2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

If anyone thinks the persimmon driver and blades are not playable as the new golf clubs, think again

wkuo3

Play what you want. If you want to hit the ball as far as possible, go buy some modern gear.

If you want to put together a bag of classics and have a blast that way, go for it. You'll find it's easily done for <$100.

Personally, playing vintage gear is just more fun. It's a bit shorter, but not 40 yards shorter. I'd guess 20 or so if you're using the same ball.

It has been a couple of years, but last time I had my Powerbilt persimmon at the range I was only about 15 yds shorter with it than I was with my Titleist toaster oven-on-a-stick. :)

This winter I'll be looking for a set of blonde Ping woods and put them in a bag with my BeNi ISIs and call it my 'classic' bag. :)

That'll be a nice setup. Don't Forget the Anser 2!

And eye 2+ wedges. Classic beyond classic. Inspiration for Phi’s PM grind.

And also the inspiration for the newer TM High Toe wedges

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Play what you want. If you want to hit the ball as far as possible, go buy some modern gear.

If you want to put together a bag of classics and have a blast that way, go for it. You'll find it's easily done for <$100.

Personally, playing vintage gear is just more fun. It's a bit shorter, but not 40 yards shorter. I'd guess 20 or so if you're using the same ball.

It has been a couple of years, but last time I had my Powerbilt persimmon at the range I was only about 15 yds shorter with it than I was with my Titleist toaster oven-on-a-stick. :)

This winter I'll be looking for a set of blonde Ping woods and put them in a bag with my BeNi ISIs and call it my 'classic' bag. :)

Bingo! That's a big 10-4 good buddy.

I appreciate the premise of this thread. But come on man. There is a photo that I can't find at the moment from a year ago where DJ hit is driver so far off the toe of the club (in one of his victories last year) that the club was like totally flexed sideways after impact, and yet he found the fairway. With a persimmon driver he would have literally whiffed the ball with that swing...

Have you ever seen him whiff a 5 wood? About the same size as persimmon. I am certainly not a comparison to DJ but the small headed clubs are easier to hit in the center-not harder.

Have you ever hit this training aid? imo it is easier to hit this center than a 460cc driver https://golfpsp.selz.com/

Of course not. And he would never. The modern driver does allow for a level of attention taken away from perfect contact in exchange for power. And the modern pros as well as ams do take advantage of that, which simply makes the club easier to hit. No professional would ever whiff the ball because of the smaller the hitting area, they'd simply focus more on that aspect. The not so professional may not have that going for them. I have seen regular people whiff the ball, which would be even easier to do if using a smaller club...

Correct all the way around one of the reasons I always carry one of my persimmon drivers to the range for a practice session. If I can hit that thing in the face I can certainly hit my Toyota on a stick 915 or Homna G 1 X. The TM Twist Face or Twisted Sister as I call it is nothing new. Get Mr Charley Penna on here to tell you about bulge and roll built in to persimmon drivers back in the day.

Today, felt like taking the wood and blades out for a causal 9 hole solo round (turned into 13 before I was done). In the bag were PB Citation D, 3 & 5, steel shafts, B flex. Along with a Gorman D and 4W, shafted with Harrison Professional graphite. Course I'm very familiar with playing all the time.

Hit two drives today that went further then the customary distance I get from my Titleist 910 D2. Not quite sure how this can be. I don't have the golfing skill set to be able to play persimmon with any degree of proficiency. Yet, the reality is I can hit them nearly as well as the modernist large head and graphite clubs. As mentioned above, perhaps it's the extra focus that is required to strike the ball. One is either "mostly" on the center of the club face or not at all. And the really bad hit ensues. An ongoing experience, that I find rather compelling. And more importantly, a lot of fun.

The irons were the usual "modernized" Hogan Apex II's with FCM Rifle 5.5's. This is a very good setup for me, really make the Apex's quite playable. Also had a along a recent partial acquisition that I hadn't yet hit a ball with. Found a partial set of Ping BeNi ISI with ZZ-65 Cushin shafts recently. Being that I never had hit ISI's before, figured it was worth a $10 investment to find out. I liked them, hit several surprisingly good shots. Even though they are two color codes off (black dot, play green in my i20's) and and 1" to short. Has me browsing this eventing looking for fill possibilities. As something of a picker, like the thinner soles of the ISI's compared to the Eye 2's I had fooled around with a couple of years back (also found on the cheap).

