Srixon/Cleveland RTX 4 wedges - 2018

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RTX-4 review: I have played the RTX-3's since they came out and have loved the playability of them, especially around the greens. I have a 50*, 56* (bent to 55*), and 60* in the black finish all 2 dot/mid bounce. They are shafted with a PX 6.0 steel shaft. My carry distance is 50*-110, 55*-95, 60*-75 on full swings. I am putting the RTX-4's into play with the same lofts, bounce, and finish but with the stock DG TI shaft. I am a digger/driver and can take a beaver pelt of a divot while playing if I am not careful, so the V-Sole and bounce are my friend.

Looks: They are sharp. I love the new look of the 4's and the reduced offset is nice, but nothing that jumps out at you (even when holding them together). The stock shaft of the DG Tour Issue shaft is a nice complement and allowed me to flight my shots when needed. The writing and stamping on the head really blends well together and does not look overly busy. The V-Sole seems to be greatly removed/toned-down on my 50* and 60* but the 55* is roughly the same.

Spin: This is where the 4 is going to outshine the 3 all day long, IMO. I loved the spin I got from the 3. I could stop it where I wanted or back it up, but occasionally I would catch one that just spun like crazy or didn't spin as much as I had hoped. Given, I only have 1 round with the 4's in the bag, that was not an issue today. If I needed it to stop, it did. If I expected it to spin a little more or less, it did. Out of the thick rough, you could feel the ball grab the face and really gave me the confidence that I could still control the distance and spin.

Bunker: This is where I will struggle for a bit I think. I am a decent bunker player but I failed to get up and down twice today from easy-ish spots after taking too much sand. I tend to use my 60* out of most bunkers but might practice a bit with my 55* due to the reduction of the sole. It could have just been a bad day from the bunkers though so I will keep working with that.

Full shot: These felt great from the fairway. The 3's I always felt were a little dead off the face. While that I not neccessarily a bad thing, it didn't give the feedback that I could instantly tell it was struck pure or slightly off center. The 4's are a different animal. Again, it could be the shaft change or the head, or a combination of both, but they felt great and really responsive when struck.

Around the green: I only hit a few shots from around the green as I tend to use my PW or 8i and get the ball on the ground most of the time. I did have one shot today from 50yds that I was able to control the flight and spin really well and a few other shots where I was short sided in fringe/rough. You can really feel the ball come off the face with spin, even on short shots. I really like the V sole on my 50 RTX-3 and wish it was the same on the 4's, but I think I can get used to it. I tend to stray away from using my 60 off any tight lie unless I need to so I didn't have that shot today to compare.

Overall: I think people that did not like the RTX-3 will really like this wedge. Likewise, I think that people that liked the RTX-3's will also like this wedge, but maybe not a full set or at least a different bounce/dot configuration from what they are used to. The spin is amazing and they are really easy to flight. The feel might be the best improvement for me on full shots. I have never been one to play a PW outside of the set make up but these will make me think of getting a 46 to match. I can see these making a pretty big splash on the wedge market.

Wow the vsole looks reduced quite a bit on the 4s. Not sure I like that part of it but will see..

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

After my first round with these I can say that I'm really impressed. i have always played high bounce wedges. I don't know if you have heard this or not... but in Seattle.. it rains. Most of the year the ground is really soft. This has led me to play high bounce wedges. However, I really use my wedges around the green and dont take many full shots with anything higher than my gw. After playing around with the xlow, I can say that my Hi Toe might be in trouble. I only used it out of the sand once today, but there wasnt any digging and the wedge made it through just fine. I'll need a lot more practice out of the sand before I'm as comfortable with it as I am with the Hi-Toe though. Around the greens the xlow was excellent. I did a lot of chipping with the 54 and 58. The 54 is the same bounce as my current 54 so not much a difference there. However there seems to be significantly more spin. After reading another review above mine I made sure to throw darts at the pin instead of aiming to have my ball roll out. I'm glad I did. For my higher chips there was barely any run. Spin and trajectory were both easy to manipulate today.

First round honeymoon was fantastic. We'll see if the magic lasts.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

RTX-4 review: I have played the RTX-3's since they came out and have loved the playability of them, especially around the greens. I have a 50*, 56* (bent to 55*), and 60* in the black finish all 2 dot/mid bounce. They are shafted with a PX 6.0 steel shaft. My carry distance is 50*-110, 55*-95, 60*-75 on full swings. I am putting the RTX-4's into play with the same lofts, bounce, and finish but with the stock DG TI shaft. I am a digger/driver and can take a beaver pelt of a divot while playing if I am not careful, so the V-Sole and bounce are my friend.

Looks: They are sharp. I love the new look of the 4's and the reduced offset is nice, but nothing that jumps out at you (even when holding them together). The stock shaft of the DG Tour Issue shaft is a nice complement and allowed me to flight my shots when needed. The writing and stamping on the head really blends well together and does not look overly busy. The V-Sole seems to be greatly removed/toned-down on my 50* and 60* but the 55* is roughly the same.

Spin: This is where the 4 is going to outshine the 3 all day long, IMO. I loved the spin I got from the 3. I could stop it where I wanted or back it up, but occasionally I would catch one that just spun like crazy or didn't spin as much as I had hoped. Given, I only have 1 round with the 4's in the bag, that was not an issue today. If I needed it to stop, it did. If I expected it to spin a little more or less, it did. Out of the thick rough, you could feel the ball grab the face and really gave me the confidence that I could still control the distance and spin.

Bunker: This is where I will struggle for a bit I think. I am a decent bunker player but I failed to get up and down twice today from easy-ish spots after taking too much sand. I tend to use my 60* out of most bunkers but might practice a bit with my 55* due to the reduction of the sole. It could have just been a bad day from the bunkers though so I will keep working with that.

Full shot: These felt great from the fairway. The 3's I always felt were a little dead off the face. While that I not neccessarily a bad thing, it didn't give the feedback that I could instantly tell it was struck pure or slightly off center. The 4's are a different animal. Again, it could be the shaft change or the head, or a combination of both, but they felt great and really responsive when struck.

Around the green: I only hit a few shots from around the green as I tend to use my PW or 8i and get the ball on the ground most of the time. I did have one shot today from 50yds that I was able to control the flight and spin really well and a few other shots where I was short sided in fringe/rough. You can really feel the ball come off the face with spin, even on short shots. I really like the V sole on my 50 RTX-3 and wish it was the same on the 4's, but I think I can get used to it. I tend to stray away from using my 60 off any tight lie unless I need to so I didn't have that shot today to compare.

Overall: I think people that did not like the RTX-3 will really like this wedge. Likewise, I think that people that liked the RTX-3's will also like this wedge, but maybe not a full set or at least a different bounce/dot configuration from what they are used to. The spin is amazing and they are really easy to flight. The feel might be the best improvement for me on full shots. I have never been one to play a PW outside of the set make up but these will make me think of getting a 46 to match. I can see these making a pretty big splash on the wedge market.

Wow the vsole looks reduced quite a bit on the 4s. Not sure I like that part of it but will see..

They are. I am going to have to get used to these for a few shots but I think they will work. I might go higher bounce for my mid wedge and go 50, 58, 60 since I rarely hit full shots with my 55 as it is. That should help with bunker shots or when I need to explode out.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Currently playing the 52/mid, 56/mid, 60/low and have 2.5 rounds on them. I'd agree with everything that's been said so far: superior look (especially at address) than the 3's, s400 feels like a great shaft choice, v-sole is less pronounced in the mid-grind, etc. If you're looking for new wedges, then these are a must try. Personally, I was deciding between the new sm7's or the rtx 4's. Either choice would've been great but I'm very happy with the rtx 4's and the performance I'm getting out of them.

I'm playing in the PNW where fairways and greens can be super firm one weekend then swamp-like the next. As far as choosing bounce/grind options goes, the mid-bounce 52 and 56 did great in both conditions. Extremely versatile as advertised. The low-bounce was great off firm/tight lies and was surprisingly good off soggy damp conditions as well. If you're a halfway decent wedge player, then don't hesitate to give the low-bounce a try. Very easy to open up for little flop shots around the green or close the face for a 50-ish yard pitch.

On a side note, these wedges also blend in nicely with my z765 irons. If you like any of the z irons lineup, then these wedges will appeal to you as well.

Just seen UK specs. Full sole only available on 56/58/60. And S400 as standard shaft? Must have got a job lot off TT. Waaay too stiff and heavy for club players. Bet they will be getting a lot of custom orders for lighter and softer shafts.

S400 is the most popular wedge shaft in the world. It’s also 4-5grams heavier and equal stiffness to a s200/s300. You’ll see more people pleased this is offered stock than not

Custom orders are easy enough too. It’s a great initiative to offer ti s400 stock though

The bounce options make me sad. Higher = better ...

You obviously know your game much better than I, so YMMV. However, I used to play ALL high bounce wedges. I'm really liking the xlow 58*. Don't discount the mids or lows until youve tried them.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

The bounce options make me sad. Higher = better ...

You obviously know your game much better than I, so YMMV. However, I used to play ALL high bounce wedges. I'm really liking the xlow 58*. Don't discount the mids or lows until youve tried them.

Listen, I agree on the 58-60 maybe being a bit low but 3* of bounce is way too low for me. I think my 60 with 6 is a bit too low and I can hit flops all day with that thing. Easier to take bounce off than put it back on ...

Please remove any BST or WTB from this thread. Otherwise it will get shut down.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

Anyone compare the 56* full and mid bounce? I'm torn between which one to go with.

I saw the full range today at a local golf shop. I wasn't able to demo the clubs. Based on the grinds, I'll be buying a 56* Full and bending it to 55*.

any views on ease of use of the full on full swing fairway shots....tempted for sand and rough, but wondering about sole on fairway...

Please remove any BST or WTB from this thread. Otherwise it will get shut down.

Sorry, didn't know. Deleted post.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 🔸🔸🔸 LS 9.0* - Fujikura Ventus Black w/ Velocore 6x

3-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback 13.5* - Accra FX 2.0 300F M5

5-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 X

3-Iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB - Project X 6.5

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 919 Tour - Project X 6.5

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52.09 - Project X 6.5

Taylormade MG3 56.12; Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 60* - Project X 6.0

Putter: Sik Pro Armlock - LAGolf Shaft

Ball: ProV1

Bag: Nike Air Hybrid

Anyone compare the 56* full and mid bounce? I’m torn between which one to go with.

I had a chance to play around with the bounces. On full-swing shots, I didn't really notice a difference. If you were talking about a 50 or 52*, I would say either works. When you're opening club face on shots around the green or on bunker, which I would use my 56* with, I felt ever so slightly that the leading edge looked lower on mid-bounce. Probably a bit psychological and Cleveland marketing efforts working ... but I went with the mid bounce on my 56.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 🔸🔸🔸 LS 9.0* - Fujikura Ventus Black w/ Velocore 6x

3-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback 13.5* - Accra FX 2.0 300F M5

5-Wood: Cobra King F9 Speedback Tour 16.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited Edition 80 X

3-Iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB - Project X 6.5

4-PW: Mizuno JPX 919 Tour - Project X 6.5

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 52.09 - Project X 6.5

Taylormade MG3 56.12; Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 60* - Project X 6.0

Putter: Sik Pro Armlock - LAGolf Shaft

Ball: ProV1

Bag: Nike Air Hybrid

I ordered the 58 low and 52 mid in raw. Can’t wait to get them !

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

any views on ease of use of the full on full swing fairway shots....tempted for sand and rough, but wondering about sole on fairway...

Full shots from a 54/10 mid were outstanding. Heavy mid trajectory ball flight with plenty of spin.

appreciated, but was asking about the Full sole rather than the mid

wondering about the interaction of the new Full sole

thanks