I need....nothing....

Bigjim1022

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is by far the strangest feeling I’ve had with equipment in a long time. I think my bag is actually set. Every time I think of switching something my next thought is “but I got my current gamer so well”.

What do I do now? I could add a 60° but just dumped it because I rarely use it.

Ps-if interested this is my bag:

2016 M2, 8.5 w Rogue Silver 60

TEE CB1 w Comp NT 85

Adams Pro Mini 23° w/PXi 6.0

Ping S56 5-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Cally MD3 54° w/ Project X 6.0

Nike Method Mod Mod 60

The last couple months, heck pretty much the entire summer, my golf game has been driving me crazy. I mean playing so bad and so inconsistently that it was starting to make me question whether I ought to just hang the clubs up for a while or find some other way to get my exercise. I never play "highly skilled golf" but usually have a few rounds sprinkled in where I do a decent imitation of knowing what I'm doing.

Then out the blue, five of my last six rounds have been basically the best five rounds of the entire year. No idea what I'm doing differently with my swing or putting stroke. I just started playing better.

So I was just telling my wife last night I'm darned near superstitious about the equipment I'm using right now. I don't want to change any of my clubs, don't want to change balls, don't want to use a different golf bag or different color tees. I've got a couple worn out grips on my driver and 5w that have replacements waiting to be installed but I'm not even going to do that right now!

I do know a few things that might (superstition aside) contribute to coming out of my funk. I'm back to using the Titleist AVX that had been my full-time ball since it first hit the market, until I swapped around this spring and summer and tried the K-Sig, K-3, TP5, ProV1x and MTB Black each for several rounds. I also went back to the style and spec of putter that I used for most of my first 20 years playing golf. And the rest of the bag has been set for a couple months except for swapping out my 4-iron for a 4-hybrid that has been a miracle club for me in that slot.

So I'm all about sticking with what works. I may go back to playing like crap again next week or next month but I am going to try mightily to resist the urge to swap around this or that club, try new golf ball, whatever. We'll see how long my resolve lasts...

P.S. One other change to mention. A few weeks ago I got rid of my Game Golf and Arccos 360 and I quit typing every shot into my Strokes Gained app after every round. Not monitoring every single stroke of every round and poring over it looking for trends or insights has really freed me up to get into hit it, find it, hit it again mode. That may be the single biggest factor contributing to playing better.

It's a compulsive disorder. The high you get from buying something is the same reaction as addicts get after a hit/drink etc. Heck I've ordered putters when I forgot I had one in the mail. The first time I broke 70 I changed putters the next round and irons a week later.

I've met the enemy and he is us.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

It's a compulsive disorder. The high you get from buying something is the same reaction as addicts get after a hit/drink etc. Heck I've ordered putters when I forgot I had one in the mail. The first time I broke 70 I changed putters the next round and irons a week later.

I've met the enemy and he is us.

It really is an addictive behavior, or at least a very bad habit. My tendency to buy golf "stuff" has the classic pattern.

When I walk off the course after an awful round, my first urge is to think "I need some better clubs because I can't play with these".

If I walk off the course after a great round, I'm so excited I think "I deserve some better clubs now that I'm playing better".

And if I'm playing my usual game week after week, I get bored and think "It's about time to try some different clubs".

When the answer to every single question is "Buy Some Golf Clubs" that's a clear indicator of a problem.

Two weeks ago I shot my lifetime best score and promptly bought a new set of irons. There literally is nothing rational about the desire to have the newest technology available. I don’t try to fight it anymore . I just keep my prior set for awhile in case the new one doesn’t work. I take good care of my clubs and if I resell them I usually don’t lose much money.

It’s the dance we dance.

Did the same thing after shooting my best in years last weekend - could not resist a killer deal on some G700s - Buy, buy, buy!

The Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max 10.5° Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w / 4h / 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS Z-115

Oddysey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie 33"

The Ping Hoofer 14 (2015) Back-up bag:

Ping Eye 2+ 3-SW Aldila Low Torque

SeeMore PCB Nickel 33"

First season in along time that I don't want to change clubs as everything just seems to be working.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Oban Devotion 6

Callaway XR16 Pro 16 Diamana D+ 80

Callaway Steelhead 7w DGX100 Lite

Callaway Steelhead 9w DGX100 Lite

TaylorMade P790 5-PW DGS300 105

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50SS, 54SS, 60ES (50 bent to 49 & 60 to 59)

Odyssey V-line WHP

Only questionable slot is the 3w/4w as I'm looking for a Rogue 15 or 17 with a 80g + Fairway shaft but will probably just wait for one of the CPO sales later this fall/winter when they go 30%+ off.

Are those the new steelhead FW’s? If so how are they? I’ve almost bought one several times but have held off thus far.

Nope. Original Steelhead's that have been in the bag for over 15 years.

I tried the new Steelhead release but did not care for them. Other than the XR16 Pro, the Rogue is the only other Fairway that has my interest. Tried the Epic last year and again this year after the CPO deals but didn't care for them either.

I've been in that spot before too. It's a nice feeling to just focus on golf and not the wrenches in the bag. I had that and then I chased the dragon and was better for the short run then ended up going back to my previous setup. New irons meant more distance but lost accuracy which is already a problem for me. The only hiccup I see in my bag now is my hybrid. It's my old faithful and when I think of switching, I don't have a clue as to what I'd game. Maybe I look for an adams mini or something like that to keep with the size.

Now I'm playing fairly decent with my current setup but there are a few weak spots. Averaging 77 in my last 3 rounds (76, 78, 78) which for me, it's not bad especially when I look at my stats. 10/14 fairways 11/14 greens and 34 putts. Nothing stellar but nothing awful. Also, most of my GIRs haven't been close to the pin averaging around 25 feet. Tough to make putts from that far away more than once a round on the greens I play.

But now I've got a Ping G400 LST on its way so maybe I'll find a few more fairways! (sad reality is at my home course, I only hit driver 2 times on the front 9 and both are on par 5's. par 4's are either hybrid or 3.5 wood)

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

• 2 months later...

This is by far the strangest feeling I’ve had with equipment in a long time. I think my bag is actually set. Every time I think of switching something my next thought is “but I got my current gamer so well”.

TEE CB1 w Comp NT 85

Nike Method Mod Mod 60

The last couple months, heck pretty much the entire summer, my golf game has been driving me crazy. I mean playing so bad and so inconsistently that it was starting to make me question whether I ought to just hang the clubs up for a while or find some other way to get my exercise. I never play "highly skilled golf" but usually have a few rounds sprinkled in where I do a decent imitation of knowing what I'm doing.

Then out the blue, five of my last six rounds have been basically the best five rounds of the entire year. No idea what I'm doing differently with my swing or putting stroke. I just started playing better.

So I was just telling my wife last night I'm darned near superstitious about the equipment I'm using right now. I don't want to change any of my clubs, don't want to change balls, don't want to use a different golf bag or different color tees. I've got a couple worn out grips on my driver and 5w that have replacements waiting to be installed but I'm not even going to do that right now!

I do know a few things that might (superstition aside) contribute to coming out of my funk. I'm back to using the Titleist AVX that had been my full-time ball since it first hit the market, until I swapped around this spring and summer and tried the K-Sig, K-3, TP5, ProV1x and MTB Black each for several rounds. I also went back to the style and spec of putter that I used for most of my first 20 years playing golf. And the rest of the bag has been set for a couple months except for swapping out my 4-iron for a 4-hybrid that has been a miracle club for me in that slot.

So I'm all about sticking with what works. I may go back to playing like crap again next week or next month but I am going to try mightily to resist the urge to swap around this or that club, try new golf ball, whatever. We'll see how long my resolve lasts...

P.S. One other change to mention. A few weeks ago I got rid of my Game Golf and Arccos 360 and I quit typing every shot into my Strokes Gained app after every round. Not monitoring every single stroke of every round and poring over it looking for trends or insights has really freed me up to get into hit it, find it, hit it again mode. That may be the single biggest factor contributing to playing better.

Maybe it is just time of year. For some reason, I have always, for 50 years, played better golf in the Fall than in the Spring and Summer. I have no idea why. But I too just completed a few weeks of straight driving and good scoring, before the weather went horrible.

I generally have one or two really good games in the Spring, and then my game goes south.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I'm constantly looking for stuff to buy

But not clubs any more - I'll stick with what I have - it's working

That said, I swapped my Ping Pioneer cart bag for a Titleist Stadry carry and that was a bad move. I hate carrying (discovered after 9 holes) and the Stadry is too small. My new CP2 wrap grips (ok, kind of a club related purchase) make it hard to get them out the bag.

Fortunately, there is eBay, so just waiting on delivery of a Titleist tour bag I picked up from a pro shop for £44! That should have all the space I need. it had better fit on my trolley otherwise.....

Trolleys.... I want a remote controlled one lol but £700 for the FW7 with GPS..... hmmmm

I am in the need nothing category of player as well. Thats why I have a set of Mizuno 919F/Tour irons being built currently. Its a sickness and pleasure all in the same breath

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Time for a new bag, shoes, clothes, training aids, balls, etc....

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

A few years ago one of my usual partners shot a 68 on a Saturday on a tough track that we only play once/year.

For some reason he showed up on Sunday with 12 different clubs in the bag and shot 85. That started a downward spiral that saw him go through 8 sets of irons the rest of the year (several of which were sold before they actually arrived, just because after hitting the Buy It Now button he decided he didn't like the way the demos "waggled").

Traded his 905R in to Golf Galaxy for about $60 on Tuesday, bought it back for $130 on Friday :)!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

If you need nothing, but have this urge to spend, treat yourself to a tee time at a nice course :)

This is great advice...and I should do this more for sure as I sit looking at the tracking of my latest purchase, TM R11 Ti 3 wood to arrive...lol

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

And this is why people ho clubs, has nothing to do with golf, it is a solution to boredom, we are consumers to the bone.....especially in areas of main focus or passion......I think at times I liked trying clubs more than I actually liked the game....it was always the chase, and well that ended....so now I am gaming 3+ yr old clubs (happy) but find i still look for s*** to buy....I Say wait a week if you still want it get it...a week goes by and lose interest, lol

It's really got nothing to do with golf or game.....just the itch to buy s*** for whatever hobby your into....I will justify anything if I want it

I did same in motocross, surfing,etc

Because none of it made me better and there I was still buying after I knew this, lol

But yeah now I think about swing more than clubs...which is really what it should have been from start, lol

TEE CB1 w Comp NT 85

Nike Method Mod Mod 60

You know nothing, John Snow.

I've actually just invested in a course of lessons. Had the first two and seeing improvement already, just by fixing simple things like posture and how far I was stood from the ball.

I've been playing a tad over 2 years and I got my first hcap of 13 a few months ago. My game comes from what I've learned from watching youTube. My last few rounds have been 82s, 83s and one 78 so I know I've got some sort of game. I'm hoping these lessons can get me to single figures and one day, I'd love to hit Cat 1.

Looking at clubs is great of course but i think this is one area of spending i need to leave alone. I've told myself, if I can get to 5 hcap, I'll treat myself to a fitting at TourX and get the absolute best I can at that time. I'm nearly 51, so if i do make it, whatever i get will probably last me til I go to the Augusta in the sky lol