2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

I must be one of the few who cannot seem to hit these darn things. I went into my fitting wanting to love the 790's and for some reason just could not hit them very well with any shaft.

Just recently I started to try out driving irons and bought the p790 UDI with Tensei Pro White 100TX and have never been more excited about getting a club. I cannot hit the thing to save my life. I have tried it for a few rounds, some range balls, choked up, with lead tape, nothing I do can make me comfortable with it. Exactly how I felt with the set 6i. I'll have the UDI on BTS tonight as I just can't hit it consistent.

I don't know what it is with me and these heads but I just can't "find it" in my swing. They are stunning looking clubs though.

Check the swing weights of your clubs. I struggled with the P790's when I hit them too. I tend to be very sensitive to swing weights, and I am used to playing irons around D4-D5, but in my experience the P790's play on the light side. I couldn't hit them to save my life. I have the UDI with a Tensei Pro White 90TX. I had to add almost 8 grams to the head to get it back to D0 at 40 inches. I would like to play it at 39.25 inches, but I would have to add a mountain of lead tape to get it to where I want it to be around D4. I bought a 100TX to put in it to help alleviate some of the swing weight issues, but I might just move on from the P790 UDI and try something else. I might go back to my original UDI.

Wow...such variance in the headweights

I’m black tie hm4 105x at 39.5” in my 790 udi. I’m D2 with 4 thin strips of lead tape. I’ll post pic shortly

Any of you put SteelFibers in your P790s? If so, how is the combo?

(I've been in SF 110s for the past few years due to golfer's elbow issues -- and I'm 99% sure I'll stick with them or another graphite shaft.)

I have SF 95s in mine and like them. Never played SF before. Came from Project X 6.0 graphite 95 (Blue) in my old irons.

I was fit into 110s in my AP2 a few years ago, but I've always wondered about the 95s and if I'd like them more. I have no info as to why I might like them more -- I just wonder if a little lighter might be a little better.

Thanks for the replies regarding SFs.

... I have Recoil 95's in my irons and 110's in my wedges and honestly I cannot tell any difference when playing them. Side by side at the range if my focus is only on the shaft, I can tell the 110's are slightly heavier. But actually hitting shots on the course, I really can't tell any difference. I would add I have a smooth transition and swing so that might figure into it and a hard hitter might find more of a difference.

I have an Epon 56-degree wedge with a Recoil Wedge Proto Shaft which is 128 grams (I think) in my bag with the 790s with the SF 95s. Really does not affect my swing or anything. I’m not sensitive to that stuff. More about shaft flex to me. I’m a fast swinger with abrupt transition.

At one point I was worried about going from my X-100 iron shafts (130 gram) to the 95 gram graphite but I got over that quickly. But that was way before the SFs and the 790s.

If anyone is thinking about the 790s and a lighter shaft I’d think about trying one demo club before committing to a set.

I must be one of the few who cannot seem to hit these darn things. I went into my fitting wanting to love the 790's and for some reason just could not hit them very well with any shaft.

Just recently I started to try out driving irons and bought the p790 UDI with Tensei Pro White 100TX and have never been more excited about getting a club. I cannot hit the thing to save my life. I have tried it for a few rounds, some range balls, choked up, with lead tape, nothing I do can make me comfortable with it. Exactly how I felt with the set 6i. I'll have the UDI on BTS tonight as I just can't hit it consistent.

I don't know what it is with me and these heads but I just can't "find it" in my swing. They are stunning looking clubs though.

Check the swing weights of your clubs. I struggled with the P790's when I hit them too. I tend to be very sensitive to swing weights, and I am used to playing irons around D4-D5, but in my experience the P790's play on the light side. I couldn't hit them to save my life. I have the UDI with a Tensei Pro White 90TX. I had to add almost 8 grams to the head to get it back to D0 at 40 inches. I would like to play it at 39.25 inches, but I would have to add a mountain of lead tape to get it to where I want it to be around D4. I bought a 100TX to put in it to help alleviate some of the swing weight issues, but I might just move on from the P790 UDI and try something else. I might go back to my original UDI.

I had tried 5 grams but didn't get the difference I was looking for. I was about to list it but maybe I'll cake on the lead tape and see how much it takes to get the head to feel some weight.

... I am a big believer in clubs should work for you, not the other way around. I hit the Ping LS at the show better than any driver I ever hit on demo day. I didn't like the look and hated the feel/sound, but results were the best I ever experienced so I bought one. On the course without a billion golfers hitting shots all around me the sound was much worse and it still looked terrible at address. First drive was a low hook. I compensated on the next drive and hit a high fade that barely found the right side of the fairway. The rest of the round was more of the same. Perplexed I gave it a second round and again hit it poorly on the front 9 so I switched back to my Fly Z and was back to hitting it well on the back 9. I sold it here because there was a WRX LS Lovefest going on and I didn't lose too much $.

... Now of course the problem was my swing and mental approach, not the LS as I hit it so well at the show demo day, but in the end does it really matter why you hit a club poorly? Sounds like the same thing for you and P790's. If you give a club a decent chance to prove itself and all you get is negative results, there are just too many excellent clubs out there to try and make a square peg fit in a round hole and chip away at your confidence. Ymmv of course ...

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I have an Epon 56-degree wedge with a Recoil Wedge Proto Shaft which is 128 grams (I think) in my bag with the 790s with the SF 95s. Really does not affect my swing or anything. I’m not sensitive to that stuff. More about shaft flex to me. I’m a fast swinger with abrupt transition.

At one point I was worried about going from my X-100 iron shafts (130 gram) to the 95 gram graphite but I got over that quickly. But that was way before the SFs and the 790s.

If anyone is thinking about the 790s and a lighter shaft I’d think about trying one demo club before committing to a set.

I went from Ping Ansers with Modus 120 to the 790s with Nippon 950s. I swing a driver at about 105mph but play clubs at +1" but have a smooth termpo that allows me to use lightweight shafts and wanted a combo that were lighter than the D7 my Pings were at.

I grabbed a set of the dot light headed 790s that are coming in at D2. It did take me a few rounds to get my sequencing adjusted to the lighter shafts but once I did magic started to happen. I actually find mid / high launch and spin shafts work well with the 790 head and my iron play is the best it has been in 20 years, with 14 GIR and mainly 10ft birdie looks in my most recent round.

I've still got the Glide wedges with Modus 120 in the bag - the only issue I find is the transition between wedge and gap wedge, simply because that's a full swing club and the swingweight difference is 6 pts vs D8 gap. Zero issues with sand wedge and lob as the heavier weight is actually better for feel shots.

So I totally agree that you need to demo with lighter shafts, just be prepared to give it a little time if you are dropping materially in weight

I had tried 5 grams but didn't get the difference I was looking for. I was about to list it but maybe I'll cake on the lead tape and see how much it takes to get the head to feel some weight.

... I am a big believer in clubs should work for you, not the other way around. I hit the Ping LS at the show better than any driver I ever hit on demo day. I din't like the look and hated the feel/sound but results were the best I ever experienced so I bought one. One the course without a billion golfers hitting shots all around me the sound was much worse and it still looked bad at address. First drive was a low hook. I compensated on the next drive and hit a high fade that barely found the right side of the fairway. The rest of the round was more of the same. Perplexed I gave it a second round and again hit it poorly for the front 9 so I switched back to my Fly Z and was back to hitting it well. I sold it here because there was a WRX LS Lovefest going on and I didn't lose too much $.

... Now of course the problem was my swing, not the LS as I hit it so well at the show demo day, but in the end does it really matter why you hit a club poorly? Sounds like the same thing for you and P790's. If you give a club a decent chance to prove itself and all you get is negative results, there are just too many excellent clubs out there to try and make a square peg fit in a round hole and chip away at your confidence. Ymmv of course ...

