saddle putters from eBay they are $120. Just curious about the quality and how they roll. I have about 3 side saddle putter but I can never have enough. I really want a bobby Grace but they are hard too find. And don’t like the double sided one that seems like the only lefty one he’s selling at the moment.

I love looking for side saddle putters and putting left handed it’s pretty hard too find one. Just wondering if anyone had tried the bell side saddle putters from eBay they are $120. Just curious about the quality and how they roll. I have about 3 side saddle putter but I can never have enough. I really want a bobby Grace but they are hard too find. And don’t like the double sided one that seems like the only lefty one he’s selling at the moment.

I like heavier putters. The Bell look light to me.

I think you should call Bobby's shop; he'll probably answer the phone himself. Tell him what you want, and I'd be surprised if he wouldn't make you a lefty version; it's just a matter of drilling the hole differently, which he did for me on a custom order anyway. You might have to wait a week or two, but I'd think he'd have no problem setting that up.

Here are the video's I sent to Bobby Grace of me sidesaddle putting.

They're about 8 foot putts.

I shot them right after finishing up my league last night.

I'm putting so well right now I made both putts on the 1st shoot.

No re-takes needed! LOL.

https://www.dropbox....330493.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....721210.mp4?dl=0

Awesome; I love it! Thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

This putter (BG F22) and this style (sidesaddle) are made for each other. 12 putts in my 9 hole league last night. I've been on fire with my putting lately.

You beat me to it!

I had 26 putts yesterday, 13 on both sides; it was as good a putting round as I've ever had. Hit 7 greens and made 5 birdies; got up and down 6 of 9 (not all for par, unfortunately) and shot 76 with a double on the first hole.

I've said this before, but maybe the biggest problem with side saddle is the inability to try out different putters. So I've spent three years and a fair amount of money working my way thru the process of figuring out length and weight and all the rest. I really liked the JuanPutt, and I really liked the Directed Force. But I think that I've finally gotten it exactly right with the BG F22; it's just a great piece of equipment. Stupid easy to line up and put a good stroke on the ball.

If you're on the fence about whether or not to spend the money for the F22, I'd urge you to go ahead. Bobby will customize it pretty much any way you want it, from the length to the type of shaft, to the position at which the shaft inserts into the head, to how far down the lower part of the grip goes, plus an optional weight kit if you want to play with that. I don't know of anything else like that on the market for those of us putting side saddle.

BTW, I played in a senior tournament on Monday, and one of the guys in my group was just fascinated with what I was doing. At one point as we rode from a green to the next tee, he said, "You just look so much more relaxed than the other three of us do when you're putting!" I considered that to be a really good testimony to the method.

This putter (BG F22) and this style (sidesaddle) are made for each other. 12 putts in my 9 hole league last night. I've been on fire with my putting lately.

You beat me to it!

I had 26 putts yesterday, 13 on both sides; it was as good a putting round as I've ever had. Hit 7 greens and made 5 birdies; got up and down 6 of 9 (not all for par, unfortunately) and shot 76 with a double on the first hole.

I've said this before, but maybe the biggest problem with side saddle is the inability to try out different putters. So I've spent three years and a fair amount of money working my way thru the process of figuring out length and weight and all the rest. I really liked the JuanPutt, and I really liked the Directed Force. But I think that I've finally gotten it exactly right with the BG F22; it's just a great piece of equipment. Stupid easy to line up and put a good stroke on the ball.

If you're on the fence about whether or not to spend the money for the F22, I'd urge you to go ahead. Bobby will customize it pretty much any way you want it, from the length to the type of shaft, to the position at which the shaft inserts into the head, to how far down the lower part of the grip goes, plus an optional weight kit if you want to play with that. I don't know of anything else like that on the market for those of us putting side saddle.

BTW, I played in a senior tournament on Monday, and one of the guys in my group was just fascinated with what I was doing. At one point as we rode from a green to the next tee, he said, "You just look so much more relaxed than the other three of us do when you're putting!" I considered that to be a really good testimony to the method.

Yep, I couldn't agree more. Played in a tourney this weekend and putted well all three days, just wish I could have said the same thing for my ball striking...

I'm debating about calling Bobby Grace and having him put me another one together but get it in all black or silver, rather than the bronze. Just for something else to look at if I ever get ice cold with my current F22.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting.

I attended a golf school in England (I'm a huge Brian Sparks fan).

Brian in all his 40+ years of teaching had never run into a sidesaddle putter.

Amazingly, in his small school of 6 people - another guy was also a sidesaddle putter.

So he never saw a sidesaddle putter in 40+ years of teaching and now in one school he had two of us!

I was pretty shocked too (as was the other sidesaddle putter)

Btw, Brian was fascinated by the stroke. Every time we were near a green he wanted to try my putter.

It probably didn't hurt that during the 9 hole playing lesson I sank a couple of long putts, didn't miss inside of 5 feet, and never even sniffed a 3 putt.

The other guy used a 48" inch old two ball putter. I stroked a couple with his putter and it was pretty nice.

Of course, no where near my BG F22! :)

Interesting.

I attended a golf school in England (I'm a huge Brian Sparks fan).

Brian in all his 40+ years of teaching had never run into a sidesaddle putter.

Amazingly, in his small school of 6 people - another guy was also a sidesaddle putter.

So he never saw a sidesaddle putter in 40+ years of teaching and now in one school he had two of us!

I was pretty shocked too (as was the other sidesaddle putter)

Btw, Brian was fascinated by the stroke. Every time we were near a green he wanted to try my putter.

It probably didn't hurt that during the 9 hole playing lesson I sank a couple of long putts, didn't miss inside of 5 feet, and never even sniffed a 3 putt.

The other guy used a 48" inch old two ball putter. I stroked a couple with his putter and it was pretty nice.

Of course, no where near my BG F22! :)

Good story; thanks!

I've written this before, but a common thread for me has been that good players and pros are really interested in what I'm doing; lesser players kind of go nuts to one degree or another.

Played in a shamble tourney this weekend with a very nice calcutta. We ended up winning the tourney and I putted fantastic with the F22. Its just so great to know and feel confident that you will start a putt on the correct line, so if your read is right its got a great chance of going in.

Made 5 birdies and an eagle (of course it was helpful my D player made an ace and we take 2 scores, so it counted as 2 aces :)). So now with my winnings, do I buy a back up F22 and get something Coach/Kate Spade for the wife, or blow it all on a set if i210 and glide wedges?

• 1 month later...

Alright so the last few days I have been diving into this thread and researching online and watching videos etc. and I am starting to believe in the merits of this style.

I want to give it a try but I also don’t want to drop the coin for a Bobby Grace, etc.

Anyone have ideas on a cheap way to get started? That way I can see if it’s something I really want to pursue and I can upgrade at that point in the future.

I found this one on eBay - the Hefty. Has anyone used this one? Seems like the shaft is close to the face.

Alright so the last few days I have been diving into this thread and researching online and watching videos etc. and I am starting to believe in the merits of this style.

I want to give it a try but I also don’t want to drop the coin for a Bobby Grace, etc.

Anyone have ideas on a cheap way to get started? That way I can see if it’s something I really want to pursue and I can upgrade at that point in the future.

I found this one on eBay - the Hefty. Has anyone used this one? Seems like the shaft is close to the face.

This is just a personal thing, but I've always seemed to putt better when the shaft is more behind the face than even with the face. But I'm sure that just fits my style better, so I'm sure you could make any of them work.

This is just a personal thing, but I've always seemed to putt better when the shaft is more behind the face than even with the face. But I'm sure that just fits my style better, so I'm sure you could make any of them work.

Yeah I had noticed that most of the “better” SS putters have the shaft a little further back from the face.

This one has the 80 degree lie angle and is 500 grams and multiple length options. Might pull the trigger and see how it feels.

There's a bunch of these knockoff Odessy two ball broomstick putters on Ebay you could try for $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-PUTTER-2-BALL-TWO-BALL-CUSTOM-LENGTH-TO-49-INCHES-RIGHT-HAND-WRAP-GRIP/153110297532?var=452954606359&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52885%26meid%3Dff7d302228814468acdf5eebedf9bd9c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D153110297532%26itm%3D452954606359&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Yeah I had noticed that most of the “better” SS putters have the shaft a little further back from the face.

This one has the 80 degree lie angle and is 500 grams and multiple length options. Might pull the trigger and see how it feels.

80* and heavy (500g+) are two of the biggest things I've noticed that improved my side saddling going from the LFI to the F22.

The F22 is just a piece of art honestly. If you got one and didn't like it I'd probably take it off your hands, lol.

80* and heavy (500g+) are two of the biggest things I've noticed that improved my side saddling going from the LFI to the F22.

The F22 is just a piece of art honestly. If you got one and didn't like it I'd probably take it off your hands, lol.

Hey J,

Are you saying my LFI that I bought from you is a piece of crap? Ha, I do like it so far!

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"