2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Skycaddie SX500

I use the Scosche Magic Mount for our iPhone 8+ in both our SUV's and have been using same mount with the Touch the last year or so. I tried it with the new SX500 and works perfectly for me. I just put the suction mount on the cart lower windshield near the cart frame to restrict a lot of movement and stuck the metal plate on rear of SX500. The magnets are really strong and have tested 3 rounds with no problems whatsoever. I can easily pull off and walk it to tee boxes or cart path only fairways then stick right back on the magnet. It may not be for everyone, but works for me and not expensive at all.

https://www.amazon.c...gic mount&psc=1

You might have my attention with that one. I haven't seen one of those before but if it really works and eliminates the need to mess with clamping mechanisms to secure and remove the unit I'm in.

Guess I need to amend my earlier statement that I saw no need to look any further!

Thanks!

Turns out a buddy of mine has one of these that he uses for his iPhone. I borrowed it on Friday to use with the SX500 and ordered one for myself off of Amazon before the round was even over.

Works perfectly, is compact yet sturdy and eliminates the need to mess with the clamping device on the RAM mount whenever I want to remove/replace the GPS to take it elsewhere on the course - tee box, driving range, DEEP in the woods, etc.

Plus, it's a fraction of the cost of the RAM mount - $11 vs. $65.

Thanks for the heads up on this item!

Awesome!!! I'm glad I could help. Can't beat the ease of use and price point. My mount fell off the cart windshield a couple times when I first got these due to windshield being dirty and suction not making good contact. Make sure to wipe the suction cup first with damp towel or finger (per instructions that I didn't read, haha) and it will never come off unless you use some force.

Trade in question for everyone? When I traded up the last time from the SGX to the Touch, I seem to recall receiving a prepaid padded gold envelope to send the older model in. When I received the SX500, I didn't receive any of that in the box. I'm assuming I need to package it up and send back on my own? Anyone already sent their Touch in for the trade-in credit? Thanks for any info!

My touch was smashed beyond repair and in two pieces. I placed it in a small envelope we had lying around from an amazon order and paid $3 USPS. I received the $50 credit on my CC a few days later. If my touch was operational, I would’ve sold it elsewhere for more than the what they’re offering. But a device that looked like I used it on a tee box, $50 seems fair. Haha.

Got a email about extending the warranty on my SX500 but no tracking number. Looking at my account it shows a new serial number SX500 (must be close to shipping). I ordered on August 18 with loyalty pricing. They must be catching up on orders if they can assign a unit to my account.

917D2, 9.5, MT-6s
PXG 0341 15, 21 Rogue Black 70S
PXG 0317, 22, 25 with Rogue Black 85H
718 AP2, 6-PW, GW, Modus 120S
Vokey SM6 56(V) (bent to 55), 60(V) Modus 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport or Concept 1 (Circle T) or Futura 5.5M

Is the unit easily removed if you want to take it away from the cart?

Yes, there is a video for the PT4 mount, which is essentially the same other than dimensions - and it snaps in and out no fuss. I've used this mount before for a previous GPS and it works great. I have one coming for the SX500.

That being said, I'm intrigued by the Scoshe Magic mount mentioned, as it appears to be a smaller profile, but would like to see a picture with it mounted, as it doesn't look like it would hold the GPS in a viewable position...unless I'm looking at the wrong mount?

Is this the correct one?

71nzbL%2BUI-L._SL1500_.jpg

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

That’s it. Just stick it to the windshield, attach self adhesive metal plate to back of device, and the device easily sticks on/off by the magnets. No clips, clamps, etc. Ease of use and only $11. I’ve been using these magic mounts for two years now in the car and on the golf course. I’m not on the course for demonstration but here’s an example on my office window.

That’s it. Just stick it to the windshield, attach self adhesive metal plate to back of device, and the device easily sticks on/off by the magnets. No clips, clamps, etc. Ease of use and only $11. I’ve been using these magic mounts for two years now in the car and on the golf course. I’m not on the course for demonstration but here’s an example on my office window.

Yep, what he said - I played my fifth round in five days yesterday with the SCOSCHE Magic Mount and have liked it better each and every time. Has yet to fall off or come loose and adjusting it to the perfect viewing angle is about as simple as it gets.

Because the surface of the suction cup device is kind of gummy I've been sticking it to an small plastic bag to keep if from becoming dirty and dusty when not being used.

As for the SX500, it also has performed flawlessly and I'm very happy with my decision to purchase. It is soooo much easier to see and operate than the Touch and ease of use and speed of function is pretty impressive. After the minute or two that's required for the initial startup this thing is lightning fast and seems similar to operating my iPhone.

I'm actually utilizing the different views and options on the SX500 whereas I seldom bothered on any of the previous models as it was just too frustrating and time consuming. I've even started using it to keep score and to track fairways and putts since it's so must faster and easier to do.