I agree with you 100%. I put 10g of lead tape and can now feel the head in the swing. I will try it again just to see but I'm not sure I want a $325 specific driving iron with lead caked up on the back. Like you said, there are many other options. We'll see. Seems like there are plenty golfers who feel the club different who may have better results.

I will agree with the light feeling but only with the Black heads, the satin ones i had no issues with at all. My local guy fixed them up for me and now they feel like my PSI tours did.

I love them but do not like the UDI version. I love the original UDI.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I think the DG 105 and Modus 120 are pretty similar profile with the butt on the Modus a little bit softer giving it a "soft to flex" feel. I love the Modus in the MMC I'm playing now but get very good results from the DG 105 in the 790 into the monitor.

Not sure if it's the head or not but I was ~3 mph faster with the Modus in my MMC over the DG in the P790. Wondering if I get the same results with the 790 head. Would seem to be the best of both worlds.

Anyone care to share experience or impressions between these two shafts in the P790?

Anyone who's built a set, can you confirm you had these plugs down in the hosel? One says 12, the other 13 but they don't seem to come out.

Thanks,

I pulled my head from my P790 UDI. There is no weight in the bottom of the hosel. I weighed the head and it weighs 229 grams. I will need to add 12 grams to the head to get it to D3 at 40 inches. I will need to add 18 grams to the head to get it to D3 at 39.5 inches.

I might call Taylormade to see if my head is abnormally light.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

I think the DG 105 and Modus 120 are pretty similar profile with the butt on the Modus a little bit softer giving it a "soft to flex" feel. I love the Modus in the MMC I'm playing now but get very good results from the DG 105 in the 790 into the monitor.

Not sure if it's the head or not but I was ~3 mph faster with the Modus in my MMC over the DG in the P790. Wondering if I get the same results with the 790 head. Would seem to be the best of both worlds.

Anyone care to share experience or impressions between these two shafts in the P790?

Anyone who's built a set, can you confirm you had these plugs down in the hosel? One says 12, the other 13 but they don't seem to come out.

Thanks,

Take a look at this thread I started on the Hi Toe Wedges as looks to be the same build set up

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1685548-hi-toe-wedge-shaft-insertion-depth/

Thanks,

Take a look at this thread I started on the Hi Toe Wedges as looks to be the same build set up

http://www.golfwrx.c...nsertion-depth/

Thanks for that. I have all the heads off and they all have some weight in the hosel.

Put these up against the Adams CMB heads I have in the BST and the P790 are consistently 5g heavier through the set which seems about right.

Does anyone have a record of naked head weights to give me a ball park of "std" weight on the 790?

I just moved back to my Srixon Z545 from the P790. Went out and shot my best round of the year. I can't explain it. I like the P790 but I wasn't scoring. I definitely felt like I was around the hole more with my Srixons. I wasn't measuring or really conscience of dispersion gap comparison but felt like I was closer and more dialed in. Plus the ball had a much lower flight so maybe there was something to that.

See ya P790.

I pulled my head from my P790 UDI. There is no weight in the bottom of the hosel. I weighed the head and it weighs 229 grams. I will need to add 12 grams to the head to get it to D3 at 40 inches. I will need to add 18 grams to the head to get it to D3 at 39.5 inches.

Wow! That explains a lot, mine must be the same. I added 10 grams of tape to the head and played it yesterday, absolute rocket launcher. It was 5-10 yards short of my 3 wood. It is still too light but I can load the shaft somewhat now. Anyone know if those hosel weights will work with a graphite shaft?

Please update us with what Taylormade says. Strange that the iron set is weighted but not the UDI.

Sold mine as my dispersion wasn't great. Made a few swing adjustments with my Miuras and have my swing in a much more stable place, the ball just isn't going anywhere. Throwing my buddy's 790s in the bag for a round today after my swing change, will see what happens. If I love them again I might end up buying the black set, lol. Those look DIRTY.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Wow! That explains a lot, mine must be the same. I added 10 grams of tape to the head and played it yesterday, absolute rocket launcher. It was 5-10 yards short of my 3 wood. It is still too light but I can load the shaft somewhat now. Anyone know if those hosel weights will work with a graphite shaft?

Please update us with what Taylormade says. Strange that the iron set is weighted but not the UDI.

The TM hosel weights are a really simple system as they are all the same size but use different density materials to produce different weights. If you look carefully at the photo chch3 posted, you can see that the very bottom of the hosel bore tapers and the idea is that the weight is slightly narrower than the shaft so it will seat further down the hosel than the shaft can reach and wedge in place via the taper.

In theory it would be really easy to achieve the correct swingweights. In practice it is madness that TM have this system yet refuse to build to a known swingweight and there is zero availability of the weight plugs to the public.

It means the TM pros enjoy a great system and the public suffers pure luck as to which of about 20 different available weights (if any) the builder chooses to use

Those tungsten weights look like a bullet head. Seriously thinking about putting a 9mm bullet in the bottom of the hosel as a weight.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

I think the alleged 760 with a thinner top line and no speed foam in the short irons would attract A LOT of people.

I could also see a lot of guys having a combo set of 760 with 790

So, anyone know if there's gonna be a big difference between a 770/790 combo as opposed to a 760/790????? Are the 760s gonna look more like a blade than cavity?? 770 are everywhere right now going for around $300!!!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

What are the 760s?

Aren’t they 770?

Well, there's WRX rumor floating around that TM is gonna release a 760 set... speed foam in the long irons and forged only in the short! Basically a combo 790/770.... maybe?????

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

What are the 760s?

Aren’t they 770?

Well, there's WRX rumor floating around that TM is gonna release a 760 set... speed foam in the long irons and forged only in the short! Basically a combo 790/770.... maybe?????

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

What are the 760s?

Aren’t they 770?

They should name it 780 then.

Combo 750/770 as 760.

730/750 740

Being tmag, They will do this until they run out of numbers.

What are the 760s?

Aren’t they 770?

They should name it 780 then.

Combo 750/770 as 760.

730/750 740

Being tmag, They will do this until they run out of numbers.

But the club model number is the iron’s blade length in millimeters with a zero added to the end. The rumour wasn’t about a mashing of specific existing clubs. It is supposed to be a set with the best attributes of the P790 long irons (a.k.a. distance) combined with fully forged short for precision.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I'm coming to the dark side! Picked up a used set of P790 blacks to compare to my 0311's.

Just paid for a set last night, joining you on the dark side!

Custom KBS C-Taper $ 126 black shafts and black golf pride align grips. Can't wait to have these bad boys within the next week or so!

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Jet Set Newport 2 

I'm coming to the dark side! Picked up a used set of P790 blacks to compare to my 0311's.

Custom KBS C-Taper $ 126 black shafts and black golf pride align grips. Can't wait to have these bad boys within the next week or so!

How many sets is this for you this year? I know you had the regular 790s around the same time I got mine.

Not hating, just jealous of your ability to club ho on level I only wish I could. ;)

How many sets is this for you this year? I know you had the regular 790s around the same time I got mine.

Not hating, just jealous of your ability to club ho on level I only wish I could. ;)

2nd set this year and 3rd set total! I can't stay away from these clubs... Need to update the sig. Was loving my MIuras, just need to work a lot harder with them. A quick swing adjustment has made my ball striking a lot more consistent, so when I went to my buddy's 790s the results were phenomenal. Rounds of 70, 74, 76, 76, 73 and 74. Not flying greens, getting good spin but most importantly just confidence with my irons.

Can't wait for my 3rd and hopefully LAST set! ;)

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Jet Set Newport 2 

790 are my fourth set this year. Im starting to think I have a problem.

Mine too and really considering the Mizuno JPX 919F as well LOL to make it an even 5 sets

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0