MacGregor MT Split Sole Irons

My first onset of the obsessive vintage club disease manifested itself 15 years ago when I picked a set of Mac MT split sole irons with aluminum shafts at a local thrift store. Well,,, too many clubs to count since then, but yesterday I scored this near mint set of Mac MT split soles 2-10. I don't think they were hit a dozen times and then put away. The grips are still soft and pliable. There isn't much gray area with the split sole MT's, either you love them or hate them. I looked in the Kaplan Mac book to date them but came away confused. The book shows MT markings on the face by the scoing lines for the 1969 and 1970 MT split sole models. These have arrows identical to the 1970 VIP irons but these aren't VIP's. Also found this an unusual set because of the extra length +1" shafts. Comments appreciated.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Edge GS 3-PW Apex 3
Hogan Apex ll, 3-9, Apex 4
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first onset of the obsessive vintage club disease manifested itself 15 years ago when I picked a set of Mac MT split sole irons with aluminum shafts at a local thrift store. Well,,, too many clubs to count since then, but yesterday I scored this near mint set of Mac MT split soles 2-10. I don't think they were hit a dozen times and then put away. The grips are still soft and pliable. There isn't much gray area with the split sole MT's, either you love them or hate them. I looked in the Kaplan Mac book to date them but came away confused. The book shows MT markings on the face by the scoing lines for the 1969 and 1970 MT split sole models. These have arrows identical to the 1970 VIP irons but these aren't VIP's. Also found this an unusual set because of the extra length +1" shafts. Comments appreciated.
What did you pay for these? They look really nice.

What did you pay for these? They look really nice.

$20.18 plus tax for the MT's. I used my 25% GW birthday month discount. Also picked up a real nice Ping Kushin and Bullseye putter for $4.50 that were in the bin too.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

What a steal! They look fantastic

'Thanks. I'm thinking about playing these at the WI vintage outing on the 15th. I don't need +1" length and really can hit stiff shaftsl, but ......these just look and feel so sweet.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

What a steal! They look fantastic

'Thanks. I'm thinking about playing these at the WI vintage outing on the 15th. I don't need +1" length and really can hit stiff shaftsl, but ......these just look and feel so sweet.

Would love to see them in person

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Scott-

Have written at length about the MacGregor MT irons with Split-Level soles. Yes, MacGregor called these "Split-Level" soles.

Tom Weiskopf was in one of their first photo ad campaigns, though he was using a set of 985 Tourney Custom irons when we saw him.

With 1" long, it's likely you have a Special Order Custom set.

What's the Reg No?

Scott-

Have written at length about the MacGregor MT irons with Split-Level soles. Yes, MacGregor called these "Split-Level" soles.

Tom Weiskopf was in one of their first photo ad campaigns, though he was using a set of 985 Tourney Custom irons when we saw him.

With 1" long, it's likely you have a Special Order Custom set.

What's the Reg No?

3L1E37 is the registration number on the ferrules on all except the 10 iron which has a matching ferrule but no registration number. The 10 iron shaft band also notes it as a Tourney Wedge Extra Length 1" versus Tourney Light Extra Length 1" that is on 2-9 irons. I thought it might be a special order set but the arrow club face markings really puzzle me (unless the customer had a preference for them, or that's what MacGregor told him he was getting)?

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

Scott-

"I thought it might be a special order set but the arrow club face markings really puzzle me ...."

?

According to the Kaplan Compilation of the MacGregor Catalogs-

Your clubs have the correct clubface design for the 1971 MacGregor Tourney MT with Tourney Lite steel shaft. There are

photos of the club faces, and these are shown on pp.4-5 of the 1971 MacGregor Catalog.

It is really an exceptional forging, and the club grind may have been done by either Art Emerson or Don White, who did work on the Split-Level irons.

In an interview from October, 2012, Don White told me the Split Level irons were the first MacGregor iron grinds he did work on.

They were very few LH MacGregor MT muscleback models- the one LH MT 10 iron with a muscleback grind like yours had this same clubface < >

The MT Split-Level irons were one of the rarest LH clubs from MacGregor, as the muscleback grind for nearly every LH MacGregor iron stops at the 9 iron,not the 10.(PW). One of the best examples were the M series Wingback irons

The back pad continues through the RH sets, some including the Sand Iron. Not so for the LH models.

And with lightweight steel shafts?

Yours is indeed a rare set, and their condition makes them quite the find.

Scott-

"I thought it might be a special order set but the arrow club face markings really puzzle me ...."

?

According to the Kaplan Compilation of the MacGregor Catalogs-

Your clubs have the correct clubface design for the 1971 MacGregor Tourney MT with Tourney Lite steel shaft. There are

photos of the club faces, and these are shown on pp.4-5 of the 1971 MacGregor Catalog.

It is really an exceptional forging, and the club grind may have been done by either Art Emerson or Don White, who did work on the Split-Level irons.

In an interview from October, 2012, Don White told me the Split Level irons were the first MacGregor iron grinds he did work on.

They were very few LH MacGregor MT muscleback models- the one LH MT 10 iron with a muscleback grind like yours had this same clubface < >

The MT Split-Level irons were one of the rarest LH clubs from MacGregor, as the muscleback grind for nearly every LH MacGregor iron stops at the 9 iron,not the 10.(PW). One of the best examples were the M series Wingback irons

The back pad continues through the RH sets, some including the Sand Iron. Not so for the LH models.

And with lightweight steel shafts?

Yours is indeed a rare set, and their condition makes them quite the find.

Thanks for the information and background on this set. I only have the first edition Kaplan Mac book that goes through 1970, adding the 2nd edition along with his Wilson book to my acquisition list.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

Dude! Come visit me in South Florida this Winter and bring those along. We can both play our 71's.

I want to see how many new bunkers you create with those down here. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Dude! Come visit me in South Florida this Winter and bring those along. We can both play our 71's.

I want to see how many new bunkers you create with those down here. ;)

Actually have had a couple of oil frackers call me and ask if I'd be interested in smacking shale. Not a bad idea to venture south..it's Sept in the tundra and after the monsoons pass the snow flies. Keep it in mind. Thanks.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

Last time I tried a set of Split Soles on the range they lost a golf cart and tee mower in the ditch I made

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I picked up a set of the VIP Split Soles 2-9 with the "1" shafts in them...without a doubt, they are the stoutest shafts I've ever felt in irons. Absolute pipes.

Pro Pel 1s you mean yep those are absolutely round bar stock--- Pro Pel 2s for me anymore are absolute rebar. Oh but back in the day those and the Brunswick 7.0 were the shafts for me. Another Stout shaft Hogan Apex #5

Last time I tried a set of Split Soles on the range they lost a golf cart and tee mower in the ditch I made

Wow is that ever a nice set of irons! They are in amazing condition. I've never had a chance to try the split-level irons but I sure would like to. I've never run across a set. I must say that a sole that narrow does scare me a little. Maybe even a lot. Ha! Like Stu mentions above, they look like they'd dig clean through to China if you let them get away on you. I guess I'd better get me a set and give em' a rip. Nice find!

I bidded won MacGregor irons of set by EBay

That's lady club of set. I custom fitting there my new set.

I pulled there steel shaft trimmed smaller than .335 hole hosel. Stand drills, Reaming and Boring Vise hole hosel .355 irons

- Nippon N.S. Pro 120s steel shafts

- A.W.T 2.0 Stiff by Nippon from Ping Golf special

image_zpsqwmyzvks.jpeg

image_zpsahkyueae.jpeg

I pulled there steel shaft trimmed smaller than .335 hole hosel. Stand drills, Reaming and Boring Vise hole hosel .355 irons

image_zpsqwmyzvks.jpeg

image_zpsahkyueae.jpeg

Nice job updating with the new shafts. I like seeing that kind of thing. Cool bag too.

image_zpsqwmyzvks.jpeg

image_zpsahkyueae.jpeg

Those are nice-- I am all about reshafting where one can play them. Love the Macgregor visor and putter cover. You also did an excellent job on the bag stencil

BIG STU,

Thanks, Yes, re-shaft new steel shafts on MacGregor Custom MX irons. There are different lofts in 70's.

Originally. I need more strong loft.

3 iron - 23 loft. -------- 22 loft

4 iron - 27 loft -------- 26 loft

5 iron - 30.5 loft ----- 29 loft

6 iron - 34 loft

7 iron - 38 loft

8 iron - 43 loft

9 iron - 47 loft

I worry, I don't want break the bore hosel iron. I think enough.

OH yeah you are fine in just going 1*. When folks go to jacking them 3 or 4* and jerking on them hard to do so then there is when the problems with breakage start. Most breakages on forged irons come from lie adjustments because that can be radical and again people jerking hard trying to get the number in one big bend

• 7 months later...

I'm a little late to this party but I just got a new old stock MT split sole because this is the first set my father ever used and my older brothers also used this, and it was eventually passed on to me. We threw away that set already which had rusted so much and had been through so many regrips, reshafts, and bends. So when this became available brand new, I snagged it and gifted it to my dad whose birthday was a couple of days ago.

evei8ww8kse5.jpg

y49q58opi32y.jpg

k3anb7l8dxg2.jpg

3srotpbnii2v.jpg

y7rs3g47ul2w.jpg

z6svi85kgq8n.jpg

2tody56ifvuj.jpg

hz0s0c420hrw.jpg

tucxwo4mxhwk.jpg

rt467fz9en8i.jpg

zama7dzhlbnv.jpg

Nice and that was a great thing for your Dad on his birthday

• Like 1

If they had designed the front part of that sole with a bit of bounce angle (like a Ping Eye 2 Plus wedge although maybe not quite to that degree) they would have been a lot more playable. That sort of thing just wasn't done much back then. Regardless those are some beautiful irons pictured above.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy