2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Titleist 681 MB vs. Mizuno MP14

wacky wombat

So, I’ve never been much of a club ho and I’ve lived vicariously through most of the club hos on here... But I want to change that!

I used to play 712 MBs, bagged 718 CBs this year (and I love them), but I’ve been thinking of putting together a bag of “classics” that can still hold their own today despite the growth of technology.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the 681 MBs vs. Mizuno MP 14? I’ve scoured eBay and the prices can be reasonable, and both are gorgeous. These clubs were before my time (of playing golf), so I’m curious how they stack up today.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the 681's, if you buy make sure they are OEM shafted. The dowels matter.

Not crazy about the #2i MP14 I own nor crazy love for Mizuno's iron in general (like them but no bowled over by them) but I'm a huge fan of their MP metals and NF wedges.

681's are long (at least mine are), MP14's are weak lofted and not so much ( again, at least mine). The Titleist might be the best forged club that OEM ever put out.

You might consider 99 Hogan Apex as well. Excellent stick from that era.

JMO.

I actually picked up a set of 681 Custom Grinds for about $120 yesterday off the sale rack at Golf Galaxy. I hit them on the practice mat and was sticking half my shots within about a five foot radius. They're going in a bag with a 975D diver for a wannabe Tiger 2000 setup.

Unfortunately however, somebody replaced the original shafts with rifles that are about a half inch short. So, that needs to be fixed.

I actually emailed Titleist with the serial number and they got back to me that they'd been shipped with DG S300, and everything else was standard.

Does anyone know if there is there a way to replicate the OEM wooden dowel insert when I re-shaft them?

I actually picked up a set of 681 Custom Grinds for about $120 yesterday off the sale rack at Golf Galaxy. I hit them on the practice mat and was sticking half my shots within about a five foot radius. They're going in a bag with a 975D diver for a wannabe Tiger 2000 setup.

Unfortunately however, somebody replaced the original shafts with rifles that are about a half inch short. So, that needs to be fixed.

I actually emailed Titleist with the serial number and they got back to me that they'd been shipped with DG S300, and everything else was standard.

Does anyone know if there is there a way to replicate the OEM wooden dowel insert when I re-shaft them?

You can do it by purchasing 3/8" hickory dowel rod. Cut it to 2"-2 /14" and then taper grind them on a belt sander(or best turn on a lathe) to attain a force fit (a caliper would be handy here). Key thing is to either drill a thru hole or add a flat or do a half cut with a hack saw in longitudinal fashion. Idea is to have an air cavity to allow for proper seating of shaft. Lastly, soak it in motor oil and allow to dry out a bit. Leave room at end for any weighting you might want to add now or later. FWIW I have Rifles that are factory installed, love the combo.

Additional question: how are the 680’s and 690’s as well? They seem rather similar to the 681.

680's are the best blade ever made and in my opinion.

MP4 and MP29 next

I know a few tour players still game the 680’s. From your experience, what gives them the leg up on others?

Sole grind, feel, (better than 700 series) and a squarer shape with a slightly longer blade length

Worth looking at the Original Nike Blades as well from that era - can be a bit short compared to today's models (at least a club shorter than my VR Pros) but staggeringly easy to launch and feel utterly divine. Still the best looking blade ever imo.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

For me, it's definitely MP-14s. They're iconic. They're also the set that got me started on my blade path, I admit to a small bias, in spite of never having owned thhem, other than a single 2i.

I've never understood the 681 thing. They're essentially a direct copy of Palmer Standards (I've compression them side by side, in hand, with apro who is also a fellow WRXer). Hitting them, I didn't think they were all that fabulous.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

For me, it's definitely MP-14s. They're iconic. They're also the set that got me started on my blade path, I admit to a small bias, in spite of never having owned thhem, other than a single 2i.

I've never understood the 681 thing. They're essentially a direct copy of Palmer Standards (I've compression them side by side, in hand, with apro who is also a fellow WRXer). Hitting them, I didn't think they were all that fabulous.

While I've never hit the MP-14, from an aesthetics standpoint, I can see how they're iconic - they're gorgeous. I'm presuming that's why Mizuno designed and released the MP-29; they wanted to pay homage to a previous design.