The SX500 and the SCHOSCHE Magic Mount equal a win/win for me.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Today I received the SportX TekGrip and did not like it at all. Felt very cheap and flimsy. If you used the fold up tabs at the bottom,the on/off button was blocked and the unit sat really high.

I sent it back and ordered the Caddie buddy. I will report back when it comes in

I agree about the SportX. I will use my Caddie Buddy Phone holder when I mount it on the cart. I am going to try to get used to a cup mount as shortly I will have my own cart. That way I have a holder for my SX500 for when I play golf and iPhone X when I head to the community clubhouse.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Thanks dchorman - Sounds good on the Scoshe - I have the GB on order already but will grab the Scoshe too - see which one I like better. Always used some sort of cart upright mount, never really though about a windshield mount. I guess I was biased by all the times I came out to my car and found my GPS on the floorboard lol. Good old Florida heat kills suction mounts pretty easy.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Here's the CaddieBuddy Mount - as I mentioned, it's rather large, at least compared to previous versions that could take advantage of a belt clip post. It is essentially a spring loaded clam-shell design, with different length top hooks to allow for different size devices. But, it is quickly and easily separated into "GPS part" and "mount part" so you can leave the GPS part on the SX500 and the mount part "folds" flat so it's not as bad as on would first consider :).

Still, I ordered the Scoshe as well and am looking forward to trying it, as it is certainly more compact, just have to see how the window mount does in Florida Heat. I read a review on Amazon that the stickiness softens in Fl head and the whole mount just slides down the windshield, leaving a gummy mess - even had a picture of it. Now that was in a car (hotter) and also probably mounted for much longer than 4 hours or so at at time, so thinking for a cart windshield it probably won't be an issue.

1Juw8uol.jpg

oRedAbml.jpg

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Well, I don't know about "Florida heat" but three of the days that I played earlier this week the actual temperature here in Kansas City ranged from 94 to 98 and the dew point was well into the 70's which resulted in heat indexes (when I happened to check anyways) as high as 112 and the SCHOSHE never budged nor did it leave any sticky residue.

Came off the windshield exactly as it went on each of those days and left no evidence of even having been on the windshield much less any sticky residue.

I just can't imagine heat being an issue with this device when used in a golf cart.

Now, if you're leaving it on the windshield of an exposed and enclosed vehicle where (according to the National Weather Service) the temperatures can exceed 200 degrees that might be a different story.

Might want to check to see if NASA has some overstock heat shield panels that you could retrofit for that purpose!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

I went ahead and ordered one today before the promo ends. I’ll be sending them an SG5 that doesn’t have a backlight. Not sure what I’ll do with my Touch.

I don't know what kind of condition your Touch is in but mine was excellent and I still had the original box and the accessories that came with it (which amounted to charge cord and belt clip) and it sold on eBay for $145 in less than two hours.

I also had an old SGX with a bad charge port and a cracked screen (courtesy of my nephew) and I sent it in for the $50 rebate so I have a grand total of $155 invested in the SX500 and received the extra year from Skygolf which ain't a bad in my opinion.

Might want to look into selling that Touch.

My name is Mike Owens and we offer the best rangefinder cart mounting system on the market. In business since 2009 and our GPS Quick Clip was voted the best new golf product by the attendees at the 2010 PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando. Pease visit our website: www.gpsquickclip.com.

We have already delivered several Quick Clips to customers who had preordered the SX500.

If you have questions or concerns please give us a call at 843-333-7453.

Mike Owens

GPS Quick Clip Inc

Michael D Owens

159 Goodson Loop

Pawleys Island, SC 29585

Email: [email protected]

Web: gpsquickclip.com

Cell: 843-333-7453

Fax: 843-235-8405

cc

I talked to tech support last week about another issue. And I asked about a belt clip. They are working on a case and belt clip. Don’t know when they will be released, though.

I’m currently using a case that’s made for a Galaxy S9. The fit is just ok. And it’s kind of a pain to pull it in and out of the case. Hopefully SkyCaddie will come out with something more convenient to use. Judging by the recent posts, most people will be using it on a golf cart. Because of the size and weight, walkers like me probably aren’t SkyCaddie’s target consumer.

Well, I don't know about "Florida heat" but three of the days that I played earlier this week the actual temperature here in Kansas City ranged from 94 to 98 and the dew point was well into the 70's which resulted in heat indexes (when I happened to check anyways) as high as 112 and the SCHOSHE never budged nor did it leave any sticky residue.

Came off the windshield exactly as it went on each of those days and left no evidence of even having been on the windshield much less any sticky residue.

I just can't imagine heat being an issue with this device when used in a golf cart.

Now, if you're leaving it on the windshield of an exposed and enclosed vehicle where (according to the National Weather Service) the temperatures can exceed 200 degrees that might be a different story.

Might want to check to see if NASA has some overstock heat shield panels that you could retrofit for that purpose!

