Scotland Golf Trip 101 (The Compass Guide)

Is a rental car a necessity, or can one (a single) get around the St Andrews area via taxi, public transportation, or a local shuttle/limo service? I'd likely be there for 3 or 4 days, and would like to avoid getting a rental car if possible.

Are you going to be staying in town? All the hotels there can arrange cabs or shuttles for you. The courses in town you can all walk to obviously.

IMO I would not rent a car there. There are a lot of narrow streets and the traffic can be surprisingly tight. Just one additional headache you really dont need.

The travel company we used went with St Andrews Executive Travel, not sure how much they are but all their drivers/vans were great.

I'm in the early planning stages, but I would expect to be staying in town. My primary purpose of the trip is to play the Old Course. Additional courses are a bonus, but I'd like to keep them close. I'll be traveling solo, so a travel company is probably out of the question.

I figured I take the (ScotRail) train from Edinburgh Airport to Leuchars, and then a bus/taxi. Reasonable choice?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Couple more questions for anyone who’s been:

How hard is it to get on Carnoustie as a single? Not trying to queue up at 4am like I probably will for the old course but I’d drive up from STA at maybe 6 if I could get out by 9 or 10.

Is Kingsbarns worth it? I suspect yes but the greens fees there are outrageous compared to everywhere else. I don’t know so many great courses to choose from could do Castle or New or like half a dozen others close by that would be great and about $200 less.

I'm in the early planning stages, but I would expect to be staying in town. My primary purpose of the trip is to play the Old Course. Additional courses are a bonus, but I'd like to keep them close. I'll be traveling solo, so a travel company is probably out of the question.

I figured I take the (ScotRail) train from Edinburgh Airport to Leuchars, and then a bus/taxi. Reasonable choice?

Definitely reasonable. If I was going solo I would do just that, rent a place in town and take the train up.

Very easy to get around otherwise and there are two cab stands in town that make is simple to get anywhere.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Besides the Old and New Courses at St Andrews, what courses would you play? Are the Eden and Jubilee courses worth playing, or would you trek outside of town? Kingsbarns? Carnoustie?

Also, if I'm not mistaken one has to have a (low) handicap to play the Old Course. How does one present evidence of a HC? Fire up a browser and show them the online scores? An email with the latest revision? Is this presented at the time of booking, or at the course at the time of play?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Besides the Old and New Courses at St Andrews, what courses would you play? Are the Eden and Jubilee courses worth playing, or would you trek outside of town? Kingsbarns? Carnoustie?

Also, if I'm not mistaken one has to have a (low) handicap to play the Old Course. How does one present evidence of a HC? Fire up a browser and show them the online scores? An email with the latest revision? Is this presented at the time of booking, or at the course at the time of play?

I thought the Jubilee was awesome, would definitely play it again if I was there. Kingsbarns and Carnoustie are both absolutely worth it IMO. KB is much closer if that matters.

When you check in with the starter - or the pavillion desk if you are waiting in line - you just show them a copy of your handicap card. I dont think anyone I saw had printouts, they were all on their phone. Either a screenshot of your ghin card or something similar. The guy will just take your phone from you, write down your name and index and hand it back to you.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Crail and Elie are close by, to a degree ... 20 minute drives, maybe ... very affordable ...

if you can get to carnoustie, then you should play it, but you might be looking to stay around St Andrews the entire time ...

Replying to a couple of people in this thread. My golfing travel buddy and I went to St Andrews last spring. Here the lowdown.

We planned our trip around a tee time at the Old Course. To guarantee a tee time you need to apply via the advance lottery. For 2019 you need to apply by Sep 5, so hop to it.

If you don't get in on the advance ballots you can still go there and try the 3-day ballot or show up in the AM and wait for a time. When we applied for the lottery we also chose to play three other courses at the St Andrews links, which may have helped us get our time. We ended up playing New, Jubilee, and Castle in addition to the Old.

Once we were notified of our Old Course and other tee times we then booked tee times at Carnoustie and Kingsbarns online. We booked in October for April the next year and had no issues getting tee times.

We also played Crail when we were there.

We flew into Glasgow, rented a car, and stayed at an AirBnB right in St Andrews, literally 150 yards from the Old Course first tee.

As to handicap cards, you are required to show your handicap card/printout to the starter at the Old Course.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

LOL, I had the printouts for all our handicaps, didn't want to take any chances of stepping up and having some unusual cell service issue - if it would happen to anyone . . . . .

The driving into St. Andrews and around the area near the courses and towards the middle of town really wasn't bad at all (we stayed out of town). Parking can be iffy, one day I found a large lot that was not crowded and just a short walk from the action, so to speak, so that was a good find. One evening just drove up aways and nice diagonal spot for the evening. When we had clubs and our tee times we just parked in the main lot for those with tee times. If I was staying in town, and renting a car, I'd sure check the parking situation for where you are staying because "on street" isn't that unusual or you have to find a lot - lugging around luggage and clubs wouldn't be fun for me if it wasn't convenient.

I guess I'd like the freedom to hop in the car and just drive about whether to Crail, or Anstruther or wherever, or just to get out and see the roads and the villages, but that's me. It was fun and like there was no way you could take a wrong turn - miss your sign for a town, and a ways down the road is another road that goes to the same place, lol. No doubt you can dedicate your time to town and take taxis or buses out of town and walk to your golf and there is plenty to do. Taxis aren't all that cheap, however.

Never played Kingsbarns but have visited many times for the Dunhill links and the womens british open last year and I would say it would be worth it if you can afford it/get on. Its a lovely course with great views. It's a modern links course so would be a slight change from the others on your list but would be well worth it.

Carnoustie I would say the same worth it if you can get on. But it's obviously gona be a longer trip from St Andrews without a car. Best bet would be taxi to Leuchars then train to Carnoustie.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

My personal opinion is that if you travel half way across the world and don'y play Kingbarns you've made a mistake, if it wasn't for the fact that it sits 4 miles along the coast from the Old it would have a stellar reputaiton of it's own. Played the Old and New a few times last year and a browser page with your handicap was sufficient, if you can print your cert in advance this this is easier. You certainly don't need to be a low capper to play the Old course, I watched a guy take 5 shots to get over the burn on the first 3 weekends ago.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I assume we are in the trust tree here so with that being said I noticed there is an opening at Muirfield Oct 2nd which is when I was hoping to play. Of course I soon realized you have to book a foursome and I'll be a single. Anyone got 3 trying to play that day that wants to add me as the 4th?

Also, I was going to play North Berwick that day if I can't get out at Muirfield. Do I need a tee time there or can I get out pretty easily as walk up? I got a tentative tee time but don't really want to prepay and then Muirfield opens up.

You can probably get a tee time at North Berwick on the day, but I think your issue will be that visitors are only allowed to play after 10 so it limits the times available.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

Here are my 2 cents.

First of all, if you just stay in St.Andrews you could even think of not renting a car; anyway, if you want to play different courses around there, the car is needed, otherwise by taxi yoy could reach some courses as Kingsbarns or Crail.

If you have to choose the courses in st. Andrews, besides the old course, I'd absolutely play the Jubilee, which in my opinion is WAAAY better than the new course, which in my opinion is overrated.

Another course that I enjoyed a lot was The Castle Course, which is quite Tricky, by the way.

Similar to the castele course (and really close you could find Kittocks.

Anyway, if you can afford it, play Kingsbarns (285 £) and Carnoustie (£ 160 I think).

Other really beautiful links are Elie (highly raccomended, but it's 16 par 4s and 2 par 3s!). lundin links and Crail.

If you only stay in st. Andrews, play in this order of preference:

1.old

2. jubilee

3. castle course

4. new

5. eden

Don't take in consideration Strathtyrum and balgove.

If you can travel play:

1. old course

2. Carnoustie

3. Gleneagles (King's course or PGA Century)

4. Kingsbarns

We planned our trip around a tee time at the Old Course. To guarantee a tee time you need to apply via the advance lottery. For 2019 you need to apply by Sep 5, so hop to it.

If you don't get in on the advance ballots you can still go there and try the 3-day ballot or show up in the AM and wait for a time. When we applied for the lottery we also chose to play three other courses at the St Andrews links, which may have helped us get our time. We ended up playing New, Jubilee, and Castle in addition to the Old.

