2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Missoula Area Golf Recommendations

JLew

I have a business trip coming up in mid-May where I will be mainly in Missoula and maybe Kalispell as well. I am flying in and out of Missoula.

Should have enough free time to get in a round or two. What would be the recommendations within about a 90 minute drive?

So far, I've looked at possibly driving down to play Old Works and I've started checking into Canyon River.

Thanks.

Titleist TSR3 : Ventus TR Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Between Ranch Club and Canyon River, which one would you recommend? Trying to prioritize because I don't know yet if I'll have time for 1 or 2 rounds.

I figured it was about 1hr 45min to Old Works and I still may do that if I can schedule some conference calls for the drive so I'm not wasting time.

Thanks.

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

Thanks, guys. I think I'm going to try to get to Old Works. If the timing doesn't work I'll flip a coin on Ranch vs. Canyon. I might end up in Kalispell one day so I might have to figure out a round there.

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

Is Stock Farm Club any good???

Yes

EDIT: I am at work and just had to stop after yes. It is very well laid out, and the fairways just seem to beg for an obvious shot shape. The views from the tee box are spectacular and it is very fair but also challenging. It is a course that really doesn't have any dud holes, I mean there are some I don't love, but overall it is a very nice course.

• 1 month later...

Okay, trip was rescheduled and now I'm flying into Missoula tonight.

Will be in Kalispell/Whitefish tomorrow morning. Thinking of playing either Whitefish South or Northern Pines tomorrow. Any recommendations?

Driving from Missoula to Bozeman on Wednesday, probably going to try to play Old Works on the way.

Thoughts?

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

Okay, trip was rescheduled and now I'm flying into Missoula tonight.

Will be in Kalispell/Whitefish tomorrow morning. Thinking of playing either Whitefish South or Northern Pines tomorrow. Any recommendations?

Driving from Missoula to Bozeman on Wednesday, probably going to try to play Old Works on the way.

Thoughts?

Northern Pines is much better IMHO. All depends on what you like as South is in the trees and Northern Pines, though says pines is a links course.

Edit: Old Works is worth playing if your in the area. the BLACK bunkers make for a very different feel. I will say I have never played it without the winding blowing 20 mph + LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I played The Ranch and Canyon River last week. Two very good courses and each worth a visit. The Ranch is very open, treeless prairie with the mountains visible in the distance. About half the holes have mounding /dunes that separate the holes somewhat from the long vistas that are the eye candy on many of the holes. Canyon River is closer to the mountains and is heavy with pines. So, the look of each course is quite different from the other. However, the golf itself is fairly comparable. both have ample width off the tee, good bunkering and interesting greens. Canyon River has more elevation changes, including a couple of "drop shot" par threes if those are to your liking. My only nit with Canyon River is that there are a few holes that have pretty long walks from green to next tee and they weren't well marked. Having said that, there were a lot of players walking the course. My nit with the Ranch is that there is a lot of construction going on, so viisit before there are too mnay homes to spoil the vistas. Both courses were in good shape and both have decent dining, although the Ranch's club house dining room is more upscale than the friendly restaurant at Canyon River.

If you are in the area play both.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157695180620932 The Ranch Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157697962539264 Canyon River Photos

42271997814_44a859fafe_c.jpg

The Ranch #3 from tee

28122346537_079ae53400_c.jpg

The Ranch #4 par 3 160 yards

42271988744_06cdb0f002_c.jpg

The Ranch #16 from tee

42088853925_f63de44507_c.jpg

The Ranch #18 from tee

43054130751_674bba89de_c.jpg

Canyon River #6 from tee par 5

43004271572_a91ef576e4_c.jpg

Canyon River #11 approach from right rough

41243696270_8b2e361bee_c.jpg

Canyon River #12 par 3 150 yards

41243693750_80bdc2b046_c.jpg

Canyon River #14 par 3 160 yard drop shot

Nice photos. I can see where you are standing, and I feel like the photos dont do the elevation changes justice.

Hope you had fun in Missoula.

I find 7 at Ranch Club a little gimmicky, you?

It's difficult to get photos where the full feel of elevation is shown.

I loved Missoula. Several good golf options and the vibe of the old down area was pretty cool.

As a single playing the Ranch for the first time it was difficult to figure out what the best strategy is for #7. I hit a good tee shot and had a relatively easy carry over the larger water hazard on the left so the right side landing area didnt come into play for me. Not sure if thats the option for really big hitters off the tee. I had no issue with that hole and made par. :)

I might put #7 in the worst designed hole thread.

If you are beast off the tee the short lake is out of play. And the second lake isn’t really in play either. If you are a medium hitter then getting on in three is pretty pedestrian, playing like you did. If you are short it’s a par 6 or more.

But unless you are stupid long, getting on in 2 is nigh impossible. So there is really no way to exceed your expectations with two great shots. I find it boring bc of this. The first few times I played it I thought it was interesting, now? Not so much.

Nice pics. I never updated this post but I ended up playing Northern Pines around Kalispell when I was up there and then stopping at Old Works on my way over to Bozeman. I was amazed at how late it stayed light enough to play!

I might have another trip out there in August-September. If I do, I'll definitely check out Ranch Club and Canyon River.

Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

• 1 month later...

Found this thread looking up Canyon River, which I think I'll play Wednesday. Last week I played Old Works and liked it a lot. The front nine has a lot of great views and a close connection with the mining history of the site. The back nine, by comparison, is a little generic. Not bad at all, just more down in the valley where, except for the black bunkers, it could be any other Nicklaus course out west, while the front nine is distinctive.

Other noteworthy courses on this trip were Rochelle Ranch in WY and Gamble Sands. Both highly recommended, though kinda tough to get to unless they're on your way.

Found this thread looking up Canyon River, which I think I'll play Wednesday. Last week I played Old Works and liked it a lot. The front nine has a lot of great views and a close connection with the mining history of the site. The back nine, by comparison, is a little generic. Not bad at all, just more down in the valley where, except for the black bunkers, it could be any other Nicklaus course out west, while the front nine is distinctive.

Other noteworthy courses on this trip were Rochelle Ranch in WY and Gamble Sands. Both highly recommended, though kinda tough to get to unless they're on your way.

You had good weather for Canyon. What did you think of it?

I enjoyed it, wrote it up a little more at the end of this thread here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1600642-suggestions-for-cross-country-golf-trip/#entry17945960

Of all the courses on this trip, Canyon River was the only "residential" one. Now that I think about it, it makes sense because many courses like it, where you have trips across streets and between houses every few holes, are private and they don't WANT random out-of-state golfers wandering around. It's not a complaint except that it reduces walkability; if I were a guest in one of those houses I'd think it was awesome. Unless I couldn't get on or play in less than 5 hours because the course had to sell 20k rounds a year to stay afloat. It's still pretty, though. Back nine especially.

I enjoyed it, wrote it up a little more at the end of this thread here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1600642-suggestions-for-cross-country-golf-trip/#entry17945960

Of all the courses on this trip, Canyon River was the only "residential" one. Now that I think about it, it makes sense because many courses like it, where you have trips across streets and between houses every few holes, are private and they don't WANT random out-of-state golfers wandering around. It's not a complaint except that it reduces walkability; if I were a guest in one of those houses I'd think it was awesome. Unless I couldn't get on or play in less than 5 hours because the course had to sell 20k rounds a year to stay afloat. It's still pretty, though. Back nine especially.

I was glad you had good weather. I enjoy the course, and I agree with you, it is not a “walkable” course, or at least not a pleasant walk. I hadn’t seen the original thread. I would say you picked the correct public course to play in Missoula.