Played a Private Course And Regret It

Pace of play and people willing to take care of the course, their course, are the biggest differences I have seen.

I got behind the girls hs team playing a math the other day here. They must have implemented a stroke penalty for fixing a pitch mark. Unreal the amount of fresh marks un-repaired on the greens.

Pace of play and people willing to take care of the course, their course, are the biggest differences I have seen.

I got behind the girls hs team playing a math the other day here. They must have implemented a stroke penalty for fixing a pitch mark. Unreal the amount of fresh marks un-repaired on the greens.

I had that exact discussion with my coworker while we were playing. Our public course hosts so many corporate outings, it's ridiculous. A lot of people who only play their corporate outing and no other rounds during the year.

Here is their tournament schedule from June to August, it is a lot of events over the course of 3 months. It's not typically inconveniencing me since a lot of them are during the work week. You can just tell the days they had an event because there are unfixed pitch marks everywhere and it looks like no one knows how to pick up their feet when they walk on a green.

Edit: now that I look at the list, this isn't even complete. This schedule hasn't been updated for a while.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

So, a newer coworker of mine is a member at the most upscale private course in the immediate area. I have never played there before. Mainly because I am in a different class and don't run with folks who can drop $10k a year on a golf membership. Not bitter, I just don't know any members there other than him, and I've only known him for a few months.

Anyhow, he was nice enough to invite me out there for a round with a rep that was in town visiting our company. The facilities are top notch, the course was in great shape, and the greens are absolutely phenomenal. When I say phenomenal, I mean, they didn't have a blemish on them. No old divots, no blades of grass out of place. Now, the public course I call home has great greens. They are typically on the faster side of the other courses I have access to and typically roll pretty true. But, they get a ton of traffic. I played the private course on Tuesday and played in my normal league last night. I was standing on the greens last night noticing every little imperfection, looking at how the grass is fluffy in spots where people drug their feet, seeing days old divots that are still just starting to grow back. They just don't compare. On top of that, my course isn't as challenging. You can miss in a lot of different spots and have realistic shots at getting birdie. It's on the shorter side for me (6700 yards at the tips). Most par 4's are driver wedge. Even the par 5's don't require much more than a 5 iron in unless I hit a terrible tee shot.

I am glad I had the opportunity to play the private course, but now I look at my course with a lot less admiration. Still a great place to play, but there is definitely room for improvement. Like going from steak back to bologna. I find myself trying to justify the expense of joining the more affordable private course in town. Not quite as nice, but still a great, challenging track. It would cost me about $2k after dues and quarterly minimums. Dues go up $100 a year for the first 10 years capping at $2500 before minimums currently. I currently pay $750 to play 2 public courses. This private course has a lot more trees and more demanding tee shots. I find that I focus more and definitely could use some motivation to get more accurate off the tee. Currently, I can basically just bomb it and get it as close to the green as possible and still score better than laying up to ensure I am in the fairway.

Cost aside, I only know a couple of people out there, and we are more acquaintances than golf buddies. So, I don't know that we would really play all that much together. I almost have to talk a friend in to joining with me so I actually have a playing partner.

Has anyone else made a similar conversion and find yourself playing alone a lot until you were able to build up a base of new golf friends? I would have a hard time dropping $50 a round should I want to play with my old playing partners as often as I do now.

That seems like a steal for a fully private club, but it is still drastically more than what you're paying. If you are worried about meeting new people to play with do not. All you have to do is ask one of the pros to introduce you to similar golfers. And, assuming your budget doesn't take too much of a hit you could still play with your muni buddies from time to time. But, you will find new people to play with and have access to probably a men's golf association etc. There are a lot of perks.

Regarding your wife, my wife really has no interest in golf and was fine joining a private club but didn't really have interest in it. But, when we joined and she could use the sitter service while working out, go to the pool, take tennis lessons, go to wine nights and meet new people she fell in love beyond what I would have ever expected.

Is Fargo CC that much nicer than the Moorhead CC? I live on the ND side, but just across the Moorhead CC, and considered joining a couple of times. What's holding me back is that for $700, I get access to 5 public courses in Fargo, all of which are decent-to-good. The variety is hard to beat, even though the greens aren't as nice as what the CCs have.

One thing to consider: some country clubs (Moorhead is one, not sure about Fargo or Oxbow) have a golf simulator you can use in the winter.

I do wish our CCs had more services for non-golfers. The pools are meh, and there's no tennis or gym facilities that could make the switch more attractive for a family.

Is Fargo CC that much nicer than the Moorhead CC? I live on the ND side, but just across the Moorhead CC, and considered joining a couple of times. What's holding me back is that for $700, I get access to 5 public courses in Fargo, all of which are decent-to-good. The variety is hard to beat, even though the greens aren't as nice as what the CCs have.

One thing to consider: some country clubs (Moorhead is one, not sure about Fargo or Oxbow) have a golf simulator you can use in the winter.

I do wish our CCs had more services for non-golfers. The pools are meh, and there's no tennis or gym facilities that could make the switch more attractive for a family.

To me, the facilities are nicer. Just more upscale. The course is probably nicer and the greens more consistent. But, I think the Moorhead CC is a much better bang for your buck.

I think the MCC's sim is a Skytrak, and, I think you have to pay by the hour. Golf Addiction has a better setup for similar sim rental cost.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I remember the first time I took a friend (who was a member at a public course) to play at my club on a weekday. We were in the first fairway and he commented "where are all the divots?" I told him the maintenance staff comes out on Mondays and takes care of that. He seemed stunned. At the end of the round he commented on our pace of play. I told him the members get cranky if it takes four hours to play. Pace of pay is a non-issue I believe at most private clubs.

To me, the facilities are nicer. Just more upscale. The course is probably nicer and the greens more consistent. But, I think the Moorhead CC is a much better bang for your buck.

Good to know. I'm not really in the market (beginner-ish golfer, so the public courses are plenty challenging), and if I were the proximity to the Moorhead CC would be tough to pass up ... but they do seem the least impressive of the three when it comes to services beyond the golf course.

The biggest benefit I’ve realized after joining a private golf club is the pace of play. Golf now only takes 3.5 hours and I can get a tee time early Saturday and Sunday mornings so my wife doesn’t feel like a single mother. Playing 5 hour rounds at popular public tracks on Saturday morning gets old. At our club it seems everyone is obsessed with playing fast, and because everyone knows everyone, there is never a question about letting faster groups through.

I joined a beautiful private course this year...the tees are pool table tops, the greens are speedy and perfect, the rough is lush without a piece of clover anywhere.

Last evening, I was out for a ride on my Harley and stopped by my old muni course. Had a beer with a buddy and stood beside the first tee that looks like my lawn and the practice green that's burned brown.

Just how the hell am I ever going to go back to that?!

Find a private course you can afford OP. As folks have said, you won't regret it.

Every time I start looking at our monthly dues for our membership with a bit of a side eye I simply book a tee time for my wife and I at one of the local public courses on a weekend afternoon.

It usually takes about 4-6 holes before we both look at each other and nod. We've got some nicely maintained public or even semi-private courses around but none of them can come close to pace of play.

Hawktree, Bully Pulpit are great, fun courses. Some call Jim Engh courses "quirky" or "tricked up", but I always have fun on his designs. Need to get to Ray to play the Links. Used to play Lincoln, Ray Richards and Manvel when I was living in Grand Forks with the occasional run out to Larimore or down to Hillsboro.

I went from playing public courses last year to a more generic private course in my area, what I mean by that is the golf itself was very uninspiring, but the conditions were always excellent, it was easy to get out, and the convenience factor was there. I didn’t have a regular group I played with as most of my friends moved well outside the area; I can tell you it was the best decision I made, I found a regular group of good dudes that I loved playing with. Funny part is we have left that course but now play almost every weekend! I did join another course, and I know my rounds will drop with those guys, but I still plan on playing other courses with the

Now I will be the first one to tell you that the cost per round of either private course is much higher than if I paid the daily rate, but the convenience factor and meeting some good dudes was well worth it IMO.

Was talking this over with some friends after getting rained out this morning. We discussed the pros and cons of the particular country club I could actually afford. Looked up the course and realized it's even shorter than the one I play now. It's kind of uninspiring golf as mentioned above. There's a semi private course just outside of town. Costs the same as I pay now and does a great job hosting events for its members. Plays just shy of 7000 yards and has a good mix of trees and some holes that are exposed to the wind, which is pretty bad here at times. They have cart storage (always been my dream to have my own cart). I think they restrict the public from playing until a certain time on the weekends, but I'm not sure how full the tee sheet gets during the members only hours.

But, this may be at least worth trying since it's a lateral move financially. It will just be hard to not be able to drive 5 minutes for a quick round by myself or a quick practice session.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Was talking this over with some friends after getting rained out this morning. We discussed the pros and cons of the particular country club I could actually afford. Looked up the course and realized it's even shorter than the one I play now. It's kind of uninspiring golf as mentioned above. There's a semi private course just outside of town. Costs the same as I pay now and does a great job hosting events for its members. Plays just shy of 7000 yards and has a good mix of trees and some holes that are exposed to the wind, which is pretty bad here at times. They have cart storage (always been my dream to have my own cart). I think they restrict the public from playing until a certain time on the weekends, but I'm not sure how full the tee sheet gets during the members only hours.

But, this may be at least worth trying since it's a lateral move financially. It will just be hard to not be able to drive 5 minutes for a quick round by myself or a quick practice session.

What is the semi private course?

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Maple River in Mapleton. I've played it a bunch over the years and never knew it was semi private until my buddy told me.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Maple River in Mapleton. I've played it a bunch over the years and never knew it was semi private until my buddy told me.

I lived way west Fargo and had a membership there for 2 years. I really enjoyed playing there. The wind can be brutal on some of those more open holes along interstate.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I lived way west Fargo and had a membership there for 2 years. I really enjoyed playing there. The wind can be brutal on some of those more open holes along interstate.

It sure can. The only downside is the greens can be hit and miss. At least in years past. Some seasons they would be phenomenal and others they would be recovering from winter kill well into the season. I think they have undergone some changes and brought in David Schultz as the head pro.

I only played it once this year, but it was in great shape. It was the 5 man scramble fundraiser. Had a couple partners that weren't regular players but good dudes none the less. I drove the green on 18 and we made the eagle putt for the only skin of the day. Was worth $900.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I always liked holes 6-8 on the front, nine is ridiculous from the tips when they're way back. 11 green has crazy slope. I can remember playing some days out there and on like holes 5 and 12 having to start drives way OB and letting them ride the south wind back in bounds.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Absolutely no such thing as joining A CC on a budget. You simply can’t justify the expense unless you are willing to spend it.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Absolutely no such thing as joining A CC on a budget. You simply can’t justify the expense unless you are willing to spend it.

Well, weighing perceived value against what you get out of the membership. Two clubs here are simply in a different income bracket than my own all together.

Realistically, there's only a month left in my season anyhow. I've got time to think this over.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Realistically, there's only a month left in my season anyhow. I've got time to think this over.

What a pessimist. I'd like to think we have another solid 5 weeks ahead of us ... :/

One upside of the CCs around here is that they try to keep the courses open a little longer than the public ones. But once they're shut down, the winter is still long enough that if one doesn't really care about the non-golf side of country clubs, and/or doesn't usually hang out with the typical club clientele outside of playing golf (I don't, on both counts), it's a long winter of looking at monthly fees and wondering what you're getting out of it.

The one time I played one of the CC courses though ... yeah, they're nice.

I can relate to the OP since the only times I play private courses is when they open themselves up for state-level tournament play. As a passionate but financially challenged golfer, it can be tempting to get bitter, but there is nothing to be gained by envy. I try to turn it around and make sure I go out of my way to thank members and volunteers I meet for giving up their beautiful golf course for a few days. Much better for the soul.

In the past few years, I've had the good fortune to play some nice courses in Minnesota: Rochester CC, Somerby, Golden Valley CC, Midland Hills, Town and Country, Island View (semi-private). Next month I'll be on Northfield CC for a fourball and Bemidji CC for the sr. am. For those of you belonging to a private course, you help foster good will when you host tournament golf.

My only advice if you're considering joining a private club is don't drag a friend along. Private clubs are not only about the quality of golf but meeting other members and developing new friendships.

THIS.

My wife just started playing last year, and really enjoys it, so we decided to take the plunge and get a membership somewhere. We looked at a few privates and a few publics in the area. When we visited the course we eventually joined, all the members were very friendly and outgoing, and the place just felt right. We've been members for just over a year now, and have developed a lot of close friendships. I've got a group of about 8 guys that I'll play regularly with, and about another dozen that I'll play random occasional rounds with. I've played more golf in the last year than I did in the previous 15 years combined (I picked up the clubs again about 3 years ago after a long hiatus where I only played drunken charity scrambles). The club has really become the focal point of our social lives, and it's been fantastic.

My only advice if you're considering joining a private club is don't drag a friend along. Private clubs are not only about the quality of golf but meeting other members and developing new friendships.

THIS.

My wife just started playing last year, and really enjoys it, so we decided to take the plunge and get a membership somewhere. We looked at a few privates and a few publics in the area. When we visited the course we eventually joined, all the members were very friendly and outgoing, and the place just felt right. We've been members for just over a year now, and have developed a lot of close friendships. I've got a group of about 8 guys that I'll play regularly with, and about another dozen that I'll play random occasional rounds with. I've played more golf in the last year than I did in the previous 15 years combined (I picked up the clubs again about 3 years ago after a long hiatus where I only played drunken charity scrambles). The club has really become the focal point of our social lives, and it's been fantastic.

Each of the posts above really nail it. Most private clubs offer a wonderful experience where you can almost instantly make friends with others who enjoy and appreciate the game as much as you do. If we were to relocate for any reason, the first thing I'd do is research and preview the private clubs in the new area. Find the right fit and "poof," nearly instant social life.

I'm on the BOD of my current club and we've noticed that the millennials who take advantage of our "young executive" membership, with reduced membership costs, often join with a few friends and seem reluctant to engage/mix it up with the men's groups, etc. Its a shame, because those that do take some initiative end up really enjoying the club more than the others as evidenced by renewing their membership.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

THIS.

Each of the posts above really nail it. Most private clubs offer a wonderful experience where you can almost instantly make friends with others who enjoy and appreciate the game as much as you do. If we were to relocate for any reason, the first thing I'd do is research and preview the private clubs in the new area. Find the right fit and "poof," nearly instant social life.

I'm on the BOD of my current club and we've noticed that the millennials who take advantage of our "young executive" membership, with reduced membership costs, often join with a few friends and seem reluctant to engage/mix it up with the men's groups, etc. Its a shame, because those that do take some initiative end up really enjoying the club more than the others as evidenced by renewing their membership.

Right, but I wouldn't be a very good friend if I cut ties. One of my buddies is of a similar mindset to me. If either him or I decided it was finally time, I have a feeling we would both join the same year.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

THIS.

Right, but I wouldn't be a very good friend if I cut ties. One of my buddies is of a similar mindset to me. If either him or I decided it was finally time, I have a feeling we would both join the same year.

No need to abandon your golf buddy;there's nothing wrong with joining together. In fact it's welcomed. The key is for both of you to get involved in men's groups, club events, and activities to get the most out of your membership.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

THIS.

One of the main points my wife and I were looking for when joining a club...besides living in the neighborhood of it....was the age groups of members. We're in our early 30's and having a young, social, and lively club was paramount.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I've gotta say while I thoroughly enjoy the various groups I've played with and people I've gotten to know during my decade-plus of membership, when new guys join and just stick to playing with one or two friends rather than mixing it up with other groups I don't see that as "not getting the most out of their membership" at all.

My own golf life has never evolved that way but I think I'd enjoy having a partner or fourball or whatever of regular golf buddies rather than several large, amorphous groups who play together at various times. Either way is good.

Greetings from down 94 in the Twin Cities.

I am a private club guy for the simple reason that conditions are better, there are more opportunities to play and the pace of play is better.

If I want to play after work, I show up, go out and play. There's no league to have to worry about, no dudes trying to crush a 12-pack in 9 holes and the conditions are going to be good.

I also think that knowing you can go to the club for dinner some night without reservations and without having to wait isn't terrible either.

I haven't played Fargo CC, but have played Moorhead CC fairly recently and Oxbow a million years ago.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W: TaylorMade Sim Titanium

Irons: PXG XP Gen 5 Steelfiber shafts
Wedges: PXG Sugar Daddy II 50 degrees. Vokey SM9 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S