From shooting 105 to 75 in a year

 Irishgolfer88 ·  
Irishgolfer88Irishgolfer88 Members  96WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Posts: 96
Joined:  in Instruction & Academy #1
Well guys



I returned to golf last summer after a 13 year break and my first few competivite rounds i couldnt break a 100



I shot a 75 yesterday my best ever round and won the competition by a huge margin (playing off 18)



I have been cut to 12 and was never so happy .



I would credit the huge improvement to regular coaching over the winter and a few weeks back I purchased Montes Drive for Dough



It has been a game changer and I have never driven the ball so well



My next aim is to get to single figures



Happy golfing to ye all



Irish Golfer
Posted:
1

Comments

  • q-schoolq-school Members  481WRX Points: 96Posts: 481 Greens
    Joined:  #2
    Even a 12 shooting competition 75 would raise eyebrows around here. Congrats on your great round and if you keep it up you will be single digit shortly. Color me jealous!



    Where did the stroke reduction come from? Less penalties off tee? Better putting? Everything?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MiggaletoeMiggaletoe Members  186WRX Points: 72Posts: 186 Fairways
    Joined:  #3
    A 12 shooting 75 would have a lot of people losing their s***...
    Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32696WRX Points: 2,978Posts: 32,696 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #4
    That is most impressive!
    Posted:

    Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

    Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

    In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

     

  • Irishgolfer88Irishgolfer88 Members  96WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Posts: 96
    Joined:  #5
    q-school wrote:


    Even a 12 shooting competition 75 would raise eyebrows around here. Congrats on your great round and if you keep it up you will be single digit shortly. Color me jealous!



    Where did the stroke reduction come from? Less penalties off tee? Better putting? Everything?




    Hi Sir



    I had a lot of lessons over winter and my ball striking was pretty good however my short game was poor , my coach said my ball striking was of a very low golfer



    For about 4 weeks my driving was terrible , I purchased Montes Drive for Dough and a few tips out of it sorted my driving , i have been hitting it long and very staight



    I also got a second hand vokey sand wedge off a friend and it has helped my chipping immensely
    Posted:
  • Irishgolfer88Irishgolfer88 Members  96WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Posts: 96
    Joined:  #6
    Miggaletoe wrote:


    A 12 shooting 75 would have a lot of people losing their s***...




    i was lucky the two guys playing with me are very high up in the club , i was expecting a lot of calls and questions lol

    Sean2 wrote:


    That is most impressive!




    thank you very much
    Posted:
  • msgmsg Members  408WRX Points: 106Handicap: 8Posts: 408 Greens
    Joined:  #7
    Congrats! That is no easy feat!



    I just scored 100 last week and then 78 this week too.



    My 100 though was due to a bad hangover. image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • wadesworldwadesworld Members  667WRX Points: 37Posts: 667 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #8






    i was lucky the two guys playing with me are very high up in the club , i was expecting a lot of calls and questions lol






    I doubt the others questioned the legitimacy of your 75. They were far more likely to question the legitimacy of your 18.



    Typically one does not shoot 100 to end the season and then put up a 75 the next time out, lessons or no. You had no intervening scores which showed a trend of improvement?
    Posted:
  • dg_1983dg_1983 Members  1284WRX Points: 56Handicap: 0.2Posts: 1,284 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #9
    Nice work!



    Now keep it under 80!
    Posted:
    2014 Low 2.9
    2015 Low 2.6
    2016 Low 2.1
    2017 Target 1.4
    2018 Target 0.4
    2019 Target +15
    Current 0.2
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members  17194WRX Points: 1,422Posts: 17,194 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10
    wadesworld wrote:







    i was lucky the two guys playing with me are very high up in the club , i was expecting a lot of calls and questions lol






    I doubt the others questioned the legitimacy of your 75. They were far more likely to question the legitimacy of your 18.



    Typically one does not shoot 100 to end the season and then put up a 75 the next time out, lessons or no. You had no intervening scores which showed a trend of improvement?




    Only tournament scores count for their handicaps. Casual rounds don’t count.
    Posted:
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members  3632WRX Points: 608Posts: 3,632 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #11
    now go out and do it for 4 consecutive rounds. then report..again image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Ping G400 8.5 LST Ozik F6M2/EVO III FUJI
    Cobra LTD PRO Ozik TP6HD

    Cobra F9 Avalanche 3/4 Atmos 7
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 5/6 Atmos 7
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 58 Modus 120
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
    2020 TOUR B XS
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19533WRX Points: 1,614Posts: 19,533 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #12
    Congratulations! That's impressive shooting. Sorry to be a downer though but your title sounds like an exaggeration. Clearly you knew how to strike the ball but your game was rusty. That's nice work knocking off all the rust and getting back so quickly though. Sometimes some time off will help eliminate bad habits and opens your mind to new ways of doing things. I had about 8 years off and when coming back I was fully re energized and motivated for the game. I went from playing a fade to a draw with no conscious effort, and my previous hate for GI clubs turned to love. A totally different perspective took effect and I can't explain why. At any rate, you should be in single digits very soon.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Irishgolfer88Irishgolfer88 Members  96WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Posts: 96
    Joined:  #13
    Nessism wrote:


    Congratulations! That's impressive shooting. Sorry to be a downer though but your title sounds like an exaggeration. Clearly you knew how to strike the ball but your game was rusty. That's nice work knocking off all the rust and getting back so quickly though. Sometimes some time off will help eliminate bad habits and opens your mind to new ways of doing things. I had about 8 years off and when coming back I was fully re energized and motivated for the game. I went from playing a fade to a draw with no conscious effort, and my previous hate for GI clubs turned to love. A totally different perspective took effect and I can't explain why. At any rate, you should be in single digits very soon.




    Well i was shooting mid 100s for a few weeks last summer and started back playing , I finished off 2017 playing off 17.8 so I have made good progress in the year. Thanks for the nice words thou

    Man_O_War wrote:


    now go out and do it for 4 consecutive rounds. then report..again image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />




    Its the captains prize friday so Il give it my all:P
    Posted:
  • Irishgolfer88Irishgolfer88 Members  96WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Posts: 96
    Joined:  #14
    dg_1983 wrote:


    Nice work!



    Now keep it under 80!




    Thats the plan , thank you

    wadesworld wrote:



    i was lucky the two guys playing with me are very high up in the club , i was expecting a lot of calls and questions lol






    I doubt the others questioned the legitimacy of your 75. They were far more likely to question the legitimacy of your 18.



    Typically one does not shoot 100 to end the season and then put up a 75 the next time out, lessons or no. You had no intervening scores which showed a trend of improvement?




    Hye sir



    I meant last summer i was shooting low 100s and last weekend i shot a 75 , i have been p[laying well a few months now
    Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9629WRX Points: 1,594Posts: 9,629 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #15
    Another Monte success story it seems. I'm hoping he can help my driving woes next month... Not that I would suddenly move to single digits but I shot a 90 the other week with 3 balls OB and 1 ball in a hazard. Nothing more aggravating than being able to hit my 7i 180 but I can't even keep a ball in play.
    Posted:
    D - SIM Max | Tour Z Xtreme 475; 4w - SIM Ti | Diamana B 80; 4h - 818H2 | Tensei White 90; Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120; GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue; SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue; LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue; P - Toulon San Diego or Directed Force 2.1; Ball - TP5 Pix 2.0

    Incoming gear: Speedzone Xtreme 9* Driver,  Speedzone 5w, Speedzone 4i & 5i

  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members  6638WRX Points: 298Posts: 6,638 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16

    dg_1983 wrote:


    Nice work!



    Now keep it under 80!




    Thats the plan , thank you


    wadesworld wrote:



    i was lucky the two guys playing with me are very high up in the club , i was expecting a lot of calls and questions lol






    I doubt the others questioned the legitimacy of your 75. They were far more likely to question the legitimacy of your 18.



    Typically one does not shoot 100 to end the season and then put up a 75 the next time out, lessons or no. You had no intervening scores which showed a trend of improvement?




    Hye sir



    I meant last summer i was shooting low 100s and last weekend i shot a 75 , i have been p[laying well a few months now




    We're very happy for you. But, we all want to know how you did it. Aside, from your short game progress. What are you doing now in the full swing, that you didn't do earlier this year? Thx Tanner
    Posted:
  • Rasser75Rasser75 New ZealandMembers  150WRX Points: 44Handicap: 8ishPosts: 150 Fairways
    Joined:  #17


    Well guys



    I returned to golf last summer after a 13 year break and my first few competivite rounds i couldnt break a 100



    I shot a 75 yesterday my best ever round and won the competition by a huge margin....



    Irish Golfer




    First of all, congrats.



    However, as I read it. You knew the game before.



    The title is a bit misleading, as people might think you as a beginner have gone from shooting 105 to 75 in a year. But this is a come back, which is a bit different. As you have allready been there before.



    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Irishgolfer88Irishgolfer88 Members  96WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Posts: 96
    Joined:  #18
    Rasser75 wrote:



    Well guys



    I returned to golf last summer after a 13 year break and my first few competivite rounds i couldnt break a 100



    I shot a 75 yesterday my best ever round and won the competition by a huge margin....



    Irish Golfer




    First of all, congrats.



    However, as I read it. You knew the game before.



    The title is a bit misleading, as people might think you as a beginner have gone from shooting 105 to 75 in a year. But this is a come back, which is a bit different. As you have allready been there before.




    Thanks for the nice words mate , yes i played golf until i was 16 but i never back then shot a round in the 70s
    Posted:
  • Irishgolfer88Irishgolfer88 Members  96WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Posts: 96
    Joined:  #19
    Tanner25 wrote:


    dg_1983 wrote:


    Nice work!



    Now keep it under 80!




    Thats the plan , thank you


    wadesworld wrote:



    i was lucky the two guys playing with me are very high up in the club , i was expecting a lot of calls and questions lol






    I doubt the others questioned the legitimacy of your 75. They were far more likely to question the legitimacy of your 18.



    Typically one does not shoot 100 to end the season and then put up a 75 the next time out, lessons or no. You had no intervening scores which showed a trend of improvement?




    Hye sir



    I meant last summer i was shooting low 100s and last weekend i shot a 75 , i have been p[laying well a few months now




    We're very happy for you. But, we all want to know how you did it. Aside, from your short game progress. What are you doing now in the full swing, that you didn't do earlier this year? Thx Tanner




    I had a host of lessons over the winter and really improved my striking , I also purchased an odyssesy putter and it made a huge difference to my putting as well as a vokey sand wedge



    the last few weeks thou the Drive for Dough series by Monte was the game changer , im driving up to 280 yards and in the fairway most of the time



    It is much easier playing golf from the fairway for sure

    Z1ggy16 wrote:


    Another Monte success story it seems. I'm hoping he can help my driving woes next month... Not that I would suddenly move to single digits but I shot a 90 the other week with 3 balls OB and 1 ball in a hazard. Nothing more aggravating than being able to hit my 7i 180 but I can't even keep a ball in play.




    Keep at it my friend , he will definelty fix your driving.
    Posted:
  • ZurbZurb Smell the Glove Members  224WRX Points: 0Handicap: 2.3Posts: 224
    Joined:  #20
    SANDBAGGER!



    /thread



    image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> (grats)
    Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9273WRX Points: 2,910Posts: 9,273 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #21
    Congrats! I wen through a rocky year or two fighting the hooks...finally got it under wraps. Over the last year I have shaved 8 strokes off my index and have seen a 20 shot swing between my best/worst scores. Monte was a big part of that as well
    Posted:
  • Irishgolfer88Irishgolfer88 Members  96WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Posts: 96
    Joined:  #22
    had my captains prize today I shot an 83 , course was treacherous and my putting let me down big time

    Krt22 wrote:


    Congrats! I wen through a rocky year or two fighting the hooks...finally got it under wraps. Over the last year I have shaved 8 strokes off my index and have seen a 20 shot swing between my best/worst scores. Monte was a big part of that as well




    well done sir , I need to work on 80 yards in and my putting
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Drewmiller07Drewmiller07 North carolinaMembers  207WRX Points: 106Handicap: I’m Okay I guess. Posts: 207 Fairways
    Joined:  #23
    msg wrote:


    Congrats! That is no easy feat!



    I just scored 100 last week and then 78 this week too.



    My 100 though was due to a bad hangover. image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />




    104 hungover, 78 two days later. I know the effin pain.
    Posted:
  • bulls9999bulls9999 GHIN Index = 12.8Members  982WRX Points: 204Handicap: GHIN Index 12.8Posts: 982 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #24
    I see it so often, its why I don't play too many MGA's, maybe 1 in 3. Some years ago, I was in the Group D flight and our foursome were all 18 HC's. The last guy off the first tee has an iron on the par-5 and the rest of us start chuckling, "playing conservative?" and he says he doesn't carry any woods. Yep, no driver, no FW's, no hybrids....all irons. And he smoke all 3 of our driver drives with his 2-iron. He eagles 2 par 5's with just irons and finishes 18 holes at -1. Wow.



    About 3 months ago, played with my 26-yr old son as member guest. His HC disappeared off GHIN because he just cancelled his membership at his recent course and was taking his time to re-sign up at another course, so he said to put him down as 'scratch', and he shot 74 (2 over). He hadn't played our C.C. club course in 7-8 years where he played routinely in high school. We get paired with another 2-man team, and the 'member' on that team is using a 14-HC and was -2 through 15. My son played Div. II college golf and we were joking that "sure, he's a 14-HC". I even asked the guy "wow, you sure play well for a 14" to which he answered "believe it or not, this is only like the 10th time I played in 10 yrs". Now I'm ready to puke. He finishes at 18 at even par (managed to bogie the last 2 holes I guess after my comment). Where do these people come from?


    Miggaletoe wrote:


    A 12 shooting 75 would have a lot of people losing their s***...
    Posted:
    GHIN Index 12.7
    Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Tensei CK Blue 60-Stiff 
    GBB 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Mitsubishi KuroKage 50 
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW, Recoil 760 F3
    Callaway Rogue 19* 3-Hb, Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
    Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
    Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter
  • Irishgolfer88Irishgolfer88 Members  96WRX Points: 0Handicap: 14Posts: 96
    Joined:  #25
    bulls9999 wrote:


    I see it so often, its why I don't play too many MGA's, maybe 1 in 3. Some years ago, I was in the Group D flight and our foursome were all 18 HC's. The last guy off the first tee has an iron on the par-5 and the rest of us start chuckling, "playing conservative?" and he says he doesn't carry any woods. Yep, no driver, no FW's, no hybrids....all irons. And he smoke all 3 of our driver drives with his 2-iron. He eagles 2 par 5's with just irons and finishes 18 holes at -1. Wow.



    About 3 months ago, played with my 26-yr old son as member guest. His HC disappeared off GHIN because he just cancelled his membership at his recent course and was taking his time to re-sign up at another course, so he said to put him down as 'scratch', and he shot 74 (2 over). He hadn't played our C.C. club course in 7-8 years where he played routinely in high school. We get paired with another 2-man team, and the 'member' on that team is using a 14-HC and was -2 through 15. My son played Div. II college golf and we were joking that "sure, he's a 14-HC". I even asked the guy "wow, you sure play well for a 14" to which he answered "believe it or not, this is only like the 10th time I played in 10 yrs". Now I'm ready to puke. He finishes at 18 at even par (managed to bogie the last 2 holes I guess after my comment). Where do these people come from?


    Miggaletoe wrote:


    A 12 shooting 75 would have a lot of people losing their s***...





    Yes my friend there are a few bandits like that here in Ireland too , i know a guy who plays off 11 now and he was scratch when he was younger. He easily still could play off 2 or 3 and regularly wins big competitions when he appears to feel like it
    Posted:
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members  2548WRX Points: 533Handicap: 3Posts: 2,548 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 3, 2018 #26
    Sounds like a former powerlifter hitting the gym after 10 years away. Starts reps at 150, but is back to benching 250+ after a month.
    Posted:

    TM 2016 M2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro TS 63X 43.5"

    Cobra F8 4-5w 18.5*, Fujikura Pro 60R 42.5"

    Callaway Rogue X 4i, PX SD 5.5 39.75"

    Cobra King OS 4-G, XP95 R300

    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400

    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

    B330-RX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.