SW was a BeCu Hogan Sand Iron that I've always liked. Putter was a BeCu Zing 2 that hadn't seen any use in over a year. Light, but still a relevant putter. Once I reacclimated after a couple of holes.

Have this theory that I utilize while learning to play classic wood and blade. If I think that I can't I won't (be able to hit a golf ball). Allowing all the negative connotations to seep into my head. But, If I think that I can, I will. If that makes any sense. I've had to many very positive experiences to think otherwise. Now, it's become a certain badge of honor. Cause I know that on the day, no one else will be fielding said implements. And the scores are not all that different than with the more modernist clubs. A 42 today, which is better than I typically shoot.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Today, felt like taking the wood and blades out for a causal 9 hole solo round (turned into 13 before I was done). In the bag were PB Citation D, 3 & 5, steel shafts, B flex. Along with a Gorman D and 4W, shafted with Harrison Professional graphite. Course I'm very familiar with playing all the time.

Hit two drives today that went further then the customary distance I get from my Titleist 910 D2. Not quite sure how this can be. I don't have the golfing skill set to be able to play persimmon with any degree of proficiency. Yet, the reality is I can hit them nearly as well as the modernist large head and graphite clubs. As mentioned above, perhaps it's the extra focus that is required to strike the ball. One is either "mostly" on the center of the club face or not at all. And the really bad hit ensues. An ongoing experience, that I find rather compelling. And more importantly, a lot of fun.

The irons were the usual "modernized" Hogan Apex II's with FCM Rifle 5.5's. This is a very good setup for me, really make the Apex's quite playable. Also had a along a recent partial acquisition that I hadn't yet hit a ball with. Found a partial set of Ping BeNi ISI with ZZ-65 Cushin shafts recently. Being that I never had hit ISI's before, figured it was worth a $10 investment to find out. I liked them, hit several surprisingly good shots. Even though they are two color codes off (black dot, play green in my i20's) and and 1" to short. Has me browsing this eventing looking for fill possibilities. As something of a picker, like the thinner soles of the ISI's compared to the Eye 2's I had fooled around with a couple of years back (also found on the cheap).

SW was a BeCu Hogan Sand Iron that I've always liked. Putter was a BeCu Zing 2 that hadn't seen any use in over a year. Light, but still a relevant putter. Once I reacclimated after a couple of holes.

Have this theory that I utilize while learning to play classic wood and blade. If I think that I can't I won't (be able to hit a golf ball). Allowing all the negative connotations to seep into my head. But, If I think that I can, I will. If that makes any sense. I've had to many very positive experiences to think otherwise. Now, it's become a certain badge of honor. Cause I know that on the day, no one else will be fielding said implements. And the scores are not all that different than with the more modernist clubs. A 42 today, which is better than I typically shoot.

Way to go there not only a good round but I bet you had fun doing it too---- Can not wait for fall to come around and cool off some then I can do my Sunday afternoon walking rounds strictly vintage

My opinion is that every tour pro would like to have a persimmon trouble club with a 4,5 or 6 wood loft. Even with today’s balls, persimmon would let them play golf shots

EG. quail high shots ala Demaret, Seve like shots out of a bunker with a lip. Hold up (into the wind fades) which most persimmon era pros could execute when necessary. A put the face on the ball shot with a four wood to go 190 to 200 yards into the wind no curve.

Unfortunately, that will never happen because the manufacturers wouldn’t allow it.

I won’t bore you with my diatribe on bulge and roll because it isn’t germane to Today’s equipment

CHARLEY PENNA

I have a set of BeNi ISIs and can play them pretty well. 3-PW, SW2, and L wedge. I usually need a short stint at the range to get my setup right with all that offset, but once done I'm good to go.

I may trade/sell other irons, but these will have to be sold by my wife after I'm gone. There's just something about them. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

The point is not whether the aged golf club design could play as well as the modern design.

I, know that I could drive my modern driver 25 yards longer with more margin for error than my persimmon driver, can't say the same for the irons if they were matched with the loft and length.

The point is, note the distance they measured for D.J. were the "carrying yardage", and the PGA statistic supposed to be total yardage with run out.

With D.J.'s own statement ,plust he was afraid of breaking the persimmon head so he did not swing harder ( he could ). The equipment is one static measure, and the golfer whom swings the golf club is another.

I know I could not play the same golf clubs from the 70's today, as the same way I once did.

