ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

It's good to play in events like this. Also pretty difficult to score when you are trying to change your swing. Keep at it!

Next year the mid am, match play and stroke play are all within driving distance so that will give you something to work towards!

Thanks Ryan! Do you feel the conditions this year were pretty tough? I obviously have nothing to compare it to with this being my first one. Seemed like some better players struggled on Saturday and Sunday.

I'm definitely going to try to play another 1 or 2 next year. Even thought about the 2-man.

For some reason the front 9 beat me up and the back 9 I played much better. A combined +12 on the back. My front 9 Sunday score alone was worse than that!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

It’s good to play in events like this. Also pretty difficult to score when you are trying to change your swing. Keep at it!

Next year the mid am, match play and stroke play are all within driving distance so that will give you something to work towards!

Thanks Ryan! Do you feel the conditions this year were pretty tough? I obviously have nothing to compare it to with this being my first one. Seemed like some better players struggled on Saturday and Sunday.

I'm definitely going to try to play another 1 or 2 next year. Even though about the 2-man.

For some reason the front 9 beat me up and the back 9 I played much better. A combined +12 on the back. My front 9 Sunday score alone was worse than that!

I wouldn’t say it was overly difficult. I’m surprised the greens were as soft as they were. They were quick and I felt tough to read.

Personally I wish it would have played longer. But this is pretty similar setup to past years. I’ve only played in a few of them though.

Saturday and Sunday had more wind and tougher pins.

It’s good to play in events like this. Also pretty difficult to score when you are trying to change your swing. Keep at it!

I'm definitely going to try to play another 1 or 2 next year. Even though about the 2-man.

I wouldn’t say it was overly difficult. I’m surprised the greens were as soft as they were. They were quick and I felt tough to read.

Personally I wish it would have played longer. But this is pretty similar setup to past years. I’ve only played in a few of them though.

Saturday and Sunday had more wind and tougher pins.

I was expecting longer too, and I'm not exactly hitting it long right now. #17 into the wind was the toughest for me.

Agree there were some tough roads. #1 on Sunday sticks out. Everyone in our group read break that wasn't there.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Work on your set up. Ball position off your logo on your shirt and armpit for your driver. Ball position measured off your body not width of stance. Will feel like it's WAY FORWARD. Hit 80 yd 7i and 130 yd 5 hybrids tons of them. Should help your rotation to get to the ball. One intent I'm using from Monte is the shoulders feel very flat coming down. I'm a range rat hitting the above shots working on rotation and a controlled balance finish till the ball descends.

Work on your set up. Ball position off your logo on your shirt and armpit for your driver. Ball position measured off your body not width of stance. Will feel like it's WAY FORWARD. Hit 80 yd 7i and 130 yd 5 hybrids tons of them. Should help your rotation to get to the ball. One intent I'm using from Monte is the shoulders feel very flat coming down. I'm a range rat hitting the above shots working on rotation and a controlled balance finish till the ball descends.

Thanks! The rotation is definitely still the part I'm struggling with the most. I can work on it slow motion or with a mirror/reflection and see I'm getting it but implementing it even in slow swings proves difficult.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks! The rotation is definitely still the part I'm struggling with the most. I can work on it slow motion or with a mirror/reflection and see I'm getting it but implementing it even in slow swings proves difficult.

It's a different feel and it will take tons of balls. That flat feeling of your shoulders gets the RT shoulder moving out instead of down. Last instagram of Monte's client may help. I'm going to try that today. Key is the above i mentioned. Short swings to get the feeling and it takes work and it's not fun cause results are not immediate.

It's a different feel and it will take tons of balls. That flat feeling of your shoulders gets the RT shoulder moving out instead of down. Last instagram of Monte's client may help. I'm going to try that today. Key is the above i mentioned. Short swings to get the feeling and it takes work and it's not fun cause results are not immediate.

I did see that IG video, and was hoping to practice some again yesterday but a deluge of rain closed the driving range by my house. I can certainly attest that results are not immediate! Been working on things for about 2 months now since Monte's clinic here in Sioux Falls.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I did see that IG video, and was hoping to practice some again yesterday but a deluge of rain closed the driving range by my house. I can certainly attest that results are not immediate! Been working on things for about 2 months now since Monte's clinic here in Sioux Falls.

Did try the IG video today and didn't work for me. Been working for 5 yrs on Monte's video's. What started it all was plane and release by feel. 5 yrs later i like shoulder turn angles especially from the 3:25 mark.

