2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Any of you put SteelFibers in your P790s? If so, how is the combo?

(I've been in SF 110s for the past few years due to golfer's elbow issues -- and I'm 99% sure I'll stick with them or another graphite shaft.)

Just finished up a fitting this morning for new irons and ended up with the P790s with the SFi110s, combination worked out the best for me and had great feel and forgiveness.

After demoing shafts from Nippon, TT, Project X and KBS with the following heads Apex CX, X Forged, AP2, i210, JP 919 Tour & Forged, Z 565, the clear winner for me was the P790 & SFi110 combo.

These are replacing MP 60s with TT DG S400s that have been in my bag for a decade.

I also got the SM7 wedges with the SFi125 shafts, going to be fun to get these out on the course.

Haven't been able to read through this whole thread...can anyone compare forgiveness of these to Ping i25? I'm still playing about a 15 index and have been looking at going to something more forgiving like G400s but in testing I felt like I hit the p790s the best and just loved the feeling off the face. My iron game is hit and miss and shanks creep into my game 1-2x round so am looking for all the help I can get on the bad ones. Thanks!

Similar to you, I'm about a 13 handicap coming from i20s. Wanted to like the i500 as I'm a Ping fanboy and I love the looks, but the 790 felt and performed better for me. I've only got 2 rounds and a few range sessions with them so far, but I would say they are certainly longer, but progressively so - mostly in the 7 and longer irons, and only a little longer in the 8-W so gaps are a little more spread out but no huge steps (ie i probably picked up 5 yards on the wedge but 10 on the 4-7, but take this with a gain of salt as I'm not that consistent or precise!). They are more forgiving but only a little - thin shots and toe shots (which tend to be my miss) fly a little lower but go close to the same distance as well struck shots, which is a positive vs my i20s, but I find the long irons slightly more demanding as the i20/25 4 iron has a healthy amount of offset and is super easy to launch high. I haven't had the massive flyer that folks seem to be worried about. Unfortunately I can also confirm that the hosel is as unforgiving as the i20/25.

Ok guys i have 2 rounds an a few range sessions with the I500's i love the look BUT im not liking the feel i have ordered a set of P790'S they should be here in 5 days went with project x the same shaft i have in the I500'S I was in between when i purchased them to start with but a like what im hearing so the I500's will be for sale

Just finished up a fitting this morning for new irons and ended up with the P790s with the SFi110s, combination worked out the best for me and had great feel and forgiveness.

After demoing shafts from Nippon, TT, Project X and KBS with the following heads Apex CX, X Forged, AP2, i210, JP 919 Tour & Forged, Z 565, the clear winner for me was the P790 & SFi110 combo.

These are replacing MP 60s with TT DG S400s that have been in my bag for a decade.

I also got the SM7 wedges with the SFi125 shafts, going to be fun to get these out on the course.

So I'm guessing that most folks would say that the other irons you tested are less game-improvement than the 790s. If that's the case, how did you come by the 790s? Did the fitter recommend you give them a whirl, or did you go in knowing you wanted to try them out?

Thanks again for the feedback, all. (Except now I've even more interested in them. Dang it.)

Haven't been able to read through this whole thread...can anyone compare forgiveness of these to Ping i25? I'm still playing about a 15 index and have been looking at going to something more forgiving like G400s but in testing I felt like I hit the p790s the best and just loved the feeling off the face. My iron game is hit and miss and shanks creep into my game 1-2x round so am looking for all the help I can get on the bad ones. Thanks!

Similar to you, I'm about a 13 handicap coming from i20s. Wanted to like the i500 as I'm a Ping fanboy and I love the looks, but the 790 felt and performed better for me. I've only got 2 rounds and a few range sessions with them so far, but I would say they are certainly longer, but progressively so - mostly in the 7 and longer irons, and only a little longer in the 8-W so gaps are a little more spread out but no huge steps (ie i probably picked up 5 yards on the wedge but 10 on the 4-7, but take this with a gain of salt as I'm not that consistent or precise!). They are more forgiving but only a little - thin shots and toe shots (which tend to be my miss) fly a little lower but go close to the same distance as well struck shots, which is a positive vs my i20s, but I find the long irons slightly more demanding as the i20/25 4 iron has a healthy amount of offset and is super easy to launch high. I haven't had the massive flyer that folks seem to be worried about. Unfortunately I can also confirm that the hosel is as unforgiving as the i20/25.

