Your thoughts on driver shaft length

wildcatden

Curious as to what shaft lengths (or finished club lengths if you want to keep it simple) do you have your juniors hitting these days? Have you experimented with longer shafts than what might be typically spec'd at USKG for example? Positive/negative effects?

My input: 7YO boy at 51" tall is playing 35" finished club length on driver. We haven't tried longer shafts, but I am considering some testing this fall since we are likely going to replace the Flynn JR2 shaft with one of these:

1. Cobra Junior shaft (39")

2. Recoil ES 440 F1 or F2

3. Matrix Ozik Red Tie - Ladies Flex

4. Bassara E45 X5CT - Ladies Flex

Besides finding a shaft that works better for him than the Flynn (too whippy), I'm debating whether to cut these to 39" or 37" finished club length. 39" can work and have him choke down, but I am curious as to what others have experienced or done.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at 51" I think 39 is way too long. Is he only 51 or is he playing the 51"? The us kids standard for that height is 34". They have a rule of 3/4 the height. ie 51 * .667. My 8 year old daughter is standing at 55" and plays a 36, and has played that since she was 51" I'll probably jump up to a 37" or 38 here soon. On length I wouldn't go overly long even with choking down, better to have control but I do say swing the longest he can. I would think 36" for his size would be plenty long enough.

on shafts. Only experience with flynn and recoil. Can't say enough good about recoil. Really changed my daughters flight and control. We switched on her driver and fairway woods. Those shafts are money. Plan to add one to her hybrid soon, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Saw some 11 and 10 year old bombers this past weekend and both were playing ACCRA Fx 2.0 series shafts. As for length, the rule of thumb I've heard is that the completed club should reach their sternum. We've played with lots of kids gaming the Recoil shafts and I've never been impressed with their results... can't say it was the shaft's fault but the results are all I have to go on. My son plays the Diamana M+ LE in his driver, 3w and hybrids. Tensei CK Pro Blue in his irons.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My son is 9yo and 49", and currently playing an Accra shaft. Very happy with it. Club length is about 36.5" right now, and definitely above his sternum. He's been playing it since the beginning of summer when he was just under 48". He loves the shaft and pounds the ball, so I have no problems with him playing the length it is. It is undoubtedly long for him, but he hits it solid and consistently so we stick with it.

at 51" I think 39 is way too long. Is he only 51 or is he playing the 51"? The us kids standard for that height is 34". They have a rule of 3/4 the height. ie 51 * .667. My 8 year old daughter is standing at 55" and plays a 36, and has played that since she was 51" I'll probably jump up to a 37" or 38 here soon. On length I wouldn't go overly long even with choking down, better to have control but I do say swing the longest he can. I would think 36" for his size would be plenty long enough.

on shafts. Only experience with flynn and recoil. Can't say enough good about recoil. Really changed my daughters flight and control. We switched on her driver and fairway woods. Those shafts are money. Plan to add one to her hybrid soon, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

My son is just a hair over 51" tall with golf shoes on a few weeks ago. We just switched to TS51 irons a few weeks ago also. He chokes down on the irons a couple inches just as he did when we went from UL45's to UL48's. As a 6YO and into his early 7YO age, he had been playing a TS51 Driver at 34". When I got the Flynn Shaft for his Cobra driver, I built it an extra inch long "just because" (or because I don't always know what I am doing). One of the reasons I was thinking about using a 39" shaft is because the Cobra Junior shafts for ages 8-9 are that finished club length and he'll be 8 in December.

I think proper length shaft or at least within a couple inches of US Kids TS driver is the way to go. So many kids on our local tour play with shafts that are 42-44” at 57-60” in height. Driver comes up to their chin. I swear one kid plays a mens driver length. They may hit it far when thet flush it (and many practice enough to hit them consistently), but they are going to scratch their heads when they can’t just keep getting longer shafts and their distance gains become more and more minimal.

My son is just a hair over 51" tall with golf shoes on a few weeks ago. We just switched to TS51 irons a few weeks ago also. He chokes down on the irons a couple inches just as he did when we went from UL45's to UL48's. As a 6YO and into his early 7YO age, he had been playing a TS51 Driver at 34". When I got the Flynn Shaft for his Cobra driver, I built it an extra inch long "just because" (or because I don't always know what I am doing). One of the reasons I was thinking about using a 39" shaft is because the Cobra Junior shafts for ages 8-9 are that finished club length and he'll be 8 in December.

Yeah I hate when they do it by age. It should be done by size not age. That’s just bad logic on their part.

I like this chart made by Tom Wishon. It is very similar to us kids but really is better since it gives you more guidence based on weight. This can really help when dealing with OEM specs. Also take notes on the shafts weights recommended.

http://wishongolf.co...ing-Juniors.pdf

Given Wishon's input in these charts, USKG specs and the input from others here in this thread, it seems like I could go a bit longer. At 51" and weighing in at 64lbs, I could probably get away with 38" finished driver length (grip down 1" if we had to I guess). I'm certainly keeping my eye on making sure his swing stays fundamentally sound, but I know that if you can generate the same swing speed with the same accuracy, a longer club will produce greater distance than a shorter club.

Saw some 11 and 10 year old bombers this past weekend and both were playing ACCRA Fx 2.0 series shafts. As for length, the rule of thumb I've heard is that the completed club should reach their sternum. We've played with lots of kids gaming the Recoil shafts and I've never been impressed with their results... can't say it was the shaft's fault but the results are all I have to go on. My son plays the Diamana M+ LE in his driver, 3w and hybrids. Tensei CK Pro Blue in his irons.

Did some research on these shafts. ACCRA FX 2.0 140 M1 (L-Flex) is a nice looking shaft and weight at 46g (minus some when I would have to butt cutt 8 inches off it). $225 brand new a bit steep for me. Some some pulls on eBay at $35 for not-so-good shape and $99 for actually quite good looking shape. Many of the eBay items were demo clubs from Cool Clubs.

Diamana M+ LE great looking too, but doesn't come down to my kids needed L-Flex level.

So hard to commit to a shaft. Am I thinking crazy talk in my head when the phrase "find a driver club fitter for a 7YO (going on 8YO) junor" comes to mind?

Did some research on these shafts. ACCRA FX 2.0 140 M1 (L-Flex) is a nice looking shaft and weight at 46g (minus some when I would have to butt cutt 8 inches off it). $225 brand new a bit steep for me. Some some pulls on eBay at $35 for not-so-good shape and $99 for actually quite good looking shape. Many of the eBay items were demo clubs from Cool Clubs.

Diamana M+ LE great looking too, but doesn't come down to my kids needed L-Flex level.

So hard to commit to a shaft. Am I thinking crazy talk in my head when the phrase "find a driver club fitter for a 7YO (going on 8YO) junor" comes to mind?

one reason I went to recoil. Can find them from Callaway preowned for under $100, sometimes sub $50 on eBay. I think the most I've paid for one is $75.

If I was in the market for a light, high launch shaft I would start with either the Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue or the Fujikura Vista Pro (R3).

Not crazy but the truth is there isn’t one. No where have I found that any fitter is going to have a selection of shafts in that short length to be able to truly do a fitting. I hope someone proves me wrong but for now it seems like it’s the old trial and error. We went through 3 driver shafts this year before we settled on one that seems to work best.

If I was in the market for a light, high launch shaft I would start with either the Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue or the Fujikura Vista Pro (R3).

I have not been able to find a fitter who has various shaft cut down to the length - my amateur club making skills is what helped us.

I bought the shafts online, all used - cut and assembled them for his driver.. tried them out on a course, range, skytrak, etc. After we settled on a shaft did i go looking for less used or new shafts for his woods and hybrids.

FWIW we tried out several shaft for including the Grafalloy Pro Launch and Recoil,. - we settled on the Recoil.

It was a fun process and I think a professional fitting would have been cheaper.

one reason I went to recoil. Can find them from Callaway preowned for under $100, sometimes sub $50 on eBay. I think the most I've paid for one is $75.

I've asked this question on another forum. Are these the same shafts as the aftermarkets with the same name? Kinda hard to believe they will put a $300 shaft in a $400 driver...

I've asked this question on another forum. Are these the same shafts as the aftermarkets with the same name? Kinda hard to believe they will put a $300 shaft in a $400 driver...

Most likely they are "made for" shafts. Same shaft but tolerances are much looser than the aftermarket or tour shafts. They're mass produced for manufacturers like Callaway, TM, etc.