I've noticed the MP-14 irons hold their values well. I was looking up other semi-recent Mizzy releases on eBay - the JPX 900 Tour, MP 68, MP 69, MP 5 - and the MP-14's, while much older, are still almost around the same resale price. I'm sure scarcity plays a part in the pricing, but it's incredible to see how well their value has held up. It speaks a lot for the product.

While I've never hit the MP-14, from an aesthetics standpoint, I can see how they're iconic - they're gorgeous. I'm presuming that's why Mizuno designed and released the MP-29; they wanted to pay homage to a previous design.

I've noticed the MP-14 irons hold their values well. I was looking up other semi-recent Mizzy releases on eBay - the JPX 900 Tour, MP 68, MP 69, MP 5 - and the MP-14's, while much older, are still almost around the same resale price. I'm sure scarcity plays a part in the pricing, but it's incredible to see how well their value has held up. It speaks a lot for the product.

MP-14s and MP-29s were actually concurrent products, they were produced at the same time. The 14s were billed as higher trajectory, and the 29s as lower trajectory, back in the day. Considering the CG location of the 14s, and the 2* loft difference between the sets, not surprising. :)

The MS-11/MP-11's were even more well thought of than the 14s or 29s, in the late 90s and early 2000s. Not as well known, though, thanks to Tiger's 97 Masters performance, LOL.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Ha, I'll bite :)

I've never even seen or heard of Palmer Standards, I'm sure their pretty good if Arnie used them but pictures just show them to be thin soled, high muscle blades, much like the 681 or many others too. But that to me is the appeal, thin sole, w/ a high and linear muscle, my Maruman's are this, in some sense the 99 Hogan's and so are my Greg Norman Cobra's. This aspect elevates all 4 in my collection as my favorites. Their window of launch and accuracy of line surpass other blades I own. MP-14's are surprisingly similar to 681 but their mass is set lower. FG 59's are beauties but they are also have a lower COG with their gorgeous booty. But I do better with a 681 type of mass. That and the 681even by MB standards comes in as a heavy stick. Only my TM92 Australians surpass them in overall weight. Honestly took me a long time to adjust to them and maybe your 'meh' is that you swung them a couple of times, because at first I felt the same. Then I worked a bit with it and one day I hit the practice flag stick at 125 yards, then I did it again the next session. From there I went all in and found them to be incredibly accurate and longer by 6-7 yards through the set. I bag the Maruman's now and for reason that I want to preserve the 681's & my Cobra's, but the SZ 's are only club that match the combined excellence of distance and accuracy the 681's possess.

Lofts of 681 and 14’s are similar if not the same. As mentioned the 681’s had the high muscle. The biggest factor for me is the constant low offset of the 681’s vs the progressive significant offset of the 14’s. I never got along well with the 14’s for this reason. At that time they weren’t trying to hide the offset either. For my money the 681’s are the clear winners. I wish I still had my old set, but they were stolen many years ago.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

Ha, I'll bite :)

I've never even seen or heard of Palmer Standards, I'm sure their pretty good if Arnie used them but pictures just show them to be thin soled, high muscle blades, much like the 681 or many others too. But that to me is the appeal, thin sole, w/ a high and linear muscle, my Maruman's are this, in some sense the 99 Hogan's and so are my Greg Norman Cobra's. This aspect elevates all 4 in my collection as my favorites. Their window of launch and accuracy of line surpass other blades I own. MP-14's are surprisingly similar to 681 but their mass is set lower. FG 59's are beauties but they are also have a lower COG with their gorgeous booty. But I do better with a 681 type of mass. That and the 681even by MB standards comes in as a heavy stick. Only my TM92 Australians surpass them in overall weight. Honestly took me a long time to adjust to them and maybe your 'meh' is that you swung them a couple of times, because at first I felt the same. Then I worked a bit with it and one day I hit the practice flag stick at 125 yards, then I did it again the next session. From there I went all in and found them to be incredibly accurate and longer by 6-7 yards through the set. I bag the Maruman's now and for reason that I want to preserve the 681's & my Cobra's, but the SZ 's are only club that match the combined excellence of distance and accuracy the 681's possess.

