How do you feel about "long putter's"...?

How on Gods green earth did a ruling body ban anchored putters based on that?

Anchored putters are not banned.

Yes, they are. Think about it for a minute.

Lay off the vodka, comrade.

Anchored putters** are banned-long putters are ok. And that is certainly ok by me.

** Yes yes we know-not the putter itself. Hence the "long putters are ok part.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Long putters are fine as long as you do not anchor them or attach them to your body . I have more of a problem with the Matt Kuchar armlock style which is definitely anchoring that should be banned.

What you are actually pointing out here is the complete lack of logic and consistency in the USGA anchoring ban. They banned ONE type of anchoring, and with absolutely no data to back it up. Golfers have been anchoring their elbows to their sides, their forearms to their chests, and so on, as long as the game has been played. Now the USGA has decided that a hand on the chest is the Great Satan?

As to the Kuchar style, he's putting the way that many, many players chip the ball, except with a longer shaft that runs up his left arm to help him keep his wrists locked. But you could putt or chip that way choked down with ANY club, right? And for that matter, left hand low putting is a version of the same idea; putting with the left arm down the shaft so that the wrists don't break down during the stroke. I think the problem with trying to ban that style is that you'd have to write a rule that prevented part of the club touching the arm above the wrist before or during the stroke, and how in the world would you write or enforce that? More to the point, why would you want to?

• Like 1

I just bought one off of Ebay. I'm going to give it a try. I don't believe Langer is anchoring and it has most certainly helped his yips. Can't hurt trying.

Want to really help yourself without getting into any issues of anchoring? Take the long putter and turn around and face the hole; putt side saddle. There is no yipping when you putt one-handed. Give it six months and you'll never putt conventionally again

Impeccable timing coming across this thread — played in a qualifier with a guy on Wednesday who used a long putter (non anchored). He rolled the ball beautifully all day.

I have been so frustrated with my putting over the last few years. Have tried almost every grip and putter style and have worked on it but not seeing any results.

After watching him I am intrigued. I have tried the belly putter before it was banned and the Kuchar style prior to that. Has anyone switched to the long putter post-anchoring ban? Or is there really no “advantage” now (assuming there was before) that you can’t anchor it. Am I being crazy and irrational by thinking of giving it a shot?

Impeccable timing coming across this thread — played in a qualifier with a guy on Wednesday who used a long putter (non anchored). He rolled the ball beautifully all day.

I have been so frustrated with my putting over the last few years. Have tried almost every grip and putter style and have worked on it but not seeing any results.

After watching him I am intrigued. I have tried the belly putter before it was banned and the Kuchar style prior to that. Has anyone switched to the long putter post-anchoring ban? Or is there really no “advantage” now (assuming there was before) that you can’t anchor it. Am I being crazy and irrational by thinking of giving it a shot?

Disclaimer: I have never used a long putter while standing parallel to the line of play, either before or after the anchoring ban. I converted to side saddle putting a little over three years ago, and use a 44" putter especially designed for that purpose.

With that out the way, the answer to your question is yes, there IS an advantage, with or without anchoring, and that is rolling the ball with one hand instead of two.

Here's why I say this: In all of sports, there is not another "precision" motion performed with two hands while standing parallel to the line of play, not one. That position is designed to create power thru speed thru torque and weight shift, and turning all of that off and trying to coordinate two hands into a small precise movement is just tough. If you walked out on the green without a club and wanted to roll a golf ball to a particular hole, you'd do it one handed, not sling it sideways with two hands. We shoot a basketball with one hand, not two. We throw darts that way, we bowl that way, we throw paper in the trashcan that way, and so on.

Think of a batter who gets the bunt sign; from a two-handed position parallel to the line of play, he squares and slides his top hand up the bat. The bottom hand becomes a fulcrum, the top hand bunts the ball. Now think of somebody shooting free throws; the "off" hand steadies the ball, the dominant hand performs the motion. Flip the plane, and you have someone putting a golf ball with one hand.

I won't even get into the benefits of facing the hole; binocular vision and no worries about head movement, sliding, etc. But in any case, I think rolling a ball with one hand is just biomechanically more sound.

I use a long putter, probably one of the strangest looking (some would call it ugly) putters that have been sold. It is basically a 42" arm lock putter used with a slightly open stance. I have had a lot of guys this year ask to try it out seeing me putt with it. Many have tried it with immediate success on a few putts, but then say, I just couldn't use a putter that looks like that! Me, I could care less about the looks, I just like making putts.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Disclaimer: I have never used a long putter while standing parallel to the line of play, either before or after the anchoring ban. I converted to side saddle putting a little over three years ago, and use a 44" putter especially designed for that purpose.

With that out the way, the answer to your question is yes, there IS an advantage, with or without anchoring, and that is rolling the ball with one hand instead of two.

Here's why I say this: In all of sports, there is not another "precision" motion performed with two hands while standing parallel to the line of play, not one. That position is designed to create power thru speed thru torque and weight shift, and turning all of that off and trying to coordinate two hands into a small precise movement is just tough. If you walked out on the green without a club and wanted to roll a golf ball to a particular hole, you'd do it one handed, not sling it sideways with two hands. We shoot a basketball with one hand, not two. We throw darts that way, we bowl that way, we throw paper in the trashcan that way, and so on.

Think of a batter who gets the bunt sign; from a two-handed position parallel to the line of play, he squares and slides his top hand up the bat. The bottom hand becomes a fulcrum, the top hand bunts the ball. Now think of somebody shooting free throws; the "off" hand steadies the ball, the dominant hand performs the motion. Flip the plane, and you have someone putting a golf ball with one hand.

I won't even get into the benefits of facing the hole; binocular vision and no worries about head movement, sliding, etc. But in any case, I think rolling a ball with one hand is just biomechanically more sound.

I bowl with two hands.

bowling-for-votes.jpg

I have the yips, so I’ve used the long putter for years. I will rotate between that and a standard length putter to keep the yips at bay. The long putter isn’t a cure, but for me it helps.

• Like 1

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 3 Wood w/ TD-70-S

TaylorMade Stage2 Tour 19* Fujikura Tour Spec VC 6.2

Mizuno Fli hi 4-w/Steelfiber 80-S

Mizuno 225, 5-PW with Modus 105-S

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Titleist ProV1/ 

The PGA should have banned the long putter before Mediate's win in 1991.

The putter should be held like the other 13 clubs in your bag. Hands together, not split. Also, no anchoring on forearms.

Jmho

You're talking about three different things here. Banning the long putter is one, no split grip is another, and no anchoring on forearms is a third.

We could argue about the first one, since putters have no limit on length, but I have NO idea how you'd ever write or enforce the other two. Is a baseball grip a split grip? Is left hand low a split grip? If I choke down to the steel to chip and the top of the grip is touching above my wrist at impact, is that anchoring? There are only a zillion players who play full shots with their upper arms touching their chest; why do you exempt THAT form or anchoring?

The USGA has a long history of making rules without good science behind them. In the case of the anchoring ban, they went one step farther for the first time, and legislated a grip, which they had never done before. And they did it poorly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The PGA should have banned the long putter before Mediate's win in 1991.

The putter should be held like the other 13 clubs in your bag. Hands together, not split. Also, no anchoring on forearms.

Jmho

You're talking about three different things here. Banning the long putter is one, no split grip is another, and no anchoring on forearms is a third.

We could argue about the first one, since putters have no limit on length, but I have NO idea how you'd ever write or enforce the other two. Is a baseball grip a split grip? Is left hand low a split grip? If I choke down to the steel to chip and the top of the grip is touching above my wrist at impact, is that anchoring? There are only a zillion players who play full shots with their upper arms touching their chest; why do you exempt THAT form or anchoring?

The USGA has a long history of making rules without good science behind them. In the case of the anchoring ban, they went one step farther for the first time, and legislated a grip, which they had never done before. And they did it poorly.

I don't like that they banned the anchoring at all, seemed odd that they waited so long to do so. If it was such an advantage for everyone, everyone would have been doing it if they could win more $$. Nobody controls how you swing the club, not sure why they would try to control how anyone putts as long as you are standing and beside the ball (vs shooting pool lol).

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

• 6 months later...
Hated the anchoring. Currently hate the long putter because we’re still having to hear arguments over whether there’s a quarter of an inch between the putter and the body. It’s unfortunate that the USGA tried to split the difference instead of just banning the putter itself; it would have been cleaner and the arguments would have been long over. When’s the last time you heard a complaint about the groove rule?

I understand terrible putting and how it sucks the fun out of the game, I just went left handed in an attempt to fix my own issues, but I don’t think the broomsticks are within the spirit of the game.

What is the spirit of the game and how does it relate to the rules of golf?

• 2 months later...

Ray Floyd used a 39-40” putter? I play with a guy that is 6’8 his is about 40”. I used a 37” putter forever...it just felt better to me and I have always been a very good putter. Picked up a belly putter about 12 years ago...hated the way it felt anchored but loved the head and feel of the putter. Chopped it off to 39” from 41” and used it for 10 years. My last 3 putters have been the same setup. If anchoring or the broomstick were that big of an advantage darn near everyone would use one. To me it’s no different than left hand low or the claw or any other form of a way to roll it better. I personally can’t anchor it to my body it’s way too restrictive...but I could care less if someone does. No putter made reads it and feels it for you.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter