Bryson DeChambeau WITB: 2018 Farmers Insurance

GolfWRX

Absolutely LOVE that he won another PGA TOUR event... especially one as prestigious as The Memorial doing his own thing. It's gotta be tough using the One Length irons when no one else is doing it. The PGA TOUR has always been a copy-cat league in the fact that when someone seems to be doing well a lot of the players follow suit. Most of the time its just a hot new low spin driver shaft or something that's really not a huge deal. BUT... being the only guy out there using this "One Length" iron set and sticking to it.... and WINNING.... is SO COOL.

I just love that he believed in himself and what he was doing AND got it done.

Congrats to Bryson on his second PGA TOUR win!!! Of course winning the John Deere is awesome but winning a tournament at Jack's place has got to special for the young man.

In 2018 he's played in 16 events and made 14 cuts... 88% is not too shabby. He's currently 4th in the FedEx Cup Standings and 4th in the PGA TOUR's Official Money Leaders standings with $4,194,398. For his career he has made right at $6.5M... not too bad for a 24 year old that nobody thought would make it using this crazy equipment.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kid needs to understand his weird equipment isn't gonna benefit him in the long run. I think he's got a ton of potential but until he conforms to what works instead of what in theory could work he will never reach it.

What?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

• 2 months later...

Thing that surprises me is that he's still sticking with LTD in the driver and 3w. I think even Lexi finally changed this year to the F8 line

Yes, he should stop doing what works for him, and instead do what some LPGA Tour hack does. Brilliant.....

F8 driver and 5 wood in play...

LTD is the 3 wood, which we all know is the most difficult club to replace in your bag sometimes.

Nice win for Bryson, love everything about his game. Wish I could get fit for some SL irons, but no fitters in my area carry Cobra stuff.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

This kid needs to understand his weird equipment isn't gonna benefit him in the long run. I think he's got a ton of potential but until he conforms to what works instead of what in theory could work he will never reach it.

Quite an unfortunate set of words to write.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Single length but what length? and are the wedges the same as the other irons? The fairway metals are at industry standard not some single length specials. And all those announcers claiming "no wrist c0ck" are missing the loading at the change of direction at the top. How about "delayed" wrist c0ck, anyone remember Payne Stewart?

For those without the brand name fetish, clubmakers are selling single length sets starting in the mid $200s.

Single length but what length? and are the wedges the same as the other irons? The fairway metals are at industry standard not some single length specials. And all those announcers claiming "no wrist c0ck" are missing the loading at the change of direction at the top. How about "delayed" wrist c0ck, anyone remember Payne Stewart?

For those without the brand name fetish, clubmakers are selling single length sets starting in the mid $200s.

All his irons and wedges are same length thru 4 iron @ 37.5". He has two utility irons that are same length but different length @ 43". Rest of bag is normal.

Quite an unfortunate set of words to write.

This definitely aged well. Oh well, not all of our sitting on the couch takes turn out to be true.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Probably one of funniest and biased posts ever.

You could have written 'as Bryson is one hell of a golfer, maybe his weird bag could benefit a lot of golfers who struggle with conventional sets."

I wonder when he made the move from Modus 130 X shafts to TT X7 shafts in his irons.. This is a pretty drastic change.. X7 is the lowest spinning lowest launching steel iron shaft that i know of. Interesting to say the least

It makes sense for the shorter irons and wedges because with the OL irons you really get some moon balls. I wonder if his longer irons are soft stepped because the opposite is true for them - my 4 iron OL is a low launcher.

I was curious if he's still one length with his wedges.

Whatever the case, he's absolutely on fire. Wish the Ryder Cup started this week.

I wonder when he made the move from Modus 130 X shafts to TT X7 shafts in his irons.. This is a pretty drastic change.. X7 is the lowest spinning lowest launching steel iron shaft that i know of. Interesting to say the least

It makes sense for the shorter irons and wedges because with the OL irons you really get some moon balls. I wonder if his longer irons are soft stepped because the opposite is true for them - my 4 iron OL is a low launcher.

Whatever the case, he's absolutely on fire. Wish the Ryder Cup started this week.

All his wedges and irons are same length besides his two utility irons.

All his wedges and irons are same length besides his two utility irons.

He has changed his wedges since that video. I think he's still using OL wedges - but every time I see him chip, they don't appear to be OL.

Well, I think Bryson will do just fine it appears. Long run...who knows, but that is true of anyone. Look at Furyk...I think he has had a nice career. Swings and equipment are just that...and so individualistic. Tiger kept changing his swing and it produced wins and injury. I think Bryson's swing is a healthy swing. Few moving parts and doesn't appear to strain the back, etc.

DRIVER - Callaway Epic Max SL, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green (50gm, 5.5 tipped 1" @44.5"); Tensei CK Orange 60 Regular tipped 1" @ 44".

3 WOOD - Taylormade M5 Titanium 15*, Tensei CK Orange 70 regular; Tour Edge C722 15* Ventus Blue 6s 
5 WOOD - Tour Edge C721 19* Ventus Red 6s
HYBRID - Callaway Super Hybrid 20*, Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
IRONS - Srixon ZX5 (ver 1) 5-AW, Mercury Tour Pro-Kevlar firm; Tour Edge C722 5-AW, KBS TGI 80 Stiff
WEDGES - Ping Glide 4.0 54W, Glide 60T, both Ping ZZ115
PUTTERS - Yes! Rachel Tour, Bobby Grace Ollie HSM, Bobby Grace Smart Fit (KBS CT tour shaft), Bettinardi BB-1, Toulon Long Island, all at 34.5"

Are the stickers on his woods the correct lofts? 12° & 15°? Is he basically playing 1w, 2w, & 3w all in the bag at the same time?

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I've been a single plane golfer since I first picked up a club 50 years ago. I've been playing single length Sterling irons for the last 3 years and I will never go back to "conventional" irons! Sterling solves the gapping problems in a different (and I feel a better) way than Cobra but the benefits are the same. One ball position, one swing and much more consistency. I'm 64 with a really bad back but my single length irons and single plane swing put less stress on my low back. I can't go at the ball as hard as I once could but I can still hit my 5 iron with it's 8 iron length shaft 180 yards. Call it "weird" but I say if it works do it!

Right. Because winning 3 times this year and leading the Fedex Cup race isn't working. Got it.

• 1 month later...

Thought I’d quote this.

SIK putters sure look like the grooving on an Evnroll. I know there are supposed to be different lofts on a SIK, but I can’t notice them on the grooved section in the middle of the face.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• 1 month later...

Wrong, wrong and wrong again.... The majority of conventional style based swing training, club fitting and all the bells and whistles that go with it will produce good golfers I agree, but it's the tinkerers and the unconventional with their relentless persiut in finding what works for THEM , either by building on their natural swing or finding equipment that doesn't strike the norm or even developing unusual money shots that only they can pull off that will rise above the grey masses.