The Palmer Standards were made by Pro Group, which became Palmer Golf eventually. They also produced First Flight clubs. The initial Standards were in 1978, and sold with both/either Palmer or First Flight branding. After a time, First Flight was ceased.

In 85 the Standard was changed to a larger clubhead "scotch blade" with no defined muscle. Flat backpad.

In 87, Palmer went back to the earlier shape for the Standard blade, though they squared the edges on the back of the muscle a bit. These were the set with Arnie's signature on the backpad.

I've owned all three, they were all surprisingly forgiving. Maybe not so surprising with the 85 Standard, knowing what a larger clubhead will do to MOI. ;) I also regret not keeping at least one of them.

A couple things about them: they were parallel shafted, with pinned shafts. The sets also had a rep for excellent QC, coming in with consistent and on target weighting.

Love the pinned hosel thing, it's the reason I got the TM92's. I've caught a lot of snark for this but weight setup is huge factor for appeal of irons. The 681 and Mac Cobra's are the only retail sets I've come by with a spec of holding 4 grams between each iron from top to bottom. Most spec out at 7 gram differential. Have and had 2 sets that were "made for pro" and they shared same thing. Lower differential.Once I acclimated to them, I'll never go back to anything set more than 4 grams nominally. Ever.

Couple Palmer Standard pics from Ironfinder, the 78 Standards, then the Original Standards.

If anyone might care. :)

260_A.jpg

901_A.jpg

MP-14s and MP-29s were actually concurrent products, they were produced at the same time. The 14s were billed as higher trajectory, and the 29s as lower trajectory, back in the day. Considering the CG location of the 14s, and the 2* loft difference between the sets, not surprising. :)

The MS-11/MP-11's were even more well thought of than the 14s or 29s, in the late 90s and early 2000s. Not as well known, though, thanks to Tiger's 97 Masters performance, LOL.

Wow. I had no idea they were concurrent - especially given the numbers associated to them - but makes complete sense. I can see why the 14's were the more popular set!

I agree. I LOVED the 680s, but the 681s were very average for me. On the other hand, I could happily game the MP14s to this day.

Lofts of 681 and 14’s are similar if not the same. As mentioned the 681’s had the high muscle. The biggest factor for me is the constant low offset of the 681’s vs the progressive significant offset of the 14’s. I never got along well with the 14’s for this reason. At that time they weren’t trying to hide the offset either. For my money the 681’s are the clear winners. I wish I still had my old set, but they were stolen many years ago.

Agree with this. Too similar to call different. All comes down to offset. My all time favorite set is the 681 tour Proto set I own that is worn out .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

a friend has a set of 680's he might sell if anyone is interested pm me, hope this is okay to post

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Significant offset. Imagine, if you will, an emoji that is both full of mockery, minor scorn, and one middle finger.....significant offset......

Ps. I hope you shank your next drive into you wifes nuts.

having played 14's for a long time and then "finally" getting a set of Mp-29 in their last year of production I was so disappointed to find that the soles and bounce angles required a much cleaner interaction with the turf than I was able to deliver, this is when I was a single digit handicap and my iron game was my strength.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

So, I’ve never been much of a club ho and I’ve lived vicariously through most of the club hos on here... But I want to change that!

I used to play 712 MBs, bagged 718 CBs this year (and I love them), but I’ve been thinking of putting together a bag of “classics” that can still hold their own today despite the growth of technology.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the 681 MBs vs. Mizuno MP 14? I’ve scoured eBay and the prices can be reasonable, and both are gorgeous. These clubs were before my time (of playing golf), so I’m curious how they stack up today.

14's over the 681's in my opinion, but the '99 Apex were forgiving and felt awesome. Also the V-Foil blades were awesome

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

Significant offset. Imagine, if you will, an emoji that is both full of mockery, minor scorn, and one middle finger.....significant offset......

Ps. I hope you shank your next drive into you wifes nuts.

Same to you sir!!!

Ps. Tell your wife I’m sorry, and it’s nothing personal. Eye for an eye, and all that jazz.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto