Fred Couples’ New Driver

RIP SLDR. With the last professional golfer having discarded you, may you take your rightful place in Hell.

I had a buddy that had the 430.

He let me hit three drives. One ob left. Two ob left. Next one piped.

I told him, "give up golf, or lose the driver"

Hes played two rounds in three years since then.

It had a really pretty white grip though.

The “SLDR is so hard to hit” trope has to be one of my favorite WRXisms. Here we have people blaming a 430cc driver head for snap hooks like it’s a 1989 laminated head with a whippy senior graphite shaft in it. Just fantastic stuff.

• Like 1
ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

The “SLDR is so hard to hit” trope has to be one of my favorite WRXisms. Here we have people blaming a 430cc driver head for snap hooks like it’s a 1989 laminated head with a whippy senior graphite shaft in it. Just fantastic stuff.

I never understood that either. It was my favorite driver since the 510 tp. Loved my SLDR

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Should have gone SLDR-C. A far superior club, especially with a Miyazaki shaft apparently. He could have picked one up when he stopped for gas too.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Should have gone SLDR-C. It's a far superior club, especially with a Miyazaki Kusala Black 61 shaft!

Well, I suspect Freddy would like it, as it is very reminiscent of the older TM 500 'classic' series of TaylorMade Drivers that he has always loved. Freddy played a 9.5* R510-TP Tour before playing Bridgestone and the SLDR He has used a 8.5* R580XD-TP Tour Driver as well. He always insisted the Tour Van install 'original black' Fujikura 757 shafts in those TM drivers, not the newer 757 Tourspec shaft, even though Fujikura assured him the newer 757 Tourspec would play exactly the same. Freddy never did buy into that, and always insisted there was a difference in these (2) 757 shafts, at least for his swing.

Interestingly, the SLDR-C plays, feels, and sounds very much like the latter R580XD-TP Tour Driver that Freddy played, and even resembles that older TM 440cc model from the address position. However, as one would expect, the more modern SLDR-C certainly produces less spin and more distance than the older R580XD-TP Tour. The R580XD-TP Tour also spins more than the R510-TP Driver which is why Freddy preferred a lower loft, (8.5*), in that higher-launching Tour model which gave him more carry distance, but less rollout.

However, having said all that, even if Freddy 'wanted' to play the SLDR-C Driver, he wouldn't be allowed to play it under the USGA's 'conforming driver' rules..

The SLDR-'C' Driver has not been approved for Tour play under the current USGA face flex test known as the 'Characteristic Time' test (or 'CT Test'). This is the latest test for conforming face flex and it replaced the older USGA face flex test that more people seem to know about, known as the 'Coefficient of Restitution' test, the 'COR Test', for a 'conforming amount' of face flex). These tests are designed to measure the 'trampoline effect' of a Driver clubface. If there is an excessive amount of 'springiness' to the clubface, (aka a 'hot face'), then the driver will fail the 'CT Test' and be considered 'non-conforming' under USGA rules.

So, as it stands right now, the 2015 SLDR-C Driver is considered NON-CONFORMING and therefore ineligible for use on either the PGA Tour, or the Champions Tour, both of which Freddy still plays on for certain events during the year.

It will be interesting to see if Freddy has truly abandoned the SLDR he has used for years now, in favor of something newer from TM, and whether he sticks with it over time. He may be just 'testing' something new under tournament pressure, and not yet fully committed to it. Freddy doesn't change drivers easily, and certainly not that often... :rolleyes:

Note: You can 'google search' a list of all the drivers currently deemed 'conforming' by the USGA.

SLDR-C - A 'RE-DESIGNED' TAYLORMADE SLDR DRIVER FOR 2015

THE 'CUSTOM SHAFT' MENTIONED ABOVE

NO DOUBT THAT FREDDY WOULD APPRECIATE 'THE LOOK' OF THE (460cc) SLDR-C AT ADDRESS

ABOVE IS THE (390cc) R510-TP -- THE R580XD-TP TOUR LOOKS THE SAME, JUST BIGGER, (440cc)

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Well we know Freddie won’t practice too much with the M3. Hopefully it helps him find a few more fairways, and takes a little stress off his back. So we can see him playing more often.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

I need a 510tp again

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

The "SLDR is so hard to hit" trope has to be one of my favorite WRXisms. Here we have people blaming a 430cc driver head for snap hooks like it's a 1989 laminated head with a whippy senior graphite shaft in it. Just fantastic stuff.

SLDR isn't the issue people are having snap hooks but it definitely was not the most forgiving driver of it's time, let alone compared to current. I had the 430 model and I hit some of the best drives I had ever hit... but had to scrap it because if my swing was off I wasn't getting much help.

Titleist TSR3 : Ventus TR Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

Never change Bobcat! I come into every SLDR thread to:

a) read the posts counting down to your arrival.

b) read about your passion and absolute devotion to the SLDR-C

c) read the reaction to your comments explicitly outlining the many benefits of the SLDR-C

Its like you're the King Midas of the SLDR threads, because every time you touch them, they turn to absolute gold!

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

I was at the tourney yesterday and followed Fred the whole day. He was hitting an m3 with a tensei pro blue. He had seemingly no clue what the shaft was. He called a guy over to ask him about it on the putting green and was saying he loved the shaft but had no clue what it was. He was killing the driver all day though except. 30 yards past Toledo and inman

Thanks for the update on the shaft!! Funny how he bombs everything he hits and has no idea!

Yeah, Freddy is totally 'a feel player'....No interested in hearing about 'technology', just decides what he likes based upon the result of shots he's hit with any particular club/shaft combo, and how each of those shot 'felt' to him!... :yes:

:golfer:

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

:offtopic2:

I went up to Bellingham to play and joined up with a group of kids (20 somethings). One of them was playing with a 510(non tp) and I tried it on one hole. Wow! Solid solid solid.

Yes, the non-TP R510 (330cc) did indeed have a very 'solid feel' for a Retail head...and good sound too! Seems there is still some interest in older TM Drivers! I have quite a history with TaylorMade's R500 Series of Drivers myself, (primarily with Tour-issued models). I have played TM most of my life and still do so. Some of my TM driver 'history' may be of interest to certain Golfwrx'ers here. However, for anyone not interested, please just 'ignore and skip' this post as it goes even further 'OFF-TOPIC'.

:smilie_tm: (2003 - 2012)

The first release of R510's, R540's and R580's (those without scoring lines in the center of the face). were actually 'non-conforming' because TM jumped the gun and 'assumed' the USGA was about to adopt the .086 COR standard of the R&A. However, that simply didn't happen, so TM then had to offer a 2nd release of the same R500 Series Drivers, (this time with scoring lines in the center of the face so people could tell the difference). An exchange program offering new conforming models to those who had purchased the early 'non-conforming models' of the R510, (330cc), R540, (350cc) and the R580, (400cc) was necessary for TaylorMade and it was very costly for the company. (Of course, not everyone wanted an exchange, some TM customers decided to hang on to their non-conforming R500 series Drivers)

At the time of the R500 Series release, I was playing the "Holy Grail" 300 Tour, (360cc), with the original black Speeder 757 shaft, tipped an inch. It was extremely 'solid feeling', (and in my opinion longer), but it had a small sweet spot! The R510 showed me that TM's new 'Inverted Cone Technology' really was a worthwhile innovation in terms of increasing sweet spot size, and adding forgiveness across the clubface. So, soon, afterwards, I got my hands on the R500 Tour Driver, (325cc). That driver stayed in my bag for almost 10-years!

While I had a few 'excursions' with the 'excellent' R510-TP Tour, (390cc), R540XD-TP Tour, (400cc), and R580XD-TP Tour,(440cc) Drivers, all with a 77-gram Fujikura Speeder 757 Tourspec shaft, nothing kept the 'smaller sized' R500 Tour out of my bag for very long back then. For me, nothing was as workable, controllable, or had such a low spin rate in those days as the R500 Tour. It felt to me like the aforementioned "Holy Grail" but with a bigger sweet spot. It's bullet-like, piercing trajectory was able to defy the wind's effect on the ball like no other driver of it's time. Tiger Woods once tried it during a European Event practice round, and stated, 'This Driver has to be non-conforming", but in actuality, it was not! No question the R510-TP was more popular, but I preferred the smaller R500 Tour with the original (black) Speeder 757 shaft.

:smilie_cleve:STRAYED AWAY FROM TM FOR 'THE CLEVELAND CLASSIC DRIVER' - (2012 - 2014)

Finally in 2012, I replaced my aging R500 Tour with the Cleveland Classic 310 Tour Driver, (440cc), which I found quite unique both in concept and design. Despite having 'Tour' in the name, this is actually a Retail Driver that flew 'under the radar'. It's an improved 'Tour Launcher' (TL), with a throwback, (persimmon-like), paint finish and gold colored sole plate. It was designed for better players, but the less-expensive (Retail) Cleveland Classic 290, (460cc), and designed for mid-cappers got all the attention. The Cleveland Classic 310 Tour gave me that piercing, wind-cheating trajectory similar to the R500 Tour, but with more distance. However, it did have a built-in 'fade bias', and I was not thrilled with the 'higher pitched sound' the clubhead made at impact. However, I absolutely 'loved' the Myazaki Kusala Black 61s stock as it gave me the best numbers of any shaft I ever tested. I learned to just expect 'the fade' and allow for it.

:smilie_tm: IN 2014 I WENT BACK TO TM - (FOR THE SLDR 430 TOUR)

While using my 'fade biased' Cleveland Driver, I began to miss the ability to hit an even more penetrating draw shot into the Florida winter wind, so in early 2014 I 'bought into the hype' and began testing the SLDR 430 Tour!. (The Tour model SLDR 460 was actually the more popular driver on Tour at the time, but I much preferred the more solid feel and sound of the SLDR 430 Tour). Shockingly I needed the 12* head, (a 'crazy high' loft for me), but as long as I didn't 'over-swing', the SLDR 430 Tour, I could hit a nice, consistent 5-10 yard draw with good distance most of the time while using the 77 gram Motore Speeder 'TP" Tourspec shaft! (Keep in mind that SLDR Tour-issued Drivers have a different weighting scheme than the 'less forgiving' SLDR Retail Drivers). The only thing that bothered me about the Tour 430 was my reluctance to go 'all out' when hitting it This is a driver that can cost you a lot of yards if you start missing the sweet spot, so I always felit I had to be careful and 'swing within myself' when using that particular driver.

I was surprised just how 'fade resistant' the SLDR 430 was for me, it never wanted to go right, (fade), even when I tried to put my 'fade swing' on it. Ironically, that was precisely the 'opposite bias' that I experienced with the 9.5* Cleveland Classic 310 Tour Driver, which never wanted to go left, (draw). So early on in 2014, I found myself alternating between a 'Fade Driver' (the Cleveland Clssiic 310), and a Draw Driver', (the SLDR 430 Tour). Both were quite long, but both could be problematic on 'dogleg holes' that 'begged' for a shot curving in the opposite direction of each the driver's directional bias, (left or right). Finally, after switching back and forth for awhile, I decided to bag the SLDR 430 Tour, because it's 'small draw' seemed more reliable in finding fairways than the less predictable fades I was getting with the Cleveland Classic 310 Tour. The latter had me in the rough a bit more often. Once that difficult driver decision was made however, the SLDR 430 Tour remained in my bag until mid-2015 and I enjoyed my time with it.

:smilie_tm: (2015 to Present Day 2018) - A SURPRISING YET VERY SOLID TM DRIVER CHOICE!

That brings me to the present, and I think most Golfwrx'ers already know which Driver I switched to back in mid-2015, shortly after it was announced. It's a 9.5* TM driver that I still play, (no 'loft up' required), and the driver that is shown in my 'signature club list' at the end of each one of my posts!. That Driver stays in the bag because it's long, it's quite forgiving, and it just wants to go 'dead straight', (no draw or fade bias whatsoever), plus it delivers very good sound and feel. With my 'custom' Miayzaki Kusala Black 61s, shaft, (tipped 1/2"), it's also a driver that allows me to swing 'full out' without any fear of an errant shot. Because it delivers such predictable results, I continue to have the utmost confidence in it... :yes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion, success with any driver is best measured not by how long you may hit any one particular drive, but rather by whether or not that driver actually increases 'your driving distance average', and your 'percentage of fairways hit'. My current driver 'continues to shine' using this criteria, and therefore it stays in my bag!... :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'FACE IT'...RELIABILITY MATTERS MOST!

RIP SLDR. With the last professional golfer having discarded you, may you take your rightful place in Hell.

Not quite yet, I think Goydos still has one.

100% correct

Driver: Titleist TS3 w/ Diamana WB 
3 wood: Cobra F9 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
7 wood: Cobra F9 bent 2 degrees w/ Speeder 9.2 
4 iron: Srixon U65 w/ KBS Prototype 
5-PW Srixon 965’s w/Nunchuck’s
Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 raw
Putter:Odyssey R-Ball w/ stability shaft 

I went up to Bellingham to play and joined up with a group of kids (20 somethings). One of them was playing with a 510(non tp) and I tried it on one hole. Wow! Solid solid solid.

Yeah, the non-TP R510 (330cc) did indeed have a very 'solid feel' for a Retail head...and good sound too! Actually, I have quite a history with TaylorMade's R500 Series of Drivers myself, primarily Tour-issued models which may be of interest to some Golfwrx'ers here:

:smilie_tm: (2003 - 2012)

The first release of R510's, (those without scoring lines in the middle of the face). were non-conforming because TM jumped the gun and 'assumed' the USGA was about to adopt the .086 COR standard of the the R&A. However, that didn't happen, so TM then had to offer a 2nd release of the R500 Series Driver, (this time with scoring lines in the middle of the face). An exchange program for those who had purchased the early non-conforming models of the R510, R540, (350cc) and R580, (400cc) had to be offered by TaylorMade which was quite costly for the company. (Of course, not everyone wanted an exchange, there were still quite a few TM customers who decided to hang on to their non-conforming R500 series Driver)

At the time of the R500 Series release, I was playing the "Holy Grail" 300 Tour, (360cc) which was even more 'solid feeling', (and in my opinion longer, but it did have a much smaller sweet spot! The R510 showed me that TM's 'Inverted Cone Technology' really was somewhat of a game changer in terms of increasing sweet spot size with more forgiveness across the width of the clubface. So, soon, afterwards, I got my hands on a R500 Tour Driver, (325cc). That driver stayed in my bag for almost 10-years! While I had a few 'excursions' to the R510-TP Tour, the R540XD-TP Tour, (400cc), and the R580XD-TP Tour,(440cc) nothing kept the 'smaller sized' R500 Tour out of my bag for very long back then despite how good those other R500 Series Tour-issued drivers were! .For me, nothing was as workable, or controllable, with such a low spin rate in those days than the R500 Tour. It had this bullet-like, piercing trajectory that was able to defy the wind's effect on the ball. Tiger Woods once tried it during a European Event practice round and stated, 'This Driver has to be non-conforming", but actually it was not!

:smilie_cleve:('THE CLASSICS' - 2012)

Finally in 2012, I replaced my aging R500 Tour with the 440cc Cleveland Classic 310 Tour Driver.

Despite having 'Tour' in it's name, this is actually a Retail Driver that tended to fly under the radar). It's a far better choice than the Retail Cleveland Classic 290, (460cc) for better players, but for some reason it got less attention. The Cleveland Classic 310 Tour also offered a piercing, wind-cheating trajectory similar to the R500 Tour, and more distance! Only issues I had with it was the fade bias which was 'built in to the clubhead',and the higher pitched sound it made at impact. However, the outstanding Myazaki Kusala Black 61s (stock) shaft that I discovered with the Classic 310 turned was the perfect shaft for me!.

:smilie_tm: (IN 2014, I CAME BACK!)

I did start to miss the ability, to hit a draw when I wanted to, so in 2014 I began testing the SLDR 430 Tour!. (The Tour model SLDR 460 was the most popular driver on Tour at that time). Shockingly I found the need to 'loft up' to the 12* model, which seemed a 'crazy high' loft for me, but as long as I didn't over-swing, the SLDR 430 Tour delivered consistent 5-10 yard draws almost every time, with good distance!...(Keep in mind that SLDR Tour-issued Drivers have a very different weighting scheme than the 'less forgiving' SLDR Retail Drivers). Interestingly, I found the SLDR 430 Tour very 'fade resistant', for me, which 'ironically' was the exact 'opposite bias' I experienced with the 9.5* Cleveland Classic 310 Tour Driver. So now I owned both a great 'Fade Driver' and a great 'Draw Driver', both quite long, but both could also be a bit of a problem on any 'dogleg hole' that 'begged'; for a shot curving in the opposite direction from the particular bias on the Driver I was using. After switching back and forth, I ultimately decided on the SLDR 430 Tour, as the 'small draw' (SLDR 430) was a bit more reliable than the 'not-always-so-small fade' of the Classic 310..

:smilie_tm: (2015 to Present Day 2018)

That brings me to the present, and I think most Golfwrx'ers already know which Driver I switched to back in mid-2015, soon after it was announced, because it's the driver I still play, and the driver shown in my 'signature club list' that appears at the end of each post I make!...That Driver stays in the bag because it is long, it is quite forgiving and it goes 'dead straight', (no draw or fade bias), plus it delivers good sound and feel. With my 'custom' Miayzaki Kusala Black 61s, shaft, (tipped 1/2"), it's a driver that 'allows me to swing 'all out' without fear of hitting an errant shot. It delivers very predictable results, so naturally, I continue to have the utmost confidence in it!... :yes:

In my opinion, success with a driver is measured not by how long you may have hit any one particular drive, but rather by whether or not it actually increases 'your average driving distance average', and your 'percentage of fairways hit'. My current driver 'continues to shine' using that criteria, so it stays in the bag!... :rolleyes:

'FACE IT'...RELIABILITY MATTERS MOST!

Enjoyed your posts in this thread.

Are you saying the tour issue SLDR 430 is more fade bias than the retail SLDR 430?

Thanks for your help.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style