2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Just found my source of back pain...

radiman

If you are the person in your avatar and you keep that swing and you keep telling yourself that your game is distance your problems are just beginning.

The kind of arthritis that you have is typically a wear-and-tear phenomenon, and the spine is a normal place to get it. Some have it worse, some not so much. So, there is nothing abnormal about having arthritis in the spine. What is abnormal is having it so bad at your young age, and this should be a real wake up call. Any orthopedist in his/her right mind would take one look at your avatar and cringe at what that spine is experiencing.

I am 74 years old. I play to a five handicap. Distance is not a problem. It has never been a problem. Anybody who is playing on a normal golf course can be a scratch player - from a pure distance standpoint - if he can hit it 230-250. Obsession with distance is not justified for most golf courses. Find a swing that is back-sparing and gives you sufficient distance to continue to be a good player, and start thinking about making the other aspects of your game more competitive. Golf is the most wonderful game ever invented, and there is great satisfaction in getting really good at all aspects. You give me a stroke and I’ll play you any day of the week, grin.

I hurt my back with a swing based on hard rotation. I had to either change or quit; I once lost a year(!) with back problems. I now use the Ballard method, and it is much better for my back. Other people have found that the Brian Sparks method is back-sparing. Ballard is based on weight shift without hard rotation. Sparks is based on allowing the hips to fully turn.

I like your idea of strengthening your core muscles. With arthritis you also want to promote flexibility and range of movement, so stretches would be excellent. I walk the golf course, and I think that helps a lot. I also get an earlier start on golf days than I used to, and take time to stretch and swing a golf club in my family room. This loosens things up. These are the key things that have kept me in the game. My back is high miles, for sure, and it far from perfect, but I have found ways to maintain, and I think that it is good for the duration as long as I stick to what I know works. You will have to experiment and find your way.

Prednisone is a great drug for short term problems. Continuous use of prednisone can have terrible adverse effects, and there are many. One example: it will thin the intestines, setting one up for a perforated bowel, sepsis, and possible death. So, be very careful with it and use it mostly as a last resort.

I use medical marijuana regularly, at bedtime, and it seems to help quite a lot with my ongoing aches and pains. It builds up in the fatty tissues over time, and I think that it helps me all day long. YMMV. I also use ibuprofen when I play golf. I consider MM to be safer than opioids and ibuprofen and I would use it on the golf course, but I absolutely hate the head effect during the day. I did use Tramadol on the golf course, which is a synthetic opioid, for a long time and I think that it is reasonably safe with limited use. We don’t want to have to play with heavy pain, for sure.

I hope that I have given you some useful thoughts. Good luck, my friend!!

Thanks for your input. That avatar pic is from a few years back. I don't have near that rotation anymore. I think my back issues have limited that a bit. I have been working on relieving some pressure during my swing and have had some decent success. I was firing my hips hard and early. In years past, I had enough flexibility to make room for my hands and still get good contact. Nowadays, I was finding myself getting stuck without the ability to create the necessary space. So, my swing thought has been to feel like my right heel is on the ground as long as possible. It feels like my hips aren't firing at all (they really are, but it is a stark contrast to what I was doing). Feeling like I am starting my swing from the top down. So far, it has helped my game and I find myself being not as sore as I have in the past.

As far as distance, that is a mental thing. I know some players that are much better than I that I can outdrive by 50 yards or more. So, I know it isn't a prerequisite to good scoring. But, nobody wants to lose a drastic amount of distance. If it is the natural progression of things, then so be it.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

There is a supplement called Protandim NSRF2 (haven't tried the nsrf1 yet). It has turmeric, black pepper and other good things. It is like taking a 8 hour ibuprofen but no side effects. Ibuprofen in people over 45 prob isn't recommended. There is evidence it causes bad issues in long term use in 45 and up.

The problem with taking tumeric supplements is that few have a high amount of bioavailable curcumin.And high doses of tumeric can act as a blood thinner and should be avoided if you are already on blood thinners.

CBD oil has shown promise in a number of studies.

In Cal,all you have to do is to order it online and it will be delivered.

I keep on getting ads for the "pelvic clock" for lower back pain.Has anyone had any experience with this?

