2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2018 Northern Trust at Ridgewood CC

NaBUru38

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the golfers that have won the US Amateur, NCAA Championship and 3 PGA Tour events before turning 25

Jack Nicklaus

Tiger Woods

Phil Mickelson

Bryson DeChambeau

Wow,, thanks for the stat.. Impressive.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

If Kuchar or Schauffele wins next week, that's the only other way that Finau is knocked out

Kuchar ain't winning next week, but he should be in the team room in Paris as an assistant with Tiger being picked as a player. I agree with Shauffele. Maybe a wildcard pick in Wise? If he goes out and wins next week, who knows. One win this season, good form, and performed well in match play as an amateur. And young.

"Tiger will do more than any other man in history to change the course of humanity...He is the Chosen One. He'll have the power to impact nations. Not people. Nations." - Earl Woods

"Tiger has Thai, African, Chinese, American Indian, and European blood. He can hold everyone together. He is the Universal Child." - Kutilda Woods

Today a reporter asked Tiger Woods if he had anything broadly to say about the state and the discourse of race relations. Tiger said, "No, I just finished 72 holes and am really hungry." With that said, Tiger has always said that he only thinks about race when the media asks him.

What a moronic idiotic question.Who was this reporter?

John Branch. New York Times reporter based out of San Francisco. Could he be any more of a cliche? Lol.

"Tiger will do more than any other man in history to change the course of humanity...He is the Chosen One. He'll have the power to impact nations. Not people. Nations." - Earl Woods

"Tiger has Thai, African, Chinese, American Indian, and European blood. He can hold everyone together. He is the Universal Child." - Kutilda Woods

Today a reporter asked Tiger Woods if he had anything broadly to say about the state and the discourse of race relations. Tiger said, "No, I just finished 72 holes and am really hungry." With that said, Tiger has always said that he only thinks about race when the media asks him.

What a moronic idiotic question.Who was this reporter?

John Branch. New York Times reporter based out of San Francisco. Could he be any more of a cliche? Lol.

Well there's your problem. NYT is a joke. Especially considering their recent hire to their editorial board.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked the course out on the pgatour home page. Looks too Pinehurst-ish for my taste and for a good TV experience.. Many holes down the stretch (the holes people really follow on TV) seem to look the same, tunnels in the forest with no water or other hazards beside bunkers and rough. Probably a lot of greens hit and rather few birdies. But this is only from looking at the course page on the homepage. We'll see when the tournament starts.

Think more of Baltusrol and Tillie than Ross and Pinehurst. No real raised greens. There are few humpedback greens but plenty of flattish or lumpy/knobby greens.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

Why are they starting on 9 instead of 10? is it just a logistics issue or Pace of Play issue

Per pga and ridgewood it was logistics. multiple hole numbers were changed. Remember course is a composite 18h of available 36h.

Why are they starting on 9 instead of 10? is it just a logistics issue or Pace of Play issue

Looks like with the rerouting of the holes from 2014 there wasn't a good hole "10", even hole 9 is kinda far from the practice area.

Yeah that was my thought. It looks like 9 and 10 are both far from the practice area, so not sure why they wouldn't have just used 10.

Ton more space @9th. Holes 10th & 11th are @course boundary with limited space. 9th has plenty of space for smaller th/fri player/caddy tent pre-tee prep/stockup.

Checked the course out on the pgatour home page. Looks too Pinehurst-ish for my taste and for a good TV experience.. Many holes down the stretch (the holes people really follow on TV) seem to look the same, tunnels in the forest with no water or other hazards beside bunkers and rough. Probably a lot of greens hit and rather few birdies. But this is only from looking at the course page on the homepage. We'll see when the tournament starts.

Grew up looping at this course so I am biased but, it's a great track and quite nuanced. No two holes feel or look the same in person. Rough has been nasty lately because of the rain and I'm hoping they left it alone. A bit worried about the greens being slower and easier than normal for the same reason but we'll see.

I know you know the course based on the comments. You just echoed the same sentiments of the course super when we had a convo before the tournament.

What is going on at Ridgewood? Seem like someones been driving a piece of power equipment near the two featured groups for about two hours and they've been doing so in reverse. That beeping noise should've been stopped long ago.

beeping usually happened only when cart or lrg vehicles were backing up.

Some idiot just yelled "I hope he breaks his ankle" after Finau made birdie.

Damn, how can anyone hate Finau? Never heard a bad word about him ... in fairness you don’t hear that many words about him but still.

He's pretty quiet and somewhat introverted. He does have his moments and likes a good laugh. Good guy hard not to root for him. Definitely has game.

Can someone tazer that idiot in the crowd?

