2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Popeye, were you able to get swingweights with the TS-1 irons? I have a set of NS Pro 950's I'd like to stick these heads onto, but my calculations show that I'd be in the C7-C8 range without adding any extra weight.

The NS Pros (Stiff) are 103 grams which are the same as or close to your DG 105s (103 grams for .355 stiff, 107 grams for .370 stiff). Not sure which shaft you put in these heads since they take both parallel and tapered.

The TS-1 heads are 6 grams lighter than the current iron heads I have on these shafts (KZG Evolution) which may make getting to D2 a bit of a challenge.

The TS-1 weighed in at D1. That was the 7i. DG 105 S300 shaft at standard iron length or 36 3/4 with the New Decade +4 align grip. The TS-2 which is an identical build was just marginally below a D1.

I played 18 today and came out of the tee box so that I could play the TS-1 PW or the 7i into the hole for the from 9. On the back I forgot they were in the bag and just played as I normally would.

On the front I had some spectacular shots into the green and a few that were just a bit off the mark but nothing more than just off the green. With the smaller head that little bit of doubt creeps in. I'm sure some more playing time would erase that but the forgiveness that the TS-2 gives me makes me miss them.

On the back 9 I was stepping up to the ball with confidence no matter what the lie was. That slightly wider sole makes quite a difference,, I was swinging with out any doubt or worry for the result. I stuck the flag on nearly every green and was rarely more than 8' out. A few were inside of 6'. ( I CANT SINK A PUTT IF MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT LATELY). On 3 different shots I honestly thought it was going in on the fly. It was a solid -1 for 18 today,, held back by a two way miss driver swing.

Let me see if I can explain the difference between the TS-1 and the TS-2. The TS-1 is the hot sister that everyone is chasing. She wears a bikini in the grocery store, can have some attitude at times, knows she is hot and might be banging your best friend.

The TS-2 wears a pencil skirt and a low cut button down shirt with big rimmed glasses. She is hot in a different way. She cooks, she cleans and she earns good money. She also is a closet freak. Enough said...

How does the top line of the PTM compare to the TS-2?

I played 18 today and came out of the tee box so that I could play the TS-1 PW or the 7i into the hole for the from 9. On the back I forgot they were in the bag and just played as I normally would.

On the front I had some spectacular shots into the green and a few that were just a bit off the mark but nothing more than just off the green. With the smaller head that little bit of doubt creeps in. I'm sure some more playing time would erase that but the forgiveness that the TS-2 gives me makes me miss them.

On the back 9 I was stepping up to the ball with confidence no matter what the lie was. That slightly wider sole makes quite a difference,, I was swinging with out any doubt or worry for the result. I stuck the flag on nearly every green and was rarely more than 8' out. A few were inside of 6'. ( I CANT SINK A PUTT IF MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT LATELY). On 3 different shots I honestly thought it was going in on the fly. It was a solid -1 for 18 today,, held back by a two way miss driver swing.

Let me see if I can explain the difference between the TS-1 and the TS-2. The TS-1 is the hot sister that everyone is chasing. She wears a bikini in the grocery store, can have some attitude at times, knows she is hot and might be banging your best friend.

The TS-2 wears a pencil skirt and a low cut button down shirt with big rimmed glasses. She is hot in a different way. She cooks, she cleans and she earns good money. She also is a closet freak. Enough said...

======================

Which one is more like the MMB?

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

======================

Which one is more like the MMB?

The TS-1 is definitely more MMB. I would say the feel is right between the MMB-17 and the MMB Blacks. Though I find the TS-1 more forgiving and they seem to fly a good bit straighter. Though i have only done a minimal head to head with the MMB and the TS-1.

TS-2 is on the right and is thicker than the PTM on the left but the PTM has a longer blade length. Behind the ball I always felt as if the PTM was huge. So even though the top line is bigger the TS-2 seems more compact in play.

I know a lot of guys are turned off by the big top line of the TS-2 but after a few rounds I didnt even notice it. 1bb356586e058b42a393606fec4b3623.jpg

TS-2 is on the right and is thicker than the PTM on the left but the PTM has a longer blade length. Behind the ball I always felt as if the PTM was huge. So even though the top line is bigger the TS-2 seems more compact in play.

I know a lot of guys are turned off by the big top line of the TS-2 but after a few rounds I didnt even notice it. 1bb356586e058b42a393606fec4b3623.jpg

Thank you! I don’t know which to get between the two. I guess I’ll order one of each and let the clubs make the decision.

I love my DBM's but really want to try some of Maltby's new offerings. I think the only reason I'd consider new irons is because I want the change to lighter steel shafts.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

I love my DBM's but really want to try some of Maltby's new offerings. I think the only reason I'd consider new irons is because I want the change to lighter steel shafts.

While I have easily transitioned to light shafts in woods (~55gm), I have failed miserably at attempts with lighter iron shafts. I just built a beautiful set of PTMs with 70gm Recoil shafts. I'll hit 3 good shots, and then one 30 yards left or right. I just can't get the consistency in my swing with light iron shafts. For me, around 110gm seems to be optimal.

While I have easily transitioned to light shafts in woods (~55gm), I have failed miserably at attempts with lighter iron shafts. I just built a beautiful set of PTMs with 70gm Recoil shafts. I'll hit 3 good shots, and then one 30 yards left or right. I just can't get the consistency in my swing with light iron shafts. For me, around 110gm seems to be optimal.

Could also be a bend profile issue. Very few lighter weight shafts have bend profiles that compare to much heavier shafts.

Also, a 70 gram iron shaft is actually lighter "in proportion" to a 55g driver shaft, when considering a balanced ascending weight set. Starting with a 55g driver, try to get closer to 65-70g fairways, 75-85g hybrids, and then 95-110 irons/wedges

You know what's amazing? I was at a pro shop, and asked about Maltby. No one there, 7 guys (2 of which are on this site), know of the company.

The recurring comment was that this is a component company and they wouldn't trust their games to something like that.

I kinda figure that these are coming from the same manufacturing sites as the "big boys" clubs (TM, Titleist, etc). Am I wrong?

You know what's amazing? I was at a pro shop, and asked about Maltby. No one there, 7 guys (2 of which are on this site), know of the company.

The recurring comment was that this is a component company and they wouldn't trust their games to something like that.

I kinda figure that these are coming from the same manufacturing sites as the "big boys" clubs (TM, Titleist, etc). Am I wrong?

It's just ignorance on those guys part (willful or otherwise). They've probably never heard of Ralph Maltby then. Ask them if they know who Tom Wishon is. As for where the Maltby stuff is made IDK but there aren't a million foundries out there churning out golf equipment so there's a strong possibility that they are made in some of the same ones as the OEM's. Just a guess on my part.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

No you are not wrong. The heads are cast or forged in China at the same factories that do work for the OEMs. Same for the shafts that carry the Maltby brand. The same high end factories.

The OEM heads are nothing but components as well that are just assembled for you. Malby has the same quality control levels and tolerances.

The OEMs do their design work and then have some prototypes built and then they tweak the design a few times before they have a production run. The exact same thing Maltby does.

Malby has the stigma of other component companies in that they are building knockoffs. That couldnt be any further from the truth. They do their own design work and testing. Plus over the years they have also done design work for some of the OEMs.

If Maltby had a couple of tour guys playing their gear every thing would change.

• Like 1

I was listening to a interview with a guy on the new cobra (I think, might have been ping) wedges with the diamonized black coating, he kept calling it new and how amazing it was and how only one foundry in China know the recipe behind it. So assuming he wasn't full of crap this is the one golfworks has been using for years with their dbm coatings. So let them enjoy their oem knockoffs of Maltby DBM clubs.

I was listening to a interview with a guy on the new cobra (I think, might have been ping) wedges with the diamonized black coating, he kept calling it new and how amazing it was and how only one foundry in China know the recipe behind it. So assuming he wasn't full of crap this is the one golfworks has been using for years with their dbm coatings. So let them enjoy their oem knockoffs of Maltby DBM clubs.

Video about the king black wedges and dbm coating

It's a shame because the DBM coating was first done by Maltby quite a few years ago. HOGAN,, called it a proprietary coating which is crap,,, and to tell you the truth the design of their irons looks really familiar.

Matby also has a new driver in the works with a new construction process that will allow them to do things that have not been done before,,,, so who knows how long before an OEM claims they had that process first.

I do a decent amount of fittings and I never hesitate to have someone test an OEM side by side to a Maltby. The results speak for themselves.

I dug a little and the DBM irons were released over 5 years ago.

It's a shame because the DBM coating was first done by Maltby quite a few years ago. HOGAN,, called it a proprietary coating which is crap,,, and to tell you the truth the design of their irons looks really familiar.

Matby also has a new driver in the works with a new construction process that will allow them to do things that have not been done before,,,, so who knows how long before an OEM claims they had that process first.

I do a decent amount of fittings and I never hesitate to have someone test an OEM side by side to a Maltby. The results speak for themselves.

Any info on this driver????

No its hush hush. Very little info. They used to make some increadible drivers so I have some good hopes for this one. I have heard it's an early 2019 release.

Can the DBM irons be bent? I tried to adjust a Tricept wedge and it snapped like an uncooked spaghetti noodle.
the DBM process makes the metal more brittle.

Not saying you can’t do it, but some have complained before about wedges and the like of them snapping.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

No its hush hush. Very little info. They used to make some increadible drivers so I have some good hopes for this one. I have heard it's an early 2019 release.

Wasn’t there another DBM release this year?

Also those shafts you had, they don’t look like what was released, no?

Can the DBM irons be bent? I tried to adjust a Tricept wedge and it snapped like an uncooked spaghetti noodle.
It can be done, I have adjusted a few DBMs and one MMB Black but i warmed them up first and was very,, very cautious. I think,,, Golfworks will bend them 1° and 1°only. If you try to bend them all I can say is good luck.

@Minarets The MMB Blacks were the last release of that process and that was a limited run. Britt was looking into the possible finish for a run of the TS-1 or 2 but promised nothing.

You are right that shaft was not released. He is reworking it. It's a shame because it added a good 8 yards over a lightweight steel shaft.

@Minarets The MMB Blacks were the last release of that process and that was a limited run. Britt was looking into the possible finish for a run of the TS-1 or 2 but promised nothing.

You are right that shaft was not released. He is reworking it. It's a shame because it added a good 8 yards over a lightweight steel shaft.

Yeah I was impressed with your distance gains with that shaft.

The more DBM finish the better imo.

It can be done, I have adjusted a few DBMs and one MMB Black but i warmed them up first and was very,, very cautious. I think,,, Golfworks will bend them 1° and 1°only. If you try to bend them all I can say is good luck.

Cribbed these photos off of the GW site from a reviewer who said they snapped as soon as he started to apply pressure to bend. And in their QA section they now say they will not bend the DBM finish due to breakage concerns.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX