Obee's Putting Improvement Thread

Obee

I know this isn't en vogue to say, but I really feel like putts per round and putts per GIR still have relevance. For those who don't like to track every stat down to the last detail, they can provide an "overall health" of how you are putting.

Most of the better players I know are not tracking the difference between their sub-8 foot putts made vs 10+ foot putts made. And, to me, the strokes gained stat can really only be used as a broad reference to other players, unless they too happen to be tracking their putts made/distances on the same course on the same day in the same weather with the same greens condition.

This is not an attack on any of you who collect and apply these stats. If the methodology helps you improve and focuses your practice habits, that's great! Counterpoint: Most of us know when we are putting bad or putting well. This feel is *typically* reflected in our PPR and PPGIR stats.

Me personally, I've been working on what Obee recommended to me: learning to roll the ball dead straight on a line, my speed 5' and in, and lagging it close from 30/40/50 feet. And I've never putted better. Made so many excellent putts of varying lengths over the past month... Confidence is sky high.

Thanks again Obee-Wan. ;)

"Confidence is sky high". Really the only "stat" that matters.

• Like 1

While tinkering with the equipment and tracking stats might be helpful, I am a big advocate of practice and the skill goals that Obee lays out.

I know my putting started to improve when I began religiously working on 3-4 ft putts (round the world drill), and straight putts (ladder drill from 4', 6', 10' ), and lag putts from various distances. I do these drills every time I go to the practice green and I always try to add an element of pressure to my practice.

For me, this type of practice not only teaches technique, but also serve as a good checkup for the stroke over time.

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

To add to your "4 footer speed" - I do the exact same but I add making them at three different speeds, slightly uphill and slightly downhill. I try to make one hit the back of the cup liner, I try get one to swish and not touch the liner at all until it hits the bottom, and then lastly I try to get the ball to almost stop on the edge and then trickle over the lip.

David Orr gave me this drill and I do it every time I warm up, three 4 footers, one at each speed. If you can get to the point where you can swish them and then get one to almost stop on the lip and topple in, you are more than good to go.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

To add to your "4 footer speed" - I do the exact same but I add making them at three different speeds, slightly uphill and slightly downhill. I try to make one hit the back of the cup liner, I try get one to swish and not touch the liner at all until it hits the bottom, and then lastly I try to get the ball to almost stop on the edge and then trickle over the lip.

David Orr gave me this drill and I do it every time I warm up, three 4 footers, one at each speed. If you can get to the point where you can swish them and then get one to almost stop on the lip and topple in, you are more than good to go.

Really like this!

So what would everyone say is the proper speed for a 4 foot putt? If you miss is it a foot beyond, 2 feet, somewhere in between? Maybe more or less? I've heard various distances from Pelz to the Aimpoint school and curious what people like, especially on the shorter putts.

If you are not sure, and have to ask the question, it is highly likely that you are putting your short putts too softly. (I used to be like this).

My goal is to find the speed that allows me to hit the back of the cup on a level or slightly uphill putt.

The thing is, you can't fake this in tournament play. You either get comfortable with this and it becomes the way that you putt, or you don't.

The key for me on these was learning how to get the ball to roll end over end, instead of putting side spin on the ball.

Rolling the ball with a pure(er)stroke, I could hit a dead straight part actually dead straight. Or reasonably so. That was the difference maker for me.

I hear ya on the proper speed, I'm a reforming 'die it in the hole' guy as well. What I struggled with is a nice comfortable stroke length for me just hits the ball to hard for really 3-5 feet. Then i discovered ifI intentionally hit it more off the toe of the putter I could have the stroke length I want and the ball not come off so hot. Night and Day difference for me.

1. I now use the line on (virtually) all putts.

What putts don't you use the line on?

Thanks for starting this thread, will be very interesting to follow.

Sometimes big-breaking left-to-right putts of "makeable" distance (maybe 6 to 12 feet?). I prefer to "feel" those sometimes....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Obee, are you tinkering with putter weight? going face balanced or some toe hang? Did you go more upright to have a more square to square stroke with less face rotation? are you tracking tourney rounds only or all rounds?

I wish you luck buddy, no harm in seeing what works for you

LH, I don't tinker with putter weight anymore. I know I like counter-balanced putters, period. I will never go back to a normally weighted one. I like 'em heavy, and with plenty of weight in the hands. :-)

Tracking all of my rounds, but also tracking whether or not the round was a "T" round or not. Today's stat line from the Pasadena City Senior was ... interesting. Entering it now....

First off, I would like to thank Obee for his contributions over the past month or so on several "putting" threads.

I too have changed to the same claw grip version that PM and Obee use (left fore finger down the left side of grip). Also, I installed a SS Pistol GT Tour counter weighted grip (50 gram) on by Bettinardi Studio Select 2 putter. These changes have made a significant improvement in my overall putting. While still 3 putting more often than I would like, I am holing many more short and medium length putts. Also, I am stroking my short putts (4 to 5 feet and in) with much better speed. I used to barely crawl the ball into the hole even on very short putts (18" and in). I feel a lot more confident over short putts even when I miss.

My last 3 rounds have included 17 birdies. 3 under 69 with 6 birds and 3 bogeys (1 3 putt on 1st hole). 1 under 70 with 6 birdies and 5 bogeys (4 under 31 on 1st 9 but 2 3 putts and a couple of missed short putts had me back to 1 over going to 17. Made 12' birdie on 17 and 6' birdie on 18 to get back to 1 under. Yesterday, opened with 3 straight birds 3', 4', and 15'. Some bad drives got me in trouble and along with 2 3 putts (1 from 6' on #9) wound up with 2 over 74 - 6 birdies and 7 bogeys.

One of my poor past habits was to make changes to set up and stroke pattern during a round - searching for something. I have stayed with the same routine, mental process and stroke pattern for the past 6 or 7 weeks since I made the changes.

Now if I can get my driver straightened out, I might start shooting some real low numbers. Iron play has been solid and get lots of looks inside 10'.

Bruce

Bruce,

If I'm not mistaken, you are/were a playing professional, correct? The fact that you are willing to open up and listen to a lifetime am like myself is really cool. Thank you for the kind words, my friend. I am so, so pleased you are putting better.

And, yes, the "stop tinkering all the damn time" thing really helps. "Commitment" and "Routine" are so key to good putting, and it's hard to have either of those when you are consistently changing putting stance, grip, etc. pretty much every round is a recipe for mediocre putting.

Not sure if it's especially useful, but tracking total feet of putts made can be interesting. A day in the 80-100+ feet range is typically pretty fun. The days when you make 18' of putts is rarely any fun.

I'm actually doing this as part of my stat tracking.

Yes, love this. I learned this as the "Faxon drill." When I have time to practice, this is one of my absolute favorite drills, as it allows you to see/feel the difference in break for different speeds.

Great stuff.

So what would everyone say is the proper speed for a 4 foot putt? If you miss is it a foot beyond, 2 feet, somewhere in between? Maybe more or less? I've heard various distances from Pelz to the Aimpoint school and curious what people like, especially on the shorter putts.

If you are not sure, and have to ask the question, it is highly likely that you are putting your short putts too softly. (I used to be like this).

My goal is to find the speed that allows me to hit the back of the cup on a level or slightly uphill putt.

The thing is, you can't fake this in tournament play. You either get comfortable with this and it becomes the way that you putt, or you don't.

The key for me on these was learning how to get the ball to roll end over end, instead of putting side spin on the ball.

Rolling the ball with a pure(er)stroke, I could hit a dead straight part actually dead straight. Or reasonably so. That was the difference maker for me.

I hear ya on the proper speed, I'm a reforming 'die it in the hole' guy as well. What I struggled with is a nice comfortable stroke length for me just hits the ball to hard for really 3-5 feet. Then i discovered ifI intentionally hit it more off the toe of the putter I could have the stroke length I want and the ball not come off so hot. Night and Day difference for me.

Yes, "the speed of the day" thing that I mentioned earlier can't be found unless you are able to vary the length of your stroke. I realized a couple years ago that my yips were a usually when I went from FAST greens to SLOW greens. I never had enough backswing on the slow greens, so there was always an impulse to "hit" the ball. I struggled with long putts (on slow(ish) greens) and uphill right-to-left putts for a long time until I figured that out....

