Maltby TS2

Popeye64

I'm confused as to how the MPF system works. I currently play xtd Forged and those are rated 399 but the TS1, TS2 are rated 700+. Should I expect these are easier to hit than my current set?

I understand this sounds like a noob question but I guess I'm just more curious how these would be for me coming from the XTD Forged set. Because man I love the look of both clubs.

As a guess both the TS1 and TS2 will launch higher with a comparable shaft than your XTDs. The TS2 will be equally forgiving on off center strikes (distance loss, direction, etc...). The TS1 will be slightly less forgiving given the lower MOI and has the most compact head (visually that causes some folks cocern - others love the look). Not having played any of the clubs, I can't say much about turf interaction.

I still love my MMBs. Dont think you could get me to swap. Partially due to the jacked lofts of the ts1
I went from MMB's to the TS2 and the swap was seamless. I made notes on the distances in the simulator,, took it straight to the course and I have not missed a beat

Yah see im a 3 wedge guy snd lofts like that wpuld require a 4th. And i have no room to drop any clubs. All have a good use right now.

I'm using the TS-2 gap wedge and then my 56 and a 60. I see what your concern was and I thought that as well. But so far I have no gaps that a 3/4 swing doesn't cover. But that's how I like to swing the lower lofted clubs. The transition is easier than people make it out to be.

I'm confused as to how the MPF system works. I currently play xtd Forged and those are rated 399 but the TS1, TS2 are rated 700+. Should I expect these are easier to hit than my current set?

I understand this sounds like a noob question but I guess I'm just more curious how these would be for me coming from the XTD Forged set. Because man I love the look of both clubs.

http://ralphmaltby.com/understanding-the-malby-playability-factor-mpf-for-irons/

This might help you.

I still love my MMBs. Dont think you could get me to swap. Partially due to the jacked lofts of the ts1
I went from MMB's to the TS2 and the swap was seamless. I made notes on the distances in the simulator,, took it straight to the course and I have not missed a beat

Yah see im a 3 wedge guy snd lofts like that wpuld require a 4th. And i have no room to drop any clubs. All have a good use right now.

I'm using the TS-2 gap wedge and then my 56 and a 60. I see what your concern was and I thought that as well. But so far I have no gaps that a 3/4 swing doesn't cover. But that's how I like to swing the lower lofted clubs. The transition is easier than people make it out to be.

Yah i dont carry a GW.

I go driver 3w 5w 3udi 4-PW 54 60. My PW is bent to 48*

Yah i dont carry a GW.

I go driver 3w 5w 3udi 4-PW 54 60. My PW is bent to 48*

Dont you find the 5w and the 3 udi kind of do the same job.

Went to a better range with real grass and better balls. I pounded balls till my hands hurt and a clear favorite is emerging. It's not the one I thought it would be either.

The TS-2 gives a level of confidence that just can't be over looked. It gets through the turf a little easier. Has a dispersion level that borders on ridiculous and with a feel as if I cant hit a bad shot. Most importantly I simply bomb the flag with them. For feel between the two,, early results lean to the TS-2 also. It's a small difference but I like the TS-2 better.

They are both great and I think quite a few will really struggle with which one to buy. I dont think either is a bad choice. I'll update with some oncourse and sim data when I can.

• Like 1

Your Xtd forged have a sweet-spot height of .840", which coincidentally happens to be the same height as the center of a golf ball. Solid contact in the "vertical aspect" of impact, happens from getting the sweet-spot (COG) of the head at or below the center of the ball....

Most players have an easier time doing this, with a sweet-spot that is lower than the center of a ball,....so in the MPF more points are given to heads that have an Actual Vertical COG that is lower than .840".

The Ts-2 is .796" and the Ts-1 is .750". So these have more room to work with "vertically", which will show up most from tighter lies (not teed up).

Your Xtd's have a horizontal COG position of 1.196". This is called C-dimension in the MPF. The Ts-2 is 1.468"....

Any impact on the toe side of the sweet-spot will twist the head more than those hit inside of it or heel side. So the Ts-2 has more horizontal face area to work with between the edge of the hosel and the sweet-spot (COG) for relatively solid contact.

So in the MPF the Maltby's received a much higher score because they have more room to work with lower on the face and more to work with horizontally as well. Mainly because of these two factors, they consider these easier to hit and therefore "more playable" for most players

WOW TS1 looks good!

I hope they have a club pak with dynamic golds... or maybe I don't because I will end up buying them ASAP

Get the credit card out :)

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts-1-forged-iron-pak-tt-dynamic-gold/p/pma0293dg/

or

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts-1-forged-iron-pak-tt-dynamic-gold-105/p/pma0293dg5/

Popeye,

How is the course you play at? Tightly mown fairways? And do you think the slightly wider sole of the ts2 helps because of your swing? Are you a digger or picker? I'm looking at both sets of these, but don't want to make a combo set anymore. I would have either set made with a 47 wedge, and gap from there. I currently play Adam's cmb, and love the clubs!! Just don't practice as much as I used to when I got to scratch. Thinking the ts2 could fix a few of my swings each round. Thoughts?

Your Xtd forged have a sweet-spot height of .840", which coincidentally happens to be the same height as the center of a golf ball. Solid contact in the "vertical aspect" of impact, happens from getting the sweet-spot (COG) of the head at or below the center of the ball....

Most players have an easier time doing this, with a sweet-spot that is lower than the center of a ball,....so in the MPF more points are given to heads that have an Actual Vertical COG that is lower than .840".

The Ts-2 is .796" and the Ts-1 is .750". So these have more room to work with "vertically", which will show up most from tighter lies (not teed up).

Your Xtd's have a horizontal COG position of 1.196". This is called C-dimension in the MPF. The Ts-2 is 1.468"....

Any impact on the toe side of the sweet-spot will twist the head more than those hit inside of it or heel side. So the Ts-2 has more horizontal face area to work with between the edge of the hosel and the sweet-spot (COG) for relatively solid contact.

So in the MPF the Maltby's received a much higher score because they have more room to work with lower on the face and more to work with horizontally as well. Mainly because of these two factors, they consider these easier to hit and therefore "more playable" for most players

Thanks. Makes perfect sense.

Popeye,

How is the course you play at? Tightly mown fairways? And do you think the slightly wider sole of the ts2 helps because of your swing? Are you a digger or picker? I'm looking at both sets of these, but don't want to make a combo set anymore. I would have either set made with a 47 wedge, and gap from there. I currently play Adam's cmb, and love the clubs!! Just don't practice as much as I used to when I got to scratch. Thinking the ts2 could fix a few of my swings each round. Thoughts?

I am definitely a digger. I play public courses and sometimes the turf isnt very lush to say the least,, more than likely it's a tight hardpan lie. On a great course where you can take a clean divot the TS-1 might be the ticket. But that's not to say the TS-2 is a slouch. I just think the 2 is a better all around club with just enough forgiveness.

I look at what my son inlaw did with the TS-2 playing once a year and never swinging the clubs at all before the start of the round. By the end of the round he had those dialed in and was begging for a set. He said a few times how much confidence he had and also how easy they were to play compared to his clubs. I'm not so sure he would have been in love with the TS-1s. Long story short if you need some help go with the TS-2

Dont you find the 5w and the 3 udi kind of do the same job.

Not even close for me.

My 5w is a good 15y+longer goes high and lands soft. About 225 to 230 carry. Not soo good from the rough.

My 3udi is about a good 207y carry but will run on me if i want it to. Especially when dry. I can hit low stingers and shape this bad boy very easily. Great from all lies.

MMBs for life. Just for the simple reason of loft. I refuse to play any set of clubs where the PW is weaker then 47*. If not it needs to be able to be bent to 47 preferably 48.

Or if the clubs were super jacked (like the ts2 or ap1s etc) id game a 5-GW and just call it 4-PW

What is the most comparable big box head to the ts2, I500? Cobra forge tec?

I'm very interested in these and going to do an iron fitting at club champion and likely use those shaft recs to order a set of ts1 or ts2.

They are really unique in the forged urethane head line. The TS-1 is more i500 and p790.

Had the TS-1 out on the course today and with real balls it played and felt like a different iron. My wallet might not like how I feel about them.

Shot for shot against the TS-2 they play maybe a half club shorter at the most and with a little less offset,, which is more perceived than the actual value,, they played extremely well. Easy to keep on target, as well as controlling distance. They bite into the green a little better than the 2s as they fly the ball in a bit higher. Every ball was right beside the ball mark on the PW. The 7i was within two feet or less.

I found the PW very easy to flight down or really hoist it up high. Playing 3/4 shots and shaping the ball was easier to do than the 2s.

On course the TS-1 felt a lot better but still not as soft as the 2s. They take more turf as to be expected but it's not excessive and I tend to take a big divot.

I may play a combined set as I get a little more playing time with the TS-1 but that might just be a few of them. There really isnt a big need to and I would be quite happy with all TS-2 clubs.

Had the TS-1 out on the course today and with real balls it played and felt like a different iron. My wallet might not like how I feel about them.

Shot for shot against the TS-2 they play maybe a half club shorter at the most and with a little less offset,, which is more perceived than the actual value,, they played extremely well. Easy to keep on target, as well as controlling distance. They bite into the green a little better than the 2s as they fly the ball in a bit higher. Every ball was right beside the ball mark on the PW. The 7i was within two feet or less.

I found the PW very easy to flight down or really hoist it up high. Playing 3/4 shots and shaping the ball was easier to do than the 2s.

On course the TS-1 felt a lot better but still not as soft as the 2s. They take more turf as to be expected but it's not excessive and I tend to take a big divot.

I may play a combined set as I get a little more playing time with the TS-1 but that might just be a few of them. There really isnt a big need to and I would be quite happy with all TS-2 clubs.

Good stuff Popeye. Appreciate all feedback on these. I was thinking about a combo set as well. Would you have lofts adjusted to blend properly?

After being very comfortable with the irons I would get on the simulator and look at all the gaps. Then tweak what was necessary. I really domt think I would adjust the whole set weak or strong to match up but just a few to close things up.

Good stuff Popeye. Appreciate all feedback on these. I was thinking about a combo set as well. Would you have lofts adjusted to blend properly?

Popeye, were you able to get swingweights with the TS-1 irons? I have a set of NS Pro 950's I'd like to stick these heads onto, but my calculations show that I'd be in the C7-C8 range without adding any extra weight.

The NS Pros (Stiff) are 103 grams which are the same as or close to your DG 105s (103 grams for .355 stiff, 107 grams for .370 stiff). Not sure which shaft you put in these heads since they take both parallel and tapered.

The TS-1 heads are 6 grams lighter than the current iron heads I have on these shafts (KZG Evolution) which may make getting to D2 a bit of a challenge.

Seriously considering grabbing a set of Maltby's for my next irons. Just not sure which might be the best fit for me as a 15 cap. My miss is typically toe or thin, and with my current AP1 714s (reg flex, stock XP95 shaft) I tend to hit a high draw.

Looking at PTM, TE or, after reading this thread, maybe TS-2, though I wonder if the TS-2 might be too unforgiving for me as a 15.

Any thoughts/recommendations from people more experienced with each of those offerings?

Thanks

Seriously considering grabbing a set of Maltby's for my next irons. Just not sure which might be the best fit for me as a 15 cap. My miss is typically toe or thin, and with my current AP1 714s (reg flex, stock XP95 shaft) I tend to hit a high draw.

Looking at PTM, TE or, after reading this thread, maybe TS-2, though I wonder if the TS-2 might be too unforgiving for me as a 15.

Any thoughts/recommendations from people more experienced with each of those offerings?

Thanks

From Popeye's reviews, I think the TS2 will be perfect for you.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Thanks

Don't have an official hcp but probably around a 13/14, Like you my misses are thin and often times toward the toe. Presently, I have the TEs (last 2 years). They are very forgiving for thin shots (I'm more of a sweeper than digger). Highly recommend them. When flushed. they feel fantastic ! That being said, I've been looking at the PTMs. Have not hit them but understand they may be slightly more forgiving than the TEs.

15 hcp

Thanks

Don't have an official hcp but probably around a 13/14, Like you my misses are thin and often times toward the toe. Presently, I have the TEs (last 2 years). They are very forgiving for thin shots (I'm more of a sweeper than digger). Highly recommend them. When flushed. they feel fantastic ! That being said, I've been looking at the PTMs. Have not hit them but understand they may be slightly more forgiving than the TEs.

I'm a sweeper too so good to know! Saw a set of TEs on the bay the other day for $100, which included wedges and a hybrid! Were even 1 deg flat too, which is my lie. Knew I should have jumped on them when I had the chance as they're long gone now :/

Thanks

I would be reluctant to switch from the TE/DBM design, since you are a sweeper. With their sweet-spot (Actual VCOG) being one of the lowest available, you'll be hard pressed to find something more efficient for your angle of attack.

Not that that the PTM's are high, at .750".... but the TE's are at .675"

Popeye, were you able to get swingweights with the TS-1 irons? I have a set of NS Pro 950's I'd like to stick these heads onto, but my calculations show that I'd be in the C7-C8 range without adding any extra weight.

The NS Pros (Stiff) are 103 grams which are the same as or close to your DG 105s (103 grams for .355 stiff, 107 grams for .370 stiff). Not sure which shaft you put in these heads since they take both parallel and tapered.

The TS-1 heads are 6 grams lighter than the current iron heads I have on these shafts (KZG Evolution) which may make getting to D2 a bit of a challenge.

I'll weigh them tonight

Thanks

I have spent quite a bit of time with all of the current Maltby heads and have all of them on hand. The TS-2 for me has fallen into that spot where I feel as if I cant hit a bad shot. Hit it thin or out on the toe and it still works out ok. Flush it and it's all over the flag. They like to go straight!!!! Working the ball takes some effort but it can be done. As a 15 HP i would say that if the budget is tight go with the PTM. The PTM has a lot of modern tech to them and are very forgiving with excellent feel. The DBM TE is a timeless classic that wont come out of a lot of guys bags ever.

If the budget allows grab the TS-2s. It's the best all around head Maltby has ever done and it's not even close.

I played 18 today and came out of the tee box so that I could play the TS-1 PW or the 7i into the hole for the from 9. On the back I forgot they were in the bag and just played as I normally would.

On the front I had some spectacular shots into the green and a few that were just a bit off the mark but nothing more than just off the green. With the smaller head that little bit of doubt creeps in. I'm sure some more playing time would erase that but the forgiveness that the TS-2 gives me makes me miss them.

On the back 9 I was stepping up to the ball with confidence no matter what the lie was. That slightly wider sole makes quite a difference,, I was swinging with out any doubt or worry for the result. I stuck the flag on nearly every green and was rarely more than 8' out. A few were inside of 6'. ( I CANT SINK A PUTT IF MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT LATELY). On 3 different shots I honestly thought it was going in on the fly. It was a solid -1 for 18 today,, held back by a two way miss driver swing.

Let me see if I can explain the difference between the TS-1 and the TS-2. The TS-1 is the hot sister that everyone is chasing. She wears a bikini in the grocery store, can have some attitude at times, knows she is hot and might be banging your best friend.

The TS-2 wears a pencil skirt and a low cut button down shirt with big rimmed glasses. She is hot in a different way. She cooks, she cleans and she earns good money. She also is a closet freak. Enough said...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1