1 step forward, 2 steps back...

Had another really crappy round last night in match play league. +8 over 9 holes, with a birdie... Only had a small handful of decent to good shots and my short game sucked. To be fair the greens were horrible - really slow from being wet here lately and bumpy - so didn't make many putts.

Hit quite a few hooks and thinned shots. Just feels like I don't even know what I am doing in my swing. Can't tell what feels right vs what feels wrong. I felt like I had a good warm up session on the range, hitting nice controlled shots.

Oh well, hopefully get in a practice session today or tomorrow. Going to switch it up and instead of posting full swings, I'm going to try to get some video of doing left arm parallel swings.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Made it to the range last night after work, and tried to get some better results. But even when working slower swings and trying to do the things I need to do I cannot get it right. Seems like no matter what I am trying I cannot get the right elbow forward and I am still stalling and flipping at it.

I'm a bit down on myself that I can't seem to figure this out, and it's really had me not looking forward to golf lately. Probably a combination of poor play and my inability to make an meaningful/visible changes. Monte pointed out a couple things and how I can work on it. So hopefully my next couple of practice sessions are more productive. Looking at these swings tells me my practice likely hasn't been moving me in the right direction to stop the flip. I can say the backswing has shortened a bit and right hand grip is better but still not always as strong as it should be. Still a problem with subconsciously re-gripping...

I'm guessing I'll need to make a lot of really slow motion, exaggerated rehearsals to get the feel, and make even slower swings when trying to implement because clearly I am not getting the feeling of how to correctly do things right now.

Here are a couple of swings trying to work on slower punch swings.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

You need to stop evaluating yourself daily and after every round. Monte says repeatedly in his clinics that improvement isn't linear, and you can't grade your shots pass/fail. The goal is to get more A and B shots, over time, than C,D,F ones. He also says the Tour pros take 12-18 months to ingrain a swing change. It's been 2 months - you're just getting started. Give yourself a break.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

You need to stop evaluating yourself daily and after every round. Monte says repeatedly in his clinics that improvement isn't linear, and you can't grade your shots pass/fail. The goal is to get more A and B shots, over time, than C,D,F ones. He also says the Tour pros take 12-18 months to ingrain a swing change. It's been 2 months - you're just getting started. Give yourself a break.

I know, it's a marathon not a sprint. I'm not looking at individual shots here and assigning them any grades, etc. I know bad swings are going to happen when old habits mix with new intentions. I've had plenty of bad results in rounds over the last month, and I'm doing my best to give myself permission to hit bad shots when working on things. I'm merely speaking to an inability to incorporate a feel or movement into slow speed swings when practicing. It's frustrating when you know what you need to do, and you cannot get yourself to do it even at slow speeds. That's what has me down and feeling a bit lost.

I'm definitely approaching this with the thought/hope that I might start seeing some real progress by the time next season starts here which would be around the 10 month mark from the clinic. Winter sucks here, so I'll be doing a lot of indoor work. Hoping to get a mat and a net setup in the garage.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I'm out of synch too. Went back to an old intent to start the DS. Separate your left shoulder from your chin to start your DS. This will make you forget about your arms and once you separate your shoulder from your chin you just pivot. I think your pivot looks good just something is out of synch and i bet it's somewhere in your set up posture. Wish Monte would chime in.

I'm out of synch too. Went back to an old intent to start the DS. Separate your left shoulder from your chin to start your DS. This will make you forget about your arms and once you separate your shoulder from your chin you just pivot. I think your pivot looks good just something is out of synch and i bet it's somewhere in your set up posture. Wish Monte would chime in.

He's seen the swings and identified the issues. I'll let him speak to it here if he chooses to.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My $.02:

Your "punch" swing needs to become your full swing. That backswing length is plenty long enough to hit a full shot. You're going to keep having a hard time syncing up and getting your right elbow forward if you have arm overrun and a backswing that's too long. You can't accelerate your arms fast enough from that long position, so you're forced to flip at it.

Take the advice from the clinic and hit your 7 iron 100 yards. I mean it. That's how I start every single practice session or pre round warmup. That's how I shortened my swing dramatically and drastically improved. You need to get your arms and your pivot in sync and it won't happen until you shorten your backswing. Only then can you get the right elbow/arm forward.

Otherwise, you're trying to put the cart before the horse.

He has to either create some knee separation in transition or get the right elbow moving forward sooner. The first pretty much has to happen and the second will likely improve if the first improves his pivot enough.

Backswing definitely needs to be shorter. Hitting a bajillion of these “punch” swings while improving leg/knee work in transition is a good start.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

My $.02:

Your "punch" swing needs to become your full swing. That backswing length is plenty long enough to hit a full shot. You're going to keep having a hard time syncing up and getting your right elbow forward if you have arm overrun and a backswing that's too long. You can't accelerate your arms fast enough from that long position, so you're forced to flip at it.

Take the advice from the clinic and hit your 7 iron 100 yards. I mean it. That's how I start every single practice session or pre round warmup. That's how I shortened my swing dramatically and drastically improved. You need to get your arms and your pivot in sync and it won't happen until you shorten your backswing. Only then can you get the right elbow/arm forward.

Otherwise, you're trying to put the cart before the horse.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

It's not lost on me that these "punch" swings are pretty much proper full backswing length. Compared to my normal, way too long backswing it feels (feel vs real has always been a struggle for me) very short. If I didn't have video I would be convinced I'm not getting to left arm parallel based on feeling alone.

The last swings I posted were around 100 yard shots with the 8 iron. But clearly that was accomplished more by reduced swing speed and not a left arm parallel backswing.

I have been hitting a lot of the 100 yard 7/8 iron shots, and spend most of every practice session doing them.

I obviously just haven't shortened enough. In addition, as Monte points out, the leg work also needs a lot of improvement. So, despite a lot of attempts, I probably haven't got the intents working on those as well as I could've.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

He has to either create some knee separation in transition or get the right elbow moving forward sooner. The first pretty much has to happen and the second will likely improve if the first improves his pivot enough.

Backswing definitely needs to be shorter. Hitting a bajillion of these “punch” swings while improving leg/knee work in transition is a good start.

Would the drop the basket drill help in getting the feeling for knee separation?

I started thinking about when I was swinging probably my best around 8-9 years ago and I remember having a little squat feeling in my downswing, and almost a bit of an "up" feeling with the pelvis into impact.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 weeks later...

The delivery man finally came and brought me some fresh wedges. I realized this is the 2nd full year I've had my Mizuno T5's and was probably due for new ones. Thanks to a sale and promo code I picked these up for less $72 each. I went higher bounce in the 58 (12 degrees v 8 degrees on my previous) so hopefully that will help in the sand but also not hurt me much for open face a shots.

Will have to work on getting the green & yellow paint fill done this winter. I wish mizuno would've continued with the black wedges instead of the ion blue as an option... that color was too much so I stuck with satin.

NrzolYT.jpg

5pjGLye.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a quick update on where the game is at:

1. The stronger grip, especially the right hand is finally starting to feel comfortable and a bit more natural. I still hit the occasional big hook because I get the grip set right but my old flip move shows happens in the downswing. But for the most part, I'm to the point where I feel like I can just swing and I'm not holding onto the club for dear life to keep it from going left.
  2. I feel like I've got the back swing shortened up, but probably still needs to be a little shorter. I've had a lot of swings lately that feel really sync'd up and effortless.
  3. Shots are starting more on line and moving less, I'm even hitting a push occasionally!

1. I know most would wonder why I get excited about hitting a push, but I haven't been able to hit a shot that starts out to the right of my line in probably forever. That tells me my path is much better than before.

Some recent results:

Match Play League 9/5 - 38 (+3)

18 hole Round 9/8 - 85 (+15)

Match Play League 9/12 - 36 (+1)

What's been different, especially with the 85 shot last weekend is that it has been my short game hasn't been anywhere near the level it was. on 9/8 for the front nine I had 19 putts and plenty of poor chips and pitches. I think I was +9 or +10 on the front, with zero penalty strokes. Turned it around on the back, in +5 or +6 but still wasn't making any putts or getting it up and down when normally I would.

Overall though I am getting really excited with my long game and I just need to get over the short game slump. I plan to capture a couple of updated swing videos to post in the next day or two.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got some updated swings filmed. I've been striking the ball better recently, so I am feeling pretty good about the direction things are moving. Hitting very few pulls and the miss now is more of an overdraw. Definitely seeing some small improvements but still having a hard time getting that right elbow forward and not flipping.

• Backswing is getting shorter, but still not as short as it needs to be. Still extending and flattening out shoulder turn a little. I feel like I am swinging a lot more upright than what the video shows, am I perhaps getting to flat on the downswing?
  • I don't like how after I address the ball I am straightening my legs/standing up a little. Also, there's still a slight sway off the ball instead of rotating.
  • Right hand grip still probably isn't as strong as it could be, I still have a hard time with how it feels when the right hand is more under the grip.
  • And obviously still stalling and flipping

Would love to hear any thoughts on how things are looking, thanks!

7i DTL

7i FO

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Here's the sway I really don't like. This was surprising to see as I feel like I'm really working towards target. Need to fix that.

dYJqQ5l.jpghgbYU8A.jpg

And here's the bit of squat I'm seeing transition. Is there anything wrong with that move?

Red line is pretty much were my head was at address.

54UUDf1.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Saw my GHIN revision came in today @ 8.0, which was helped out a lot by recent scores. I unfortunately haven't played in 2 weeks due to weather.

I'm happy to be trending down again, and almost to where my low was at the start of the year. I feel like the changes Monte recommend are slowly sinking in. Sadly, we're running out of golf season here in the upper midwest and it sounds like the long term forecast this month is below average temps and wet. I'm still hopeful I'll get a handful of rounds in before shutting it down.

One thing I'm starting to notice, is that I tend to score much better in our 9 hole match play league rounds (mostly all the 'C' rounds are league) than I do in normal play, and especially better than 18 hole rounds. I'm not sure what the cause there might be, as I don't feel gassed toward the 2nd of 18 hole rounds.

isyPpGv.jpg

nHjj1JA.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I finally got some updated swings filmed. I've been striking the ball better recently, so I am feeling pretty good about the direction things are moving. Hitting very few pulls and the miss now is more of an overdraw. Definitely seeing some small improvements but still having a hard time getting that right elbow forward and not flipping.

• Backswing is getting shorter, but still not as short as it needs to be. Still extending and flattening out shoulder turn a little. I feel like I am swinging a lot more upright than what the video shows, am I perhaps getting to flat on the downswing?
  • I don't like how after I address the ball I am straightening my legs/standing up a little. Also, there's still a slight sway off the ball instead of rotating.
  • Right hand grip still probably isn't as strong as it could be, I still have a hard time with how it feels when the right hand is more under the grip.
  • And obviously still stalling and flipping

Would love to hear any thoughts on how things are looking, thanks!

7i DTL

[media=]

[/media]

7i FO

[media=]

[/media]

Looks like the swing is coming along - keep up the good work.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Got in a round today, despite the weather being a little rough. Needless to say, it was an odd round. Considering the weather - low 50s and windy - I'm happy enough with the score of 81 I posted.

There are two sides to this story, with the first being that my long game was pretty solid. Aside from an early driver pull draw into a hazard on the 2nd hole, my full swings were mostly good. On the other hand my short game was shite. 37 putts!!! Yes that's right, 37 and if I count two putts from the fringe it's 39 putts! Not only did I rarely chip or pitch it close, I also missed a lot of short putts. I hadn't played in 3 weeks but that putting was absolutely atrocious. Couldn't get comfortable in my setup, was hitting a lot of putts off the toe, and just couldn't get aligned & aimed to save my life.

I'm happy with the progress I'm making in the long game, and especially with a number of wind shots today. Yet, it was definitely a "what could've been" round. With my 'B' short game that round would've been a 75.

I guess I've got more work to do on getting my putting solid.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 1 month later...

Not swing related, but with the weather being mostly crap I finally finished off the paint fill for my new wedges. I think they turned out nicely.

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

The dark green paint can be hard to see in photos, I may try a clear green acrylic next time around.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Not swing related, but with the weather being mostly crap I finally finished off the paint fill for my new wedges. I think they turned out nicely.

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

The dark green paint can be hard to see in photos, I may try a clear green acrylic next time around.

How you liking those wedges?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

I really like them, very similar feel and look to the T5's I had before. It's taken a little while to get used to the higher bounce on the 58 (was 8° In my old, now 12°)

The satin finish is nice, although I probably would have gotten the black finish if they would've offered it again.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

I really like them, very similar feel and look to the T5's I had before. It's taken a little while to get used to the higher bounce on the 58 (was 8° In my old, now 12°)

The satin finish is nice, although I probably would have gotten the black finish if they would've offered it again.

I like that satin look, looks really nice.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black