Now I feel even worse about my putting. Never been great, now am horrible. Even when I was a plus capper, I rarely had less than 30 putts. I have gone months at a time averaging 38-40 putts. (I am a 5 /6 handicap these days). I hit lots of greens in reg, have a few three putts every round and about half my birdies are two putts. My putting is even worse under pressure, but since my handicap is so high, I am not in any real competitions anymore. My goal is to average around 32 putts a round which would move me down to a 1 or 2 handicap if nothing else improves. So far I have found it a battle. I can go from horrible to mediocre from time to time. but it does not stick. I have tried almost anything you can think of. Righty, Lefty, Cross Hand, Claw, Counterweight, Long, Arm Lock.........

I am looking online at bowling balls now.

• Like 2

Funny you mention that, I was just thinking back to watching one of those lessons with the pros type shows and it was either Crenshaw or Faxon I believe who was on the show. He recommended doing exactly this for shorter putts. I'll need to play around with it and see how I like it. I spent last night just hitting 4 foot putts in my basement and trying to work on shortening my stroke. It feels weird but I like accelerating through the ball so I like the end result. I'll need to compare that to hitting it more off the toe with a longer backswing that I'm more comfortable with.

Now I feel even worse about my putting. Never been great, now am horrible. Even when I was a plus capper, I rarely had less than 30 putts. I have gone months at a time averaging 38-40 putts. (I am a 5 /6 handicap these days). I hit lots of greens in reg, have a few three putts every round and about half my birdies are two putts. My putting is even worse under pressure, but since my handicap is so high, I am not in any real competitions anymore. My goal is to average around 32 putts a round which would move me down to a 1 or 2 handicap if nothing else improves. So far I have found it a battle. I can go from horrible to mediocre from time to time. but it does not stick. I have tried almost anything you can think of. Righty, Lefty, Cross Hand, Claw, Counterweight, Long, Arm Lock.........

I am looking online at bowling balls now.

29 putts per round is attainable. you can do this.

Updated stats after today's tournament round for the 2018 Pasadena City Senior. Have to outline this round because it was a weird one....

I live in Riverside, which is 60 miles east of Pasadena. Traffic is HORRIBLE in the morning, so I would hav had to get up at 3:45 a.m. if I wanted to get to the course with an hour or more for relaxing and warm-up for my 7:06 tee time.

So I elected to stay at a buddy's house in mid-city, about a 20-minute drive to Brookside at 5:30 in the morning, which is when I planned on leaving his house.

Well ... my alarm didn't go off because I plugged my phone into a non-working plug and my phone died. I woke up at 6:20. Crap!! grabbed my stuff, threw it in my duffel bag, and headed out immediately. Long story short, I arrived at course at 6:58 for my 7:06 tee time.

Not. Ideal. LOL

And it was wet. And I'm old. And I think I might need a hip replacement.

That was not a very nice way to start my round.

Made a great 10 foot bogey(!)-save on 1 - one of the easiest holes on the course.

Topped my second shot on number 2 and made bogey, and then settled down -- with the full shots....

For some reason, I decided that the greens were 4.5 on the stimp meter and I was jamming all of my putts by the hole.

However, here were my makes for the day:

4' par save

5' par save

12' par save

5' par save

3' par save

14' birdie

9' par save

10' par save

10' par save

Shot 73.

That could have been a DISASTROUS round if my putting had not been so good. Now, many of my par saves were because I jammed the ball by on my first putt, but I was making the comebackers. Over and Over and Over. LOL!

Guy in my group shot 68, so I have to play GREAT to win tomorrow, but we'll see. This is my first senior event full event ever (I played U.S. Senior Open qualifer earlier in the year), and I"m looking for a nice finish. This weekend is the L.A. City Senior, so I have back-to-back really solid senior events.

Hope my hip/back holds up. Was touch and go today....

First off, I would like to thank Obee for his contributions over the past month or so on several "putting" threads.

I too have changed to the same claw grip version that PM and Obee use (left fore finger down the left side of grip). Also, I installed a SS Pistol GT Tour counter weighted grip (50 gram) on by Bettinardi Studio Select 2 putter. These changes have made a significant improvement in my overall putting. While still 3 putting more often than I would like, I am holing many more short and medium length putts. Also, I am stroking my short putts (4 to 5 feet and in) with much better speed. I used to barely crawl the ball into the hole even on very short putts (18" and in). I feel a lot more confident over short putts even when I miss.

My last 3 rounds have included 17 birdies. 3 under 69 with 6 birds and 3 bogeys (1 3 putt on 1st hole). 1 under 70 with 6 birdies and 5 bogeys (4 under 31 on 1st 9 but 2 3 putts and a couple of missed short putts had me back to 1 over going to 17. Made 12' birdie on 17 and 6' birdie on 18 to get back to 1 under. Yesterday, opened with 3 straight birds 3', 4', and 15'. Some bad drives got me in trouble and along with 2 3 putts (1 from 6' on #9) wound up with 2 over 74 - 6 birdies and 7 bogeys.

One of my poor past habits was to make changes to set up and stroke pattern during a round - searching for something. I have stayed with the same routine, mental process and stroke pattern for the past 6 or 7 weeks since I made the changes.

Now if I can get my driver straightened out, I might start shooting some real low numbers. Iron play has been solid and get lots of looks inside 10'.

Bruce

Bruce,

If I'm not mistaken, you are/were a playing professional, correct? The fact that you are willing to open up and listen to a lifetime am like myself is really cool. Thank you for the kind words, my friend. I am so, so pleased you are putting better.

And, yes, the "stop tinkering all the damn time" thing really helps. "Commitment" and "Routine" are so key to good putting, and it's hard to have either of those when you are consistently changing putting stance, grip, etc. pretty much every round is a recipe for mediocre putting.

Obee - yes, I played professional golf, I was a Club Pro for 28 years with some modest success on the local, regional, and national level. Played in a total of 9 PGA Tour events, 1 US Open, and 3 PGA Championships during my Club Pro days. I was an exempt member of the Senior PGA (now Champions) Tour in 1993 and 1998. I "4 spotted" for numerous events during 94 thru 97 and played some Senior Mini Tour Golf.

"Hung Up" by competitive spikes after 98 and now just play for fun and enjoyment. Still can get it around pretty good most of the time, today (8 over) notwithstanding. I enjoy participation on this forum. Lots of good insights from time to time.

Good luck in your up coming rounds.

Bruce

• Like 2

1. I now use the line on (virtually) all putts.

What putts don't you use the line on?

Thanks for starting this thread, will be very interesting to follow.

Sometimes big-breaking left-to-right putts of "makeable" distance (maybe 6 to 12 feet?). I prefer to "feel" those sometimes....

I assume you are a right-handed player? It's interesting that you take that approach on what people traditionally consider a harder putt for a righty.

Yes, "the speed of the day" thing that I mentioned earlier can't be found unless you are able to vary the length of your stroke. I realized a couple years ago that my yips were a usually when I went from FAST greens to SLOW greens. I never had enough backswing on the slow greens, so there was always an impulse to "hit" the ball. I struggled with long putts (on slow(ish) greens) and uphill right-to-left putts for a long time until I figured that out....

And I have to much backswing when the greens get fast. Then I get scared start stabbing, hitting off the toe let’s me accelerate it. It’s kinda cool to just watch how far the ball rolls as you go from center of putter and then just move the strike further and further out to the toe. I should mention I use a very short putter and a claw grip on all of these.

Funny you mention that, I was just thinking back to watching one of those lessons with the pros type shows and it was either Crenshaw or Faxon I believe who was on the show. He recommended doing exactly this for shorter putts. I'll need to play around with it and see how I like it. I spent last night just hitting 4 foot putts in my basement and trying to work on shortening my stroke. It feels weird but I like accelerating through the ball so I like the end result. I'll need to compare that to hitting it more off the toe with a longer backswing that I'm more comfortable with.

Hitting off the toe is really effective for down hill putts as well. I’m experimenting with 5 different areas of the putter from center to way out on toe and just observing how far the ball rolls out with the same stroke size.

Putter change, Obee?

Same one: Odyssey Works Tank 1W that I cut down about an inch or so. Bent it super-upright myself using the good ol' "step on it and bend it while you're stepping on it" method. LOL

...and this is why I stopped buying used putters :)

Good stuff in here Obee. Well done.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

One of my worst putting rounds in recent memory: 32 putts with THREE 3-putts. Just brutal. Pasadena City Senior Championship. Final round. 77. Will finish 10th or something. Blech.

I was rolling the ball well all day, just read the greens for crap today. Speed and line were both off today. Still made 65 feet of putts, which ain't bad.

One of my worst putting rounds in recent memory: 32 putts with THREE 3-putts. Just brutal. Pasadena City Senior Championship. Final round. 77. Will finish 10th or something. Blech.

I was rolling the ball well all day, just read the greens for crap today. Speed and line were both off today. Still made 65 feet of putts, which ain't bad.

Yeah, but ya made 72' of putts on nine holes yesterday. :)

Blech, yes, but not bad shooting considering you clearly really didn't have it either day.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Nice 28-putt 1-under 71 in the first round of the LA City Senior. Good for third place going into tomorrow.

The best part? I had never seen the golf course.

We played the course at its full length (6700, 71.5, 122), which is strange for a senior event. Tomorrow will be the same at Harding, ~7,000 yards.

The screen on my Odyssey fell off, so I used an old center-shafted PLOP. The difference in weight is significant, but the claw allowed me to feel comfortable even with a putter that was so much lighter.

This thread has got me thinking if I even know what the right speed for a 4-footer is. Here's how I interpret that thought: knowing the feel of the day to successfully make 4 foot putts. It is more the speed of the putter. The firmness of the grip. Pop vs. glide stroke. The aggressiveness of the stance. The amount of grinding it takes that day to get putts to drop. These things are all related to how confident you are with the speed, but maybe even more with yourself. We've all probably heard the old recording of Crenshaw when he was asked what he was working on that day, and he said something to the effect of "not keeping my head still". That quote got discounted as it couldn't be true for the regular guy, but Crenshaw was simply looking for that feel wasn't he? Many people discount perfect impact when it comes to putting. They figure the putter is weighted so that it doesn't matter. The ball isn't hit hard enough to throw the club off line. I disagree, I think impact with putting is very important, and when learning the speed of a 4-footer, what you're really looking for is how to make perfect impact for that short of a shot that day...

I just got a new putter and I swear 6 footers and under are automatic! Maybe check your putter. Sometimes heavier is better, less guessing.

But listen to OP Obee he knows 100% what he is doing, I am at like 4% trending to 2%. ;)

24 putts today (including one 3-putt!) played great and when I missed a green it was only by a yard or two. Great day.

Hey Obee,

Do you count putts from the fringe or just the putts from on the green (hope that makes sense). I’ve been counting putts as any stroke with a putter but lately it’s gotten in my head that I’m a terrible putter because I’ll have 32-34 putts per round, when I take out fringed putts I’m closer to 30.

Only when on the green. Same way the PGA TOUR counts putts.

It all evens out in the end. For instance, today I had two one-putts from the fringe that are counted as a zero putts. But they were both very short, only 10 feet each. You just have to stick with one way and always use the same. Since the PGA Tour doesn't count putts from the fringe as putts, I don't either.

Today was a great day all around. a 68 with only 53 feet of putts made is nice. My 30 - 50 yard pitch shot is getting solid again. Focusing on early wrist-c0ck on the shot to give me better feel and more spin so that I can stop the ball more quickly to tucked pins.

My putt distances today:

3' for par (from 35')

1' for bogey (3-putt from 35 feet to a super-tough side-hill pin)

9' for birdie

0' for birdie (putted in from 10' feet from fringe)

0' for birdie (putted in from 10' from fringe, AGAIN!)

2' for par (2-putt from 39')

1' for par (2-putt from 12 feet)

2' for par (missed green and chipped close)

3' for par (Trouble off the tee and on second shot. Layed up to 30 yards and hit it to 3-feet to save par)

6' for par (Trouble off the tee and layed up to 40 yards and got up and down)

1' for par (Missed green just short and putted from fringe from 25')

2' for birdie (9i close from 137)

3' for par (2-putt from 22')

7' for birdie (LW from 50 yards)

4' for par (2-putt from 35')

2' for par (missed green just short. Putted from fringe from 30')

5' for par (missed green left by a bit. Chipped up to 5')

2' for par (2-putt from 21')

Very, very pleased with literally everything about my putting today. Really grinded my booty off today trying to keep pace with one of the best 25+ amateurs in the country, Dan Sullivan. Had a blast today and was mostly pain free, which is so key to playing good golf as you get older....