2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Lpga Q school

mallrat

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fields in golf just keep getting deeper. >100-degree temps and under pressure, it took +6 after four rounds just to make it to Stage II.

Good on the ladies from Shotmakers for giving it a go. Hailey Ostrom and trick shot artist Tania Tare got to play 54 holes and earned limited Symetra Tour status, so that's something.

Another name I recognized from Instagram didn't make it to day two, carding a 90 and falling victim to the 88 rule (as in, if you shoot 88 you're out).

The top 100 (and ties) move on to Stage II. That puts the cut at +6. I must say, that's some excellent golf for four rounds in the desert heat.

Carly missed the cut, but will have a 2019 Symetra Tour status having completed 54 holes.

How many starts is Carly likely to get on the Symetra in 2019? Seems like she is just trying to get more places to play considering the lack of events on the LET.

Carly won't play Symetra. She makes more money off the course through sponsorship that many players on the LPGA. No need to. She has a great lifestyle and gets to travel the world. She has been in Australia, Africa, US, UK and Europe last season, and seems to love life.

Seems odd that she would try to qualify if she doesn't need too. She's a professional golfer she wants to play golf, the LET isn't giving her many tournaments at the moment.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

The top 100 (and ties) move on to Stage II. That puts the cut at +6. I must say, that's some excellent golf for four rounds in the desert heat.

Carly missed the cut, but will have a 2019 Symetra Tour status having completed 54 holes.

What do they mean by completing 54 holes?

Stage I is a 72 hole event, but they have a cut after the 3rd round. 146 players made the cut, and played on Sunday. 186 players were cut after 3 rounds.

That is a big field. Apologize as I didn’t open the link, but where are they playing this?

Stage I is a 72 hole event, but they have a cut after the 3rd round. 146 players made the cut, and played on Sunday. 186 players were cut after 3 rounds.

That is a big field. Apologize as I didn’t open the link, but where are they playing this?

It was held at Mission Hills CC in Rancho Mirage, the same same club that hosts the ANA. The played on three courses, The Palmer and Dinah Shore at Mission Hills, and the Shadow Ridge GC in Palm Desert. I believe the players rotated through the three courses for the first three rounds, similar to how the AT&T Pro Am is structured at Pebble, and then the cut was made.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

It was held at Mission Hills CC in Rancho Mirage, the same same club that hosts the ANA. The played on three courses, The Palmer and Dinah Shore at Mission Hills, and the Shadow Ridge GC in Palm Desert. I believe the players rotated through the three courses for the first three rounds, similar to how the AT&T Pro Am is structured at Pebble, and then the cut was made.

Thanks Argonne, suspected it was something (and somewhere) like that. I’m with someone who said it earlier, but I find it really odd that they schedule this in Palm Springs in August.

Thanks Argonne, suspected it was something (and somewhere) like that. I’m with someone who said it earlier, but I find it really odd that they schedule this in Palm Springs in August.

Yeah, odd choice. It does appear that they were given carts, though. Another oddity.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Yeah, odd choice. It does appear that they were given carts, though. Another oddity.

Maybe they have a good relationship with the resort and wanted to have it there. And the only way to make it happen was do it at this time?

Maybe they have a good relationship with the resort and wanted to have it there. And the only way to make it happen was do it at this time?

The first stage is generally held in August each year, so I'm not sure if there's ever a good time to hold it in the desert. That said, 70% of the country is having some type of heat advisory, so practically anywhere else wouldn't have been a picnic, either. I guess it's a bit like boot camp. If a player wants to earn their card, they have to suck it up and pass the physical and mental test of playing four rounds in the desert heat.

This thing is a cash cow for the LPGA. A player entering Stage I and making it through Q School will have played 16 rounds of golf, and payed $5,500. On top of that there's 16+ days of lodging, and the travel to Rancho Mirage, Venice, Fl, and Pinehurst, NC.

The first stage is generally held in August each year, so I'm not sure if there's ever a good time to hold it in the desert. That said, 70% of the country is having some type of heat advisory, so practically anywhere else wouldn't have been a picnic, either. I guess it's a bit like boot camp. If a player wants to earn their card, they have to suck it up and pass the physical and mental test of playing four rounds in the desert heat.

This thing is a cash cow for the LPGA. A player entering Stage I and making it through Q School will have played 16 rounds of golf, and payed $5,500. On top of that there's 16+ days of lodging, and the travel to Rancho Mirage, Venice, Fl, and Pinehurst, NC.

Someone who makes it through spends what, $10k?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

That's probably a good estimate. By comparison, the median player on the Symetra Tour earned a season total of $6,646 in 2017. That's a lot of money spent for little return. A player simply must be good enough to make the LPGA Tour to have any chance of making a living playing golf.

That's probably a good estimate. By comparison, the median player on the Symetra Tour earned a season total of $6,646 in 2017. That's a lot of money spent for little return. A player simply must be good enough to make the LPGA Tour to have any chance of making a living playing golf.

How do so many get by not getting to the LPGA Tour? I guess you can only try for so long before you run out of money.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Please do

Because the big tour in the world is the LPGA. She can get on it by winning a major, Monday qualifying and winning an event, or getting through q school. I'm sure there are a couple other ways but those are the biggies a Euro tour player could take.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

How do so many get by not getting to the LPGA Tour? I guess you can only try for so long before you run out of money.

That's the $10,000 question so to speak. I have to assume that many of the women having loving parents with deep pockets. Some players can cut expenses by staying with sponsors, but the travel alone, not to mention coaching and practice time, can't be cheap.

There are players that have been grinding it out on the ST for years. Shannon Fish has been on the ST since 2012, and has earned $85 in those 7 years. Stephanie Na has earned $67k in 9 seasons. Ouch. 'Takes dedication, and a firm belief that they can make it to the big leagues.

That's the $10,000 question so to speak. I have to assume that many of the women having loving parents with deep pockets. Some players can cut expenses by staying with sponsors, but the travel alone, not to mention coaching and practice time, can't be cheap.

There are players that have been grinding it out on the ST for years. Shannon Fish has been on the ST since 2012, and has earned $85 in those 7 years. Stephanie Na has earned $67k in 9 seasons. Ouch. 'Takes dedication, and a firm belief that they can make it to the big leagues.

Well it tough for the girls, that's for sure!

Web.com #1 on the money list is Sungjae Im and has made $534,326 in 2018, on the other side the #1 on the money list on the Symetra Tour is Dottie Ardina and has made $69,453 in 2018. That almost a 10:1 difference ..... Yikes ( I understand performance can effect the difference but not that much)

Okay, had to look it up and see if Shannon Fish had really won only $85 in 7 years ;)

Okay, had to look it up and see if Shannon Fish had really won only $85 in 7 years ;)

I think Argonne missed the "k". I remember her from the greatest show of all time , Big Break. She stood up to the former Minnesota Vikings, Chris Doleman when he tried to bully her.

I think Argonne missed the "k". I remember her from the greatest show of all time , Big Break. She stood up to the former Minnesota Vikings, Chris Doleman when he tried to bully her.

Always a fan of any golfer who went to THE University of Texas!

I did some math last year and estimated the LPGA made $1.7mil in entry fees across the 3 stages. Q schools are as much business as pathways. That said, unless you avg 71-71.5, you aren't making it through third stage so many players pony up money when they aren't remotely close to the necessary standard at the time of entering so it's as much on the players as the LPGA. It's the ultimate gambling tool. Did you know last year, of the girls who entered first stage, only 2 received a full card at third stage out of the 20 full cards available. When you quantify that, it's mind boggling the odds.

So unless you can get close to that avg, you are best honing your game on another lesser tour or hoping to get symmetra status so you can improve your game in coming years.

I did some math last year and estimated the LPGA made $1.7mil in entry fees across the 3 stages. Q schools are as much business as pathways. That said, unless you avg 71-71.5, you aren't making it through third stage so many players pony up money when they aren't remotely close to the necessary standard at the time of entering so it's as much on the players as the LPGA. It's the ultimate gambling tool. Did you know last year, of the girls who entered first stage, only 2 received a full card at third stage out of the 20 full cards available. When you quantify that, it's mind boggling the odds.

So unless you can get close to that avg, you are best honing your game on another lesser tour or hoping to get symmetra status so you can improve your game in coming years.

Great point about scoring average. For the ones who don't shoot under par regularly, there's some serious self-delusion going on to think that playing under those conditions would produce better than average scores!

Now, if the intention going in is just to gain Symetra Tour status and anything better being a bonus, I can see a reason for someone without a great scoring average to take their shot at Q-School.

Great point about scoring average. For the ones who don't shoot under par regularly, there's some serious self-delusion going on to think that playing under those conditions would produce better than average scores!

Now, if the intention going in is just to gain Symetra Tour status and anything better being a bonus, I can see a reason for someone without a great scoring average to take their shot at Q-School.

Yep, and that avg will just get you through q school based on the last 5 years, then there is the matter of keeping your card and performing early in your first year to avoid dropping spots in the reshuffle.

If you can take that avg on to the tour then you'll make more money than your expenses, but often as we see there is a leap between getting your card and retaining it.

Really, you shouldn't be going unless your capable of throwing down 10-16 under over 4 rounds prior to going to q school because the goal shouldn't be just to keep your card, but to be competitive out there otherwise you'll burn cash and get eaten up. Now that's okay if you have the finances and time to learn, but for those who don't, it's a big gamble.

I'm not trying to be a dream killer, I'm all for chasing them, but as a player I look at this with a business sense too, and part of that is how do I make it viable financially to sustain a long playing career, and you need to know what you're up for to be successful playing standard wise, at least that's how I look at it.

Symmetra is a great fallback for those not ready, but even then, there's only a handful making more than they spend, and top 10 year on year at seasons end you need to have a similar avg to those q school numbers otherwise you're going broke or losing ground

Yep, and that avg will just get you through q school based on the last 5 years, then there is the matter of keeping your card and performing early in your first year to avoid dropping spots in the reshuffle.

If you can take that avg on to the tour then you'll make more money than your expenses, but often as we see there is a leap between getting your card and retaining it.

Really, you shouldn't be going unless your capable of throwing down 10-16 under over 4 rounds prior to going to q school because the goal shouldn't be just to keep your card, but to be competitive out there otherwise you'll burn cash and get eaten up. Now that's okay if you have the finances and time to learn, but for those who don't, it's a big gamble.

I'm not trying to be a dream killer, I'm all for chasing them, but as a player I look at this with a business sense too, and part of that is how do I make it viable financially to sustain a long playing career, and you need to know what you're up for to be successful playing standard wise, at least that's how I look at it.

Symmetra is a great fallback for those not ready, but even then, there's only a handful making more than they spend, and top 10 year on year at seasons end you need to have a similar avg to those q school numbers otherwise you're going broke or losing ground

On the business side, I'm sure the LPGA isn't unhappy that so many entrants come unprepared because their money is as green as the ones with a real chance.

That being said, truly having the skills to compete at the highest level should be a prerequisite for signing up for Q-School, like being able to shoot way under par on "easy" tracks.

It's no cakewalk even for Symetra Tour grads. Nanna Koerstz-Madsen played for Denmark in the Rio Olympics, won three times on the Symetra Tour last year, and got a battlefield promotion to the LPGA Tour. Her scoring average is 72.09, she's 97th in CME Globe points, and needs some good finishes to secure her card for next year.

On the business side, I'm sure the LPGA isn't unhappy that so many entrants come unprepared because their money is as green as the ones with a real chance.

That being said, truly having the skills to compete at the highest level should be a prerequisite for signing up for Q-School, like being able to shoot way under par on "easy" tracks.

It's no cakewalk even for Symetra Tour grads. Nanna Koerstz-Madsen played for Denmark in the Rio Olympics, won three times on the Symetra Tour last year, and got a battlefield promotion to the LPGA Tour. Her scoring average is 72.09, she's 97th in CME Globe points, and needs some good finishes to secure her card for next year.

Exactly, as has been previously pointed out, it's a cash cow, I hope/wish some of that could be channeled in to bigger symmetra purses to make the player option a little more sustainable, because often the players are propping up a huge part of the purses their each week through entry fees.

If you were applying for a job, you need to be able to address the essential criteria, and have demonstrated history of experience. Golf is no different, if you don't have a proven scoring average that will make you competitive, what makes you think you'll catch lightning in a bottle over 3 stages, 7 courses, different grass and weather conditions, months apart with increasing quality at each stage in a pressure packed environment. The new final stage format whilst unproven I'm sure will result in the best players LPGA ready getting through. Because it's easy to play well for 1-2 rounds, but over a cumulated 8 rounds over 2 diff courses from final stage, the cream should rise to the top.

I take it those last couple posters don't believe Romo should have been allowed to try PGA Tour q school?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I take it those last couple posters don't believe Romo should have been allowed to try PGA Tour q school?

If a player meets the eligibility criteria set out by the organising tour then no problems at all, go for it, do as you please. Pony up your money and give it a crack if that's what you want to do. I'm not saying don't chase your dreams, I'm saying too many players go to tour schools far short of the playing standard required to advance through several stages, let alone be capable of getting your card. The playing standard or handicap criteria is far too loose for so many q schools, in order to attract revenue/additional entries from aspiring players with bad probabilities of advancement based on playing record.

The LPGA criteria is a handicap of 4.0, and if you have a handicap of 4.0, youre raw,true scoring average on tournament setup courses is closer to 80-82. With respect to those in that situation, you aren't getting your card or through first stage

On the contrary! I love to see these moonlighting athletes get exposed in tournament conditions because it puts the skill level of the actual pros in context for the home viewer who only knows other sports.

If they've got a legit handicap and want to try, they can be the dead money in the tournament. As @ausgolfgirl said in an earlier post, it's easy to play well for 1-2 rounds. In my opinion that doesn't mean these people shouldn't take a shot at it.

John Smoltz qualifying for the the US Senior Open was very impressive. Steph Curry's good round at the Web.com event earlier this year was impressive too. Romo squeaking by in a pre-qualifier is great.

• 3 weeks later...