Most of the turmeric supplements I have used have black pepper added, which make the bioavailability good - supposedly.

I take 3 grams daily, and don’t seem to have any bad effects. I take it for gut problems, and it does seem to work. I cannot vouch for pain relief on the golf course, but it may be giving me some help there, too.

CBD tinctures/oils are available on Amazon, completely legal. The question I would have is which products are quality and which ones are garbage. The Stanley brothers in Colorado became pretty famous for supplying high CBD weed called Charlotte’s Web to a little girl named Charlotte who has Dravot’s syndrome and was having hundreds of seizures a week. It is pretty much a miracle story, if you believe in miracle stories. The Stanley brothers make pure CBD products that you can buy over the web, and they might be a good source of a quality CBD oil, as they have a lot of experience with CBD. But I am speculating, as I don’t use CBD. Google words like stanley brothers charlottes web and you will see the site.

There is a supplement called Protandim NSRF2 (haven't tried the nsrf1 yet). It has turmeric, black pepper and other good things. It is like taking a 8 hour ibuprofen but no side effects. Ibuprofen in people over 45 prob isn't recommended. There is evidence it causes bad issues in long term use in 45 and up.

The problem with taking tumeric supplements is that few have a high amount of bioavailable curcumin.And high doses of tumeric can act as a blood thinner and should be avoided if you are already on blood thinners.

CBD oil has shown promise in a number of studies.

In Cal,all you have to do is to order it online and it will be delivered.

I keep on getting ads for the "pelvic clock" for lower back pain.Has anyone had any experience with this?

Pelvic clock looks like a gimmick. But wait till someone tries it out to be sure.

I don't have back pain, but have been in some degree of pain for the last year and a half. Won't say I haven't occasionally taken the prescribed pain meds to deal with it and been perfectly content to do so. Really screwed up golf as it robbed some distance at times and made me feel like a had a different swing every time I teed it up. But, it could have been worse. I could have been stuck lying in bed all day (as I was at first), but I adjusted my mindset to accept a certain degree of daily pain and accept that some amount of hurt was my new normal. Sucked it up and moved forward.

I didn't mean to imply that one shouldn't take pain meds. I'm not to the point where it's necessary. I think they have their place, just not for me yet.

Google Dr. John Bergman and his lecture on Reversing Arthritis Naturally. After years of injections (they help short term but are certainly no good for someone your age) and pain meds Doc Bergman's stuff has been a life changer for me.

Have it in my back, neck and hands and the improvement the last year or so has been amazing.

No more injections or medication (of any kind) for me. Anti inflammatories are among the worst things a guy can put in his body.

Chemicals and Big Pharm will kill us all for the money.

Do your OWN research and take charge of your life and your health.

There ARE alternative and they work WAY better than the one size fits all money driven mainstream healthcare system.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

I don't have back pain, but have been in some degree of pain for the last year and a half. Won't say I haven't occasionally taken the prescribed pain meds to deal with it and been perfectly content to do so. Really screwed up golf as it robbed some distance at times and made me feel like a had a different swing every time I teed it up. But, it could have been worse. I could have been stuck lying in bed all day (as I was at first), but I adjusted my mindset to accept a certain degree of daily pain and accept that some amount of hurt was my new normal. Sucked it up and moved forward.

I didn't mean to imply that one shouldn't take pain meds. I'm not to the point where it's necessary. I think they have their place, just not for me yet.

I never took it that way. You are right to be wary of them.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

First of all, that sucks, no matter how much good advice there is here.

I had (still have) a herniated disk, and though it's not the same ailment, it manifests in similar ways. I actually found that playing golf (and other kinds of activity, like walking, yoga, etc.) helps quite a bit. It's lack of movement that exacerbates this stuff (within reason). And "Play more golf" is a pretty good prescription to get. (Caveat: not a Dr.; don't take medical advice from internet-people; etc.)

I'm also not touching anything stiffer than an 'R' flex. Trying to be ok with swinging lighter, losing some distance, and making up for it with the mid-range game.

• Like 1

me too but she pays half the bills, have to live with the pain!! lol

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I've suffered with arthritis for almost 40 years. Was first diagnosed when I was 13, and had a very great growth spurt. Following the usual injuries from sports in high school, and throughout working, here is what I have found.

Sitting improperly is MY major cause of back pain. An Inversion table is a great item to have, as it allows for decompression of the back. No meds.

If/when I find myself hurting a lot (I guess I've become kind of accepting of the "normal" pain I am in every day) I follow this advice. 2 acetominophen & 2 ibuprofen. Had this suggested after I had a couple of root canals, and even tho the Dr gave me a script for oxy, I took only what he suggested, and only needed it one time. But...the advice has stayed with me for many years.

I take 1 single aspirin around dinner time (numerous reason, and I don't have any digestive issues) and that is about it.

But, if I am really hurting, it is the tylenol/advil regimen (of course, I take generics) The caution is to take no more than 4000 mg of acetominiophen inj a 24 hour period, as it id broken down in the liver. Exceeding that amount will cause a shutdown of the liver.

This is why you need to read the label and instructions of EVERY medication you take, whether it is a prescription or an OTC cold remedy, as most of those have acetominophen in them.

Hope that this helps you with what you are facing. Always, diet is very important. Exercise, as stated above.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions/comments.

I will second the Inversion Table. I have been using one since 89. Another good one is to lay on the floor.

I’ve had back issues for going on 3 years now. I finally decided to get Airrosti a try and they diagnosed me with a soft tissue injury. After one session I feel better than I have in years and have gained a tremendous range of motion back. 3 more sessions to go but so far the process works (deep tissue massage followed by area specific stretching and strengthing excercises).

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

There’s Shaq’s heat pads.

Don’t use the steroids for too long, they are miracle drugs but they also are nasty nasty nasty.

Yeah, you feel great, but it comes at a cost.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

There’s Shaq’s heat pads.

Don’t use the steroids for too long, they are miracle drugs but they also are nasty nasty nasty.

Yeah, you feel great, but it comes at a cost.

Exactly. Drugs don't have "side effects" they only have "effects" and there is nothing curative about masking pain and doing so WILL lead to more pain, joint, tissue and nerve damage.

Although most doctors will tell you otherwise (of course they would because it could cost them money) chiropractic has had a tremendous impact on my life. Doctors told me for 35 years that chiropractic would likely leave me paralyzed and that drugs and the doctors care was my only means to live a somewhat "comfortable" life.

Ignorantly, I believed and obeyed.

What a bunch of BS. When my back pain finally got to the point that I said screw it and consulted with a chiropractor my life took an immediate and significant turn for the better. I flushed every single one of the 13 prescription drugs I'd been taking daily (although I certainly don't recommend doing so to others) and went from being able to play golf once every couple of weeks and in considerable pain to where I've just finished playing 13 out of the last 15 days with only minor discomfort.

I now see the chiropractor once every six weeks for evaluation and occasional adjustments, take supplements such as turmeric, black seed oil, glucosamine chondroitin and flax seed oil. I also have an inversion table but I only use it once or twice a month now although I highly recommend them.

Laying on the floor is an outstanding recommendation as well and I do it for about five minutes everyday. Lay flat on your stomach for a couple minutes and then on your back while attempting to become totally relaxed. I also do a couple of exercises called Super Mans and cobra's (as well as a few others that I've kind of devised myself) and find that they not only alleviate pain but help build strength and promote flexibility.

Although most doctors say that it is impossible I sincerely believe that arthritis can be reversed and that joints and surrounding tissue can be regenerated and have proven it to myself on what it now four separate occasions - my lower back, my neck, my thumb and a completely ruptured achilles that healed perfectly WITHOUT surgery.

Please, please, please do some research and don't just listen to doctors who are trained to memorize and regurgitate. I don't mean to knock all doctors as they certainly do a lot of good but YOU are responsible for determining what works best for YOU and you MUST at least investigate alternatives in caring for yourself and your future rather than succumbing to a life sentence of drugs and pain and never ending trips to the doctor's office.

Not some one size fits all MD that thinks that everyone should be treated with the exact same methods.

Again, I recommend checking out Dr. John Bergman on youtube. Guy likely saved my life.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Thanks for all the recommendations. I am very reluctant to go back to a chiropractor at this point. A few bad experiences has left me pretty skeptical.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I've suffered with arthritis for almost 40 years. Was first diagnosed when I was 13, and had a very great growth spurt. Following the usual injuries from sports in high school, and throughout working, here is what I have found.

Sitting improperly is MY major cause of back pain. An Inversion table is a great item to have, as it allows for decompression of the back. No meds.

If/when I find myself hurting a lot (I guess I've become kind of accepting of the "normal" pain I am in every day) I follow this advice. 2 acetominophen & 2 ibuprofen. Had this suggested after I had a couple of root canals, and even tho the Dr gave me a script for oxy, I took only what he suggested, and only needed it one time. But...the advice has stayed with me for many years.

I take 1 single aspirin around dinner time (numerous reason, and I don't have any digestive issues) and that is about it.

But, if I am really hurting, it is the tylenol/advil regimen (of course, I take generics) The caution is to take no more than 4000 mg of acetominiophen inj a 24 hour period, as it id broken down in the liver. Exceeding that amount will cause a shutdown of the liver.

This is why you need to read the label and instructions of EVERY medication you take, whether it is a prescription or an OTC cold remedy, as most of those have acetominophen in them.

Hope that this helps you with what you are facing. Always, diet is very important. Exercise, as stated above.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions/comments.

I will second the Inversion Table. I have been using one since 89. Another good one is to lay on the floor.

Someone once told me they didn’t get inversion tables. To get any benefit you would have to be inverted half your day. As you are standing the other half Vertically.

I use medical marijuana regularly, at bedtime, and it seems to help quite a lot with my ongoing aches and pains. It builds up in the fatty tissues over time, and I think that it helps me all day long. YMMV. I also use ibuprofen when I play golf. I consider MM to be safer than opioids and ibuprofen and I would use it on the golf course, but I absolutely hate the head effect during the day. I did use Tramadol on the golf course, which is a synthetic opioid, for a long time and I think that it is reasonably safe with limited use. We don’t want to have to play with heavy pain, for sure.

Talk to your dispensary or budtender about a strain with a higher CBD/lower THC content. Will give you way less of the “head effect.”

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Thanks for all the recommendations. I am very reluctant to go back to a chiropractor at this point. A few bad experiences has left me pretty skeptical.

As with doctors, auto mechanics and airline pilots not all are good ones. If you decide to try it again make sure you find a guy that takes multiple STANDING X-rays and explains in detail what he sees as the problem and what the plan is for corrective measures.

Ensuring that the spine is properly aligned is the key - not just popping and cracking bones and vertebra.

Once I understood how the central nervous system controlled pretty much everything going on in my body it was much easier to see and formulate a way forward.

Nutrition (my biggest shortcoming) is also vital since most of us have sick blood caused by poor diet which directly leads to arthritis and joint degeneration as well as many other illnesses that we literally bring on ourselves.

I would strongly suggest that you cut and paste this link

and invest 40 minutes in listening to what the man has to say. If it's not for you then all you've done is waste 40 minutes. On the other hand, you might glean something from the video that can help you to get better.

Regardless, best of luck. Dealing with chronic pain is about as bad as it gets.

As with doctors, auto mechanics and airline pilots not all are good ones. If you decide to try it again make sure you find a guy that takes multiple STANDING X-rays and explains in detail what he sees as the problem and what the plan is for corrective measures.

Ensuring that the spine is properly aligned is the key - not just popping and cracking bones and vertebra.

Once I understood how the central nervous system controlled pretty much everything going on in my body it was much easier to see and formulate a way forward.

Nutrition (my biggest shortcoming) is also vital since most of us have sick blood caused by poor diet which directly leads to arthritis and joint degeneration as well as many other illnesses that we literally bring on ourselves.

I would strongly suggest that you cut and paste this link

and invest 40 minutes in listening to what the man has to say. If it's not for you then all you've done is waste 40 minutes. On the other hand, you might glean something from the video that can help you to get better.

Regardless, best of luck. Dealing with chronic pain is about as bad as it gets.

I always hope my airline pilot is at least Good Enough . You know what I mean?

I have had back problems off and on for 35 years, but mine have always been soft tissue related I believed. Mostly when I don't keep active or stretch then try to play golf, I overload some muscle/tendon in my lower back and I can be put out of commission from a week to three months at worst. But this year, I have had more chronic problems, mostly when after I play or work in the yard, I pretty much think I have tightness issues with my hamstrings, which then in turn stress my back when I try to bend over. I have found extensive stretching/strengthening exercisies of my hips/hamstrings on the floor has started to help.

I also take turmeric, as well as bromelain, glucosamine, as well as boswellia serrata extract (Indian Frankincense), all natural anti-inflammatories, mostly for other joint related pain/inflammation. I also supplement with Aleve as needed. I would look into all of these, as many studies show that they can work on certain types of inflammation/arthritis. I would especially check out boswellia serrata...... https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/supplements-herbs/guide/indian-frankincense.php

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron KBS TGI 90, ZX 5 MKii 5,6,7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Update:

Went to an appointment with the pain management clinic. Went over the MRI. So, the disk between L5 and S1 is deteriorating and is beginning to put pressure on the nerve. Explains the cause and location of my pain. Also, noted some moderate arthritis. Plan of attack is a cortisone injection to verify that is the issue. If that improves my condition, I am not sure what will happen going forward as cortisone is a temporary fix. Also going to begin PT. Not a bad time to begin the treatments. Once the off season hits, I can really focus on improving and strengthening my core without impacting my golf. Hopefully, by the time next season rolls around I will be well on my way to managing this thing.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

As with doctors, auto mechanics and airline pilots not all are good ones. If you decide to try it again make sure you find a guy that takes multiple STANDING X-rays and explains in detail what he sees as the problem and what the plan is for corrective measures. Ensuring that the spine is properly aligned is the key - not just popping and cracking bones and vertebra. Once I understood how the central nervous system controlled pretty much everything going on in my body it was much easier to see and formulate a way forward. Nutrition (my biggest shortcoming) is also vital since most of us have sick blood caused by poor diet which directly leads to arthritis and joint degeneration as well as many other illnesses that we literally bring on ourselves. I would strongly suggest that you cut and paste this link
and invest 40 minutes in listening to what the man has to say. If it's not for you then all you've done is waste 40 minutes. On the other hand, you might glean something from the video that can help you to get better. Regardless, best of luck. Dealing with chronic pain is about as bad as it gets.

???? - https://sciencebased...-or-tomfoolery/

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

I'll echo the inversion table sentiment. Had a L5-S1 microdisectomy in February... Had some relief, but the shooting nerve pain down the leg came back due to a reherniation of the disk. Picked up an inversion table from Costco and try to hit it ~15 minutes a day. Leg pain is mostly gone, and now I'm just working through a sore back. Completely kicked the daily 1200mg of ibprofuen.

34 years old. 6'3" 240 lbs for reference.

I'll echo the inversion table sentiment. Had a L5-S1 microdisectomy in February... Had some relief, but the shooting nerve pain down the leg came back due to a reherniation of the disk. Picked up an inversion table from Costco and try to hit it ~15 minutes a day. Leg pain is mostly gone, and now I'm just working through a sore back. Completely kicked the daily 1200mg of ibprofuen.

34 years old. 6'3" 240 lbs for reference.

Thanks for the insight. I'm not to the point of surgery. So, with yours and others advice in this thread, I'm looking at picking one up. Hopefully, it can help to keep me away from needing a surgery.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Update:

Went to an appointment with the pain management clinic. Went over the MRI. So, the disk between L5 and S1 is deteriorating and is beginning to put pressure on the nerve. Explains the cause and location of my pain. Also, noted some moderate arthritis. Plan of attack is a cortisone injection to verify that is the issue. If that improves my condition, I am not sure what will happen going forward as cortisone is a temporary fix. Also going to begin PT. Not a bad time to begin the treatments. Once the off season hits, I can really focus on improving and strengthening my core without impacting my golf. Hopefully, by the time next season rolls around I will be well on my way to managing this thing.

L5/L4 disk deterioration is what I had a few years ago -- pressure on nerve, occasional loss of feeling in leg, etc. PT helped a LOT, as did core strengthening. Good luck.

My back just started hurting, went to the range 2 times and played a round of golf in 24hrs. Had some nerve pain running around the site of the pain.

Stopped all activities that involve the lumbar area. Even golf. Until it is nice and healed.

Advil, KT tape the area, turmeric supplement. I might ice and heating pad it some too.

In the future I’m going to figure out a nice and easy on the back swing. Maybe 3/4. Just loft up when I get my distances.

My father developed arthritis in his hips and knees a long time ago. A friend of his told him to eat gin soaked golden raisins everyday. He tried it and swears it helped. I have no idea how. Maybe just a placebo effect. Who knows, but I'll try anything to avoid surgery and prescription meds.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/04/11/gin-soaked-raisins-alleviate-pain.html

Interesting read about it.

Beer has been shown scientifically to as effective a painkiller as Tylenol. I’d imagine gin-soaked raisins are similar.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

Update:

radiman, that is a bit of a different diagnosis from what I originally commented on, but I think that the management of the problem is the same.

Backs can be strange. There are people with perfect back scans who are in terrible pain, and visa versa. What I am saying is that there are plenty of people with terrible back pictures, from a disc standpoint, who do fine, and conservative treatment may still be the answer for you. So, I would not panic just because there are anomalies in your back picture.

Many years ago I read a lot about back pain (and here I am talking about pain, and not drop foot, numbness, loss of bowel or bladder control, which are far more serious symptoms), and what to do. Yoga was #1, providing more relief than pills, surgery, chiropractic, acupuncture, massage and other things that I can’t think of at the moment. My interpretation of this was that strengthening the core and maintaining flexibility are key to a healthy back, and you are already on to core and flexibility - good! This has been a key, for me, over the years. It is a thing that takes time to see results, but boy does it ever help.

The other thing is swing mechanics. I thought of you as I was watching DeChambeau. There is something in his swing that is of benefit to all of us with back problems. Note his finish. He is standing straight up, balanced and facing the target, weight on his front leg. Do you finish this way? Or, do you finish in a reverse-c? We hit into a reverse-c when we hold our head back, trying to stay behind the ball. And hitting into a reverse-c takes a toll on the back, over time. You can hit the ball a ton - and accurately - by letting the weight flow to the back leg on the backswing, then letting it all go forward to a level finish (hips, waist, shoulders all level and facing the target), with all of the weight on the front leg, with no attempt to hold the head back. Stenson is another example. I will predict that players like Stenson and deChambeau will play for many, many years without back issues because their swings are back-sparing.

Edit: Oh, and why are your waiting until the off-season to start core work? Get down on the floor and get going, just like the rest of us, grin...

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years. I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core. That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while. But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness. Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit. I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up. That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times :)

I went into my dr to discuss it with him. He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on. Just got the call. I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae. What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess. I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better. At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse. While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness. I always hoped things would improve. Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now. My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days. On the bad days, I just don't play. I have a referral to a pain clinic. I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route. I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion. My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.

Anyone else have any experience in this realm? Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be. I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

Look man,

We only get one body, its the only thing in life that will have to sustain us for our entire existence on earth. When this vessel of ours starts to break down, we cant trade it in for a new one. Thats why we have to take good care of it. Feed it good food, stretch it, rest it, exercise it, keep it in good working order. Otherwise, youll be in a miserable existance as you get older. Golf is a game that can be played many many ways. The way that you are playing it now is wearing down your body. I guarantee that its not worth it. The good news, is that there are ways to play this fun little game without hurting out bodies. There are swing techniques that will allow you to have fun, hit it far and shoot low scores. I suggest you try to learn as much about these techniques as possible. Work out a swing on the range that applies good speed, good strike, good path and good face angles through impact but does not hurt your lower back. (Those are the only things the ball cares about btw)

Two tips on shearing the lower back:

1) When your right shoulder dips and gets close to your right hip, this causes shearing of the lower vertebrae. People (even pros) dip their right shoulder in order to get the path inside on the downswing. You must keep those shoulders turning flatter. There are other ways to get the path inside. Swing down with your back to the target is one.

2) Chase the ball out with your head like Dustin Johnson. None of that reverse C crap from the 70's and 80's.

Take it easy on your body. You've got plenty of days ahead, dont ruin them.