Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Also, I have more clubs breaking from my D'Lance Titleist build from February 2016. I've never had club issues in my entire life and have had these things falling apart like I bought them at Walmart.

Oh no, that's not good to hear. They're who I went to for my TPT Shaft fitting (that I won on here). I'm actually dropping off my driver head now so they can built it up. I mean, it shouldn't be that complicated. Gluing on a tip adapter, cutting to length, and installing a grip. I even trust Golf Galaxy with stuff like that. But still. :x

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on going Mizuno/Vokey or srixon/cleveland for new irons this off season. At this point I need to go in and hit both. I always tell myself I'm going with easier to hit and end up trying to see how many blades I can fit in to a combo set before I'm an idiot. Curious how the mizunos hit because I thought the 900 tours were not very forgiving at all and that's from playing a Titliest CB/MB combo.

If you've never hit the Mizuno wedges, give them a try. Love that blue finish option and they have the same feel as the irons. They don't have all the different grind options Vokey and Cleveland have though.

I played Cleveland all through college and then switched to Vokey and have played those for the last 10 years and haven't really thought twice about it. I tend to be pretty neutral with bounces and stuff. I like the raw finish but hate paying Vokey prices. I've never hit the Mizunos, probably should try them but the wedges are definitely a finicky spot in my bag. Tend to like to see the same thing.

Also, I have more clubs breaking from my D'Lance Titleist build from February 2016. I've never had club issues in my entire life and have had these things falling apart like I bought them at Walmart.

I have two Vokey's and just picked up a RTX and like it much better. Now as to the Walmart aspect.... I got my game from there =)

Oh no, that's not good to hear. They're who I went to for my TPT Shaft fitting (that I won on here). I'm actually dropping off my driver head now so they can built it up. I mean, it shouldn't be that complicated. Gluing on a tip adapter, cutting to length, and installing a grip. I even trust Golf Galaxy with stuff like that. But still. :x

I know lots of people who've had great builds and everything has gone wonderfully for them. I think I just happened to be the 1% or whatever where things have not gone to plan.

I'm really curious to hear how you like that driver shaft. I was really hoping to win that contest!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worth playing now or waiting until everything is finished? From what I understand the clubhouse and practice green isn't open yet. Is there a driving range at least that's open?

To me, it would be. But that's only because I'm constantly running late and never have warm-up time to begin with. I'm also too cheap and only hit range balls if they come included with the green fees.

Also, has anyone ever purchased a full club on eBay just for a shaft? Because I just did. Titleist 913D3 with a Tour AD shaft that I plan on pulling out and using in a 3 wood. They had it listed for $100, when the shaft alone goes for more than that. So...why not? Haha

How much would you let the head go for? My brother or brother-in-law would like something a little newer than what's in their bags now. I might be interested in taking it off your hands if it's not much $$. Otherwise, reshaft and sell it on here.

Does anyone know if public play at TPC Colorado is only as an accompanied guest? I could have sworn I heard that a few weeks ago...

My buddies just played there this past weekend, I'll find out what the deal was and update this post. All I got was a picture of a tee marker that said 773....um unless that is a par 6, no thanks.

Update: He said they got the member/guest rate of $120 and he thought that it was open all the time because it wasn't getting a ton of play.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Walked Thorncreek yesterday and probably won't be back for at least a year or two. The good thing is the really stupid stuff architecturally has been fixed. Greens are putting really true and very nice and have some more interesting undulations on the ones they redid. I also got around 18 holes in under 3 hours which is always a pleasant surprise on a public course.

If you remember from before the renovation that many fairways would have patches of dirt or mud, well, that's still the case with some holes having 10 foot diameter sections of dirt in the fairway. I don't know how you manage that with a brand new irrigation system, replanted fairways and the ability to let the new grass grow in with no play for last fall, spring and most of the summer. I don't want to blame the super because maybe they ran out of money after doing the renovation, but it kind of ruins the whole point of renovating if you're going to let the fairways go within the first month of play.

On some of the fairways you can still see the vertical tracks between where the seed was planted. Because of that and how they're letting it grow where the grass does exist, the fairways are inconsistent in how they roll. The bigger issue is the greens are extremely firm (as most new greens tend to be) and with the inconsistently long fairways, you can't really land short to bounce shots on. Plus most of these holes are not designed to allow shots played on the ground and ask for aerial approaches. I was only able to hold one green with anything longer than a 9 iron even when landing on the very front of the green. Landing short of the green with an iron always checked up. When you could run a shot up, the fairways were too inconsistent to judge the speed correctly. Most of the time I checked up short. The only one I got to stop within 10 feet of the hole was a 5 wood purposely played on the ground and landed 35 yards short of the green and even that came to within a foot of the back edge.

