Putting in 2019 - Flagstick in or out?

PingEye2

BH; You are arguing different sides of the same coin amigo.

As far as "putting training wheels on putting" goes, a few pages back the argument was that it doesnt help because Pros dont do it? I'm assuming this is conceding it might help people make more putts?

I get that its a big change and it goes against how things have been for 100+ years.

I think this is the real crux with golfers, especially solid players and veterans. Change is scary. Guys on the fence should just drop 10 balls on a green and roll some putts at a hole with the flag in. (A real flag on their home course, not a stubby putting green flag) Or even just look at a 6 foot breaker with a vertical line like the flag to help read the putt easier. I did this last night for practice just to have some fun and even the lipped putts kind of use the flag as a little rebound mechanism and kiss them in the hole more often than not. Sure if you ram a putt 4 feet past the hole the lip wasnt going to help and the flag probably won't keep that ball in the hole. You hit a crappy putt.

I really don't care about all the noise and hand wringing as long as its a rule I can use to help lower my scores. The stats show it will :::usually::: help. My personal experience says its a much better choice. Professionals can do whatever they want, they don't sign my scorecard or compete against me in the club championship lol.

Nope. I’m showing that some are arguing both sides of that coin. I still belive it hurts more than helps for me so I’ll have it out. But my reasoning is mental. I mentally am trained to even remove the pins on a practice green. Therefore brain doesn’t like to see that. On the flip some who struggle with speed control will certainly find this a legal cheat. They claim pace of play and yet we know full well it’s to backstop putts. I was simply pointing this double talk out. Change for a purpose that makes sense is good.change for the sake of change is not and change for a veiled reason is worse.

Sorry man. I’m only 38 although you may have guessed 88. Lol. But that last paragraph is a very big symptom of what’s wrong in general in our living space. “ make it easier “. I’ll keep my rant to myself for now and ask why ? Why does it have to be easier. Can nothing be left as pure as you found it anymore ? Making this game easier is a very slippery slope. In my opinion of course and with all due respect. ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we should get rid of marking balls too because not being stymied makes the game easier. I'm sure that was a lot of fun.

Now you and I both know that tired paper tiger should be out to pasture. We ca what if in that vein to the point that badgers are having their testicles removed to make balls. But that’s still going to be besides the point.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Have you tried putting with the flag in?

It seems like a stubborn old school way of thinking?

Like I said in here a few pages ago most of what I hear from people resisting the change is stuff like "I've done it this way forever and I don't think it helps"

Well science and testing proves you are wrong. Give it a shot and it might drop a couple strokes who knows?

Like I said in here a few pages ago most of what I hear from people resisting the change is stuff like "I've done it this way forever and I don't think it helps"

Well science and testing proves you are wrong. Give it a shot and it might drop a couple strokes who knows?

Haven’t and won’t. I also don’t roll the ball , I count stroke and distance. And I hit from a divot if I land in one.

The governing bodies have taken the opportunity to make the flag in ok. I’ll get used to it. But I wonder which “ easier “ is next. ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Look. I mean no harm to anyone I’ve argued with here. I do love a debate. And in time I’ll stop caring like the rest. But I do hate change for the most part. But more so change that levels the field. Parity seems to be the theme of society now. Work or skill should equal results. Not dumbed down rules or bars to make everyone “better “.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Haven't and won't. I also don't roll the ball , I count stroke and distance. And I hit from a divot if I land in one.

The governing bodies have taken the opportunity to make the flag in ok. I'll get used to it. But I wonder which " easier " is next. ?

Golf has been getting "soft" for decades. Read Richard Tufts' article from 1960 discussing the changes to the rules in his time:

http://gsrpdf.lib.msu.edu/ticpdf.py?file=/1960s/1960/601112.pdf

Haven't and won't. I also don't roll the ball , I count stroke and distance. And I hit from a divot if I land in one.

The governing bodies have taken the opportunity to make the flag in ok. I'll get used to it. But I wonder which " easier " is next. ?

Golf has been getting "soft" for decades. Read Richard Tufts' article from 1960 discussing the changes to the rules in his time:

http://gsrpdf.lib.msu.edu/ticpdf.py?file=/1960s/1960/601112.pdf

Don’t disagree at all. It has. And I was born an old soul. Bad combo.

But can’t a line be drawn ? Supposedly it has been With equipment. Now they’ve started on the rules front. Of course my argument includes the idea that this is only the top of the iceberg. I’m not saying putting with the pin in is the devil on its own. But the frog is in the pot and the temp is going up a degree every day or two.

An example that popped to mind is. What if a runner is training for the 100m finals and his eyes are on the world record. He wants to dominate the game he loves as he has grown up training for it. Then 6 months before whatever meet the governing bodies decide to allow wind aided times . The day of the finals he has a 4 meter per sec wind at his back. And he shatters the record by nearly a half second. How does he feel ?

If is me. It’s not good. I see the same thing happening if they continue to defang the rules.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Have you tried putting with the flag in? It seems like a stubborn old school way of thinking? Like I said in here a few pages ago most of what I hear from people resisting the change is stuff like "I've done it this way forever and I don't think it helps" Well science and testing proves you are wrong. Give it a shot and it might drop a couple strokes who knows?
Haven’t and won’t. I also don’t roll the ball , I count stroke and distance. And I hit from a divot if I land in one. The governing bodies have taken the opportunity to make the flag in ok. I’ll get used to it. But I wonder which “ easier “ is next. ?

Just dumbing down, like big putter grips, fat putter grips, long putters (usually still anchored).