I don't know the specific dates of travel at this point, so the lottery seems out. Does the lottery require you to specify a date, or can it be a range of dates?

I'll likely just wind up going there and show up in the AM and hope to get on. Is there a day of the week that is generally less crowded? I can be flexible with my travel. Also, am I safe to assume that mid-April through mid-May is a little more easy to get on than mid-summer?

I don't know the specific dates of travel at this point, so the lottery seems out. Does the lottery require you to specify a date, or can it be a range of dates?

I'll likely just wind up going there and show up in the AM and hope to get on. Is there a day of the week that is generally less crowded? I can be flexible with my travel. Also, am I safe to assume that mid-April through mid-May is a little more easy to get on than mid-summer?

The year in advance lottery allows you to specify two different weeks as your target. The three day ballot, like the name says, is three days in advance.

Don't assume getting on in April-May will be easy. We were there the last week of April. There were two of us and when we checked in with the starter he asked if we would be willing to allow others to join our group. I was a little surprised at this since over here they just fill tee-times. Not so at the Old Course. We said sure and ended up paired with a couple of guys from Singapore.

To give you an idea, we teed off at 11AM and they had been waiting since 5:30 AM. You might have better luck as a single, but be ready to wait. My buddy had been there before as a single and arrived at 5AM to get on the list.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to be prepared to wait. With only one round planned for the day, as long as I get on the course at some point I'll be fine.

Here's the backstory. I played Pebble Beach last July, and it was my 400th course played. I just played my 480th course this past weekend. With trips coming up this month, December January, and February, I should have 497 to 499 courses played by the end of next February. I'm hoping to play the Old Course as my 500th, so sitting around for a day or two would not be a showstopper. By mid-January I should have a good idea whether I'll be on target for an April/May trip, and start serious planning.

look at their website ... you get 3 2-week windows ... might was well shoot for it ... you'd have till the end of November to pay and secure the tee time ... if you're not sure, don't pay ...

their daily lottery is 2 days ahead of time, in person or by phone/internet ... no singles ... singles have to try the day of ...

That's a lot of courses. I have no idea of how many I have played.

From what I have heard if you are a single you generally stand a pretty good chance of getting out. Depending on how long you are planning on being in the area look at the 3-day pass. It gives you three days of play at any St Andrews course (except the Old) in a 1 week period. That way if it looks like you won't get on to the Old you can just play one of the other courses.

It will mess up the Old being #500 though unless you need to add one or two before it.

April 15 is the earliest you can apply, so you can cover 6 weeks from that date through the lottery. You get picked you still have some time to commit.

I guess the 500 thing would be fun, can't determine the value of that to you, but it's pretty easy to plan a trip around a guaranteed tee time and putting a lot of eggs planning wise/accommodations wise/etc. into one basket if you plan getting on one of a couple of days through the other methods (ballot and walkup) and planning a trip 90 days or less out. Quite a risk.

It appears that singles can book advanced tee times for the 'Old Course - Single Golfer' category. That includes a round at the Old Course and the Castle Course. 'Probably worth taking a shot with dates in late April, mid-May, and late May.

If I don't have enough courses played by the end of my February trip, it's fairly easy to add a couple playing locally in March and early April.

I applied for three periods (April 22 - May 3, May 13 - 24, and May 27 - Jun 7). Fingers crossed, but I'm guessing a single trying to get out on one of 29 days should have a good chance.

It appears that singles can book advanced tee times for the 'Old Course - Single Golfer' category. That includes a round at the Old Course and the Castle Course. 'Probably worth taking a shot with dates in late April, mid-May, and late May.

If I don't have enough courses played by the end of my February trip, it's fairly easy to add a couple playing locally in March and early April.

I applied for three periods (April 22 - May 3, May 13 - 24, and May 27 - Jun 7). Fingers crossed, but I'm guessing a single trying to get out on one of 29 days should have a good chance.

Hope it works out and good luck with the quest!

Thanks. One way or another I'm going to play the Old Course as my 500th even if I have to fly there, and show up at 4 am for four straight days. After 499 courses, and over 1200 rounds played, the other courses are secondary in my quest. Lol. Of course, I'm a loony.

Thanks. One way or another I'm going to play the Old Course as my 500th even if I have to fly there, and show up at 4 am for four straight days. After 499 courses, and over 1200 rounds played, the other courses are secondary in my quest. Lol. Of course, I'm a loony.

I'm envious of your lunacy!

I'm headed to Scotland next July for my wedding. I'm going to play Cruden Bay on the morning of my wedding. Already have a soft confirmation of a round at North Berwick later that trip. We'll be in St Andrews for about 5 days in the middle of the trip, so I put in for the singles private advance tee time lottery for TOC. If I fail securing a tee time going that route, then I'll be in line at 3am trying to play. I don't want to play the Castle as my second round, but I'm sure if I win that they'll work with me if I want to play the Jub instead. Hoping to play Carnoustie or Kingsbarns as well...or ideally both!

I did inquire with Muirfield to see if any booked foursomes needed a 4th on the two visitor days I'll be around there. The nice booking secretary took my information to put on her wait list in case anything opened up. I doubt I'll be successful but thought it couldn't hurt to check.

I'm headed to Scotland next July for my wedding. I'm going to play Cruden Bay on the morning of my wedding. Already have a soft confirmation of a round at North Berwick later that trip. We'll be in St Andrews for about 5 days in the middle of the trip, so I put in for the singles private advance tee time lottery for TOC. If I fail securing a tee time going that route, then I'll be in line at 3am trying to play. I don't want to play the Castle as my second round, but I'm sure if I win that they'll work with me if I want to play the Jub instead. Hoping to play Carnoustie or Kingsbarns as well...or ideally both!

I did inquire with Muirfield to see if any booked foursomes needed a 4th on the two visitor days I'll be around there. The nice booking secretary took my information to put on her wait list in case anything opened up. I doubt I'll be successful but thought it couldn't hurt to check.

Hope the new Mrs. plays or you may have a "soft confirmation" of your honeymoon, lol.

I played my 482nd and 483rd courses yesterday. The countdown has begun.

Sand Valley 10th

20180831_152445.jpg

I was able to play Muirfield last year as a single with no problem, although it was May rather than July. You are correct, the club Secretary Ms Bent, was very helpful.

I was able to play Muirfield last year as a single with no problem, although it was May rather than July. You are correct, the club Secretary Ms Bent, was very helpful.

Any tips on how you did this? I contacted the secretary as well and was put on a waiting list. Probably email her back a couple times before I’m trying to get out there.

Also dumb question should I bring my golf umbrella to Scotland? Feel like it’s a no but could come in handy I guess if the weather turns.

Hope the new Mrs. plays or you may have a "soft confirmation" of your honeymoon, lol.

Thankfully this was all her idea! She does have clubs, so maybe that can be my project from now until then. Original plan was for a 10 day trip and I could play 4 rounds of golf. Now we’re leaning towards 12 days and I can probably add a 5th round.

Thankfully this was all her idea! She does have clubs, so maybe that can be my project from now until then. Original plan was for a 10 day trip and I could play 4 rounds of golf. Now we're leaning towards 12 days and I can probably add a 5th round.

LOL, my wife plays and played some on our trip, including the Old/New and Royal Dornoch - actually the whole family played those courses, oldest daughter and I played more than that.

If your soon to be wife supports your golf don't ever f it up!!!!!!

Thankfully this was all her idea! She does have clubs, so maybe that can be my project from now until then. Original plan was for a 10 day trip and I could play 4 rounds of golf. Now we're leaning towards 12 days and I can probably add a 5th round.

My Fiance and I were planning on going to Hawaii for our honeymoon. But have decided to scratch that idea and are going to Scotland for a week to golf then Greece for a week to relax. All of the planning has been fun, I couldn't be more excited. We are going to be staying East, centered around St. Andrews but looking to play Elie, North Berwick and Kingsbarn for sure then a few maybes - Cruden Bay, Gullane, Trump International etc. Still working on that. I put in our St Andrews app this week. Is there anything else to do in the area when not golfing?