Ideally they should have waited till next year before opening the course, but as a muni they probably went as long as they could. I know many cities steal profits from the golf course to support their other public parks (Boulder being the biggest offender) so I'm wondering if they really did run out of money. I also found sunflower seeds on many of the greens, thus the same clientele is still going to Thorncreek. It's a shame as now that they've fixed the really dumb holes, it's not a bad layout, but it could be years before the course is playable.

Edited: And to clarify, there's definitely fairways in worse condition in the Denver area, but seeing so many patches of dirt in fairways after they had almost a whole year to grow in I had to mention it. Most of the landing areas aren't affected by it. The biggest issue is the inability to hold shots on the green along with not being able to run shots up. That makes the course unplayable. If you're landing on greens (even giving it 30-40 feet of run out room) and still end up having to chip from the rough on 90% of your shots, it doesn't make for a fun round.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worth playing now or waiting until everything is finished? From what I understand the clubhouse and practice green isn't open yet. Is there a driving range at least that's open?

I’ve played it a handful of times now with a member for a discounted rate, but if I was paying full price, I’d want to have a putting green/driving range...the range isn’t as big of a deal because Mariana Butte is on my way to TPC, so I just stop there. But their greens are WAY faster than most courses around here, so it’d be nice to get speed dialed in rather than crushing it by the cup on the first 3 holes.

Also, it’s been about a month since I last played it, but they still had the black tee box closed on #1 so it could fully grow in. So you’re either teeing off from the tour tees (soooo long) or the golds (30+ yards ahead of the blacks & 70+ ahead of the tour tees). There are a couple other places that aren’t fully grown in yet either.

Ill probably get out once or twice more this fall, but it’ll definitely be playing more true to design next year (truer greens, faster fairways, full practice area, more eye catching etc)

Walked Thorncreek yesterday and probably won't be back for at least a year or two. The good thing is the really stupid stuff architecturally has been fixed. Greens are putting really true and very nice and have some more interesting undulations on the ones they redid. I also got around 18 holes in under 3 hours which is always a pleasant surprise on a public course.

If you remember from before the renovation that many fairways would have patches of dirt or mud, well, that's still the case with some holes having 10 foot diameter sections of dirt in the fairway. I don't know how you manage that with a brand new irrigation system, replanted fairways and the ability to let the new grass grow in with no play for last fall, spring and most of the summer. I don't want to blame the super because maybe they ran out of money after doing the renovation, but it kind of ruins the whole point of renovating if you're going to let the fairways go within the first month of play.

On some of the fairways you can still see the vertical tracks between where the seed was planted. Because of that and how they're letting it grow where the grass does exist, the fairways are inconsistent in how they roll. The bigger issue is the greens are extremely firm (as most new greens tend to be) and with the inconsistently long fairways, you can't really land short to bounce shots on. Plus most of these holes are not designed to allow shots played on the ground and ask for aerial approaches. I was only able to hold one green with anything longer than a 9 iron even when landing on the very front of the green. Landing short of the green with an iron always checked up. When you could run a shot up, the fairways were too inconsistent to judge the speed correctly. Most of the time I checked up short. The only one I got to stop within 10 feet of the hole was a 5 wood purposely played on the ground and landed 35 yards short of the green and even that came to within a foot of the back edge.

Ideally they should have waited till next year before opening the course, but as a muni they probably went as long as they could. I know many cities steal profits from the golf course to support their other public parks (Boulder being the biggest offender) so I'm wondering if they really did run out of money. I also found sunflower seeds on many of the greens, thus the same clientele is still going to Thorncreek. It's a shame as now that they've fixed the really dumb holes, it's not a bad layout, but it could be years before the course is playable.

Edited: And to clarify, there's definitely fairways in worse condition in the Denver area, but seeing so many patches of dirt in fairways after they had almost a whole year to grow in I had to mention it. Most of the landing areas aren't affected by it. The biggest issue is the inability to hold shots on the green along with not being able to run shots up. That makes the course unplayable. If you're landing on greens (even giving it 30-40 feet of run out room) and still end up having to chip from the rough on 90% of your shots, it doesn't make for a fun round.

Well shite.... playing it tomorrow with a client in a City charity event. Client is already P”dd at the city for a review on a project that should of been 5-6 weeks that went 4 months. Should be a FUN time LOL

Well shite.... playing it tomorrow with a client in a City charity event. Client is already P”dd at the city for a review on a project that should of been 5-6 weeks that went 4 months. Should be a FUN time LOL

We got a lot of rain yesterday in Westminster (and I would assume Thornton) so maybe the greens will hold a little better. It will be cart path only though.

I jsure am hoping.... just knowing he thinks the city is a clown show right now... then show up and course is bad... yea that will make for a long round Hahahah

Visually it's really not bad and if you didn't know they were closed for a year renovating, it's pretty much what you would expect from a public course, but with really nice looking greens. I think I shot something like 46 on the front 9 due to rolling off all the greens, before I started getting it a little under control. What was really annoying is that pitches and chips didn't run out as much as you would expect given how other approach shots rolled out, so it took a lot of getting used to before I was able to get anything from off the green close to a pin.

To amend my previous post, I'm bummed that Murphy is aerating on Friday the 14th, so I can't play there like I'd planned. Anyone got suggestions (outside of Riverdale) for a decent round that's in shape right now and not more than about $40 walking?

I'm willing to drive a little. Original plan was to hoof it to play Wild Horse, but I'm not sure I feel like driving that far to play on Saturday and turn around. Walnut Creek is my first choice, but looks like they're booked through the morning (hmmm).

Anyone have a forum membership on here?

y32fmtX.png

Real curious what that thread is. :lol:

I believe masamitsu and Robot Doctor are members.

Edited to add: and deadsolid

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

y32fmtX.png

LOL. :D Why, yes I am.

Don't know if this is the right forum for this but assume it will be moved if not. I have a group of guys in the greater Denver area planning an outing at the new TPC Colorado on Thursday, Sept. 27th. If anyone from this site is interested please PM me for more details. Will be some sort of small money game and maybe some club trading going on. Still have a few spots available.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

To amend my previous post, I'm bummed that Murphy is aerating on Friday the 14th, so I can't play there like I'd planned. Anyone got suggestions (outside of Riverdale) for a decent round that's in shape right now and not more than about $40 walking?

I'm willing to drive a little. Original plan was to hoof it to play Wild Horse, but I'm not sure I feel like driving that far to play on Saturday and turn around. Walnut Creek is my first choice, but looks like they're booked through the morning (hmmm).

Wow. Day trip to Wild Horse. I've driven pretty far for golf day trips, but that's dedication to even consider that. I think Walnut has a tournament that day, plus they just aerated this Monday and Tuesday. Legacy Ridge aerates in the spring and won't be aerating this fall.

If you're looking for something different and willing to drive, I have no idea on current conditions, but why not Four Mile Ranch? I believe it's $40 with cart and they have a cheaper replay rate if you wanted to make a 36 hole day out of it.

Played Wildhorse yesterday, course is in fantastic shape, as always.

y32fmtX.png

When I tried to access it I got permission denied. :(

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Holy cow, I had no idea where Wild Horse was so I had to map it. You're def dedicated to make that drive to play. I'd do it but would stay overnight and make a weekend out of it. Understand if that's not an option.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Holy cow, I had no idea where Wild Horse was so I had to map it. You're def dedicated to make that drive to play. I'd do it but would stay overnight and make a weekend out of it. Understand if that's not an option.

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but I’ll send say it again anyway!. If you make the drive, instead of taking I76 all the way to I80, make a little detour at Fort Morgan. Head north on hwy 71 and stop at 4 Winds Golf Course in Kimball, Ne. It’s right on I80 and your round won’t take over three hours. It’s not Wildhorse but it’s pretty damn good for under $50. You’ll be glad you stopped.

I HATE SNOW will vouch for it.

I was able to still acces the member area and read KRS’s post. Took me a while to remeber, I played in a tournament with him in Wyoming earlier this year.

I could, and was planning to originally, but I'm not sure I feel like putting in the time now. I just want to play 18, go home, drink a few beers, play some video games, work a little, wake up, repeat. I'm always working when I'm on the road, and rarely am I at home without the family, so I'm taking the chance to do a whole heap of nothing.

Wow. Day trip to Wild Horse. I've driven pretty far for golf day trips, but that's dedication to even consider that. I think Walnut has a tournament that day, plus they just aerated this Monday and Tuesday. Legacy Ridge aerates in the spring and won't be aerating this fall.

If you're looking for something different and willing to drive, I have no idea on current conditions, but why not Four Mile Ranch? I believe it's $40 with cart and they have a cheaper replay rate if you wanted to make a 36 hole day out of it.

Four Mile Ranch looks nice. That's a drive I'd be willing to make on Saturday. Might just play GVR on Friday since I'm dropping the family off at the airport in the AM anyway.

Four Mile Ranch looks nice. That's a drive I'd be willing to make on Saturday. Might just play GVR on Friday since I'm dropping the family off at the airport in the AM anyway.

It's pretty neat. Typical crazy Engh course plus no bunkers if you suck out of the sand. Lots of tiers on the greens that you need to hit the right section on. Lots of blind shots. Bring snacks and a sandwich if you're planning 36. They usually have someone come and sell hot dogs/brats on the weekend, but if they don't come, there isn't a restaurant and they only have chips etc..

Wow, lots to catch up on. Sad to hear about Thorncreek, it used to be on our regular Northside rotation years ago. I can't even remember when I've played it last. In fact this year has to be the least variety of courses I've played in the last 10 years. I did get to play two mountain courses at least.

So glad that the Links doesn't punch the greens in the fall. Have our Ryder Cup the same weekend of the real Ryder Cup. I will not get any sleep that weekend and will probably play like crap, but it is by far the single best thing about our mens league.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]