Thanks for the info. Im at a spot where i really want to tinker but with a house purchase and a wedding I think I'm just gonna hold out till next year. Funny thing is I'm playing my best iron game in years right now and have my i25 distances so dialed I can't imagine new irons are gonna get me any strokes. I'm mostly just want something new to tinker with but too much adulting!

So I'm guessing that most folks would say that the other irons you tested are less game-improvement than the 790s. If that's the case, how did you come by the 790s? Did the fitter recommend you give them a whirl, or did you go in knowing you wanted to try them out?

Thanks again for the feedback, all. (Except now I've even more interested in them. Dang it.)

I let the fitter pick all of the clubs, I went in with no preconceived notions of what I wanted to demo. I did mention that I didn't want a clunky looking iron, I needed an iron that appealed to my eye.

I forgot to mention I also hit the PXG Gen1 0311 irons.

I narrowed the irons down to the AP2, Apex CF and P790. I was comfortable with all 3, dropped the AP2 as I didn't like the feel as much and I chose the P790 over the Apex based on aesthetics. Spin was a little less with the P790, but I made up for it with the angle of descent.

question for those w 790 iron sets - did you have to reduce the loft gap between either your 9 iron and PW (ie using vokey sm7 PW); or your PW and GW (ie P790 PW and SM7 GW) ? For example, if the P790 PW is a 45 deg, a common wedge set might be 50-54-58 or something like that. Was just curious if the difference between a P790 and a non-790 wedge (gap) would be such that one should go 48 or 49 deg on the GW to keep consistent yardage caps between clubs.

Also, Not sure why people keep calling these distance irons. I haven't found them (via demo) unworkable at all. If not obvious, I'm far from an elite level ball-striker with a control over trajectory/ shape/ distance.

Last question - has anyone tried the P790s with both the PX's (6.0) and PX LZ (6.0)? Was curious to get some feedback. I wasn't able to demo the PX LZ, but feel like I would like the softer feel and loading of the LZ - with the only concern that spin rates would be noticeably higher over the PX. Was recommended the PX 6.0s at fitting.

I am at a 50,54,58 wedge setup!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Love my P790's

Saw some questions about the durability of the foam inside, anyone know anything about this? How long can we expect to see the optimal consistent performance?

Sorry if this has already been posted, I did the search and saw nothing and don't have the time to go through all 116 pages on this thread.

I did some Google-fu on this recently and came across a question on TM's website, I believe. The TM answer was that older forms of injection foam used different materials, but they claim that their current SpeedFoam is much more durable and should not wear down over time. Obviously this is coming from a biased source, but probably about the only answer we will have until many years pass and the irons prove/fail that idea themselves

Titleist TSi3 8*, Tensei AV White 65X

Cobra Big Tour 3W, Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue 70X

Ping G425 19* 3H, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85X

Taylormade UDI 3i, Diamana Thump 100X

Taylormade p790 5-AW, C-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 10S bent to 53

Titleist Vokey SM7 56* 8M bent to 57

Titleist Vokey SM7 60* 12D

Thanks for the info. Im at a spot where i really want to tinker but with a house purchase and a wedding I think I'm just gonna hold out till next year. Funny thing is I'm playing my best iron game in years right now and have my i25 distances so dialed I can't imagine new irons are gonna get me any strokes. I'm mostly just want something new to tinker with but too much adulting!

Maybe just buy the P790 3 or 4 iron and add it to your i25’s?

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Any of you put SteelFibers in your P790s? If so, how is the combo?

(I've been in SF 110s for the past few years due to golfer's elbow issues -- and I'm 99% sure I'll stick with them or another graphite shaft.)

I’m interested in this as well. Will the Steelfiber i95’s I currently have in some Adams Idea Pro Gold forged work in my TM 790 heads?

Can anyone answer this question?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

So I'm 10 rounds in with my 790s and they just keep getting better. I've not had a single flyer and distance control has been exactly where I need it to be now I've learnt the distance gain I got over my previous irons. Might have to add the UDI 2 to the set as the 4 iron has been seriously impressive

So is the black holding up?

I picked up a black 3i with the black DG105, hit maybe 6-8 times on course, can't really tell it has been hit.

I was not overly excited, probably dump it....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I picked up a black 3i with the black DG105, hit maybe 6-8 times on course, can't really tell it has been hit.

Really?? That’s a bummer man....

I am just not a 3 iron guy I guess, hit my 4 great, but just better with the 3H.

Oh well.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Really?? That’s a bummer man....

I am just not a 3 iron guy I guess, hit my 4 great, but just better with the 3H.

Oh well.

Maybe try the GAPR low or mid....don’t know why, but that mid intrigues me.

I now have about 40 rounds with my P790's and have gone from a 6 index to a 4. Best irons I have ever played and I can't be happier with them. I would recommend them to anyone.

my index is down 3.5 points since i put them in the bag, the funniest part is that it would be a 5 points if i never swapped out my ping ketsch putter

time to right that wrong this weekend.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

So my buddy has the p790s, I still rock i20s (i don't think there is much difference in i20 vs i25) - he used to be at least a club behind me, with same age clubs (he was hitting whatever the vintage of TM was at that time). He's caught up with me in length, no discernable difference in swing speed for either of us. I hit his 7 iron for giggles on the range, just piercing trajectory, great ball fight. If I was upgrading I'd seriously consider them a contender.

I do have the p790 UDI but its more of a specialty club than an iron, but same thing. Definitely some performance in the technology.

For anyone who has had the lie angle adjusted on these, is the hosel a really soft forging? Just trying to get a sense for how much damage I should expect to see the the lies are adjusted. Also, called TM and they said they'd do the adjustments for me there for free if I paid for shipping. Wondering if the likelihood of them getting done correctly is higher sending them to TM rather than my local PGA SS or Golf Galaxy. PGA SS wants $32 for the whole set and I think GG wants $5/club.

Thanks in advance

For anyone who has had the lie angle adjusted on these, is the hosel a really soft forging? Just trying to get a sense for how much damage I should expect to see the the lies are adjusted. Also, called TM and they said they'd do the adjustments for me there for free if I paid for shipping. Wondering if the likelihood of them getting done correctly is higher sending them to TM rather than my local PGA SS or Golf Galaxy. PGA SS wants $32 for the whole set and I think GG wants $5/club.

Thanks in advance

The heads are cast of 8620. Not terrible to bend, but not as easy as a forged head. I had a set and have a bending machine and made some adjustments without any damage.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I must be one of the few who cannot seem to hit these darn things. I went into my fitting wanting to love the 790's and for some reason just could not hit them very well with any shaft.

Just recently I started to try out driving irons and bought the p790 UDI with Tensei Pro White 100TX and have never been more excited about getting a club. I cannot hit the thing to save my life. I have tried it for a few rounds, some range balls, choked up, with lead tape, nothing I do can make me comfortable with it. Exactly how I felt with the set 6i. I'll have the UDI on BTS tonight as I just can't hit it consistent.

I don't know what it is with me and these heads but I just can't "find it" in my swing. They are stunning looking clubs though.

I must be one of the few who cannot seem to hit these darn things. I went into my fitting wanting to love the 790's and for some reason just could not hit them very well with any shaft.

Just recently I started to try out driving irons and bought the p790 UDI with Tensei Pro White 100TX and have never been more excited about getting a club. I cannot hit the thing to save my life. I have tried it for a few rounds, some range balls, choked up, with lead tape, nothing I do can make me comfortable with it. Exactly how I felt with the set 6i. I'll have the UDI on BTS tonight as I just can't hit it consistent.

I don't know what it is with me and these heads but I just can't "find it" in my swing. They are stunning looking clubs though.