The other dumb one is this play 4 from the fairway rather than 3 off the Tee for lost ball.

Look. I mean no harm to anyone I've argued with here. I do love a debate. And in time I'll stop caring like the rest. But I do hate change for the most part. But more so change that levels the field. Parity seems to be the theme of society now. Work or skill should equal results. Not dumbed down rules or bars to make everyone "better ".

Don't worry about it from my end amigo you have done nothing wrong.

sorry if this has already been addressed but won't the ideal strategy be to always have someone tend it and then decide mid-putt whether leaving it in or pulling it will benefit the putt? is it legal to do this? does the tender have to make the decision on his own, or can the putter make the call out mid-putt?

It has never been legal, and will not be legal under the new rules.

sorry if this has already been addressed but won't the ideal strategy be to always have someone tend it and then decide mid-putt whether leaving it in or pulling it will benefit the putt? is it legal to do this? does the tender have to make the decision on his own, or can the putter make the call out mid-putt?

I asked this question earlier. The rule says unattended pin but its not clear when you can ask for it to be tended. We don't know.

We don't know that, do we?

I asked this question earlier. The rule says unattended pin but its not clear when you can ask for it to be tended. We don't know.

We don't know that, do we?

Yes. The New Rules are available on the USGA website, and are very clear.

source on it being illegal starting '19?

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/golf-new-rules/Rules%20of%20Golf%20for%202019%20(Final).pdf

Rule 13.2.a(3)

Are you going to go back to Hickory shafts? Steel shafts made the game "easier" and at one point were against the rules.

https://golfhistorytoday.com/1926-usga-legalizes-steel-shaft/

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/golf-new-rules/Rules%20of%20Golf%20for%202019%20(Final).pdf Rule 13.2.a(3)

Link is 404 for me?

Ok found it.

Where does it say I cant ask you to leave it once my 30 footer is on the way?

Link is 404 for me?

Try this one, then click the link for New Rules of Golf for 2019. I imagine the same thing is available through the R&A website, but I haven't looked for it there.

http://www.usga.org/...-new-rules.html

OK, I just did, its on a link near the bottom of this page:

https://www.rules.golf/

http://www.usga.org/...for 2019 (Final).pdf Rule 13.2.a(3)

Link is 404 for me?

Ok found it.

Where does it say I cant ask you to leave it once my 30 footer is on the way?

13.2.a discusses what happens when the player chooses to leave the flag in. (3) says that if the player (or caddie or partner) removes the flagstick once the ball is in motion to affect where the ball might come to rest (including to avoid having the ball hit the flagstick in the hole), the player gets the "general penalty". You have to choose whether to leave the flagstick in, or whether to have it removed by someone attending it.

13.2.b talks about what happens once you decide to have it removed. If the person attending deliberately leaves the flagstick in, and the ball hits the flagstick, the player is penalized.

The rule is clear, you have to decide your course of action before you make a stroke.

It is going to be very interesting how this all unfolds. The physics indicate that putting with the pin in is an advantage. A few questions:

1. Are we going to see flag manufacturers designing "more receptive pins"?

2. Will the PGA Tour institute a local rule requiring pins to be taken out? I would bet on it

3. Will golf clubs institute their own local rule?

4. Will there be revised golf etiquette suggestions? The pin to be removed when putting inside 20 feet? Pin removed when convenient?

1.Probably

2. No

3. No

4. No

It is going to be very interesting how this all unfolds. The physics indicate that putting with the pin in is an advantage. A few questions: 1. Are we going to see flag manufacturers designing "more receptive pins"? 2. Will the PGA Tour institute a local rule requiring pins to be taken out? I would bet on it 3. Will golf clubs institute their own local rule? 4. Will there be revised golf etiquette suggestions? The pin to be removed when putting inside 20 feet? Pin removed when convenient?
1.Probably 2. No 3. No 4. No

No need to ramble on! :taunt:

Are you going to go back to Hickory shafts? Steel shafts made the game "easier" and at one point were against the rules.

https://golfhistorytoday.com/1926-usga-legalizes-steel-shaft/

Already slain that paper tiger. He’s dead and buried. We’re talking about now.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Can you provide any science and testing beyond Peltz's work?

I have never seen anything else and Peltz was running tests with very different parameters looking at speeds that go well beyond the hole.

I think I am going to putt directly at the hole with a little more power to take the break out of it knowing the ball will hit the flagstick and drop in. There's always interesting ways to take advantage of the situation which will result in lowering my handicap a couple of Strokes.

Of course when you don't hit that same putt into the center of the flagstick and it strikes a side of the flagstick and comes out you'll never know whether that same putt would've hit slightly to the side of the back of the hole and dropped down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Can you provide any science and testing beyond Peltz's work?

I have never seen anything else and Peltz was run tests with very different parameters looking at speeds that go well beyond the hole.

I personally have no testing other than myself and Pelz work.

Flag would help even more on softer putts though

Please do give the physics lesson Mr wizard.

Hit it 10 ft by dead center and it will hit the back and pop over or spit back out at you. If you hit it on the lip it will power off in the opposite direction. But there’s a chance of hitting it slightly off center and it staying in.

Now add a flagstick there. It has almost zero shot at going in. If it hits the pin its coming out. Maybe won’t go by as far. But thats a poor lag putt strategy.

I’m telling you that no good player who’s learned this game flag out is going to rewire his brain to putt flag in. Might as wel get used to putting your own pin back in. Because most arent going to do it for you.

i would consider myself a good player and I make more putts with the pin in outside 15ft. I'm leaving it in next year. I am in minority but don't be absolute in your statements.