What's Next for Jones Golf Bags? (2017 & Beyond)

Great looking bag. I was thinking of getting one. Looks like you have 13 clubs in there, is it roomy enough or a bit tight and how's club tangle?

Like the FW cover, is that a Seamus?

My 14th club was in for repair at the time of the photo. I used the bag walking for 9 holes friday and on a cart for 18 on saturday. I plan on posting a more in depth review in my WITB post this week, after I can use it some more. Thus far, I love it.

All covers are Seamus, except the driver which is a cleveland I found on eBay. Fairway is called "Hebridean Mist" and the hybrid is "The Countryman".

Interested in hearing more about your experience with the bag now that you've had it for a while. Do the legs tuck nicely up against the bag when retracted? Saw a review of the Utility on Aussie golfer and the legs looked like they were dangling a bit - hate it when you get a stand bag that does that.

Planning to post my thoughts on it this weekend. I’ve taken a cart more than usual since I got it and wanted to carry a few rounds to give it a proper review.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great looking bag. I was thinking of getting one. Looks like you have 13 clubs in there, is it roomy enough or a bit tight and how's club tangle?

My 14th club was in for repair at the time of the photo. I used the bag walking for 9 holes friday and on a cart for 18 on saturday. I plan on posting a more in depth review in my WITB post this week, after I can use it some more. Thus far, I love it.

All covers are Seamus, except the driver which is a cleveland I found on eBay. Fairway is called "Hebridean Mist" and the hybrid is "The Countryman".

Interested in hearing more about your experience with the bag now that you've had it for a while. Do the legs tuck nicely up against the bag when retracted? Saw a review of the Utility on Aussie golfer and the legs looked like they were dangling a bit - hate it when you get a stand bag that does that.

-Alright, so after owning the bag for a few weeks here's what I have to say. The bag is an absolute joy to use and for the way I use a bag, I'd say it's near perfect. I'll add that I play at a private club so I have emergency weather gear a few steps away in my locker and spend most of my rounds split between using a pushcart(with a small amount of storage)and carrying. I only really ride if I have a guest for the day or if I'm playing at another course somewhere. I was looking for a smaller/lighter/minimal bag that had ample storage for my daily essentials but it still needed to be versatile enough to be my only bag. The way the bag is weighted and the thick straps make for much more comfortable carrying, the hang of the bag kind of makes me stand up a little straighter too, which is nice. The ability to use it as a single strap bag is my favorite part and makes cart days less cluttered/tangled. To address the small top and club tangle, it doesn't really bother me. I've been keeping the wedges in the bottom slot, irons in the middle and the rest up top without any real issues. I found if I tried to put the clubs back into the exact same spot after a shot it became much harder than just sliding them in wherever. If they get stuck you can give the bag a good shake and they usually work themselves out. Storage space is on par with the ogio bag I had previously and leaves me with more than enough if I have to bring along some extra gear. To give you an idea of storage space, I always carry 14 clubs, 10 balls, a handful of tees/tools/markers, ziploc bag of gloves, lighter, burts bees, small sunblock, bug spray, water bottle, trail mix and beef jerky. You'll often find a beer or two in there as well.

-To sum it all up, the bag is well made, stylish and functional. If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out, I was back and forth on this bag for a while so I'd love to help out.

EDIT. I forgot to answer the question regarding the legs. They do tuck nicely up against the bag when retracted.

