Scotland Golf Trip 101 (The Compass Guide)

It appears that singles can book advanced tee times for the 'Old Course - Single Golfer' category. That includes a round at the Old Course and the Castle Course. 'Probably worth taking a shot with dates in late April, mid-May, and late May.

If I don't have enough courses played by the end of my February trip, it's fairly easy to add a couple playing locally in March and early April.

I applied for three periods (April 22 - May 3, May 13 - 24, and May 27 - Jun 7). Fingers crossed, but I'm guessing a single trying to get out on one of 29 days should have a good chance.

Hope it works out and good luck with the quest!

Thanks. One way or another I'm going to play the Old Course as my 500th even if I have to fly there, and show up at 4 am for four straight days. After 499 courses, and over 1200 rounds played, the other courses are secondary in my quest. Lol. Of course, I'm a loony.

You just never know. I’ve shown up at 1am and been s*** out and shown up at 11am and had no issue (less than 2 weeks ago). Generally I would say 3-4am is safe.

So my Fiance said if I could get a time at Murifield that she was cool with me playing there alone. But did they recently start allowing women? Does anyone know of a woman going as a "visitor" and not a member? I know the probability of playing there, in general, is slim, but am just gathering info. Thanks!

So my Fiance said if I could get a time at Murifield that she was cool with me playing there alone. But did they recently start allowing women? Does anyone know of a woman going as a "visitor" and not a member? I know the probability of playing there, in general, is slim, but am just gathering info. Thanks!

No issues with female visitors, that's what most of the members wives had to do before they voted to change the constitution of the club.

You'll be able to see tee time availability on their website, you can only play Tuesdays and Thursdays.

http://www.muirfield.org.uk/visitors/

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

No issues with female visitors, that's what most of the members wives had to do before they voted to change the constitution of the club.

You'll be able to see tee time availability on their website, you can only play Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thank you. Booked up til next December. Bummer!!

I got a note from North Berwick saying you can’t play the back tees at 6500. Something like they are reserved for member tournaments. I mean I guess it’s true if that’s what they say but wonder if they make exceptions. Only 6100 otherwise. I’m sure it would still be fun and challenging but seems kind of ridiculous.

I got a note from North Berwick saying you can't play the back tees at 6500. Something like they are reserved for member tournaments. I mean I guess it's true if that's what they say but wonder if they make exceptions. Only 6100 otherwise. I'm sure it would still be fun and challenging but seems kind of ridiculous.

At most of those clubs, visitors get to play the visitors tees. They allow you to play at their course, be happy and enjoy it.

Not sure what you’re looking at, I see a number of available times.

Not sure But sometimes Hen I check iT on mobile version it doesn't seem to work , the "

Application"

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Really? I get this for every date I check. I have only the couple weeks that I would be there, then I check like 3 more weeks after just to see. First opening I saw was december.

41079317_10213013891564367_4717323238743474176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=94463d0829591409adc48a8a522119cf&oe=5C2E0378

muirfield only allows foursomes to be booked ahead of time ... they will do what they can to put singles on a list for possible openings, though i do not know how they handle that with a group that is already booked ... and their booking for 2019 opened in march, so they're most def booked up for next summer ...

Really? I get this for every date I check. I have only the couple weeks that I would be there, then I check like 3 more weeks after just to see. First opening I saw was december.

41079317_10213013891564367_4717323238743474176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=94463d0829591409adc48a8a522119cf&oe=5C2E0378

I didn’t see where you had listed any dates when I responded. I had glanced at March and April and there were multiple days as well in October-Dec. Adding to what tiderider said, I contacted the club booking secretary as I was a single and she was able to accommodate me.

Not sure what you're looking at, I see a number of available times.

I didn't see where you had listed any dates when I responded. I had glanced at March and April and there were multiple days as well in October-Dec. Adding to what tiderider said, I contacted the club booking secretary as I was a single and she was able to accommodate me.

Thanks, I may try to do the same. If we don't get on TOC with the advanced reservation we are going to transition the trip and either go north or west.

Just got back from a 5 day trip in Scotland 8/17-22... played Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Old Course, and Muirfield in that order. Stayed in St Andrews until the last day when we drove to Muirfield early AM and post-round drove back/stayed in Edinburgh for our return flight the next morning. We (my buddy and I) got on Muirfield by emailing the secretary a few months in advance and got on waiting list. She confirmed a few weeks prior to our trip. Moved around a couple other tee times to make it happen. Didn't have an Old Course tee time, missed out on the 48hr ballot, so waited in the line at Old Course Pavilion in the AM Monday... first person in line got there at midnight, I showed up at 5am and was 18th in line. The first 12 guys in line got guaranteed tee times, the rest of us were on waiting list. I ended up able to tee off at 10:10am as a single. Trip was off the charts. Can't recommend it enough.

Just got back from a 5 day trip in Scotland 8/17-22... played Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Old Course, and Muirfield in that order. Stayed in St Andrews until the last day when we drove to Muirfield early AM and post-round drove back/stayed in Edinburgh for our return flight the next morning. We (my buddy and I) got on Muirfield by emailing the secretary a few months in advance and got on waiting list. She confirmed a few weeks prior to our trip. Moved around a couple other tee times to make it happen. Didn't have an Old Course tee time, missed out on the 48hr ballot, so waited in the line at Old Course Pavilion in the AM Monday... first person in line got there at midnight, I showed up at 5am and was 18th in line. The first 12 guys in line got guaranteed tee times, the rest of us were on waiting list. I ended up able to tee off at 10:10am as a single. Trip was off the charts. Can't recommend it enough.

Sounds like an excellent trip!! Those are 4 strong courses! I'm hopeful I'll get some good news about Muirfield from Ms. Bent in the future. She said she'd let me know when/if something opens up next July for me. Not sure if I should follow up with her a few months beforehand or if I should just trust her and not push my luck by bugging her.

Which course was your favorite/least favorite? Did you have a caddie for each round? Sounds like a great trip.

I got a note from North Berwick saying you can’t play the back tees at 6500. Something like they are reserved for member tournaments. I mean I guess it’s true if that’s what they say but wonder if they make exceptions. Only 6100 otherwise. I’m sure it would still be fun and challenging but seems kind of ridiculous.

North Berwick is a great course no matter what tees you play. It's just the way it is over here in Scotland, white tees are only played on for competitions so that they don't get too beat up.

Just go and enjoy the round, it's the most fun I've had on a course regardless of the score I've had and I've played it a handful of times.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

It's just the way it is over here in Scotland, white tees are only played on for competitions so that they don't get too beat up.

In the 7 rounds I played last month, I think every one we played under 6300 yards. Not once did I feel slighted or cheated as just about every hole presented a multitude of options off the tee as well as into the green.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

You will be surprised how a 6100 yrd course will challenge you. If the wind/weather is up the course becomes a beast. Played here the last week of July in 30+ winds. The outward 9 we had the wind at our backs and felt like pros (1-3 clubs less) with most shots. Our caddie just smiled and said enjoy as we would be in for a treat in the inward 9. He was not kidding, I hit driver into the Redan (#15) which on the card is only 178 yrds. This was one of the best days I have had playing golf, ignore the perceived (short) length for visitors and embrace it. You will not be disappointed with North Berwick.

Cheers,

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

You will be surprised how a 6100 yrd course will challenge you. If the wind/weather is up the course becomes a beast. Played here the last week of July in 30+ winds. The outward 9 we had the wind at our backs and felt like pros (1-3 clubs less) with most shots. Our caddie just smiled and said enjoy as we would be in for a treat in the inward 9. He was not kidding, I hit driver into the Redan (#15) which on the card is only 178 yrds. This was one of the best days I have had playing golf, ignore the perceived (short) length for visitors and embrace it. You will not be disappointed with North Berwick.

Cheers,

Going to Scotland and not playing in some serious wind would be like being robbed.

The day we played the Old Course the winds started at about 25 kph when we teed off and were about 65-70 kph (not kidding) when we made the turn and came in.

I drove the green on every par 4 coming in and hit my drive 470 yards (yes, really. We measured it on my GPS) on the Road Hole. Made a good par from the 18th tee box. :D

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Which course was your favorite/least favorite? Did you have a caddie for each round? Sounds like a great trip.

Favorite had to be the Old Course simply for the amount of times I have watched it being played on TV and the history. All four of the courses were unique and fun in their own way. Carnoustie was the most difficult but really fun IMO, Kingsbarns was the most scenic, and Muirfield was beautifully awesome but had the most penal, long rough for off target shots. I would play all four again if I had the chance, but I guess if you made me cut one from the 4 it would probably be Kingsbarns for me. My playing partner liked Kingsbarns the best of the four, so it is different for everyone. That's just my opinion and keep in mind I have only played them all one time in very tame (10-15mph wind/55-65 deg temp) conditions.

Favorite had to be the Old Course simply for the amount of times I have watched it being played on TV and the history. All four of the courses were unique and fun in their own way. Carnoustie was the most difficult but really fun IMO, Kingsbarns was the most scenic, and Muirfield was beautifully awesome but had the most penal, long rough for off target shots. I would play all four again if I had the chance, but I guess if you made me cut one from the 4 it would probably be Kingsbarns for me. My playing partner liked Kingsbarns the best of the four, so it is different for everyone. That's just my opinion and keep in mind I have only played them all one time in very tame (10-15mph wind/55-65 deg temp) conditions.

If it is even remotely helpful I've played all of them several times with the exception of Muirfield which I have only played twice. TOC is by far my favorite and I've never not had an absolute blast playing there. It isn't that hard. In fact, it is downright easy on days with no wind which I have seen but you can definitely see the brilliance in the design and it is just a fun course to play. Carnoustie is second. I've never been there when it wasn't wind. 17 is perhaps the hardest hole I've ever played in relation to par. Kingsbarns is third but I think 18 is a hole that doesn't fit the rest of the course and should be changed. It just seems out of place. Muirfield is a distant fourth but also wonderful.

This year I went with a friend who had never been before and we played Machrihanish Old, Machrihanish Dunes, Old, Jubilee, New, Castle and Carnoustie. His favorite was Old but then put Machrihanish Old next followed by New, Carnoustie, Castle, Jubilee and Machrihanish Dunes. If I had to rank them it would be Old-New-MO-Carnoustie-Jubliee-Dunes-Castle but, to be clear, I have played all of them before and gladly went back so it isn't like I think any of them are lesser courses IMO. Old is one of the few courses that can combine design influence, history and setting to make it just a different experience. I consider myself to be very fortunate every time I'm there.

• 1 month later...

I just received my confirmation for the singles lottery. Sweet. I'm booked for the Castle Course on April 23rd at 11 am, and the Old Course on April 24th at 11:20 am. It's a little earlier in the year than I was hoping for, but I'll take it. Hopefully the weather will be cooperative.

This is my first trip across the pond. I'll likely take a red eye that arrives early in the morning. Given that I have to take a train/bus to St Andrews, I imagine I won't play on round on the day of arrival. I guess an afternoon round is a possibility. Any thoughts on playing the afternoon of arrival?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I just received my confirmation for the singles lottery. Sweet. I'm booked for the Castle Course on April 23rd at 11 am, and the Old Course on April 24th at 11:20 am. It's a little earlier in the year than I was hoping for, but I'll take it. Hopefully the weather will be cooperative.

This is my first trip across the pond. I'll likely take a red eye that arrives early in the morning. Given that I have to take a train/bus to St Andrews, I imagine I won't play on round on the day of arrival. I guess an afternoon round is a possibility. Any thoughts on playing the afternoon of arrival?

New or Jubillee would be easy to walk-on.

For such a small airport - dont underestimate how much of a CLUSTER the Edinburgh airport is.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

New or Jubillee would be easy to walk-on.

For such a small airport - dont underestimate how much of a CLUSTER the Edinburgh airport is.

Cluster X 10!

How well you sleep/handle the flight/train or bus/weather/your eventual arrival time in St. Andrews will all play into it for sure.

Might end up being a good day to take in the sights in and around town - nosing around the Old Course complex, British Golf Museum, Castle and Cathedral ruins would fill up a day not to mention just enjoying strolling around town. You may already have that on your itinerary for parts of other days, who knows.

Or ..... go play! Take a taxi to Crail for a nice little round and experience, for example, just to get your feet wet.

I play the day I arrive the overwhelming majority of the time.

Thanks. With an 11 am tee time at the Castle course on Tuesday, I can't imagine that I could land early in the morning, and manage to make my way to the course by that time. It's looking like I'll have to fly out Sunday evening for a Monday morning arrival.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Thanks. With an 11 am tee time at the Castle course on Tuesday, I can't imagine that I could land early in the morning, and manage to make my way to the course by that time. It's looking like I'll have to fly out Sunday evening for a Monday morning arrival.

Obviously don't know your plans or options, but if you flew out Saturday evening and spent a couple of hours on Sunday just walking the fairways of the Old Course (great experience to take advantage of) . . . then you've got Monday to golf nearby and get ready for the mystical experiences that await.

Thoughts on Castle over New? We have plans for Old, Kingsbarns, North Berwick, Muirfield and we have to play 1 other course at St Andrews. My thinking is this, I know Castle is new, and you aren't getting the history or "true" Scottish experience. My fiance, who is a really good golfer and can't wait to play in Scotland, loves beautiful courses (Arcadia Bluffs, Pebble, Bandon etc). Do the views make it worth it? I feel like we have 3 great all time courses in TOC, NB and Muirfield. Would Kingsbarns and Castle be too similar, or not worth traveling that far to play both? (I'm not comparing the quality, but they are both new designs, moved land, great views etc). I guess I am stuck on going to Scotland and playing courses that I am older than.