Putting in 2019 - Flagstick in or out?

PingEye2

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be out for 90+% of my putts. There's simply a larger hole if it's out.

The times I'll leave it in are when I have a super-slick downhiller that I think I cannot possibly stop, or when I'm just a LONG ways away and don't feel like taking the time to take the pin out for the 1% chance the putt might go in.

For our group we will probably leave it in for all long putts, but take it out for 10 ftish and in. I think if people leave the flag in it will save time on the golf course and speed up play. I would like to see people finish out their putt when it's their turn and not wait for a 2 ft longer to putt first. Of course if someone's lying is in the way wait till that person Parts, I'm not wanting to step on someone else's line.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I would like to see people finish out their putt when it's their turn and not wait for a 2 ft longer to putt first. Of course if someone's lying is in the way wait till that person Parts, I'm not wanting to step on someone else's line.

Since we can also tap down spike marks with the new 2019 rules I think stepping in somebody's line is a moot point. I'd like to see everybody putt everything out, unless of course it's a match play event or something.

I would like to see people finish out their putt when it's their turn and not wait for a 2 ft longer to putt first. Of course if someone's lying is in the way wait till that person Parts, I'm not wanting to step on someone else's line.

Since we can also tap down spike marks with the new 2019 rules I think stepping in somebody's line is a moot point. I'd like to see everybody putt everything out, unless of course it's a match play event or something.

Spike marks may not be an issue but the depression left by a large man is another story. I’m 265#. I doubt you want me stepping in your line

Spike marks may not be an issue but the depression left by a large man is another story. I’m 265#. I doubt you want me stepping in your line

Haha

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Out. And it’s going to irritate me when someone wants it left in . And it will happen.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

While I always leave it in for chips, my putting speed is much better so any advantage of having it in will be negated.

That said, I do recall on one hole today where of the three of us, the closest was maybe 30 feet. I needed the pin tended, and I would have putted with it in if there was no chance of penalty. It took an extra minute or two with all the tended puns, but overall mattered zero.

I can't wait for the first tourney I play and there will be one guy who always wants it in. It will happen... That will be fun...

While I always leave it in for chips, my putting speed is much better so any advantage of having it in will be negated.

That said, I do recall on one hole today where of the three of us, the closest was maybe 30 feet. I needed the pin tended, and I would have putted with it in if there was no chance of penalty. It took an extra minute or two with all the tended puns, but overall mattered zero.

I can't wait for the first tourney I play and there will be one guy who always wants it in. It will happen... That will be fun...

Not sure why it's a big deal. And it's really only going to ever help. A putt should never have enough speed to bounce off flag and not go in hole.

Hadn’t thought of that. Potential to speed up the game but also potential to slow it down. I’m going to want it in or out depending on however the statistical evidence indicates when in competition. In casual rounds whatever is fastest, which is probably leaving it in.

Not sure why it's a big deal. And it's really only going to ever help. A putt should never have enough speed to bounce off flag and not go in hole.

Because it will slow down the group when they have to put it back in for the one guy everytime. Or do you expect the whole group to putt with it in ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Because it will slow down the group when they have to put it back in for the one guy everytime. Or do you expect the whole group to putt with it in ?

People can do what they want. If you're so worried about what your competitors are doing and them keeping the flag in gets to you, you have already lost.

People can do what they want. If you're so worried about what your competitors are doing and them keeping the flag in gets to you, you have already lost.

A big part of the change is the theory it will speed up play ... however, in the (hopefully rare) event you have two guys who prefer it in - playing with two guys who prefer it out - it will definitely not speed up play ... for myself, I'll mix it up - but on days when the greens are wetter and putting with less break I'll definitely leave it in and nail the putt to the hole

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

I’ll probably take it out anytime I bring a wedge to the green. I’m in the habit of laying my wedge across the stick so my dumbWord not allowed doesn’t walk off without it.

I hate when people lay clubs on the flagstick, almost never are they the first to finish the hole so you have to toss their clubs off it all day long.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Ill probably take it out anytime I bring a wedge to the green. Im in the habit of laying my wedge across the stick so my dumbWord not allowed doesnt walk off without it.

I hate when people lay clubs on the flagstick, almost never are they the first to finish the hole so you have to toss their clubs off it all day long.

Why wouldn’t you just hand them to them rather than toss them off? Most everyone I play with will, at least a couple of times a round, pick up others clubs. Both to be polite and help assure none are left behind.

Still not an issue. A good portion of everyone who's played the hole before me has stepped on some part of my line, and plenty of them are jumbos. I'd rather play a bit quicker than have everyone worry where tubby steps.

Still not an issue. A good portion of everyone who's played the hole before me has stepped on some part of my line, and plenty of them are jumbos. I'd rather play a bit quicker than have everyone worry where tubby steps.

Well the counter argument here is that often some spike and shoe impressions take a few minutes to recover (at least under some green conditions). So the previous group stepping in your line 10 minutes earlier is no problem. But right before you putt can be troublesome.

funny you say this, I was playing a foursomes match the other day, we were 2 up through 10, and on 11 one of the opponents had a par putt on a shot hole, putting from the fringe he left the flag in, now this putt had some heat on it and was easily going 6 foot by, hits the flag dead centre but pops back towards him. He can't believe it, starts damning his bad luck, blaming the flagstick etc. "it hit the flag dead centre" he proclaims. My partner then rolls our birdie putt from the fringe perfect weight that it kissed the centre of the flag as it dropped in. "how is that fair" he exclaimed. Clearly oblivious to the fact he was lucky they had a 1 inch bogey putt rather than 6 foot, from then on his head was gone and we thrashed them

I fear people may actually start putting worse if they just try and hit the flag firmly

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Lol. I’m not even talking competition. I’m just talking the Sunday skins game. Some jackwagon will insist on having the pin putt back in for his 20 footer everytime now. This will sow the group down a touch. No huge deal. Just something to roll my eyes at.

I don’t suspect any real competition will include anyone who wants the flag left in in less is a terrible downhill putt.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I disagree, the green “recovers†over a few minutes but a heavy person, especially on a softer green, makes a depression that can affect a putt for a short period.

I’ll probably take it out anytime I bring a wedge to the green. I’m in the habit of laying my wedge across the stick so my dumbWord not allowed doesn’t walk off without it.

Why wouldn’t you just hand them to them rather than toss them off? Most everyone I play with will, at least a couple of times a round, pick up others clubs. Both to be polite and help assure none are left behind.

Because I'm not their personal caddy, and I don't really want other people touching my stuff. I live by the same rules in golf as in life, don't touch another man's balls or shaft. Works well in all situations.

Definitely going to take it out, especially with the thick flagsticks seen in my area. A putt going two feet by would bounce off the flag and not go in.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV