2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Most memorable (Coolest) moment on a golf course?

BobbyLite

My brother and I play each year in a better ball tournament. A few years ago we are in the final group on the final day and come to 18 down 1 to a team that went low. They are on the putting green just to the left of the 18 th green.

18 is a reachable par 5. I’m just off the green in two and my brother is on in two about 25 feet away. I chip up to 4 feet and go ahead and finish. I make 4, guaranteeing a playoff.

There are about 200 or so people around the green and my brother reads his putt and I ask if he’s got it. He looks at me and smiles and says, I got it. He steps up and holes it for 3 to win. The guys on the practice green huff off, slam their putter in their bags and bolt. I give my brother a hug and he says “told you I got it”

Man! Makes me smile just writing it down. My favorite moment on the golf course.

• 5 weeks later...

Coolest moment would have to be getting my oldest son on the course for the first time. He had literally 0 interest in golf until he watched Dad hit a thunderous booming drive off the tee box. Well he thought it was thunderous and booming, it carried 260 and admittedly that is the top range of my driver distance lol. I will say I was slightly jealous on the driving range watching this kid whos never swung a club hit balls dead straight 100 yards with a driver. It took me several years to get rid of my horrid slice.

Second coolest would be playing a base course here in Mayport, Fl. I was on the 10th hole and hitting from 135 or so out. I thined a 8 iron terribly but the ball was on a lazer straight path souring straight over the green. Probably would have carried 180 yards if not for the telephone pole it hit 20 yards past the green. The ball bounced right back onto the green and ended up about 10' from the cup. Considering the crap hit, Ill take that kind of luck any day.

Yesterday! I won my club championship. I have a torn meniscus in my left knee and could barely walk Saturday night. I was popping 4 advil every 4 hours and made it through 35 holes of golf. It was the best feeling I have had on the course, my wife and baby girl showed up and they were standing next to the green when I won. Came so close once before and it was great to finally do it. Surgery in a few weeks then no golf for awhile.

Think I've told this story before but we had a corporate boondoggle in Bermuda and a ton of famous athletes came to the event. The two golfers were Jan Stephenson and Billy Casper. I got to play 3 holes with Jan and went birdie, birdie, birdie. After we finished I asked what she saw in my swing that I could be doing better and she said "You just ******* birdied 3 holes in a row, WTF do you think I can tell you to do better?"

That was 1 of only 2 times I've started a round with 3 birdies.

I was playing in a scramble to benefit the local Ronald McDonald House. It was relatively early in the season, and some of the Bermuda rough was still dormant, but it was a gorgeous day.

A golf cart was circulating the course with a photographer and a guy dressed as Ronald McDonald. They were trying to get a photo with every foursome. When they caught up to us we were on the green of a Redan hole that slopes sharply from the cart path all the way down past the edge of the green.

Ronald, still sitting in the cart, hollered "Hey guys!" and stepped out onto the steep hill covered with dormant Bermuda. His giant clown shoes offered no traction. He fell straight down to his backside and slid twenty yards down the hill while letting loose a loud "aw f^<k me!"

It was hilarious.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

For me it was my 3rd Ace, and it was special because my son was playing with me that day so he got to see it, I’ve still got the ball and the club, it was a great day. The first Ace is a really close second and would have been the coolest moment if not for the 3rd one. Third on the list would be the shot I hit at the Links at Penn Hills, 240y to carry the water to an island green, second shot on a par 5, pulled 3 wood and smoked it, I heard it land on solid ground but couldn’t find it when I walked up to the green because I was looking everywhere BUT on the green lol. It was laying on the green about 35’ right of the pin and hole high, I then proceeded to 3 jack it for a very disappointing par, that was my first ever Par 5 in 2. :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

For me it was probably when a heavily pregnant mama deer strolled up out of the trees to a grassed area right behind the tee box I was on and had the fawn right there.

Really quiet day on the course (never saw anyone the entire round) so I got to just sit and watch nature.

Lots of wildlife in the areas we golf. I've had friends chased by moose, see bear cubs, one friend had a ball stolen off the green by some kind of critter etc, but that was my first up close & personal with the local wildlife.

I know how I missed this thread...was "back in the bidness", working 16 hours days, and my running through the WRX threads took back seat to work and sleep.

But, this story really hit home to me.

I had the great fortune to develop a project for a local school system, where we basically had a golf learning center...350 yard driving range, putting green, practice bunker for greens/fairways, and 3 holes that had 11 different tee boxes for play.

I crreated a program for Adult Education where you could receive 12 hours of group instruction for basically $42, and my programs sold out almost immediately, becoming the only profit making program/class ever in the state of Florida's school system (passive....not really...brag)

Anyway...one day, I had the one of the 3 classes for the day surrounding one of the greens on the 3 holes, working on pitching and chipping.

This particular project was pretty much out in the county, as we tended to say, and not really near much civilization, and since the classes I held were on weekends, the usual school crowd and cars were not there.

As the group was practicing their work for the day, I noticed a sand hill crane about 75 yards away, and this poor critter had a plastic grocery bag wound around his beak, making it impossible for him (I know it was a young male...I had watched him grow up) to be able to eat.

I left my group of students to practice, and slowly made my way towards him, and he slowly began to come to me. Now remember, I had seen him since he was born, and never had any interaction with him or his "parents" but I am sure that he was familiar with me and my scent, as well as my behavior towards them.

We finally got face to face, about 3 feet apart, after 3-4 minutes, and I slowly raised my hand towards his beak, and he slowly lowered his head, to allow me to reach out to the bag, which I gently grabbed, but didn't pull away. He realized that I wasn't moving, so he slowly backed away from me, allowing the bag to slide off his beak, and I had it in my hand. I didn't move for a bit, allowing him to determine his pace to move away, which he did...slowly, but not in a way where he was scared or anything.

Once he was a safe distance from me, I turned to return to my group, and I was really astonished to see that each and every one of the 25+/- students I had that day were all still, simply watching the play unfold of removing the bag from this beautiful bird's beak, and allowing him to return to "normal" life.

I have seen and done lots of things on the course in my life, and while this wasn't a "full, traditional" golf course...it stands out in my mind as the single most memorable event to happen to or with me anywhere on any course. (and I've had 4 hole in ones)

Thanks for reading....and, I hope that each and every one of you has an experience as memorable and moving as this one.

Think I've told this story before but we had a corporate boondoggle in Bermuda and a ton of famous athletes came to the event. The two golfers were Jan Stephenson and Billy Casper. I got to play 3 holes with Jan and went birdie, birdie, birdie. After we finished I asked what she saw in my swing that I could be doing better and she said "You just ******* birdied 3 holes in a row, WTF do you think I can tell you to do better?"

While I know that you really impressed and were impressed by Ms. Stephenson...I wonder, (since I have heard the story before) what were your scores on the 3 holes with Mr. Casper?

While I know that you really impressed and were impressed by Ms. Stephenson...I wonder, (since I have heard the story before) what were your scores on the 3 holes with Mr. Casper?

Sadly, I didn't get to play with him. He did a clinic for us and without hesitation he had AMAZING hand eye coordination. He had a ball on a tee swung and it barely moved forward off the tee. I thought...he basically whiffed. Yeah, right. He teed another ball, swung and it delicately rolled off the tee and hit the top of the other ball.

Got to talk with him a bit as well and he could not have been a nicer person.

I was a 13HC or so when I got invited to play in my friend's member/guest tourney. He was maybe an 8HC. We were in the sixth flight.

This was the format where you battle in out within your flight playing nine-hole matches until there's a winner. The winners of each flight play a three-hole shootout format to determine the winning team. I played decently for my number and so did my member, and we wound up winning our flight. Fun!

I'd never been in an event like this before and didn't realize that 25-30 carts full of tourney participants were going to ride along and watch the matches. We got to the first tee for our match against the fifth flight winners, and suddenly there were all these carts lining the fairway on both sides.

I was never an athlete growing up and had never tried to make my body do anything athletic under pressure. The only comparison I had was playing music in front of people which I've done a lot.

I tried to relax. It wasn't easy. The simple act of moving the club away from the ball felt so awkward all of a sudden. I was terrified.

Fortunately my partner carried us through the first match. I don't think I hit a reasonable shot the entire match. Somehow we ended up tied after three and it was settled in a chip-off, which we won. Woo hoo! Now we proceed to number 4 against the winners of the third flight.

Holes 4-6 included a par five, a short par four, and another par five.

On hole 4, my partner got on the tee first. He hooked his first ball out of bounds. He sliced his second ball out of bounds. He put his driver back in his bag and said "Okay Crowder, you're on your own!" We lost that hole.

One hole 5, my partner parred after being in both a fairway bunker and a greenside bunker. It was awesome! We won that hole. All square.

On hole 6, my partner again hit a ball out of bounds in either direction, and told me I was on my own. We were tied, and it was way past time I did something to help the team.

I played pretty decently and ended up with a five footer for a bogey that would have pushed the match to another chip off. Never in my life have I felt the kind of pressure that I felt trying to make that putt. So many people watching. So much on the line! Of course, I missed it.

For a brief forty-five minutes, I got to experience what competitive golf is really all about. I got to feel that surge through my body. I got to play in front of others who could only watch. I didn't acquit myself well, not at all. But I enjoyed the experience of pretending to play golf that mattered.

It was a great day.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

yesterday i played a par 3 with Tom Watson.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I don’t have near as good of stories as some of these. But i did get to play with WRX legend DavePelz4!!

You're kind as always Sir. We're back at Prairie Bluff this weekend. Keep up the great play...your 68 in the tourney is awesome!

Thank you, and would love to be there playing with you guys.

When my younger son (11 years old at the time) holed out for an eagle on # 18 to beat me by one, at the same time breaking 80 for the first time.

For some strange reason, I was short-sided in a green-side bunker so I got to see the shot leave the club and go in the hole. I also got to watch him run down the fairway toward the green and up to the hole. He was really excited when he saw his ball in the hole.

Cool for sure.

If I had to choose one cool moment (at least for me), I was in a playoff for the junior county championship against a rival of mine. We didn’t hate each other, but I wouldn’t call us best of buddies either and we took great joy in beating the other and great misery losing to the other.

My rival was a very charismatic kid. He was one of those people that if a bunch of us were involved with some mischief, all of us would get punished except for him. They would just chalk it to him just being himself and ‘how could you hate him?’

The point being is that the we were the eldest age group and everybody at the course saw the playoff. There was probably about 300 people watching the playoff and 297 of them were blatantly rooting for him. The 3 that weren’t were friends of mine. And that’s probably because I gave them a ride to the course :)

A little backstory. On this very course we were playing a junior event a few years before this playoff occurred. My rival missed a short putt and instead of putting out…he whacked his ball off the green. I just stood there after he did it and didn’t move.

He asked ‘what are you doing?’

I replied ‘you’re still away.’

This led to a contentious moment. There were no gimmes in this tournament and he did not putt out. Unfortunately, I thought the rules officials would clearly be on my side.

To my surprise, the rules officials hemmed and hawed about it. I then said it wasn’t fair to the other players that putted out. Again, he was a very popular kid and people always made exceptions and excuses for him.

Eventually, the long time club pro heard about this in the pro shop. He was sort of a mentor of mine and he came out of the shop and read the riot act to the rules officials and told them in no uncertain terms that he had to putt out and that resolved that issue.

But even still, there was resentment harbored against me and many of the adults thought I was being a stick in the mud. I really didn’t hate my rival. And I don’t believe he hated me. But, there was always a lot of tension and we were very competitive against each other and when this led to the playoff for a fairly prestigious tournament, we both badly wanted to win.

Again, about 297 people were clearly rooting against me to 3 rooting for me. I hit my drive hard, but pulled it a bit. My rival was a long hitter and he piped one down the middle of the fairway.

I wasn’t just imagining that the crowd was clearly for him. It was kinda funny watching us walk down the hole as the entire crowd followed him down the fairway while my 3 friends followed me to my ball in the left rough.

Only there was one problem…I was under a big pine tree.

The only possible shot I had was to hit one left handed to the middle of the fairway. If I took an unplayable, I would have no shot at the green as there were these big trees in my way. Somehow, I hit a shot about 30 yards, left handed under a pine tree to the middle of the fairway. Honestly, it was strange…but that 30 yard shot was one of the best shots of my life. I don’t know how I pulled it off.

I hadn’t given up hope, though. The course had put in a new 150 yard marker that year on this hole. And I had found in the practice rounds (this was before rangefinders and GPS) that the marker was CLEARLY off by about 12 yards. I had a feeling that he didn’t notice that and I did. And if I can find the green, 2-putt and make bogey….maybe he misses the green short and can’t get up-and-down and we play another hole.

I am still away. I hit a good shot and I’m 25 feet away from the hole with a slick downhill putt. He gets up to hit…and I was right. He didn’t realize that the 150 yard marker was off and he ends up short of the green. But, it wasn’t that difficult of a chip. In fact, it was somewhat makeable.

Again, I walk to one side of the fairway with my 3 friends and the rest of the crowd follows my rival. His ‘fans’ were basically celebrating like this was over and he won and there was just a jovial energy to the crowd in his favor.

He chips up to about 3-feet and now everybody thinks it is over…including myself.

But, I go up and drain the 25-footer.

It was like hitting a walk-off home run at an enemy’s ballpark. I recall a few faint claps from the crowd. And I did see my friends high five each other.

He then gets up and misses the 3-footer. The crowd is just absolutely stunned at the reversal of fortune. They did stay for the trophy presentation though.

RH

That Ronald McDonald story is fantastic! LOL. I met a Ronald McDonald at the local air show and spent a minute with him as my wife got my phone ready to take a picture of us. The little snide remarks he was quietly making were funny as hell. He was your typical drunk, angry kid-birthday-party clown kind of guy. Huge too...about 6'6". I love that picture...

Mine was this year, teeing it up with my daughter for the first time on fathers day! That beats out all other golf things. We play Sunday's regularly.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 2 weeks later...

Walking off the course alive after the tree 30 yards from me was split in two by lightning. Clear blue sky, one little cloud, full of electricity.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

This just happened to a group I was playing in. A guy who has been struggling from the whites turned sixty and moved to the golds. On Wednesday that sixty year old shot a even par 36 . Best 9 of his life and shot a 44 on the back due to his 7 on the last hole. 80 was his best career 18 as well. We were pulling for him all the way. Love to see guys who played the wrong set tees for so long , get a chance to use more irons on their second shots. Now if I could talk myself into moving up next year... I’m still long enough so it ain’t going to happen.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Not a misty eye story. My group was playing late in the evening. Dead calm, very quiet and peaceful. We were on the ninth green, which is relatively close to the fourth tee. A married couple were teeing off on four, and in the calm, peaceful evening, "WILL YOU JUST STFU" from the woman. Apparently her husband had been giving her swing tips, which, by all available evidence, had not been helpful.

It was a Series of events, but it started with.....

Last year in our Club Championship, I started off Bogey Bogey and was already feeling like it was going to be a long day.. A friend of mine who happened to be working on the grounds crew, pulled up in a cart right as we were waiting for the Par 3 #3 green to clear. He asked me how I was playing, and I said terrible.. +2 already.. and I thought to myself, well If I make an Ace here, ill be even.. a 9 iron and 1 swing later, back to even.. Hit a hole in one from 140 into a nice little headwind, and 1- hopped it in, for my 2nd HIO in less than 7 months.

The Hole in One pot was at roughly $1750.. My Friend drove to the Pro Shop and told everyone, so the head pro came out, took a few pics, and told me that my $1750 will be waiting for me in the club house after the round..

By this point I was so stoked, I couldn't even be mad I was playing so bad after that.. I could not get myself to calm down.. So we get to the 7th tee box and it's a par 5.. So there is a little bit of a wait... Hole 6 green is only a few paces away from #7 tee box.. so I causally watch the group behind us hit in to the green... One guy hits a decent looking shot... And as it get closer to the green, its looking better and better... My thought was, welp he's gonna get closest to the pin... And I was right.... Because HE MADE IT!

And my $1750 was split in half... I try to contest to the Pro that I technically should of won all of the money because I hit mine first on Hole 3, and he hit his on #6.. But needless to say they weren't having it...

So fast forward a month or two.. And I have $800 and some change in Pro Shop credit, so I drive up to the course on a cold day.. and at this point I am pretty happy with my bag, and don't really need anything.. so I buy some shirts and a pair or two of shorts for the following season and a few other small items.. The Pro Shot has been running a contest all summer long.. a Titleist "Pick Your Number" contest.. They bought a TON of Pro V1s with different numbers.. from 00-99. And with this promo they had a Willy Wonka Contest Going.. Three Golden Tickets were randomly hidden in boxes and if you found any of the tickets you win. One for a Free Titleist Hat.. One for a Free Dozen balls.. and One for a Scotty Cameron of your choice.. 2 of the 3 have had been found.. The Free Scotty had yet to be found.. So I'm thinking.. Should I try my luck? I counted and they had 38 Boxes left.. And I have just about enough credit remaining to buy about 15 dozen boxes... after going back and forth, I decide to do it.. So I picked out 15 boxes of Pro V1's...

And wouldn't you know it.. On the 2nd one we opened, There was the Golden Ticket for the free Scotty!

Money match against Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler. Two buddies and myself. We played the blues at 6450ish. They played the blacks at 7100ish. Our one best ball of three, versus their one better ball of two.

I will never forget that day....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"