The Finau hater?

I actually posted before the Finau comment, but it sounded like the same guy. Been watching featured groups for 5 minutes, and it’s already on mute.

Don't hate us over here for it. It's not the US. It's New Jersey.

Actually usually when I ask where people are from its usually not the people from nj making the comments.

However, it is very obviously the alcohol talking. Unfortunately, the person is often young and doesn't actually play.

Did Jordan Spieth miss a 7” putt??

Top tracer/ shotlink measured the putt on 18th as 8".

However, the triangulated camera around the green is sometimes wrong. The shotlink vol always checks the measurement jic.

Phil said post round yesterday that he was miffed as to why he drove the ball so poorly. Said he found something in his driver and had been hitting it great, and that he expected to play some really good golf throughout the playoffs. Guess he wasn't wrong.

Phil had a good start and vg putts on the front nine.

In the 2nd nine, Phil couldn't find the fairway at all and scrambled to many bogeys.

This is an unbelievable course and facility. My daughter played in the USGA Girl's Junior at Ridgewood a couple of years ago. Was a very memorable trip. A member watching my daughters group was tell us about number 12. The announcers keep referring to it as the 5 and Dime. The gentleman told me that the members call it the 5 and Dime for another reason. It is a 5 iron from the tee and if they don't hit the green they are making a 10.

This is the same hole Phil "visited" the beer garden 2x and played shot off the astroturf over the plywood.

Apologies, thought it was intended differently and I apologise if I came off hostile, I was surprised to see you back to be honest. We actually were finding a lot of common ground when you last posted if I remember correctly.

A lot has changed with Tiger since we last spoke. Do you still think he will never win again or has he convinced you more? What do you think of the putter change as well?

I'll try my best not to get to argumentive this time, it's just golf.

FIRs&GIRs&3-Putts

“Do you still think he will never win again or has he convinced you more? What do you think of the putter change as well?”

……………..

As I promised, here’s my thoughts to your 2 fine questions.

Firstly, I’m a Tiger fan but I tend to be brutally honest in my evaluations and I’ve always been one who has little time or inclination to sugar-coat anything or get overly romantic of the past - I like living in the present, but I’m curious and welcome the future.

As for Tiger’s season so far, from the context of where he’s come from 2 years ago when questioning if he’d ever physically be able to play the game competitively again - it’s been outstanding. But to your specific question “Do you still think he will never win again or has he convinced you more?” Yes it’s possible he could win again (given the right conditions / setup / course / strength of field / and his mental & technical vulnerabilities improve) but even then it won’t be easy and it’s no way a certainty either. Let me explain a little more.

As I’ve touched on before, due to the huge evolution and professionalisation of the game over recent times, the quality, competition and depth of talent today is far higher than it’s ever been and as a result far more difficult to win (this is widely acknowledged) and mentally Tiger is well aware of this reality too. Tiger also knows players today are no longer afraid of him, in fact they actually look forward to going against him and taking his scalp. Tiger in his peak years used his massive distance over the field as a huge advantage, today that’s all gone and now he’s only about 35th in distance with relatively poor accuracy. Compare him to DJ, Brooks, JT etc, he can’t live with them and they all hit irons and wedges close and putt lights out too. Tiger even spoke to this sobering reality at the PGA when saying “He [@BKoepka] is a tough guy to beat when he's hitting it 340 in the air ... @DJohnsonPGA's done it, now @McIlroyRory's doing it, Brooksy does it." - TigerWoods

In many ways Tiger has helped create the very fields he’s struggling to win against today, a bit like the old adage of the student evolving and surpassing the master (and his has nothing to do with surpassing his records btw).

I also acknowledge Tiger is almost 43yrs old and despite being fully fit and healthy again (which is great news), mentally he still looks vulnerable out there as pressure increases, and we’ve seen this throughout most of the season. But lets be fair, Tiger has had a few great chances this year to seal a win but as I’ve already pointed to, in the key pressure moments he’s been found wanting. I actually believe the longer he fails to close out these winning opportunities, the harder mentally it will become for him to get one over the line in todays climate.

So in a nutshell, if Tiger’s putter can stay reliable, if he can ever sort out his erratic driving so it becomes a weapon not a worry, and if he can become better mentally under pressure - then with some luck against the right SOF, on the right course, with the right conditions & setup, yes I think it’s possible he can win again. But that’s a lot of ‘if’s that need to align.

That’s my brutally honest (and impartial as can be) assessment.

I think it’s a fair assessment apart from a couple things.

I would presume by right SOF you mean it would need to be on the weaker end? I don’t really see where this would come from, his three best chances to win came in 2 majors and the Valspar this year, Valspar is obviously not a great field, a good finish at API and a finish at Memorial which I think everyone can agree he played better than, a good Players Championship as well (not saying he was close to winning them but he had good performances in really tough fields).

Also the whole struggling under pressure thing, I can see where it comes from but I can’t agree with a lot of it. Normally people point to the back nine scoring average and yes I won’t deny it’s way worse than the front but I’ve noticed a different trend which is more good nine/bad nine, he plays the back nine of rounds well when he has a poor front nine and vice versa, R1 of Quicken Loans (this was less extreme), PGA and Memorial to blame a few. This is still a concern to me obviously because he’s struggling to put a full round together, I put it down to him just not being what he once was and I’m doubtful he’ll be able to consistently put it all together for a round, closest we’ve seen was final round of Bellerive. I can’t comment on the open to be honest, I was at there for 6 days including Sunday so I still don’t really know a lot about how people really played, with Spieth and Tiger being my two favourite players I didn’t want to dwell that much on the Open, lol. PGA was interesting, I understand why people called the drive on 17 a choke but I think I disagree on what a choke is in the first place, to me a choke is when pressure causes you to do something you wouldn’t normally do - so a really bad putter missing an important 7 footer isn’t really a choke to me but a historically good putter missing an important 7 footer I could consider a choke (there are obviously a lot more variables here but I’m already getting taken away to the land of hypotheticals, lol) so I wouldn’t consider Rory’s poor wedge into 18 at Carnoustie a choke (I could hear the groans even from the 17th green) as he isn’t exactly the world’s greatest wedge player. So it’s hard for me to call Tiger missing the fairway with a driver a choke (I realise that you didn’t say that, I’m just going with what people have typically said).

Since I mentioned last time that I don’t think Tiger can win another major, I thought I’d say that I would still be surprised if he gets 15 but he’s got a significantly better chance than he did before the Open.

Thank you for the response.

As one who was @ the Open the entire tournament, it was mostly respect par w/ constantly changing wind & periods of rain surprise.

Definitely fairways & greens player did well but hot putting saves bogey or worse when the inevitable mistake occurred.

Miss in the wrong area and the rough was belly button high. Land on the gallery side and rough was knee to thigh high. All players except fool hardy took a wedge and layed up. 90% rough lies were deep cups and wrist rippers.

Tiger had little of the safe game and worse mistake avoidance. His putting did him few favors either.

The ridiculous man crush these announcers have on Koepka is nauseating. He's not close to an nfl linebacker and he would be out of place at an NFL combine. Equally nauseating is the crush they have on DeChambeau. He does things his way for sure but he isn't some sort of rocket scientist playing golf. Get over it.

He's not a rocket scientist. However, he does have a degree in physics.

I tend to agree though, they do seem to think he's found some "Dr Strange" type extra dimension that helps him play better golf. Like on that lag putt he just hit they were like (paraphrase) "there's definitely a benefit to having every angle figured out for each putt, knowing every calculation" etc....

It's like, guys practice putting a lot. They talk about him like he walks up and down the course with a lab coat and makes the ball move with the sheer power of formulas

It is a little nauseating to be honest, and i don't get easily nauseated

Having someone out on the PGA Tour with a degree in physics is highly unusual though. These days a college graduate in any field is unusual on the PGA Tour with they guys turning pro sooner. I wonder what the announcers would say about a golfer that had a psychology degree.

Forget who but there are a few pros with psych degrees.

The ridiculous man crush these announcers have on Koepka is nauseating. He's not close to an nfl linebacker and he would be out of place at an NFL combine. Equally nauseating is the crush they have on DeChambeau. He does things his way for sure but he isn't some sort of rocket scientist playing golf. Get over it.

He's not a rocket scientist. However, he does have a degree in physics.

I tend to agree though, they do seem to think he's found some "Dr Strange" type extra dimension that helps him play better golf. Like on that lag putt he just hit they were like (paraphrase) "there's definitely a benefit to having every angle figured out for each putt, knowing every calculation" etc....

It's like, guys practice putting a lot. They talk about him like he walks up and down the course with a lab coat and makes the ball move with the sheer power of formulas

It is a little nauseating to be honest, and i don't get easily nauseated

Having someone out on the PGA Tour with a degree in physics is highly unusual though. These days a college graduate in any field is unusual on the PGA Tour with they guys turning pro sooner. I wonder what the announcers would say about a golfer that had a psychology degree.

Forget who but there are a few pros with psych degrees.

the fact that you can't remember them is probably not a strong argument for it being an asset...

but there is no question you have to have an imagination capable of thinking of all the different scenarios.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5