North Jersey affordable private club options?

NYCTUFan

Good afternoon everyone. I’m a newbie looking for some feedback from you all. I’ll start by saying I’m looking for Unicorn, an affordable private club option in Northern New Jersey for someone who doesn’t qualify for a junior membership. Suggestions and feedback are welcome, I’m looking for the following:

• 40 miles or less, 45 minutes or less from Montclair.
  • 100% private, no semi private.
  • Under $5000 per year.
  • Course that’s a solid test of golf for a single digit handicap with a great practice facility.
  • No Initiation, bond, or food and beverage minimum.
  • Sub 4.5 hour rounds.
  • Allows walking with a push cart.
  • Good competitive group who like to play for a couple of bucks (nothing crazy, a $5 or $10 Nassau to keep things interesting).

I play primarily at Neshanic Valley so i'm looking for conditions at least on par with that.

I looked at the private course at Royce Brook, it’s over $6,000 and a solid hour ride.

Forsgate is close an hour drive as well, but if the cost was right I’d consider it.

I’ve looked at New Jersey National. It pretty much checks all the boxes with the exception of cost, it’s pushing $9000 annually.

I checked out Forest Hill Club last season but they were looking for a fairly sizable initiation fee.

From some other posts on here it looks like Glenwood Country Club is an option, but I know nothing about the club or layout. I know the hold the NJSGA Open qualifier there so I’m guessing it must be a decent layout?

I’m interested in hearing club suggestions as well as some feedback on Glenwood.

Thanks.

What don't you like about Neshanic? It's a great course with very nice practice facilities.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Ping Tour 65s - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

Ping G425 19* 3H - Ping Tour 85s - 39.5 in.
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

What don't you like about Neshanic? It's a great course with very nice practice facilities.

I love Neshanic, it’s an amazing golf course, the problem is it’s a solid hour drive and coming home on the weekends in the summer it’s longer than that. Also I’m looking for more of a private club feel. I want to be able to go by after work on a weekday, hit balls for an hour, then go play 4 or 5 holes. At Neshanic I’m paying for a full greens fee so I have a tough time just playing a handful of holes.

That's a big ask for under $5k. If you can push slightly above that, I think Basking Ridge has some alternative options that may work for him. Probably similar to NJ National. Definitely let me know if you come up with something.

Under 5K is definitely a big ask, 2 kids in college will do that. I’m not looking for a fancy clubhouse or grill, just a place to change my shoes and have a cigar and a drink after the round. I’m looking for a bare bones golf club with a solid layout, not necessarily a fancy country club.

I’ll keep you posted on my findings.

Agree with being a big ask, probably too big.

With Basking Ridge you won’t get a “great” practice facility, irons only..and always off matts, only about 12 stalls, and is in the middle of the course pretty much. And again not a grass range. If you play basking ridge in the afternoon you’ll be there about 5 hours. Local high schools play matches in season there and if your behind that, well, your done.

NJ National has an “ok” range but is always “matts only” and is straight down hill. Course is ok, decent conditions but not an easy walk unless your in pretty good shape. Btw, they don’t cut the grass Tuesday’s.

Glenwood is in good shape only about 5 days a year and the range is small but is grass, albeit not “Neshanic” grass. Lots of weeds actually. Clubhouse is more like an old Elks lodge..

Forest hill is a quirky track, but the greens are really good. Range is irons only an on matts 90% of the year. Good bunch of guys but the games are a bit more than $5 if you know what I mean,...

You may want to prioritize your wish list and rank what is most important and what’s not so much. If there’s a good range by you, maybe you can find a club which has little or no range but get some of the other things your looking for.

Your looking for $20k of value at a fraction of the price. Admirable for sure but probably not realistic in the north jersey market.

Another concern is if you find all your looking for, it’s probably going to be packed with guys just like yourself so that 4.5 hr round may become an issue...

$5k in central / north jersey is really a tough one, especially if your not under 35 years old... best of luck on your search...

You’ve basically described Glenwood to a T. Strong challenging design, 7000 and penal from the tips. Never need a tee time. Range included. Clubhouse is very basic. Hot dogs, sandwiches. Bar has taken a step up the past couple years with more than just coors and Bud on tap. No pool, no tennis. Just golf. What you describe abotbthe afternoon is exactly right. Hit balls for 45 min and then play a 4-5 hole loop. It’s almost always empty weekend afternoons. Conditions depend on Mother Nature. At that price (under 5k) the maintenance budget isn’t huge. Comes and goes through the season. Gets real nice around the state open qualifier and our club championship. Let me know if you have more questions. I’ve played there for 20+ years going back to working the cart barn as a kid, now a member.

No way what the OP wants exists in a private club within 45 minutes of Montclair other than Glenwood. If it did, there would be a 20 year long wait list. The $5,000 max dues for a non-junior, no initiation, and push carts allowed kills it.

The only thing I can think of just outside of that range would be Oak Hill in Milford, but that is going to be well over an hour from Montclair. Little to no initiation, dues MIGHT be in the ballpark of $5k, push carts allowed, quick rounds/not a ton of play but several real dull holes and maintenance is nothing special in recent years. Even at the private clubs just over the border in PA you are going to be well over $5k/yr.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. Like i said, i knew i was looking for a Unicorn.

I’m going to check out Glenwood but I’m getting the feeling there is a pretty good chance I will end up playing the 2019 season out of Neshanic Valley, which all things considered is not a bad thing.

I think the game plan is get the kids through 2 more years of college then look to pay 15K – 40K bond and $1000 a month at one of the private clubs within 15 minutes of my house so I can take full advantage of the club lifestyle.

I haven’t looked into the numbers yet because I know even a good deal will be out of my price range at this point, but can anyone shed some light on the bond, dues, initiation fee, etc for Montclair GC, Essex Fells CC, Upper Montclair GC, Essex County CC, Mountain Ridge, or Greenbrook?

Thanks again for the insight.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. Like i said, i knew i was looking for a Unicorn.

I’m going to check out Glenwood but I’m getting the feeling there is a pretty good chance I will end up playing the 2019 season out of Neshanic Valley, which all things considered is not a bad thing.

I think the game plan is get the kids through 2 more years of college then look to pay 15K – 40K bond and $1000 a month at one of the private clubs within 15 minutes of my house so I can take full advantage of the club lifestyle.

I haven’t looked into the numbers yet because I know even a good deal will be out of my price range at this point, but can anyone shed some light on the bond, dues, initiation fee, etc for Montclair GC, Essex Fells CC, Upper Montclair GC, Essex County CC, Mountain Ridge, or Greenbrook?

shoot me a PM for insight on those upper tier clubs you referenced above (essex, montclair etc)

Essex County may work but your dues will be over $1,000 a month when you factor in carts/caddies, food/beverage, etc.

NJ National is a great deal if you are looking for a place where you can walk and carry your own bag and all.

Green Brook is an excellent golf course but they are rather pricey as well.

Mountain Ridge I believe is predominately a Jewish club, so if you are not Jewish, it may be very hard for you, Plus there initiation and dues are very high.

Check out Metuchen Golf & Country Club. Very nice course and reasonable dues. There is no true range though but the course is great, nice clubhouse and the members are awesome.

Black Oak in Morris County is supposed to be great. They just opened a new clubhouse and it is strictly golf. I would look there too.

Good luck with your search!

Essex County may work but your dues will be over $1,000 a month when you factor in carts/caddies, food/beverage, etc.

NJ National is a great deal if you are looking for a place where you can walk and carry your own bag and all.

Mountain Ridge I believe is predominately a Jewish club, so if you are not Jewish, it may be very hard for you, Plus there initiation and dues are very high.

Check out Metuchen Golf & Country Club. Very nice course and reasonable dues. There is no true range though but the course is great, nice clubhouse and the members are awesome.

Black Oak in Morris County is supposed to be great. They just opened a new clubhouse and it is strictly golf. I would look there too.

Thanks, I’m definitely going to check out Black Oak and Metuchen.

Thanks, I’m definitely going to check out Black Oak and Metuchen.

I like Black Oak a lot, but you really can't walk. It's got to be at least half a mile from the first hole to the second.

Do they even permit walking at black oak? I played there once a few years ago through boxgroove and saw no caddies / walkers / push carts. Agreed it’s not a very walkable course

No caddies at Black Oak. Not walk-able by most humans and I'm not sure they allow it anyway, has lost 8/18 greens this year and recently fired the superintendent...

Most mid tier and up clubs do not allow push carts and only allow walking after certain peak hours..Look before you jump...;)

i see someone mentioned privates right over the pa line, which pa line sussex county80,15,206) or warren(78) if you know some post them up.

The closest privates along the Warren/78 corridor just into PA are Northampton CC in Easton and the Steel Club (formerly Silver Creek CC) in Hellertown. They are probably 15 minutes or less from the tollbooths on the border. Both are easy to walk courses usually in great condition. But non-junior dues and fees at either will be well in excess of the $5k that OP is looking for. Steel Club is under new ownership that is trying to modernize the facilities, has a pretty laid back ambiance, and they are eager for new members. No restrictions on push carts or walking at Steel Club though I believe carts are included in the dues. I think Northampton allows walking pretty much anytime but you have to pay a "trail fee" during prime time.

My understanding up on the Sussex/80 into PA corridor, there aren't many private courses left up there if at all. I think most like Great Bear, Pocono Farms, CC of Poconos, etc. went semi-private or full public a few years ago.

Give Stanton Ridge a look as well. Might be on the far side but near budget and a real hidden gem. Glenwood is trash IMO. I know they have a state open qualifier, but the course layout is genuinely just not fun. Nothing interesting about the course just a lot of really tight fairways and a couple blind shots that make it difficult unless you know the place.

Another course to consider would be Panther Valley

Give Stanton Ridge a look as well. Might be on the far side but near budget and a real hidden gem. Glenwood is trash IMO. I know they have a state open qualifier, but the course layout is genuinely just not fun. Nothing interesting about the course just a lot of really tight fairways and a couple blind shots that make it difficult unless you know the place.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve played Stanton Ridge, it’s a great course. The problem is it’s over 50 miles from me and an hour with no traffic, so it’s another one that I’m afraid I’m just not going to play enough. Panther Valley is a little closer but still a pretty good ride.

I’ve come to the realization that what I’m looking for is pretty much nonexistent, at least at the level I’m looking for. Its ok, Neshanic Valley will be a fine home for the next 18 months until I send the kids final college tuition payment. At that time I’ll take a look at the clubs closer to my home and make a choice, Essex Fells CC, Montclair GC, Forest Hill and Essex County CC.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve played Stanton Ridge, it’s a great course. The problem is it’s over 50 miles from me and an hour with no traffic, so it’s another one that I’m afraid I’m just not going to play enough. Panther Valley is a little closer but still a pretty good ride.

I’ve come to the realization that what I’m looking for is pretty much nonexistent, at least at the level I’m looking for. Its ok, Neshanic Valley will be a fine home for the next 18 months until I send the kids final college tuition payment. At that time I’ll take a look at the clubs closer to my home and make a choice, Essex Fells CC, Montclair GC, Forest Hill and Essex County CC.

I just played Essex Fells in a NJ Member Golf Day. Not a long course, but if you are not accurate or can't putt, it is a struggle. The clubhouse is very old.

Montclair GC purchased Rock Spring a few years ago so you get 54 holes. Rock Spring is an excellent course and I found more enjoyable than Essex Fells.

Good luck in your search!

UMCC is 3 solid 9's and a really good group of guys. I have played there quite a bit with a couple of members. Clubhouse is undergoing a full renovation and will be done by the time you are looking. They are going to have a really nice 2nd floor outdoor bar overlooking the 9th hole and the pond where they have the island green competition during outings. Definitely something to look into if it is within your price range.

UMCC has a $12,500 initiation plus $10,500 annual dues.

Also locker fee, $1000 food minimum per year, and about $275 in miscellaneous service fees...

Pretty sure that blows the OP budget..

Gotcha. I only know junior members and it isn't even close to that amount. Sorry

the rumblings above on UMCC are inaccurate at least for initiation, according to my sources. my sources include someone very close to me who's above 50 and looked into membership there w/in last 12 months. regardless it blows away the OP's budget, but it's also quite common for junior members to pay less in monthly's and pay down the initation over years interest free. also worth noting that the club financials change often year to year, so what gmoney & wander bread are debating may have been spot on as of last year or what not.

the rumblings above on UMCC are inaccurate at least for initiation, according to my sources. my sources include someone very close to me who's above 50 and looked into membership there w/in last 12 months. regardless it blows away the OP's budget, but it's also quite common for junior members to pay less in monthly's and pay down the initation over years interest free. also worth noting that the club financials change often year to year, so what gmoney & wander bread are debating may have been spot on as of last year or what not.

Playing member guest there tomorrow so can try and find out some additional details about price but most likely well out of OP range as others stated

I have the UMCC membership information in my hands given to me 3 weeks ago by the membership director...maybe they have been update since then..

the numbers are correct. These are dues only, not including initiation or monthly and yearly dues.Also they have a pretty elaborate interview process outlined in this package.

Junior dues are as follows and are by age of member..

18-28 yrs old, $4100

29-32 $5212

33-34 $7297

38-39 $8340

40+ $10425

For the record and noteworthy when thinking about joining a higher end private club.

Theses fees are billed yearly:

Club storage and range use $205

Mens locker fee $125

Mens prize fund $75

Mens hole in one $15

The following are billed monthly:

Club service charge $40

Capitol reserve $30

Master Plan $160

Mens locker renovation $16 per mth thru Oct 2018

Same number for the ladies..

Junior initiation fees are:

18-28 $3000

29-32 $5000

33-34 $8000

35-39 $10,000

40+ $12,500

Great deal if your under 30 with no kids....

Private golf ain't cheap....

I am most likely joining MGC next year but looked at UMCC and have a good friend that is a member. The regular rate is less but from what I remember but not that significantly less.

For me, the junior pricing at MGC is significantly less and almost a no brainer.

They have 6 different 9's at this point. Definitely interested in checking this out as well.

I am most likely joining MGC next year but looked at UMCC and have a good friend that is a member. The regular rate is less but from what I remember but not that significantly less.

For me, the junior pricing at MGC is significantly less and almost a no brainer.

What is MGC ? Interested in affordable junior/intermediate options in similar area.