Golf in Melbourne Australia

Gonzo99us

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have picked a great place to base yourself from. I don't live in Melbourne, but have played there a bit. My suggestions:

10-15km south you have Royal Melbourne, Victoria, Metropolitan, Kingston Heath, Commonwealth (amongst other). Prime Sandbelt. As an international visitor you will get limited access, and it will be expensive.

You can also head 90min south to Mornington Peninsula. St Andrews Beach, The National, Moonah Links, The Dunes. National is private with limited access, the rest are open to the public. I have played St Andrews Beach, and it is an absolute cracker.

Probably the 2 best pockets of golf in Australia. Lucky you.

visting my wifes family in Australia, specifically Blackburn South VIC 3130

looking for any general tips for playing down there, and specifically in that area........I've got a few months before the trip, but figured this would be a good time to get the ball rolling.

You have picked a great place to base yourself from. I don't live in Melbourne, but have played there a bit. My suggestions:

10-15km south you have Royal Melbourne, Victoria, Metropolitan, Kingston Heath, Commonwealth (amongst other). Prime Sandbelt. As an international visitor you will get limited access, and it will be expensive.

You can also head 90min south to Mornington Peninsula. St Andrews Beach, The National, Moonah Links, The Dunes. National is private with limited access, the rest are open to the public. I have played St Andrews Beach, and it is an absolute cracker.

As Benno said, just try to play as many of the sandbelt courses as you can. They won't be cheap but it is easier to get a game as an international visitor than it is as a local. If you can play one of them in the comp chances are you will play with someone who will know someone at the other clubs who can then invite you as a guest which is heaps cheaper and then it just snowballs to the other clubs. Definitely St Andrews Beach and The Dunes down on the mornington Peninsula and locally Riversdale and The Heritage are very good.

visting my wifes family in Australia, specifically Blackburn South VIC 3130

looking for any general tips for playing down there, and specifically in that area........I've got a few months before the trip, but figured this would be a good time to get the ball rolling.

As Benno said, just try to play as many of the sandbelt courses as you can. They won't be cheap but it is easier to get a game as an international visitor than it is as a local. If you can play one of them in the comp chances are you will play with someone who will know someone at the other clubs who can then invite you as a guest which is heaps cheaper and then it just snowballs to the other clubs. Definitely St Andrews Beach and The Dunes down on the mornington Peninsula and locally Riversdale and The Heritage are very good.

wow....thanks.....from what i've read, they ask for "club letters" to get on at most.......are they super strick about this stuff, or can i just kinda talk my way on through the phone ? curious about this part....figured i'll be playing mid week, it might be easier to pull off if i don't currently belong to a club.

thanks for the info......and any other pointers/tips/recs for other things melbourne, please shoot my way.

wow....thanks.....from what i've read, they ask for "club letters" to get on at most.......are they super strick about this stuff, or can i just kinda talk my way on through the phone ? curious about this part....figured i'll be playing mid week, it might be easier to pull off if i don't currently belong to a club.

thanks for the info......and any other pointers/tips/recs for other things melbourne, please shoot my way.

As a player from Intestate, I have had to provide letters from my club when playing in the Sandbelt (except for corporate days). I was under the impression they are quite strict about it for interstate players, but not sure about International. A few phone calls will clear that up.

As you don't have an Australian handicap, you won't be able to play in any of the comps they hold.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

And if you get time hop on a plane and head 45 minutes south to King island and play Cape Wickham and Ocean Dunes, both seriously good courses. And another day or two will let you get to Tasmania where Barnbougle and Lost Farm await. This is where Doak and Crenshaw have left their early footprints. These 4 are world top 100 courses.

• 2 weeks later...

I too will be in Melbourne for three weeks over the upcoming holidays. Am interested in introductions onto member courses and/or a good name for an instructor for help with my swing.

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

• 10 months later...

I live in Phoenix az USA. Went to Ireland this past March and loved it. Trying to plan another International trip

Option 1: Scotland and England

Option 2: Tokyo and Melbourne

Flights to Asia seem easier and less expensive out of LA. Tokyo interests me and I saw I could do La-Tokyo-Melbourne-LA for around $1200. Scotland would be great but it’s a lot of driving. I’m very into golf course architecture. North Berwick to Royal Dornoch is a hike.

How tough is access to the top courses in Melbourne & Tokyo? I’m guessing Melbourne is superior to Sydney for golf. I went on a course websites (RM & Kingston Heath). It appears like you can get access but need a letter from your head pro. I do not belong to a club since there are so many public options in Phoenix

I live in Phoenix az USA. Went to Ireland this past March and loved it. Trying to plan another International trip

Option 1: Scotland and England

Option 2: Tokyo and Melbourne

Flights to Asia seem easier and less expensive out of LA. Tokyo interests me and I saw I could do La-Tokyo-Melbourne-LA for around $1200. Scotland would be great but it's a lot of driving. I'm very into golf course architecture. North Berwick to Royal Dornoch is a hike.

How tough is access to the top courses in Melbourne & Tokyo? I'm guessing Melbourne is superior to Sydney for golf. I went on a course websites (RM & Kingston Heath). It appears like you can get access but need a letter from your head pro. I do not belong to a club since there are so many public options in Phoenix

Sydney has some good courses too, but Melbourne has a LOT of good courses compared to Sydney.

Even if you can't get on RM or KH, you can head south - St Andrews Beach, The Dunes, Moonah Links, 13th Beach all feature highly in Australia's top courses. Not as good as the Sandbelt, but not far off.

• 4 weeks later...

I take golf tours to Melbourne regularly. SOME of the Sandbelt courses are more than happy to have guests play but it depends on the day and time. A friendly email cannot hurt.

My suggestion would be Metropolitan and Commonwealth (Victoria would be on the list but I am unsure as to when the major renovations will be completed)

Down towards Cape Schank you have the opportunity to play a few courses. My suggestion would be The National. 3 18 hole courses that are all amazing.

Moonah Links has accommodation and 2 courses. The Legends is relatively easy, wide and a good neutral course but The Open course is pretty tough.

Remember it cane get windy in the afternoon down on the Mornington Peninsula so book early tee times if possible. It is possible to stay in the Melbourne CBD and drive down which will take roughly 1 hour on a very easy road to drive.

best time to play golf in melbourne/sydney, or that area in general? ... seasons are flipped, so early june's weather would be their late fall? ... i've seen on one site (can't remember) where they close from about mid july to late august (or something like that) ... any different for nz? or tasmania?

Nothing beats autumn in Melbourne. March, April you get some lovely days, still warm, and the courses play firm and fast

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...