What Wilson Staff wedge is worth a buttload?

dcopp7

I’ve been playing with a refurbished set of 76 Staff blades. I really like the pitch and sand. The sand wedge is excellent out of the sand. You can’t quite lay it open and make a full cut, but it’s sure-out otherwise.

I don’t think any of them are worth a “butt-load” though.

Dcopp-

Gene Sarazen's Original Wilson Sand Wedge. Period.

Do you have a Wilson Staff Dynapower wedge which might be worth a lot? What condition is it in?

The 1958 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge was long considered the best within the 3 year period of 1957, 1958, and 1959 in which the Wilson wedges were considered the gold standard among Utility clubs.

A number of players had Wilson Staff Wedges in their bags. Some notably weren't even Wilson Staffers.

One notable shot- Tom Watson's chip in on the 71st hole at the 1982 US Open at Pebble Beach. (beat Jack Nicklaus.)

Though Watson had a Ram Staff bag, the club used was a 1960 W/S Dynapower Sand Wedge that supposedly is on display at the Greenbrier Resort.

Watson said on a Televised Tour Event that got the wedge from David Graham, the 1981 US Open Champion.

As for another reason why, please check the viral photo of Arnold Palmer working on his 1958 Wilson Staff Wedge.

Texsport has posted photos of his Wilson Staff Dynapowers- Original and remake.

Here's a photo of a 1957 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge.

PS- The sleeper wedges from this era are the 1958 and 1959 Walter Hagen Ultra-Powered wedges.

*Flash* JoAnn Carners Wilson R-90 Wedge was considered Non-Conforming by the USGA, so....

I'm currently using a vintage Dynapowered SW with the arrow and the Fluid Feel markings.

Couldn't say what year it was issued.

Also have a JP II 55, and a Mendralla Staff III 60.

Values ? no idea.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Was it the grind or the steel used in these wedges that elevated them into rare air?

Are they still relevant today & does any manufacturer offer something similar or a dead-nuts copy?

Interested as I've been playing various iterations of the Wilson FG Tour wedges for many years.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

The '57- '60 + many custom DynaPower SW produced later have about 56-58* of loft, a lot of bounce, significant leading edge progression, a full heel, and high swing weights.

They were designed to hit explosion shots.

Today's wedges are practically all multi-purpose clubs - ground frequently to pick shots clean around the greens.

I remember following Arnold Palmer around during a private country club exhibition during the 1960s. He had no lob wedge - only a Wilson DynaPowered SW in his bag. While never in the sand, he hit 2 or 3 explosion type shots from the rough around the greens with it. Got it up and down every time and shot 67.

I used and collected those wedges for many years. I have about 10 of them made for Tour players - also a couple of other brands that are copies of DynaPowers made for Tour players.

With the advent of custom grind lob wedges, I don't know why everyone doesn't carry a DynaPower style SW for bunkers and rough shots around the greens.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Was it the grind or the steel used in these wedges that elevated them into rare air?

Are they still relevant today & does any manufacturer offer something similar or a dead-nuts copy?

Interested as I've been playing various iterations of the Wilson FG Tour wedges for many years.

Thanks in advance.

Yep the older Cleveland 588s are a direct copy---- The 588 even had a meaning the 56* was 58 as in 1958 Staff and the other 8 ment 8* of bounce thus the designation 588.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

p3-

Texsport has more than common knowledge about the 1958 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge.

There was a photo of Arnold Palmer working on a Wilson Dynapower Sand Wedge which made the rounds.

Sadly, Wilson Golf closed public access to their Custom Department records in 2014.

By the way, if you ever find a 1958 Walter Hagen "Ultra-Powered" Sand Wedge (or 11 iron)...

You have the Staff Dyna-Powered Sand Wedge's very rare cousin.

Good Luck.

Yep the older Cleveland 588s are a direct copy---- The 588 even had a meaning the 56* was 58 as in 1958 Staff and the other 8 ment 8* of bounce thus the designation 588.

Ah I always thought the 588 meant the month and year it was designed, May 1988. 900, September 2000.

Closer. 5th generaton wedge, debuted in 1988

• Like 1

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

Ah I always thought the 588 meant the month and year it was designed, May 1988. 900, September 2000.

That was my understanding as well, though I'd also heard it said the "5" was a project number within that year.

Might be interesting to check some info on when the 485's were introduced. :)

Closer. 5th generaton wedge, debuted in 1988

I think I'd like to change my first answer LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I never heard of much love for the '62-'63 Turfrider pitching wedge which I found surprising given the Staff members allegedly behind it's design. (Snead, Boros, Middlecoff etc)

Stix-

You can include one Mickey Wright to your list.

Her set of Wilson Staffs with the Turfrider Sole (and Bullseye putter) is displayed at the USGA Museum Golf House in NJ.

The '57- '60 + many custom DynaPower SW produced later have about 56-58* of loft, a lot of bounce, significant leading edge progression, a full heel, and high swing weights.

Today's wedges are practically all multi-purpose clubs - ground frequently to pick shots clean around the greens.

I remember following Arnold Palmer around during a private country club exhibition during the 1960s. He had no lob wedge - only a Wilson DynaPowered SW in his bag. While never in the sand, he hit 2 or 3 explosion type shots from the rough around the greens with it. Got it up and down every time and shot 67.

I used and collected those wedges for many years. I have about 10 of them made for Tour players - also a couple of other brands that are copies of DynaPowers made for Tour players.

With the advent of custom grind lob wedges, I don't know why everyone doesn't carry a DynaPower style SW for bunkers and rough shots around the greens.

Texsport

I think this is a great point. So many of the absolutely classic sand wedges, from the first R90s through to even the Eye 2, were not THAT versatile. I still love the old Hogan Specials, but I'm finding it a benefit to carry an early, low bounce, Vokey 60 alongside it. Before the manufacturers went grind crazy, you saw the same pattern in lots of lines - the first Vokeys, Cleveland 588s and Rams, of a sand wedge with lots of bounce and a lobber with much less.

Today’s wedges are very different than the persimmon era. Many tour players carried only one wedge (Lew Worsham,)some played prior to Sarazen inventing the sand iron and could adapt niblick technique ,Four Woods,nine irons,and a putter was the norm. I think Trevino won a tournament with 13 clubs in his bag. I recall Hogan switching a 1 iron for a 7 iron usin the logic “There are no seven iron shots on this golf course”

Bounce and loft combinations are sold today. In prior times, the home pro could adjust a club. Today, that is not the norm

CHARLEY PENNA

I never heard of much love for the '62-'63 Turfrider pitching wedge which I found surprising given the Staff members allegedly behind it's design. (Snead, Boros, Middlecoff etc)

Stix-

You can include one Mickey Wright to your list.

Her set of Wilson Staffs with the Turfrider Sole (and Bullseye putter) is displayed at the USGA Museum Golf House in NJ.

Thanks, Rex. I knew she was a big fan of the Turfriders but I didn't know she was involved with the design like the others.

Personally, I think the Turfrider pitching wedge is a great club but I never heard other than the Dyna Powered clubs you referenced as being classic/ timeless wedge masterpieces.

Major champions who played a DynaPowered SW would include - Palmer, Trevino, T. Watson, Floyd, Irwin, and Crenshaw, among others .

Ben Crenshaw played different brands of irons but frequently had a DynaPower copy in his bag. Dave Wood once told me, "Ben was all about the DynaPower SW, and he hit pitches with it also, with the club soled on the toe and the heel off the ground."

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I have a '58 DynaPower SW that I got from an estate sale. It is in extraordinary condition for a sand wedge and it's age. Grooves are good. The sole is good and still has paint fill. Just a little wear on the face. Whoever had it probably used it only for sand shots and from the looks of it they weren't in the sand that much. I think I payed almost $7.00 dollars for it. I take it out to the range and it a few balls with it. Even with range balls this wedge feels great and is very versatile. I'm going to put it in my bag sometime and play it for a round.

Thanks folks, without hesitation I can say that I actually learned something today.

Trust me you will. There is a wealth of knowledge on here> I have been here a few moons and still learn something every time I fire this thing up
  • Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Texsport

Could you post some pictures of the 57, 58 & 59? Also give a brief explanation of their differences. I’d like to keep my eye open and try to find one or two of them.