Yep and I said as much in my post as well - the relatively short times used on a cart windshield would likely be no problem.

However, here's the pic (not my pic, not my review) showing it occurring in a vehicle, so apparently it can happen...

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

For the magnetic plate to be used with the Scoshe - where are you guys sticking it? Over the ESN tag area (lower) or over the warranty/do not remove sticker area (higher). Or does it even matter?

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

My name is Mike Owens and we offer the best rangefinder cart mounting system on the market. In business since 2009 and our GPS Quick Clip was voted the best new golf product by the attendees at the 2010 PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando. Pease visit our website: www.gpsquickclip.com.

We have already delivered several Quick Clips to customers who had preordered the SX500.

If you have questions or concerns please give us a call at 843-333-7453.

Mike Owens

GPS Quick Clip Inc

Michael D Owens

159 Goodson Loop

Pawleys Island, SC 29585

Email: [email protected]

Web: gpsquickclip.com

Cell: 843-333-7453

Fax: 843-235-8405

The SX 500 does dot have a clip available.

cc

When I received the loyalty email from Skygolf, concerning the SX500, I began to do some research and I found this forum. I gained significant knowledge from this thread which prompted me to join the forum. After reading this thread I ordered my Skycaddie SX500 on August 2, 2018, along with the SportX Tek Grip. I received the SX500 and Tek Grip on August 28, 2018. Here are my observations about both products. I will start with the SportX. I walk and use a push cart. My previous Skycaddie was the Breeze. Since my push cart is a click gear I used the holder sold by them to mount the breeze. I attached the breeze to the belt clip and then attached it to the click gear holder which worked like a breeze (no pun intended). As we all remember in the "old days" when Skygolf sold a GPS it came with a belt clip and attachment, a wall charger and car charger. In my opinion, the SportX looks bulky and has to be removed, unlike its predecessor, when I fold up the cart. If you use the folding legs at the bottom, the SX500 mounts in a position where it presses up against the camera button and activates the camera. Needless to say the folding legs were not an option. The SX500 is gripped snugly by the SportX and after four rounds it has remained that way. Only time will tell if the clamps that keep it in place will hold up. Now on to the SX500. It is better in every way from the breeze and I love it. I did experience a problem on a few occasions when it would unexpectedly turn off during the round. The SX500 was set from the factory to turn off after thirty minutes. I thought that meant thirty minutes after it sensed no activity. I changed the setting to sixty minutes and to my chagrin approximately sixty minutes into the round it shut down. WTF! I then changed the setting to never shut down and I have not experienced the problem again. My other minor gripe is the size of the text when it asks you whether you are finished with a hole and when you want to confirm a power off. Can't this be bigger? We all don't have eyesight like a hawk! Overall I am very happen with my purchase of the SX500 and hope Skygolf will address some of my issues in the future. BTW: Is there a belt holder for a cellphone that has similar dimensions to the SX500?

When I received the loyalty email from Skygolf, concerning the SX500, I began to do some research and I found this forum. I gained significant knowledge from this thread which prompted me to join the forum. After reading this thread I ordered my Skycaddie SX500 on August 2, 2018, along with the SportX Tek Grip. I received the SX500 and Tek Grip on August 28, 2018. Here are my observations about both products. I will start with the SportX. I walk and use a push cart. My previous Skycaddie was the Breeze. Since my push cart is a click gear I used the holder sold by them to mount the breeze. I attached the breeze to the belt clip and then attached it to the click gear holder which worked like a breeze (no pun intended). As we all remember in the "old days" when Skygolf sold a GPS it came with a belt clip and attachment, a wall charger and car charger. In my opinion, the SportX looks bulky and has to be removed, unlike its predecessor, when I fold up the cart. If you use the folding legs at the bottom, the SX500 mounts in a position where it presses up against the camera button and activates the camera. Needless to say the folding legs were not an option. The SX500 is gripped snugly by the SportX and after four rounds it has remained that way. Only time will tell if the clamps that keep it in place will hold up. Now on to the SX500. It is better in every way from the breeze and I love it. I did experience a problem on a few occasions when it would unexpectedly turn off during the round. The SX500 was set from the factory to turn off after thirty minutes. I thought that meant thirty minutes after it sensed no activity. I changed the setting to sixty minutes and to my chagrin approximately sixty minutes into the round it shut down. WTF! I then changed the setting to never shut down and I have not experienced the problem again. My other minor gripe is the size of the text when it asks you whether you are finished with a hole and when you want to confirm a power off. Can't this be bigger? We all don't have eyesight like a hawk! Overall I am very happen with my purchase of the SX500 and hope Skygolf will address some of my issues in the future. BTW: Is there a belt holder for a cellphone that has similar dimensions to the SX500?

The auto shut down happens when there is no activity over the set time. If all you do is look at the screen, it will turn off. All you need to do is do something, like change the view, every couple holes to keep it from turning off.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft