Best Shot You Hit by Accident

Twism86

My best accidental shot happened back in the 50s, when I was a caddie. Back before golf carts and fairway sprinkler systems. Boy, were those fairways brown and hard in August! Anyways, caddies were allowed to play the course early in the morning before it opened. I bladed my tee shot on a 180 yard par 3, it rolled and rolled and rolled ... into the cup! My only hole in one, ever ?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar to easyjay, mine was my second shot on a par 5 from 210 yds out. I hit a 4 iron but caught it super thin. It came out like a missile and cruised about 20 feet in the air until it landed 40 yds short of the green, chased up the false front and ran right into the cup for an albatross. I have the ball framed, and there’s clearly mark on it from the leading edge.

I've had a few.... But of recent-- I was playing a couple weeks ago and pushed my approach shot wayyyy right to a tucked back right pin. I was pin high and about 20 yards from the pin. Had about 6 paces of green short of the stick and about 10 long of the stick. Lie was terrible-- sitting down a little in a small trench like area. Ball was in the hazard but I could still play it.

I rehearsed a high flop shot. Could make the club hit the ground where I wanted and I felt confident I could at least get it somewhere near the putting surface. I have no idea what happened but.... Took the club back, made my swing, hit the ground.... Somehow the ball came out SUPER hot and about 6 inches off the ground. It smacked into the small hill leading up to the green, shot straight up in the air, and landed on the green. It rolled out slightly to about a foot. We were all laughing about that one.

About a week ago during one of my twilight practice sessions it had just gotten dark enough to the point where i couldnt see the flag but i could see the outline of the green. 170yrd par 3 so i figured ill just aim middle of the silhouette that looks like the green. Hit a perfect feeling 7 iron and never saw it fly. Got up to the green and apparently i must have blocked it a tad and the flag and wouldnt you know the flag was on the right side of the green! Ball ended up about 6' from the hole.

My first hole in one was a wormburner push that hit some maintenance equipment far away from the green, bounced on the green and rolled in the hole.

I had golfed about 3 times in my life at that point and did not even realize it was a 'big deal' - just thought - "that was cool"

Bethel Golf Course. Hole 11. Typical attack for this is to lay up before the green as you can’t see it and must fade it into place to get lucky. Go left to far and not fade, you’re OB. Go right, you’re in the swamp.

We played scramble and I have the wonderful blessing of being the long hitter. I couldn’t hit a fade with the draw bias Callaway Rogue to save my life. Took the swing back to childhood status and put the ball down and settled 8 feet from the pin. We all missed eagle. Settled bird.

Long story short, learn to play the fade and draw. They’re both usable.

During league play on a short Par 3, my opponent skulled his 9i into the bank before the green. The ball ricocheted up the slope, bounced a couple of times before landing on the green, and eventually rolled gently to 2 feet from the pin. Tap in birdie. I thought he did a nice job of keeping his tee shot under the wind.

1st hole at my local course is a blind, downhill, significant dog leg left par 4 with trees all down the left side blocking the view. I usually start the tee shot up the right side and draw it to work around the dog leg, but more than once I have pulled the tee shot. There have been a couple of times that I have pulled it hard down the left side and it caught the hill just right and rolled up right in front of the green. It certainly was not on purpose, but I will take it when it happens.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

15th hole of a now closed course was a 120 yard par three with a water hazard in front of the green. It was an easy hole, but I never seemed to hit a good tee shot. Took a healthy swing with a pw that looked good, but was clearly short. Was about to reload, but the ball found the water, and inexplicably bounced out and onto the green. Turns out it hit the top of an underwater drainage pipe. Putted for par.

Yesterday I was playing a new course with the assistant pro. 18th hole I sky a drive, it lands left rough and buries. Have ~150 to the pin. Thinking I would just punch an 8 iron just to advance it so I can chip or pitch from short of the green. Instead, blade it about 5 ft in the air, hits the massive false front, jumps up and two hops to about 5 ft of the pin. Birdie the last hole for a 79.

I’ve hit trees near greens that fell out on greens. I’ve hit trees off drivers that ended up in the fairway and hit cart paths that made me look like a long driver champ but last week I made a put that I pulled terribly and it tracked straight into the hole. I walked up and acted like I knew what I was doing and took the praise of my playing partners. Little did they know it was a fluke.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

In our "Beat the Pro" Tourney a few years ago, I bet $200 so I was determined to win. I was a bit anxious starting off and bogeyed the first hole. On the 2nd hole which is a drivable but narrow par 4. I layed-up and had about 85 to a front pin location. Pulled it a bit and ended up in the green side bunker with very little green to work with. Decided to play a splash shot to throw the bill high and try to use the green's slope as a backstop and have somewhat of a shorter par putt. Caught the ball a little chunky but ended up slam dunking the bunker shot for a birdie. That calmed me down and I ended up winning my bet in that tournament.

Yesterday, par 3 , pull my 7 iron. Left of green on the other side of a pine bush, can't even see the green. Have to play it sideways just to see the green. Actually hit a decent little pitch. Now I blade the next wedge which rolls into the hole for a par. Stole that one.

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

• 2 months later...

Played in our State Pre-Senior championship this year without ever having seen the course. On the last par 5 hit a decent drive and the skies looked ominous with rain/lightening a certainty.

Expecting to hear the horn I just wanted to finish the hole so gripped & ripped my 3 wood from way out, not expecting to get home, just hoping for somewhere up around the green. What I didn't realize was that there was a small pond directly in front of the green.

I was shocked to first see the pond when we walked up (as it was not visible from where I had been in the fairway), and equally as surprised to see my ball had carried it and was on the front fringe of the green. An official stationed there said I was the only player to attempt and successfully clear that pond in two!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Not me but a shot I’ve seen. One of my closest friends who doesn’t really play, tags along a few times per year when we play an easier course. He’s by no means a good golfer but he can hit a few good shots per round and occasionally steal a par. The hole is a short par 4 and his tee shot ends up behind a tree. He planned on hitting his L wedge over the tree back into the fairway since he’s not comfortable with punches and low shots. Somehow he mixes up his L and 7 iron and proceeds to hit one of the most flush, towering iron shots I’ve ever seen. The ball hits a green side sprinkler head, bounces straight up in the air and comes to rest 10ish ft from the hole. Walks in his first ever birdie and fist pumped like he’s on tour.

Early in the year one year, it was the first day temps had gotten higher than 30 deg F in a month, and so I decided I had to get out and play. Normally I need it to be 45 deg F or higher before I decide to play, but it had been in the teens and 20s for a month so 32 felt balmy (and the forecast was to get to high 30s).

I get to a par 3, about 160 yards, with water in front and left of green. I grab a 7 iron. I hit what I thought was a good shot, thought it hit the center of the club face, but it was so cold that it was hard to tell. The ball heads straight for the flag, but as it sails through the air I'm thinking that it may come up short. It comes up way short...like 50 yards short...hits the "water" and bounces straight up and onto the green, about 10' from the hole. Turns out that the pond was a solid sheet of ice. That is uncommon for Virginia, and I've lived most of my life in the Southeast, so it never really crossed my mind that the pond was solid. Missed the 10 footer but was happy for the par.

One other quick one. We have a par 3 at my home course that drives me crazy. It shouldn't be that hard, but I really don't like that hole, and it has just now gotten into my mind. So one day I hit a typically poor tee shot, missed the shot short and right. Pin is tucked right and on a sidehill. So I now have a chip that will be hard to get close. I plan to hit a flop / chip into the fringe on the sidehill and just hope the fringe deadens it and that the ball trickles down near the hole. I pull / skull the chip further right and hotter than I intend, watch the ball roll through the fringe and sidehill like a putt, comes out of the fringe onto the green heading downhill toward the hole at the perfect speed and falls for my 1st ever birdie on that hole. It was one of those shots where you're like "oh no" when it leaves the club face but I got extremely lucky!

Shortly after I took golf back up after 10+ years of not touching the club, I was playing in some sort of alumni scramble event. I was horrible at the time. We're on some par 4 and I hit a nasty quasi-topped push hook that is about 20 feet off the ground starting at the right trees and turning back toward the fairway. "Got away with that one..." It wasn't until we got up to the fairway that we noticed a) there was a stripe painted down the middle of the fairway, indicating this was the "straightest drive" hole, and b) my ball was literally sitting on top of said stripe. Ironic.

Also, I've done the following way too many times to count. Playing recently I actually did this three times in a single round all from 140-150 and managed to somehow convert ALL THREE into birdies. Needless to say my buddy/competitor was not amused.

Accidental bad shot that ends up good - The classic worm burner that rolls out 140 yards and stops near the pin. Done it more than a few times in my golfing career.

I was fooling around putting from off the green. I was about 10 yds off, so I had to hit the putter really hard. There was a tree branch laying on the green completely off my line. I hit the ball way too hard and managed to duck hook a putter. Ball ricocheted off the branch into the hole for a nice birdie. I did a modified "dance of victory" to demonstrate my mastery of random events.

Too many to mention, but one comes to mind was a long-ish par 4 where I pulled my drive into some trees on the left. Figured I would be blocked by the trees and have to punch out, but when I get to the ball I see there's an opening so I try to hit a draw with my 5 iron, hoping to just get close to the green. Instead I completely skull the shot into the trees, but somehow it gets though, runs all the way up and onto the green. This green is a huge punch-bowl style, so it runs all the way on and down, ends up a foot from the hole. The guys I was playing with were both off to the right and didn't see it, so they just give the "wow, nice shot!" Sure thing, guys! Just like I planned it. :)