The PXG Effect. Dear OEMs where are the affordable golf clubs?

hd.softail

The Solheim Family have never had any equipment even begin to approach the price levels PXG has. You can buy four of Pings "most expensive new wedges they've ever made" for less than one PXG.

Let me back this up for you…

When the Ping Eye series was introduced they were a lot more expensive than the rest of the clubs on the market back then.

My dad had a set of Beryllium copper in graphite they were definitely up there.

Yup! I have a buddy who got a Big Bertha War bird Ruger titanium 9° driver as a retirement gift in 1995. It had an MRSP of $750 at the time. Ping Eye 2's in BeCu were $1200 for a full set from 2-SW in the late 80's.

There have always been premium brands and there have always been clubs for the masses. The lines may have been blurred a bit in recent years most notably with inroads made by companies like Adams and Nike. But, now that the mid level competition has been eliminated, pricing strategies have returned to previous models.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Solheim Family have never had any equipment even begin to approach the price levels PXG has. You can buy four of Pings "most expensive new wedges they've ever made" for less than one PXG.

Go back and look at the price of a set of Eye 2s in the mid 80s and then adjust for inflation. You'll be shocked.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Go back and look at the price of a set of Eye 2s in the mid 80s and then adjust for inflation. You'll be shocked.

At least the Eye2 were actually new and game changing technology unlike PXG ego hype.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Played with a guy with a bag full of PXG last week. I’m thinking with my bag of Cobra, Adams and Tour Edge clubs that were bought new when they were 1 or 2 year old models didn’t even come close to costing what his set of irons cost. I played just as well. You don’t need to go broke to get decent equipment you can play well with.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

When the Ping Eye series was introduced they were a lot more expensive than the rest of the clubs on the market back then.

Other than Epic and the TMB or limited release C16 no company has clubs as expensive as PXG however with the i500 and g700 a full set will run you over the $1100 mark which is what many brands are offering at least 1-2 iron lines at.

Check out the "Seven" brand of amazing irons!

Golf is fine. Its not going anywhere.

There are loads of companies that sell cheap clubs. There just isnt going to be anyone talking about them on a golf forum.

It just like bikes. Tons of cheap bikes at Walmart. But every bike forum Ive been to talks about bikes in the $5,000 and up range. A cheap bike is $2,000.

Is it? I'm in San Diego (southern California) and know of at least 3 course closures here in the last 6 months.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Buy used on here or eBay. I will never buy a brand new set of irons and pay mrsp. Gently used stuff with save hundreds on your bag. The only thing I buy new is golf bags and wedges lol.
☝ This right here. All day, every day.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Yeah, it sucks how expensive it can be. But if somebody has never played golf and wants a set, they can buy a complete set from somebody like Wilson for $300 or less, and upgrade as they get better. At least that’s what 2 guys I know did. Another guy I know bought a used set of Ping’s for $300 and an Aeroburner driver & 3 wood for $150. So it doesn’t have to be too expensive unless you want it to be.

There are hundreds of thousands of clubs on ebay. Just toggle the search fields to meet your needs and start searching.

PXG has not influenced clubs on the normal and lower end of the price range. Maybe on the uber top, but not elsewhere.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

If you are brand new to golf there’s nobody out there saying YOU HAVE TO go buy a new bag all from one OEM ALL fitted and ALL shiny. Golf can be cheap or as expensive as cheap as you want, it’s not for all audiences. Same applies to fishing/flying a kite / etc

G400 LST
TM SLDR TS
Apex UT 18'
Apex MB 18'
RTX 2.0 Raw
Ping Anser Milled

There’s more disposable income in enough people’s pockets to float $3k and up clubs.

So $1000 sets may seem a steal?

Isn’t the marketplace supposed to find price equilibrium...

Cost a lot to advertise on national TV.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

With the latest release of the Mizuno JPX 919 line-up, it hit me like a ton of bricks that we are in a new age of golf equipment, the expensive age. I know, I'm sure I'm late to the party...

I get what PXG has done, every market needs a premium brand but now that I look at the cost of a game improvement set from Mizuno, Titleist, Srixon, etc starting at $1,000 for 8 irons it's a bit concerning. Kudos to companies like Ping and Wilson for offering GI sets at $800 or less; still pricey in my opinion.

My point is the game of golf is in trouble and a big reason is cost. I wonder when these companies are going to wake-up and start offering a value set. How do we expect to bring people to the game when the cost of entry is $3,000 just to have a bag of clubs to get in the game.

As an avid golfer and someone who makes plenty of money to afford these clubs, it still pains me to consider it's $3k to rebuild a bag.

Or maybe I'm just becoming my dad, I remember when I could buy a new set of custom PING Eye2+ 3-PW for $450...

$450 in 1989 is $920 in 2018....not much different

But if you wanted to get into golf and bought gear from 2 or 3yrs ago you can get it for next to nothing.....you dont have to buy the last thing that came out...its not gonna alter ones game a bit

Fortunately for new players, or those of us who appreciate when other people eat our depriciation for us, there are used clubs. Unless you really believe that the best stuff from 2-3 years ago is somehow magically garbage now, you can build an amazing bag for less than $600.

The fact that many people feel the need to try to buy a new game every year or two provides plenty of opportunities for guys like me to tinker and play around at a fraction of the cost.

this is exactly the case

And tinkerers (i was for along time) are trying to buy a game as well. Not much different than the first guy.....just more experience but same reason......both think end result will be better than last one was

Other than Epic and the TMB or limited release C16 no company has clubs as expensive as PXG however with the i500 and g700 a full set will run you over the $1100 mark which is what many brands are offering at least 1-2 iron lines at.

Check out the "Seven" brand of amazing irons!

I would go with a set of the MCBs. Beautiful clubheads!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

You don’t have to buy new clubs. If you’re on a budget you can buy an awesome bag of bats 2nd hand if you’re prepared to put the effort in to search. Golf can be as cheap or as expensive as you like.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Golf is fine. It’s not going anywhere.

There are loads of companies that sell cheap clubs. There just isn’t going to be anyone talking about them on a golf forum.

It just like bikes. Tons of cheap bikes at Walmart. But every bike forum I’ve been to talks about bikes in the $5,000 and up range. A “cheap” bike is $2,000.

Is it? I'm in San Diego (southern California) and know of at least 3 course closures here in the last 6 months.

Imo that’s more from the golf boom of the 2000s where courses were popping up everywhere and now the “market” is readjusting itself. Rounds per year have been even or a slightly increasing with declines usually around the colder areas during winter months

Golf is fine. Its not going anywhere.

There are loads of companies that sell cheap clubs. There just isnt going to be anyone talking about them on a golf forum.

It just like bikes. Tons of cheap bikes at Walmart. But every bike forum Ive been to talks about bikes in the $5,000 and up range. A cheap bike is $2,000.

Imo thats more from the golf boom of the 2000s where courses were popping up everywhere and now the market is readjusting itself. Rounds per year have been even or a slightly increasing with declines usually around the colder areas during winter months

Only one of the course "popped up" in the 2000's though. Looks like it's more to do with price of water increases...which sounds ridiculous when you said it out loud because we're right next to the Pacific ocean.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-carmel-mountain-ranch-country-club-closing-20180619-story,amp.html

Anyway, enough derailing.

There has always been a market for high-end clubs, Always. From Homna selling sets for $75,000 to any set from Miura. There is a whole forum dedicated for people who want to overpay for average clubs (Japanese Domestic and Non-US Markets).

And don't absolve Ping and Callaway.Callaway Hawk Eye irons were $1375 in 2000. Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons sold for $1200 in 1982!

One may not like Bob Parsons, but he has infused life into the industry.

• M5 w/AD GP
    XR Pro w/AD BB
    Apex w/AD DI
    0311T 4 - PW w/PX LZ
    0311 50* 54* 58* w/PX LZ
    ER2

There are plenty of affordable new clubs on the market. The problem is that most people are snobs and think they're too good for the lesser known brands/models.

If you want the latest and greatest, expect to pay for the privilege.

Not only that, there's a pretty healthy used/preowned market out there with plenty of deals to be made.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

With the latest release of the Mizuno JPX 919 line-up, it hit me like a ton of bricks that we are in a new age of golf equipment, the expensive age. I know, I'm sure I'm late to the party...

I get what PXG has done, every market needs a premium brand but now that I look at the cost of a game improvement set from Mizuno, Titleist, Srixon, etc starting at $1,000 for 8 irons it's a bit concerning. Kudos to companies like Ping and Wilson for offering GI sets at $800 or less; still pricey in my opinion.

My point is the game of golf is in trouble and a big reason is cost. I wonder when these companies are going to wake-up and start offering a value set. How do we expect to bring people to the game when the cost of entry is $3,000 just to have a bag of clubs to get in the game.

As an avid golfer and someone who makes plenty of money to afford these clubs, it still pains me to consider it's $3k to rebuild a bag.

Or maybe I'm just becoming my dad, I remember when I could buy a new set of custom PING Eye2+ 3-PW for $450...

It’s hard for the major brands to pay their players millions and yet sell their clubs fo $500, plus all the research that goes on to improve the equipment as well. I agree with you that equipment is quite pricey, but I believe you get what you pay for. That’s just my .02. The federal minimum wage is double or more than what it was at that time also. One thing goes up so does the rest. A 20oz coke is $1.80 plus taxes and crv. I remember getting them for a $1 out of the vending machines. It’s just economics. With that being said I do believe a beginner should buy a good used set. If they pay 3-4K on a set and don’t like the game, they just wasted a ton of money on something that is just going to collect dust in the garage. PXG makes some great products in my opinion. I have the 0811x driver and it is amazing.

As a consumer, you should shop around, take advantage of oem sales, club programs, trade ins,

trade ups, etc.... paying full price

for everything is expensive. Maybe get a deal on some clubs to offset others at full price.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Though I don't really buy clubs very often at all, when I am buying, I focus on the used market. But that's me, and probably a lot of others here on WRX. But we're not normal. :fie:

The problem with this is that there are very few sellers/fitters out there that want to help those who aren't as familiar with equipment get into used gear - e.g. beginners. Most that are in the fitting / selling business want to sell new gear. So, while it's true that beginners who don't want to plop down a lot of cash for equipment "should" look at used gear for the best value, who is out there helping them to wade through it all? Hardly anybody. There's a small handful of companies like 2nd Swing and Global Golf, but nobody can honestly say they're very interested in the market of new golfers.

Used clubs should be perfect for those just starting, but the main audience for used gear is experienced golfers.

Though I don't really buy clubs very often at all, when I am buying, I focus on the used market. But that's me, and probably a lot of others here on WRX. But we're not normal. :fie:

The problem with this is that there are very few sellers/fitters out there that want to help those who aren't as familiar with equipment get into used gear - e.g. beginners. Most that are in the fitting / selling business want to sell new gear. So, while it's true that beginners who don't want to plop down a lot of cash for equipment "should" look at used gear for the best value, who is out there helping them to wade through it all? Hardly anybody. There's a small handful of companies like 2nd Swing and Global Golf, but nobody can honestly say they're very interested in the market of new golfers.

Used clubs should be perfect for those just starting, but the main audience for used gear is experienced golfers.

so pay for a fitting.....once you have that you'll know what your specs are....then buy whatever you want

Idk to me a beg being fitted is kinda moot, for obvious reasons.....unless he is tall, short, or has an extreme posture....buy some clubs and see if your even gonna stick with it

Idk to me a beg being fitted is kinda moot, for obvious reasons.....unless he is tall, short, or has an extreme posture....buy some clubs and see if your even gonna stick with it

I actually agree for the most part. I'm not talking about fitting as we generally mean it to be here on the forums, but instead more about basic characteristics - decent grips, standard-ish flex and length (not x100s at 2" over), mainstream-ish head design (not a small-headed a driver from 2-3 decades ago, or blades from the 80s or earlier). No weird stuff like chippers or 68 degree wedges. All of it needs to be in decent enough condition (e.g. nothing is bent) so that when they do go for lessons, they're not immediately put into the "you gotta get newer gear" category. Sure, much used equipment already falls into this category, but enough of it does not that a bit of helping hand would be beneficial.

Box sets - for all their faults - do all of this at generally pretty cheap prices.