-Alright, so after owning the bag for a few weeks here's what I have to say. The bag is an absolute joy to use and for the way I use a bag, I'd say it's near perfect. I'll add that I play at a private club so I have emergency weather gear a few steps away in my locker and spend most of my rounds split between using a pushcart(with a small amount of storage)and carrying. I only really ride if I have a guest for the day or if I'm playing at another course somewhere. I was looking for a smaller/lighter/minimal bag that had ample storage for my daily essentials but it still needed to be versatile enough to be my only bag. The way the bag is weighted and the thick straps make for much more comfortable carrying, the hang of the bag kind of makes me stand up a little straighter too, which is nice. The ability to use it as a single strap bag is my favorite part and makes cart days less cluttered/tangled. To address the small top and club tangle, it doesn't really bother me. I've been keeping the wedges in the bottom slot, irons in the middle and the rest up top without any real issues. I found if I tried to put the clubs back into the exact same spot after a shot it became much harder than just sliding them in wherever. If they get stuck you can give the bag a good shake and they usually work themselves out. Storage space is on par with the ogio bag I had previously and leaves me with more than enough if I have to bring along some extra gear. To give you an idea of storage space, I always carry 14 clubs, 10 balls, a handful of tees/tools/markers, ziploc bag of gloves, lighter, burts bees, small sunblock, bug spray, water bottle, trail mix and beef jerky. You'll often find a beer or two in there as well.

-To sum it all up, the bag is well made, stylish and functional. If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out, I was back and forth on this bag for a while so I'd love to help out.

EDIT. I forgot to answer the question regarding the legs. They do tuck nicely up against the bag when retracted.

I have a Jones Original that works great with the single strap. Well balanced, light, etc. I like that the Utility sounds like the single strap still works well.

The two-strap configuration looks like a mess. I would love to hear more about how that works on a regular round - on and off. The straps are not guided or set together, and they look like they would be difficult to get on your shoulders. I would also like your thoughts on one wide strap and the smaller one because that seems weird too.

I would like one of their stand options as well, so I would love your thoughts.

The classic single-strap stand bag is always an option, but weighing a few more pounds the second strap could be a good option to change the carry and spread the weight around.

I have a Jones Original that works great with the single strap. Well balanced, light, etc. I like that the Utility sounds like the single strap still works well.

The two-strap configuration looks like a mess. I would love to hear more about how that works on a regular round - on and off. The straps are not guided or set together, and they look like they would be difficult to get on your shoulders. I would also like your thoughts on one wide strap and the smaller one because that seems weird too.

I would like one of their stand options as well, so I would love your thoughts.

The classic single-strap stand bag is always an option, but weighing a few more pounds the second strap could be a good option to change the carry and spread the weight around.

Two strap configuration on Utility bag works like a champ, never a problem with it at all. Super comfortable too. It was a bit confusing when I first used it, but once I figured it out - worked like a champ

The two strap system on my Utility bag works great and is waaaaaay comfy for 18 holes. I have walked at least a dozen rounds with mine and have begun to use one strap without even thinking about it...which leads me to start flirting with the thought of picking up the canvas Players Series for the "Nine, Wine & Dine" winter golf in the PNW. MBIS set so, it must be time to add a few bags and head covers ????

Regarding the straps, I didn't even realize they were different sizes until you pointed it out. They were weird when first setting up the bag but once I had them adjusted to fit properly they worked just as good as any other strap system I've used. Right shoulder goes on and the left one is a small reach away, never had any issues with tangle or not being able "find" the second strap while it's on my back. I'll definitely be buying more Jones stuff in the future.

Regarding the straps, I didn't even realize they were different sizes until you pointed it out. They were weird when first setting up the bag but once I had them adjusted to fit properly they worked just as good as any other strap system I've used. Right shoulder goes on and the left one is a small reach away, never had any issues with tangle or not being able "find" the second strap while it's on my back. I'll definitely be buying more Jones stuff in the future.

Sorry to bring it up if it now in your head!

Jones are not things you can go look at in a retail setting, so I am forced to dissect the website pictures and try to figure stuff out from their social media pics.

Sorry to bring it up if it now in your head!

Jones are not things you can go look at in a retail setting, so I am forced to dissect the website pictures and try to figure stuff out from their social media pics.

I was at Carls in Michigan a couple of days ago and they have the Utility stand in store. I want to grab one when Jones has their sale but was concerned about the size and club tangle. I was really impressed with the bag, construction is very high quality, action on the legs is really solid and the strap system is really comfortable. I usually end up carrying double strap bags just using the main strap and it worked fine as both a double and singe. Loaded up a set of irons and driver/fw/hybrid to see what the bag could handle. My standard configuration is 12 clubs and the Utility has no problem with that, 14 will be a bit tighter but still quite doable. I found there was less of an issue with club tangle than what I've experience with Hoofers.

I am not concerned with tangle from the size of the top because the frameless Jones that I have is decent.

But I do have concerns with many stand bags with no external stand mechanism, where the bottom moves like Jones, Ping, Titleist, etc.

I'm the same, I've always had a Sun Mountain stand bag of some sort in the past and never had an issue with clubs getting tangled. Bought a 2017 Hoofer this year, used it for one round and sold it. For me it was just too much work pulling and replacing clubs. So I had concerns with the Jones Utility because it has the same sort of stand/foot design. But didn't experience the same level of annoyance as with the Hoofer when I loaded a bunch of clubs into it.

The Jones Utility bags are of the highest quality, they carry very well, they are perfectly balanced and offer plenty of storage. For those who are concerned 14 clubs will fit in the Utility stand bag, however if you use a super stroke or similar type putter grip, it makes things difficult when you want to easily pull a club. If you are a mid-sized or oversized grip user you may consider things just a little too cramped and may want to consider other options. I don't remember the exact opening size I want to say 7 3/4" even 8" would be beneficial, however a 8-1/2" or 9" opening would put this bag on a new level head and shoulders above what else is out there. .

While I dont use a superstroke on my putter, all of my club grips are midsize (golf pride mcc+4) and thats what concerns me. I'll more than likely be just fine but expanding to 8.5" or 9" - I would already be gaming a Jones haha

Well despite my prior comments.... Their black friday deal is just too good not to take advantage of. Just put in an order for a Utility Stand Bag. Let's hope they dont come out with a slightly larger opening on a 2018 bag lol

I have both the original and players bags. Size wise I like them just as the are, though I do find the players bag more comfortable to carry.

I just wish that they would put a fully waterproof version ( with a hood) of either bag out permanently. I did notice they have done limited run waterproof versions of the original & stand bag in the past.

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

Jones just posted on their Instagram today that they only had five of the Olive utility bag left, with no plans to make more. Also mentioned that there's three new colors coming out this spring.

I like the Olive bag, however I am not sure what head covers I would pair with it. I know very OCD of me.

I get it, I’m just as ocd. I ordered one because I’ve been eyeing it for a while. Going with a combo of Seamus covers in dark gray/black tones.

Just ordered a Jones Utility bag in slate and will eventually match a Seamus hc to it.

• 8 months later...

Just an FYI to everyone... spoke to a Jones person last week and had it confirmed to me by that person and separately by a Canadian distributor that a new utility bag is en route (on the water) and inventory should be available by the end of Sept. The opening at the top will be larger and shaped differently to accommodate bigger gripped putters, etc. and I'm told the stand mechanism will be improved, along with a few other goodies. It will be slightly more expensive as well.

Just an FYI to everyone... spoke to a Jones person last week and had it confirmed to me by that person and separately by a Canadian distributor that a new utility bag is en route (on the water) and inventory should be available by the end of Sept. The opening at the top will be larger and shaped differently to accommodate bigger gripped putters, etc. and I'm told the stand mechanism will be improved, along with a few other goodies. It will be slightly more expensive as well.

I have seen it in person and it is NICE. Larger opening. Stand mechanism outside bag (less or no club tangle). Great look with minimal branding. I m guessing about 4 lbs. Tried to get one early but was denied :-) Will be released in two weeks.

I have seen it in person and it is NICE. Larger opening. Stand mechanism outside bag (less or no club tangle). Great look with minimal branding. I m guessing about 4 lbs. Tried to get one early but was denied :-) Will be released in two weeks.

I am very excited to see what the new utility is like. The anticipation is killing me.