I'm smaller than the average built, but I'm not that far behind ( distance wise ) comparing to several ex pro sports players. Not bad for an old guy 25 years senior to those well built athletes. ( I was using golf clubs from the 90's and they had the most recent golf stick from major OEM ).

The current balls are awesome with persimmon. On the driving range I hit the best titanium drivers 250-255 carry on launch monitors. About 240-245 carry with my best persimmons and my titanium drivers from 15-20 years ago 245-250 carry.

Guess what? The most 3 important things for great driving on the course:

1) Smash factor or solid strike

2) Trajectory

3) Shaping

Ranking those 3 factors on the course:

1) Persimmon

2) 20 year old titanium

3) today's best titanium

I may be a freak, but I hit 80% of persimmon drives very solid.

Today's best titanium at best 70% from over swinging or too quick.

I have to add, my last round 2 days ago, I showed an old friend how I was better off the tee with persimmon than current drivers. It seems to get better each year due to the balls starting from about 7 years ago.

Love me some Eye 2 wedges!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Long irons from the mid 70's to mid 90's were the easiest to hit. My age at that time probably helped too.

My '76 Staff 1-3 irons an late 80's Mizuno Masters 3-4 are easier to hit than almost any 4-5 blade today.

They are about the safe loft. FG17 2 irons is 20° XR 4 iron is 21°

A staff 1-3 is the same as a 3-5 in a modern GI iron.

DJ, JT, Rory, Rose....all using pure blades. If you hit the middle all clubs work well.

My modern sets in my car ready for play are 2014 Mizuno MP-15s and 2006 MP-100s. I recently compared them to the various MP-18 models and I was happy to see the new models are nice but I didn't hit them any better. You're are correct about the sweet spot but different era sweet spots are just sweeter in my opinion. I just much prefer the small knife blades of the past with the long irons.

I have a set of BeNi ISIs and can play them pretty well. 3-PW, SW2, and L wedge. I usually need a short stint at the range to get my setup right with all that offset, but once done I'm good to go.

I may trade/sell other irons, but these will have to be sold by my wife after I'm gone. There's just something about them. :)

Amen to that. I'm not going to argue that a set of Haig Ultra blades is easy to play, BUT my BeCu ISIs have a permanent home in my bag. I have a set from 3i through SW, but I've recently benched the 3i. Have an original Eye 2 LW in BeCu as well. The clubs just plain work -- and they look good too. :-)

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I can’t speak to the persimmon aspect of the debate but I am a firm believer in the older irons and I can keep up with anyone at my course using these “outdated” clubs. I would really like to believe I’m just that great of a golfer but I think it’s more that there’s still some validity in a club that someone with the name of Hogan had a hand in designing and manufacturing, yes personally I’m partial to hogan blades but I also believe a lot in the craftsmanship of clubs from days past. Technology can decipher the game in a way that will obviously lend the newer clubs a so called upper hand as far as playability, meaning Joe Schmoe can hit his driver 250 with a lousy swing and an off center strike but that’s truely only part of the story. For one you’re not going to get any better by getting away with crappy swings, it makes for a lazy swing and lackadaisical approach to the game, and when your in a competitive environment you’re depending more on your clubs which is a bigger gamble than relying more on your swing far as I’m concerned. My point is people who design clubs now are producing things in an effort to make golf easier but easier isn’t always better. People way back when, like Mr. Hogan, made clubs to be perfect for a perfect shot. In other words he expected to hit a great shot with precision and designed the clubs to preform based around that premise. Flat out they were made for good players, I personally want the feedback I get from an old hogan blade, its like an instructor constantly telling me where and how I’m making contact with the ball and through that I can find a base to work on my swing. I want my weaknesses exposed which is what they do and the reward for when you hit an old blade iron flush, you just can’t compare the feeling, mostly because you know you earned it! Maybe that’s a thing of the past as well or I’m just old fashioned but I can break 80 easily nearly every time I golf and I don’t have one fancy new club in my bag just a set of 76’ apex irons, I’ve tried new clubs but I feel like I’m cheating, getting really good takes consistency which takes a great swing that can only be achieved through persistent hard work, not fancy new clubs.

• Like 1

I can’t speak to the persimmon aspect of the debate but I am a firm believer in the older irons and I can keep up with anyone at my course using these “outdated” clubs. I would really like to believe I’m just that great of a golfer but I think it’s more that there’s still some validity in a club that someone with the name of Hogan had a hand in designing and manufacturing, yes personally I’m partial to hogan blades but I also believe a lot in the craftsmanship of clubs from days past. Technology can decipher the game in a way that will obviously lend the newer clubs a so called upper hand as far as playability, meaning Joe Schmoe can hit his driver 250 with a lousy swing and an off center strike but that’s truely only part of the story. For one you’re not going to get any better by getting away with crappy swings, it makes for a lazy swing and lackadaisical approach to the game, and when your in a competitive environment you’re depending more on your clubs which is a bigger gamble than relying more on your swing far as I’m concerned. My point is people who design clubs now are producing things in an effort to make golf easier but easier isn’t always better. People way back when, like Mr. Hogan, made clubs to be perfect for a perfect shot. In other words he expected to hit a great shot with precision and designed the clubs to preform based around that premise. Flat out they were made for good players, I personally want the feedback I get from an old hogan blade, its like an instructor constantly telling me where and how I’m making contact with the ball and through that I can find a base to work on my swing. I want my weaknesses exposed which is what they do and the reward for when you hit an old blade iron flush, you just can’t compare the feeling, mostly because you know you earned it! Maybe that’s a thing of the past as well or I’m just old fashioned but I can break 80 easily nearly every time I golf and I don’t have one fancy new club in my bag just a set of 76’ apex irons, I’ve tried new clubs but I feel like I’m cheating, getting really good takes consistency which takes a great swing that can only be achieved through persistent hard work, not fancy new clubs.

Excellent synopsis my sentiments exactly---- Most of the time I play with my vintage irons--- Now I am sorta "in training" and maybe playing a few stipulated events so I am playing my conforming stuff. Now yesterday i was on the range and had my Tournament stuff but still had my 55 Armour 925 5&7 irons in the bag along with one of my persimmon drivers. In fact warmed up with the Armour 7 iron. When I got into it I was really flushing those Cally irons. There was a couple of the older members hanging out who like to see what I have in the bag on a given day. One of them commented on the fact i was hitting the Callys good. The other guy remarked "well if he hits those antique blades good then those Callys are a no brainer. With not seriously practicing a lot and only playing 1 or 2 times a week I can shoot high 70s low 80s with the vintage stuff from the senior tees.

DJ, JT, Rory, Rose....all using pure blades. If you hit the middle all clubs work well.

My modern sets in my car ready for play are 2014 Mizuno MP-15s and 2006 MP-100s. I recently compared them to the various MP-18 models and I was happy to see the new models are nice but I didn't hit them any better. You're are correct about the sweet spot but different era sweet spots are just sweeter in my opinion. I just much prefer the small knife blades of the past with the long irons.

Yeah for some reason I can hit the butter knife long irons better than I can the modern ones until my brain clicked. I knew this but my brain clicked finally. I realized I had to go on the line of thinking like well this Cally 6 iron is really a Macgregor 5 iron and adjust that way in my mind frame. Worked pretty well for me this weekend. I finally got the brain to working after a wedge discussion about gap wedges etc. Then the light clicked on CLICK--- My gap wedge is really a VIP PW even if it says it is a Vokey at 50* and my Cally PW is a Mac 9 iron etc. For me it was a state of mind

Excellent synopsis my sentiments exactly---- Most of the time I play with my vintage irons--- Now I am sorta "in training" and maybe playing a few stipulated events so I am playing my conforming stuff. Now yesterday i was on the range and had my Tournament stuff but still had my 55 Armour 925 5&7 irons in the bag along with one of my persimmon drivers. In fact warmed up with the Armour 7 iron. When I got into it I was really flushing those Cally irons. There was a couple of the older members hanging out who like to see what I have in the bag on a given day. One of them commented on the fact i was hitting the Callys good. The other guy remarked "well if he hits those antique blades good then those Callys are a no brainer. With not seriously practicing a lot and only playing 1 or 2 times a week I can shoot high 70s low 80s with the vintage stuff from the senior tees.

Thanks Big Stu, always appreciate the response, especially on this topic. I had hoped my post wasn’t too much of a ramble as I tend to get a little carried away on the new vs vintage debate but that’s exactly what I was getting at, the vintage clubs will keep you sharp and when you play a newer club it’s as that old fella said “a no brainer”. I really think the weight of the older irons helps me dial in my rhythm and tempo, which surely has to be one of the essential parts of playing well, either way they help and that’s what matters. Gotta say that is quite the array of vintage weapons you have in your arsenal, always awesome to hear someone loves em like I do, hope those events go well for ya

• 4 weeks later...

I can't speak to the persimmon aspect of the debate but I am a firm believer in the older irons and I can keep up with anyone at my course using these "outdated" clubs. I would really like to believe I'm just that great of a golfer but I think it's more that there's still some validity in a club that someone with the name of Hogan had a hand in designing and manufacturing, yes personally I'm partial to hogan blades but I also believe a lot in the craftsmanship of clubs from days past. Technology can decipher the game in a way that will obviously lend the newer clubs a so called upper hand as far as playability, meaning Joe Schmoe can hit his driver 250 with a lousy swing and an off center strike but that's truely only part of the story. For one you're not going to get any better by getting away with crappy swings, it makes for a lazy swing and lackadaisical approach to the game, and when your in a competitive environment you're depending more on your clubs which is a bigger gamble than relying more on your swing far as I'm concerned. My point is people who design clubs now are producing things in an effort to make golf easier but easier isn't always better. People way back when, like Mr. Hogan, made clubs to be perfect for a perfect shot. In other words he expected to hit a great shot with precision and designed the clubs to preform based around that premise. Flat out they were made for good players, I personally want the feedback I get from an old hogan blade, its like an instructor constantly telling me where and how I'm making contact with the ball and through that I can find a base to work on my swing. I want my weaknesses exposed which is what they do and the reward for when you hit an old blade iron flush, you just can't compare the feeling, mostly because you know you earned it! Maybe that's a thing of the past as well or I'm just old fashioned but I can break 80 easily nearly every time I golf and I don't have one fancy new club in my bag just a set of 76' apex irons, I've tried new clubs but I feel like I'm cheating, getting really good takes consistency which takes a great swing that can only be achieved through persistent hard work, not fancy new clubs.

Thanks Big Stu, always appreciate the response, especially on this topic. I had hoped my post wasn't too much of a ramble as I tend to get a little carried away on the new vs vintage debate but that's exactly what I was getting at, the vintage clubs will keep you sharp and when you play a newer club it's as that old fella said "a no brainer". I really think the weight of the older irons helps me dial in my rhythm and tempo, which surely has to be one of the essential parts of playing well, either way they help and that's what matters. Gotta say that is quite the array of vintage weapons you have in your arsenal, always awesome to hear someone loves em like I do, hope those events go well for ya

Well I decided before the hurricane I was not going to come out of retirement and play that event. The ultra moderns are put up in the shop. Today my friend and I are playing blades and persimmon> He has a set of Izett woods I gave him a while back. He has several sets of vintage irons but I gave him the 1955 Mac Armour 925s. My line up today will be what is listed in my signature on the strictly vintage list. I absolutely love those Precisions and I really love that Penna Driver Randy gave me. The putter may be the only thing up in the air since I have so many great putters to choose from. I may go with the Ping O blade today do not know for sure yet.

• 2 years later...

I play persimmon wood and blade irons every day, both manufactured in 1988, (Hogan Apex) don’t even own any current gear other than my low compression ball. Pebble Beach isn’t any longer today than when I first played it in 1988. At my current club, everyone playing with modern equipment there hits driver/short iron into nearly every hole and often have a eagle putt try on the par 5s.

I prefer using all my clubs, the whole bag, not just a driver and wedge. The courses I play and the way I play them harken back to the pros from the Hogan era up to the advent of metal drivers etc. that’s the game that gives me the most pleasure. Bringing “the monster to it’s knees” is far more gratifying, my opinion of course, with using the whole bag, on in two with 2 and 3 irons, etc....

I play to. 4 handicap. It’s a game of touch and feel, not just grip and rip.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bruceapex said:

I play persimmon wood and blade irons every day, both manufactured in 1988, (Hogan Apex) don’t even own any current gear other than my low compression ball. Pebble Beach isn’t any longer today than when I first played it in 1988. At my current club, everyone playing with modern equipment there hits driver/short iron into nearly every hole and often have a eagle putt try on the par 5s.

I prefer using all my clubs, the whole bag, not just a driver and wedge. The courses I play and the way I play them harken back to the pros from the Hogan era up to the advent of metal drivers etc. that’s the game that gives me the most pleasure. Bringing “the monster to it’s knees” is far more gratifying, my opinion of course, with using the whole bag, on in two with 2 and 3 irons, etc....

I play to. 4 handicap. It’s a game of touch and feel, not just grip and rip.

Could not agree with you more other than the exclusion of a 1 iron! 🙂Have to carry one of those and a proper butter knife one too, not a modern full fat version!