2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

Anyone been able to mute the sound on the LS TEC?

From what i've read, hotmelting does a good job of muting the sound but it does add to the swing weight. Also, i've also read of people putting cotton in the head.

I put 2-3 cotton balls in an older G30 LS and it really muted the sound. I should have never sold it to one of my playing partners. Best sounding driver I have ever heard after I did that.

I had mine hotmelted. It did mute the sound. If you care, cotton balls are USGA non-conforming.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i've read, hotmelting does a good job of muting the sound but it does add to the swing weight. Also, i've also read of people putting cotton in the head.

I put 2-3 cotton balls in an older G30 LS and it really muted the sound. I should have never sold it to one of my playing partners. Best sounding driver I have ever heard after I did that.

I had mine hotmelted. It did mute the sound. If you care, cotton balls are USGA non-conforming.

That's not quite what the USGA told me. How you use the cotton MIGHT make your club non-conforming. Must be packed enough so there's no movement. Exactly how many cotton balls is required is arguable since the USGA won't make an official ruling about it.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

That's not quite what the USGA told me. How you use the cotton MIGHT make your club non-conforming. Must be packed enough so there's no movement. Exactly how many cotton balls is required is arguable since the USGA won't make an official ruling about it.

Wouldn't polyfill or fiberfill be easier than cottonballs, and less prone to absorbing water? Seems like it expands better as well?

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

Wouldn't polyfill or fiberfill be easier than cottonballs, and less prone to absorbing water? Seems like it expands better as well?

Do you have an unsealed opening? Never really considered the possibility of water getting inside the head to be an issue.

Otherwise, I suppose polyfill, cotton balls, yarn, plastic bags, or anything else you could think of would function the same. They'd also be subject to the same USGA parameters.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Do you have an unsealed opening? Never really considered the possibility of water getting inside the head to be an issue.

Otherwise, I suppose polyfill, cotton balls, yarn, plastic bags, or anything else you could think of would function the same. They'd also be subject to the same USGA parameters.

I don't really think water would be an issue, but I think some of the Cobra drivers have a small window or hole in the adapter area. The polyfill seems like it expands better than cotton balls, and would expand better once inside the head. Never really tried it though.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a used (but basically brand new) Ping G LS Tec with a UST ProForce V2 stiff 66g. My swing speed is 107avg and +2 attack and I generally play a straight ball or slight fade. Any idea if this shaft will be a good combo? Or is there something out there shaft wise that is must have for my swing characteristics with this head?

Thanks.

See my previous post as I upgraded to AD-GP in 75X after being fitted and it gave me an improvement over the Tour65X from Ping. Same SS as you and I'm carrying in the 270's range consistently. Good luck. Let us know how the V2 works for you. Ping TourX shafts are pretty good as well and can be had for 70 or so.

Thanks. Yes I'll post on here with my feedback regarding the V2. I generally stay away from X-flex as I usually can't feel them load in the bs, but I wouldn't rule out any flex or any shaft if it gave me better numbers. How many different shafts did you test before settling on the AD?

I've had a number of indoor (it's winter here in Nova Scotia) sessions with the UST V2 in my Ping G LS Tec set usually on either 8 or 8.6 degrees, both in in 66g stiff (45) and 76g x-stiff (45.5) Although the V2 is considered somewhat stout, the stiff shaft was causing a little too much dispersion compared to the X. Perhaps the extra 10g made a difference as well, but I feel much better swinging the V2 x-stiff. I've practiced on both HD sims and the PGA sims, and i'm carrying it between 270-285 with a 108-114 swing speed; which I'm please about however I switched into this driver to bring my spin down and it's still registering around 3000. So I'm pretty sure it's my swing causing the issues, but then again I don't feel like the V2 is quite right. Something just seems a little off. Initially I thought the swing weight may be too low since I put on a midsize grip, so I weighed it and indeed it was weighing in at C 9.6; so then I weighed the back weight and it was only 4g. The weight offerings are 4, 8, 10, 12, 14 I believe, so I'm not sure if the 4g is standard weight or not because I bought this driver second hand, but regardless I want to bring the swing weight up to D3 ish. Rather then order a new weight (probably the 10g) I used lead tape. I also put some on the heel area as I notice this driver to be slightly fade bias. Overall it's around D3 now (i think), but I actually haven't weighed it again since applying the tape. Testing it with tape off at C9.6 or tape on (approx D3), I didn't see a big difference in spin. From those who have changed weights, have you found the heavier weights produce more or less spin, and or different flight characteristics?

As far as another shaft I'm considering the Aldila Rogue I/O 125 MSI 70g TX. But if there is a specific shaft out there that you think will bring down my spin please share.

My only other comment is I noticed the sweet spot on this driver is high and toe side.

Pics below...

As far as another shaft I'm considering the Aldila Rogue I/O 125 MSI 70g TX. But if there is a specific shaft out there that you think will bring down my spin please share.

If you are getting high spin with the 76 gm v2 x-stiff, the problem is very unlikely a direct problem with the bend profile of the shaft so it's unlikely that trying to find a stiffer shaft will fix the problem.

If you haven't, first thing to do is to check the location and consistency of the face impact. That will have more impact on the spin than any other factor. The next thing to do is to dial in the playing length, shaft weight, and swing weight that gives you the best impact. Howard's tutorial here is the best way to do that:

http://www.golfwrx.c...driver fitting

If after that, you are still getting high spin, the problem is most likely from the swing - adding too much loft at impact. (and no it doesn't mean AoA is the problem even if it might be negative).

Now the only caveat is that for some people it's possible that the feel of the shaft loading/unloading (either too stiff or too soft), can cause alterations in the swing that may not be desirable. Unfortunately, the only way to test that out is to get out and try a bunch of different shafts with different bend profiles and see how the results change. However, the above self-fitting needs to come first and the different bend profiles should be tested and compared with the same/similar playing length, total weight (shaft weight) and swing weight.

I have the Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70 2.8 X its a phenomenal shaft.

I went to the 110 60 3.1 X and it isn't as good, for my swing.

I broke the tip on the first one I had, but I think I can salvage it and make it a 43" shaft and put it in my i25 three wood that has the 70 gram stiff in it

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Anyone playing a G or G30 with the AD-BB7x?

This might be the setup I go to if my Epic experiment does not pan out.

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Epic SZ did not so out. To inconsistent for me. To much left in it for me, balance felt off as well.

Ping G ls tec coming up. BB7x on the way as well

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Just picked up a used (but basically brand new) Ping G LS Tec with a UST ProForce V2 stiff 66g. My swing speed is 107avg and +2 attack and I generally play a straight ball or slight fade. Any idea if this shaft will be a good combo? Or is there something out there shaft wise that is must have for my swing characteristics with this head?

Thanks.

See my previous post as I upgraded to AD-GP in 75X after being fitted and it gave me an improvement over the Tour65X from Ping. Same SS as you and I'm carrying in the 270's range consistently. Good luck. Let us know how the V2 works for you. Ping TourX shafts are pretty good as well and can be had for 70 or so.

Thanks. Yes I'll post on here with my feedback regarding the V2. I generally stay away from X-flex as I usually can't feel them load in the bs, but I wouldn't rule out any flex or any shaft if it gave me better numbers. How many different shafts did you test before settling on the AD?

I've had a number of indoor (it's winter here in Nova Scotia) sessions with the UST V2 in my Ping G LS Tec set usually on either 8 or 8.6 degrees, both in in 66g stiff (45) and 76g x-stiff (45.5) Although the V2 is considered somewhat stout, the stiff shaft was causing a little too much dispersion compared to the X. Perhaps the extra 10g made a difference as well, but I feel much better swinging the V2 x-stiff. I've practiced on both HD sims and the PGA sims, and i'm carrying it between 270-285 with a 108-114 swing speed; which I'm please about however I switched into this driver to bring my spin down and it's still registering around 3000. So I'm pretty sure it's my swing causing the issues, but then again I don't feel like the V2 is quite right. Something just seems a little off. Initially I thought the swing weight may be too low since I put on a midsize grip, so I weighed it and indeed it was weighing in at C 9.6; so then I weighed the back weight and it was only 4g. The weight offerings are 4, 8, 10, 12, 14 I believe, so I'm not sure if the 4g is standard weight or not because I bought this driver second hand, but regardless I want to bring the swing weight up to D3 ish. Rather then order a new weight (probably the 10g) I used lead tape. I also put some on the heel area as I notice this driver to be slightly fade bias. Overall it's around D3 now (i think), but I actually haven't weighed it again since applying the tape. Testing it with tape off at C9.6 or tape on (approx D3), I didn't see a big difference in spin. From those who have changed weights, have you found the heavier weights produce more or less spin, and or different flight characteristics?

My only other comment is I noticed the sweet spot on this driver is high and toe side.

Pics below...

Turns out I must have originally weighed it with my 68g Tour Stiff (50') in and not the 76g X-stiff (50.5). Weighed it with the tape on the other day and it was D 9.6 lol. So I pulled off all the tape on the back and one of 3 strips on the heel. Came out to D 4.6 which felt pretty good, but may pull one more strip off heel for it to be D 3.8ish. Hit 10 shots after that on Flightscope and spin was 2400 range so much better. SS was around 108 avg with a couple pokes of 280 carry, but most were 270. Will probably stick it out this season with the V2 76g X-Stiff and then drop some $ on a quality shaft for next year. Thinking a 60 TX which could push me over 110 SS avg.

I have had my g ls for about 5 months and was using a tour x shaft with great accuracy but not getting much carry. Went and got a custom fit for the driver and ended up changing to an aldila nv 2kxv green and picked up about 20 yards or so after my first round with it. and still as accurate as before. Love this club even more now

I recently cheated on my G LS Tour 65s with a 2016 M2 I built with an AD DI 6x. I never really got the total distance or the accuracy I got from the LS out of the M2, but I'd always had trouble maxing out my carry distance out of the LS. It launched low and straight and would roll out a ton but the forced high carries presented problems for me. After the mostly unsuccessful change to the M2 I built an AD DJ 6x at 44.5" for the G LS, which swing-weighted nicely at D3 and got it out for the first time on Saturday. It was just as accurate as the Tour 65s and I was carrying much, much further and still getting a ton of roll. I just did the numbers and with my very average 110 mph club head speed I was averaging 292 with this combo only missed 2 fairways, both of which were small misses, only by a few yards. Feel is improved as well and you can really feel this shaft load and kick through the ball much more than the Tour 65.

I know the AD DJ is mostly considered a fairway shaft, but I've really enjoyed it in this driver after just a couple of range sessions and one round and it accomplished what I was setting out to do which was increase launch and carry. It's still a powerful flight, and not too high, with no indication that it will struggle in the wind as I poked one out there 285 uphill into the breeze on the 18th hole Saturday.

Anyway, G LS still the best driver I've owned bar none. Ping on brothers.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

That the black GP? What do you think about it? I have one that I hit in a sim but I'm hitting my DI so well I don't even want to mess with it.

the 3 wood is the black version. Got fitted for driver and now most accurate club in my bag. Got black for my 3 off the bay and now have complete confidence in it (personally I like the teal color better). Don't know why but the GP fits my swing like avglove. High launch has always been my problem and GP brought me down from 16 launch to 13-14 and gave me another 8 yds avg carry over 65X ping shaft but much more accurate. 3 wood gave me a really tight dispersion.

Tried DI but wasn't the right fit for me. If you're hitting DI good I wouldn't mess w it unless fitter showed you SIG improvement. GD has a shaft for everyone. There not cheap but I'm a recent convert and a big fan. HCP has dropped from 2.6 to 0.3 since fitting in Dec and new Srixon 945s blades has me confident I'll get to + once weather warms up more. 72 on Friday w five 3 putts but my tracks greens ate pretty nasty and some tight driving holes. The G LS AD GP shaft has me consistently in fairway but more importantly always in play. Can't recall last penalty shot off the tee.

Also fitter moved me from 45 1/4 old ping 65 shaft to 44 3/4 w GP and that has helped tremendously. More accurate and longer w shorter shaft. Go figure.

I have had my g ls for about 5 months and was using a tour x shaft with great accuracy but not getting much carry. Went and got a custom fit for the driver and ended up changing to an aldila nv 2kxv green and picked up about 20 yards or so after my first round with it. and still as accurate as before. Love this club even more now

sweet!

I recently cheated on my G LS Tour 65s with a 2016 M2 I built with an AD DI 6x. I never really got the total distance or the accuracy I got from the LS out of the M2, but I'd always had trouble maxing out my carry distance out of the LS. It launched low and straight and would roll out a ton but the forced high carries presented problems for me. After the mostly unsuccessful change to the M2 I built an AD DJ 6x at 44.5" for the G LS, which swing-weighted nicely at D3 and got it out for the first time on Saturday. It was just as accurate as the Tour 65s and I was carrying much, much further and still getting a ton of roll. I just did the numbers and with my very average 110 mph club head speed I was averaging 292 with this combo only missed 2 fairways, both of which were small misses, only by a few yards. Feel is improved as well and you can really feel this shaft load and kick through the ball much more than the Tour 65.

I know the AD DJ is mostly considered a fairway shaft, but I've really enjoyed it in this driver after just a couple of range sessions and one round and it accomplished what I was setting out to do which was increase launch and carry. It's still a powerful flight, and not too high, with no indication that it will struggle in the wind as I poked one out there 285 uphill into the breeze on the 18th hole Saturday.

Anyway, G LS still the best driver I've owned bar none. Ping on brothers.

time to win one of those PA state titles dude! Nice upgrade

I have a big chance to try all the new(er) clubs this weekend outside with multiple vendors. Several years back I gave Ping a go and just could not get along with the feel...but I mean several years ago. Had a decent 917 fitting as well but for some reason all the shaft samples I needed had icy worn grips on them. Hoping Ping will be there and I can get some comparison numbers.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• 3 weeks later...

Got a set of weights for it. Went to the 12 gram. This and my return to playing the fade really brought the ball flight up to a more usable trajectory.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I had the G30 and didn't really care for it. Took a chance on the G and even though Ping didn't change a lot, I love it. Sounds much better which translates into better feel.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Lawson... I know you went from the vault to to the Evenroll... you gotta try a Tyne....

and My GLST was awful sounding... the hosel cracked and Ping sent me a replacement. Sounds better than ANY of my previous G's (SFT, and LST) or my G30's (standard or the SFT)

Feels as good as my Anser.... and that, to me is the gold standard...

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Lawson... I know you went from the vault to to the Evenroll... you gotta try a Tyne....

and My GLST was awful sounding... the hosel cracked and Ping sent me a replacement. Sounds better than ANY of my previous G's (SFT, and LST) or my G30's (standard or the SFT)

Feels as good as my Anser.... and that, to me is the gold standard...

I'll try one if I ever see one.Being a lefty is a curse around these parts. It would take something really special to get my Evnroll out of my bag. Of course I've been known to sell putters after 2 bad rounds of putting. :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Turning 42 this year, got fit for a PING G w/Tour 80 Reg. Lol. Getting old dudes. I played nothing but Titleist clubs for years and the G was a little louder than what I was used to but it was near effortless to hit. Nice and high with not too much spin. I wanted to try the LSTec but ran out of time. Either way, I dont think the LSTec would have made to much of a difference for my game.

Turning 42 this year, got fit for a PING G w/Tour 80 Reg. Lol. Getting old dudes. I played nothing but Titleist clubs for years and the G was a little louder than what I was used to but it was near effortless to hit. Nice and high with not too much spin. I wanted to try the LSTec but ran out of time. Either way, I dont think the LSTec would have made to much of a difference for my game.

It's ok dude...most posts give me a giggle as if we all know each other and will catch crap if we don't hit it 300 every time. I used ping fitting tool I'm at 110 with driver it put me in tour 80S and I have played x and even tx for years with no problem. Tour shafts are stout on average from what I have heard.

edit: figured out answer to my own question

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for a shaft recommendation. I currently play G SF Tec with the Alta regular flex shaft with a 10* head set to 9*. I seemed to be hitting the ball too high at 10* and that is why I lowered it to 9*. I have no idea what my spin numbers are, but I'm hitting the ball for a total distance of around 230, with the occasional 240. I have a slow tempo swing and my swing speed is in the low 90s. I tend to hit a straight ball with the occasional slight fade. I'm wondering if I am maxing out my distance based on my swing speed or if there is another shaft out there that could get me another 10 - 15 yards of distance.