Check the swing weights of your clubs. I struggled with the P790's when I hit them too. I tend to be very sensitive to swing weights, and I am used to playing irons around D4-D5, but in my experience the P790's play on the light side. I couldn't hit them to save my life. I have the UDI with a Tensei Pro White 90TX. I had to add almost 8 grams to the head to get it back to D0 at 40 inches. I would like to play it at 39.25 inches, but I would have to add a mountain of lead tape to get it to where I want it to be around D4. I bought a 100TX to put in it to help alleviate some of the swing weight issues, but I might just move on from the P790 UDI and try something else. I might go back to my original UDI.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Your not filling me with confidence brother! In going to try it for the first time tomorrow. But it's at a course I've been to twice. There is a couple holes that will be a good test for it.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I also hated them. Had them a couple weeks and scores elevated. Went out and swapped for a set of Titleist cb irons. Down to scratch now, way better workability and distance control. Not for everyone. I did keep the 3 iron and put a standard dynamic gold shaft in.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61) DGS200

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

Check the swing weights of your clubs. I struggled with the P790's when I hit them too. I tend to be very sensitive to swing weights, and I am used to playing irons around D4-D5, but in my experience the P790's play on the light side. I couldn't hit them to save my life. I have the UDI with a Tensei Pro White 90TX. I had to add almost 8 grams to the head to get it back to D0 at 40 inches. I would like to play it at 39.25 inches, but I would have to add a mountain of lead tape to get it to where I want it to be around D4. I bought a 100TX to put in it to help alleviate some of the swing weight issues, but I might just move on from the P790 UDI and try something else. I might go back to my original UDI.

Take a look at this thread as it shows how TM is using weight cartridges in their irons. I've just removed a 10g weight from my Hi toe as it was playing too heavy but you will see that weights up to 14g can be incorporated in the hosel cavity

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1685548-hi-toe-wedge-shaft-insertion-depth/

Here is my feedback after 6 weeks with these irons. I am currently a 14 handicap, my last 6 rounds are 87, 85, 84, 77 and 82, 81 with these irons. My game is getting better, handicap is going to drop like a rock in a few days, and I am winning so much money off the buddies I cannot get strokes anymore. I went from forged Wood Bros to Mizuno JPX 800 for 4 years and wanted to go back to something forgiving that I could work. Right now I am close to dialing these in. I noticed right away my mishits sucked with these iron, so I try much harder to flush the ball and and it is paying dividends. I really like the smaller club head and no offset. I had these custom fitted, cannot attest to added distance, but will say I am getitng them higher and straighter so far, and hitting more GIR's.

Take a look at this thread as it shows how TM is using weight cartridges in their irons. I've just removed a 10g weight from my Hi toe as it was playing too heavy but you will see that weights up to 14g can be incorporated in the hosel cavity

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1685548-hi-toe-wedge-shaft-insertion-depth/

Thanks man. I wish I could get a hold of some of those weights.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Here is my feedback after 6 weeks with these irons. I am currently a 14 handicap, my last 6 rounds are 87, 85, 84, 77 and 82, 81 with these irons. My game is getting better, handicap is going to drop like a rock in a few days, and I am winning so much money off the buddies I cannot get strokes anymore. I went from forged Wood Bros to Mizuno JPX 800 for 4 years and wanted to go back to something forgiving that I could work. Right now I am close to dialing these in. I noticed right away my mishits sucked with these iron, so I try much harder to flush the ball and and it is paying dividends. I really like the smaller club head and no offset. I had these custom fitted, cannot attest to added distance, but will say I am getitng them higher and straighter so far, and hitting more GIR's.

I now have 2 rounds in with my new 790’s. Very very early first impressions are that they are about a club longer than I expected, and they are about as forgiving as my MX200 Mizunos. I did score my low round of the season (73) on Sunday! Also gotta give props to the flat stick! Count me as a happy weekend golfer!

I had tried 5 grams but didn't get the difference I was looking for. I was about to list it but maybe I'll cake on the lead tape and see how much it takes to get the head to feel some weight.