Ever Meet Someone Who Has "It"?

Sean2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played with Stricker in a Jr. PGA event but didn't know what it looked like.

Played in the state am qualifier in June with the incoming junior that has won the last two state high school touney's. He shot 75 in the qualifier and finished fourth in the state am Thursday. Impressive. I don't think he thought he played well when I played with him but he might have it.

Hits the ball extremely high off the tee but probably averaged 280. Bet he could get 10 to 20 extra if he brought down his ball flight.

We all know golf is a difficult game, but for those few the game isn't THAT hard.

I play regularly with a young man of 22. This is his third hear of playing and he is down to a 3.4. He has never had a lesson. His ball speed is in the mid-180s, he can hit a true stinger (4-iron goes about 240 +/-).

His numbers are the same as the longest hitters on Tour. He doesn't look like he is swinging hard, his predominant shot shape is a gentle draw, and he has a decent short game.

He has that unquantifiable "it" factor. For example, a very short 265 hard par 4, very narrow opening to the green surrounded by hazards, and he hits a towering 3 hybrid landing 10 fee from the hole and makes the putt.

He works full-time, can't practice all that much, but whatever it is, he has got "it". And, "it" is a lot of fun watching him play this game. :-)

I hope you all get to enjoy the same experience.

Yes, he definitely has "it", being only 22 years of age. We never had a 3 hybrid back when we were 22 years of age, but a 3 iron to 220 yards pin is no push over with the weaker loft and balata golf balls.

I miss those days, and it only appear in my dream now.

Played with a 6’4 bruiser hockey player who fit the bill. The guy was a grown man at 14 and hitting his tm bubble shaft 290 with spinny ball. Had every facet of the game and was dominating junior golf in Ontario . Got into drinking and a big chested girl at 16, quickly drifted away from relevancy after that.

He’s a huge reason I got better quickly just to keep from getting embarrassed when he’d go for 65 every other day.

Not to toot my own horn but I used to be one of those players who had "it". And had plenty of opportunities to work harder and go further with golf. But I was lazy and wanted to be a kid and have friends and then girlfriends and golf was just a side thing for me.

Looking back at it, I'm disappointed in myself for not practicing more, playing more, pushing myself more and giving it my all. I spoke with one of my old swing coaches and he told me I had that natural skill but just no drive to do more. Really hurts to hear it but when I stop thinking about my life and golf, I look at where I'm at and all of the other awesome things I have and I really can't beat myself up too much. I still play a lot and I have a lot of "it" moments where I play like I used to and they bring back great feelings but ultimately, I'm frustrated with my younger self with being a dumb lazy kid and not giving it my all.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

It's easy to resent those guys who have "it." Golf is a hard game for 98% of us. When you run across someone who can tee it up any given day and shoot around par or better it is demoralizing somewhat. I have beat range rocks till my blisters bled and really have not gotten any better over the years. I finally just accepted that I would never consistently be in the 70's and had to start trying to have fun when I played instead. I was trying so hard to get a certain outcome that I forgot to actually have fun playing.

It's easy to resent those guys who have "it." Golf is a hard game for 98% of us. When you run across someone who can tee it up any given day and shoot around par or better it is demoralizing somewhat. I have beat range rocks till my blisters bled and really have not gotten any better over the years. I finally just accepted that I would never consistently be in the 70's and had to start trying to have fun when I played instead. I was trying so hard to get a certain outcome that I forgot to actually have fun playing.

I think part of it is that half of us do nothing athletic outside of golf. I watched 2 uncoordinated people on a beach throw a frisbee. They kept mis throwing it and dropping it over 100 times, ugh! I mean who cannot throw a frisbee?

I found myself critiquing their frisbee throwing :

1. Standing way too far apart. Stand closer together and your throws will be much more accurate.

2. Her frisbee technique was bad, all arms. Get that body into it!

3. Lackadaisical commitment. Treat it like a frisbee tournament!

Get out there in the world and get your heart racing and be a kid again! That will help our golf games.

I never knew him (he went to UHS, our sister school on the same campus) but Michael Thompson was a few years behind me in HS. I didn’t play golf back then as no one cool played golf (TW wasn’t quite the household name yet). He pretty much followed the blueprint for golf since his family had money they could afford the best instruction etc. it’s kind of nice seeing a local guy making it on tour.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

The very first tournament i played at my new club about 3 years ago, i get paired with 2 older guys, mid 60's absolute minimum.

Unbelievably nice guys, one of them is (putting it nicely) a bit of a scruff, clubs older than me, pushing his 30 year old electric golf trolley.

long story short this lovely old guy goes and shoots about par (our course is a par 73, with a CSS of 75) and kicks my a**.

Turns out he's a scratch HC, bare in mind this guy must be nearly 70, he literally hit a 3 yard draw on every shot on every hole, if he putted well could have easily been in the 60's, and our course is not short, white tee's are about 6800

God knows what he would have been in his 30's

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

When I was at the San Diego Golf Academy in the early 90’s (Golf academy of America now), there was a kid named Brian like that. I’ll leave out his last name.

He was a hard core surfer and skateboarder and smoked a tremendous amount of Pot. Picture Sean Spicoli from “Fast times at Ridgemont High”. Insane natural ability. He only went to the school because his parents had agreed to pay for school and an apartment as long as he made grades. He had no interest in becoming a Club Pro. He just wanted to surf and smoke dope and live for free off his parents.

Thing was....he was REALLY good. Stupidly good. 5’ 8” and 160 pounds and 300+ with the driver ( HUGE in the 90’s), and a spectacular short game. Zero practice or giving a damn and he went out in our weekly tournaments high as a kite and shot mid 60’s routinely. Could put up a 65 from the tips with a bong in one hand. Incredible.

No idea what happened to him. I graduated before him. It always seemed quite sad that he just didn’t give a damn with all that talent. Who knows what would have happened if he actually cared.

I graduated from SDGA in the late 90s, and there was rampant pot use among a large percentage of the students.

I am not judging by any means, but the drug use with some of the guys was crazy.

for the Canadians, Kris Wasylowish not sure spelling plus 7CP with supposedly 5rds in the 50's , I played with him 1 week after playing with Deleat, he was so much better but had zero between the ears,

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I have a buddy who definitely has "it," that being said he doesn't really take it super seriously. I asked him what his handicap was and he told me he didn't know, but my first time playing with him he was even and hit into a water hazard on a par 5. For his drop I watched him hit driver off the deck and onto the green, and two putted to stay at even. Golf has never been his main sport though.

• 4 weeks later...

A fellow I went to high school with had IT. Best athlete in the school at any sport. Looks, build, stand up comedian, etc. Everything came to easy, was told he was going to be in the NHL since he was 8 years old. Never did make it, though. A friend had seen him skating with the Oiler's during a practise on a line with Gretzky and Kuri, and didn't look out of place. He was sent to the minor's and won the rookie of the year for the league. My brother played NHL and so did a few other's in my town but none could hold a candle to this fellows ability. He could make anyone look silly with the puck, absolute magician. Still is. Another fellow who played with my brother said this guy was the best hockey player he had ever seen. Absolute huge waste of talent, beers, broads, and parties don't get anyone very far. Hell of a golfer as well.

A buddy's son who just turned 14. After playing for about 2 years, his handicap was down to a 2 and that was playing mostly from the tips. He even tried to qualify for the U.S. Amateur this summer. On the junior tour, he competed regularly with kids in the 15-18 age group. Before taking up golf, he was a star on his soccer team, and swim team.

Another friend's son was dominating the junior tournaments a few years ago in the greater Houston area. He received three division 1 college scholarship offers from Big 12 and SEC schools. But, he decided that going to college wasn't for him. That broke his dad's heart.

The closest I got was a young guy who was playing the local am tourneys. Just played with him once. Shot par. A 280 driver miss on a par 4 ended up as a second to the green. 5 years later he is still an accountant with a energy provider.

I did attend one Champions event- saw a lot of guys there who had it. My god, the difference is tremendous.

I played many times with two golfers when I was in high school that ended out winning Majors, and I did not recognize either one as having "it". One player I did play with when he was in college I would have sworn he had "it", and he never won a Major. (Andy Bean) Another player in our area a couple years older definitely had "it" and he did nothing. (Eddie Pearce)

I have a buddy who definitely has "it," that being said he doesn't really take it super seriously. I asked him what his handicap was and he told me he didn't know, but my first time playing with him he was even and hit into a water hazard on a par 5. For his drop I watched him hit driver off the deck and onto the green, and two putted to stay at even. Golf has never been his main sport though.

And your friend is Chevy Chase in caddyshack.

Played with two guys in my life who both had it, but not in the way described here.

One was a second shot genius who could take on any flag, mostly by rolling the ball over mounds or around bunkers. It was unbelieveable to watch how he could use the ground once he got within about 150 yards to the flag.

The other guy had been playing mini-golf for like 15 years from childhood up, and could make putts like no tour pro I've ever seen. His green reading was amazing and he probably made well over 100 feet of putts on every round I ever played with him.

Both were not "tour" material but I'm sure some tour players would have loved to have had their gifts.

"It" usually goes away when it's time to tee it up with something on the line. I know a handful of guys with "it" that went to Q-School and couldn't break par. I know a handful of guys with "it" that looked like "can't miss" future PGA Tour players, none of them made it past the first year of "partially exempt" status. I'm one of those guys that they said had "it", I still don't know the true definition. The guys I play with have "it", I don't! Having played with around 20+ Tour players in the 90's, I'll tell you this: "It" is only a guy that is A LOT better than you are, and they are all over the place, you just have to look!

We all know golf is a difficult game, but for those few the game isn't THAT hard.

I play regularly with a young man of 22. This is his third hear of playing and he is down to a 3.4. He has never had a lesson. His ball speed is in the mid-180s, he can hit a true stinger (4-iron goes about 240 +/-).

His numbers are the same as the longest hitters on Tour. He doesn't look like he is swinging hard, his predominant shot shape is a gentle draw, and he has a decent short game.

He has that unquantifiable "it" factor. For example, a very short 265 hard par 4, very narrow opening to the green surrounded by hazards, and he hits a towering 3 hybrid landing 10 fee from the hole and makes the putt.

He works full-time, can't practice all that much, but whatever it is, he has got "it". And, "it" is a lot of fun watching him play this game. :-)

I hope you all get to enjoy the same experience.

Get his name and follow his future. He might parlay that into a career! Or, he could be one of a thousand other kids who, when placed in a pool of their peers, struggle to tread water.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Yes, several through the years. One was an opponent sophomore year, shot even par and lost by four to eventual state champ and future OSU golfer. Another was a Jr. golf Inter club teammate 2 years behind me, future state champ and collegiate golfer. A couple of local guys who never took it seriously, another couple in regional scrambles, and a few ams when I lived in Fla. Most recently a Kent State golfer who will be trying the pro tour soon.

The minute you see it you know it. Great hands, hand eye coordination and touch with effortless power. The ball just flies different for them.

• 3 weeks later...

My late golf instructor, Marvin "Smokey" Devaney. He was an absolutely incredible man. Even into his late 70's he was averaging 109 mph SS with his driver and he only played in a 9 hole league every tuesday, and would maybe smack about 15 balls at the range while giving lessons. Gave lessons to kids for free at the local golf dome for years which is how I met him when I was about 12. Only payment he ever wanted was a cup of coffee, but he told me when I win my first PGA tour event he wanted a Rolex lol.

I have seen him do ridiculous stuff. he once bet a local head pro he could hit one of the wires that a target in the dome hung from. i believe the target is about 75 yds out, maybe 5 yds from back wall of the dome. it took him 3 swings with the driver to nail it, and the first two could've nicked it.

also watched him hole a putt from one end of the dome to the other on a concrete floor, first try. No idea how many feet, but it was insane.

I played with him quite often in that little 9 hole league. I dont think he ever shot more than 38. He talked the whole time he played too, even mid swing. I think the only reason he ever missed shots was because he just didnt care all that much. he was there for the company.

Smokey was a little eccentric, however you couldn't help but love the guy. I can't even imagine how good he was in his earlier years. He never tried for the tour. Said he just didnt have any interest. He would have been legendary had he pursued it. When he passed away this spring it really reignited my pursuit of playing on tour, which i had more or less given up 6 years ago. I want to get him his Rolex.

[b][u]WITB:[/u][/b]

[b]Taylormade M3[/b] 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70-TX tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade SLDR Mini-Driver[/b] 12* Matrix Black 8M3 tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade P790[/b] 2-5i DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Taylormade P730[/b] 6-PW DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Vokey SM8[/b] 54M & 60M

[b]Giannini G-1[/b]

[b]Vice Pro+[/b] [color=#ff0000]Neon Red [/color]

Yes, older gentleman (to me at the time) that I used to play with regularly on a beat up track in west Texas. Guy could get around a golf course like nobody I have seen and he was in his 60’s at the time. Show up in overalls and work boots and beat everybody without really trying it seemed. We were paired often in the local noon group money game and joined up for a few lowball tournaments and he taught me a ton. He was a family man that didn’t want the tour life but had the talent to compete with the best. He is mentioned in several old books and articles about the texas “beer and bbq” circuit of old where many legends got there start. I believe Lee Trevino said in his book that he was the only guy in Texas he wouldn’t try and hustle cause he couldn’t beat him. I’m sure any from the area know who I’m referring to but it was always a pleasure playing with him although he could get pretty ornery at times. Brings back fond memories though.

I played many times with two golfers when I was in high school that ended out winning Majors, and I did not recognize either one as having "it". One player I did play with when he was in college I would have sworn he had "it", and he never won a Major. (Andy Bean) Another player in our area a couple years older definitely had "it" and he did nothing. (Eddie Pearce)

Recall reading about Eddie Pearce as the guy that didn't make it 40 some years ago. Great ball striker supposedly able to hit driver of the deck of a fairway bunker was one legendary tale. One of many over the years that lacked the special "it" that includes putting and course management.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I took the definition of "it" to be someone who just has a natural talent for golf without having to work real hard at it, not necessarily + handicaps and the like.

I've been a somewhat "natural" athlete at virtually any game or sport I took up for most of my younger years (more "skilled" and mentally solid than "athletic"), but that has not been remotely true for me with golf. I sucked at it for a long, long, long time, and have had to work really, really hard to become halfway decent at it. And I really suck at the "skills" and mental side of golf. To this day, although I'm capable of looking good at times, I'm even more capable of looking really bad, like 30 handicap bad.

I've heard tale of guys that just picked up a club and were able to be good from the first swing, but I have never believed that. My experience has been the opposite, and is probably partly why I love golf so much. A contractor was in our house once and told my wife that he was just naturally good at golf (women usually have plenty of men trying to brag to them, so that is likely what this was as well). She told me this story, and I called BS on it, mainly because I don't believe that anyone can be just "naturally" good at golf. But this thread would seem to suggest that there are some people who are...

So that is my question to you guys...do you seriously know people who were just "good" at golf almost from the first time they picked up a club? And if so, damn I'm jealous.