Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Just stumbled upon this thread and figured I'd introduce myself as a fellow Denverite.

Caddied outside of Chicago for 10 years growing up and moved out here about 4 years ago. Been playing on and off since then, but got the itch this summer and have probably gotten 20-25 rounds in. Broke 80 for the first time ever - with a triple - while I was at it over at Commonground a few weeks back.

Tinkering with a few clubs in my bag since I'm not as nimble as I was when I built my bag as a caddie (anyone have a stiff 910 or 983 lying around?), but so happy we live in a state that I can play for the next few months and get things dialed in.

Playing Riverdale Dunes for the first time this Sunday - glad to be back on WRX after all these years, nice to meet you all in advance.

Titleist 910D2 - 9.5* driver
Titleist 909 F3 - 3 wood (Adam Scott threw it out and now it's in my bag)
Titleist 910H - 21* hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 14's - 4-W
Vokey SM6 - 52* | 56* | 60* wedges
Ping Anser "Karsten Co" putter

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, new to WRX. I am wondering if anyone has any good leads on a quality instructor in the south Denver area (Englewood, Aurora, Greenwood Village). Had only one lesson in my life and I was a kid. Before this summer, I hadn't played in a couple of years. Don't know my current handicap, mainly shoot in mid to upper 80's on Denver and Aurora Public courses. My biggest problem is off the tee. I used to be very consistent off the tee and have full confidence in my driver (2014 Cobra Bio Cell). Due to my carelessness I broke the stock shaft, it was some black project x, x-stiff shaft. I had it re-shafted to a Aldila NV 75-x that the PGA Super Store guy recommended (I swing hard, 115mph+ SS, 160mph+ ball speed). Ever since the re-shafting, I rarely hit it straight. It will travel probably 80-100 yards straight, before ballooning up and turning into a hard slice. My second shots are pretty much always from the tree line, other fairway, etc. I believe it is indian not the arrow. I have watched countless YouTube videos on drills, grips, etc. to no avail. It is time for a lesson.

I've got an extra slot for tomorrow morning at 10:16 at Collindale Golf Club in Fort Collins.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Played Broadlands yesterday afternoon following a charity tournament so we never had to wait once which was awesome! What was not awesome was their greens. It was like putting on living room carpet. Also it appeared that nobody in that tournament fixed a ball mark the whole day. But hey for $20 with cart I guess it is what it is.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Hey guys! Good to see everyone is still out here yukkin it up as always. Good to see a few usernames I haven't seen before. Also, welcome Skylines and ontheroad! You'll like the crew on here. Everyone I have talked to and met has been exceptional.

Bummer about Thorncreek but not too surprising. This is their chance to get the course right and if they don't it's not going to be good. I always thought the hole designs were a little weird but it was really the conditions which I hated. Do you like the redesigned holes too?

I'm a little bummed I missed the opening of TPC Colorado. Sounds like it will be a little more filled in next year though.

My wife and I got to play Le Golf National before we left Paris and DAAAAAMNNN. That course is HARD. I looked at the rating on the scorecard and it's a 76.9. If they don't change the rough it's going to be tough, even on the big boys. Driving will be the most important asset it seems. The rough is almost knee-high and super thick; you can't find anything in it. It's a really great, super fun layout too. 15 and 18 share an island green. It's a really great track, if you're ever out in Paris go play it!

Hey guys! Good to see everyone is still out here yukkin it up as always. Good to see a few usernames I haven't seen before. Also, welcome Skylines and ontheroad! You'll like the crew on here. Everyone I have talked to and met has been exceptional.

Bummer about Thorncreek but not too surprising. This is their chance to get the course right and if they don't it's not going to be good. I always thought the hole designs were a little weird but it was really the conditions which I hated. Do you like the redesigned holes too?

I'm a little bummed I missed the opening of TPC Colorado. Sounds like it will be a little more filled in next year though.

My wife and I got to play Le Golf National before we left Paris and DAAAAAMNNN. That course is HARD. I looked at the rating on the scorecard and it's a 76.9. If they don't change the rough it's going to be tough, even on the big boys. Driving will be the most important asset it seems. The rough is almost knee-high and super thick; you can't find anything in it. It's a really great, super fun layout too. 15 and 18 share an island green. It's a really great track, if you're ever out in Paris go play it!

Was just thinking about you today. I looked into playing it post-Ryder Cup, but it’s a little bit of a budget blaster for me. Doesn’t look like it’ll happen. Glad to hear it’s as good as advertised.

Hope all is well over in Europe. Like I said, if you find yourself in London in November. 15, let me know. I’ll have tickets waiting for you at Wembley’s will call.

Was just thinking about you today. I looked into playing it post-Ryder Cup, but it’s a little bit of a budget blaster for me. Doesn’t look like it’ll happen. Glad to hear it’s as good as advertised.

Hope all is well over in Europe. Like I said, if you find yourself in London in November. 15, let me know. I’ll have tickets waiting for you at Wembley’s will call.

Yeah it hurt the bank account but it's one of those "when are we going to do this again?!" situations; especially right before the Ryder Cup. Also shockingly my game is terrible right now so I think I lost 10ish balls which also didn't help the pocketbook. Yeah, it really sucks watching your game go poof after putting in that much time and just taking a year off.

I wish I could make it brother. I will be in Thailand in November meeting some friends that are coming out from Portland. I will at least get to play a couple more rounds in Hong Kong. We played with a really great couple from Hong Kong when we played Carnoustie and they invited us. This time I'll need a few buckets of balls first or it's going to be ROUGH.

Side Note: I just read through the official rule changes that will go into effect. They definitely made some modifications since I first read all the modernization rules. The old rules were incredibly ridiculous. I have literally spent 40+ hours on the USGA site doing rules quizzes making sure I knew as much as I could and I don't think I got a single quiz 100%. That is silly.

Anyway, I'm super pumped about the new rules. I'm a little nervous for tournaments and using an old rule but it is what it is. I'm also not excited about needing to remember all this stuff all over again but thankfully most of them are FINALLY intuitive and make sense.

What do you guys think?

Yeah it hurt the bank account but it's one of those "when are we going to do this again?!" situations; especially right before the Ryder Cup. Also shockingly my game is terrible right now so I think I lost 10ish balls which also didn't help the pocketbook. Yeah, it really sucks watching your game go poof after putting in that much time and just taking a year off.

I wish I could make it brother. I will be in Thailand in November meeting some friends that are coming out from Portland. I will at least get to play a couple more rounds in Hong Kong. We played with a really great couple from Hong Kong when we played Carnoustie and they invited us. This time I'll need a few buckets of balls first or it's going to be ROUGH.

All good! Did you play Gullane while up there? I’m waffling on what my other course to play will be around Edinburgh.

Side Note: I just read through the official rule changes that will go into effect. They definitely made some modifications since I first read all the modernization rules. The old rules were incredibly ridiculous. I have literally spent 40+ hours on the USGA site doing rules quizzes making sure I knew as much as I could and I don't think I got a single quiz 100%. That is silly.

Anyway, I'm super pumped about the new rules. I'm a little nervous for tournaments and using an old rule but it is what it is. I'm also not excited about needing to remember all this stuff all over again but thankfully most of them are FINALLY intuitive and make sense.

What do you guys think?

I'm sure it will take time to adjust to the new rules. Not sure about putting with the pin in though.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Wow, lots to catch up on. Sad to hear about Thorncreek, it used to be on our regular Northside rotation years ago. I can't even remember when I've played it last. In fact this year has to be the least variety of courses I've played in the last 10 years. I did get to play two mountain courses at least.

So glad that the Links doesn't punch the greens in the fall. Have our Ryder Cup the same weekend of the real Ryder Cup. I will not get any sleep that weekend and will probably play like crap, but it is by far the single best thing about our mens league.

So Dancin had it spot on about Thorncreek. Playable but would give it one more year to grow in.

The fairways are a bit thicjk as if they dont want cut them to thin right now and on a hole or two still has bare spots. Which is odd as they told everyone they spent 9 Million on the revisions and club house which a big part was the sprinkler system..?

Greens did roll true and the new ones do have more contouring. Once it grows in more will be fine. Right now you cant land it short and bounce on as Dancin noted which is needed to front pins which 25% where of course. Every drive I hit was all carry and would leave a huge ball mark whithin 1 foot of where it stopped.

We ended up -7 for team in a 4 man scramble.... Winning score was only -10 so tells you it was playing a bit difficult for a scramble =)

Welcome to all the new thread posters.

Joel have a sweet time, pretty jealous :D

All good! Did you play Gullane while up there? I’m waffling on what my other course to play will be around Edinburgh.

No we didn't. I had to rent clubs since there was no way I'm lugging mine on a 12 month world tour so I just asked the guy I rented from what courses he recommended and basically played all of them.

My take after 3 weeks around Edinburgh: If you're playing a course around Edinburgh my hands-down favorite was Dunbar Links. That one will be pricey ($120ish) but it was without a doubt the best links course we played sans Carnoustie 5 days after the Open. Honestly, any good links course near Edinburgh is going to be expensive. If you're on a budget and want to stay near or in Edinburgh go play Braid Hills. It's a super fun and quirky course that was fantastic and has some stunning views of Edinburgh.

If you're willing to travel north to the isle of Fife (about an hour) my favorite bang for the buck links course was the Eden Course at St. Andrews. The Eden course was sadly one of the few that was a more tournament style with super undulated greens and really made you think. One of the other overall favorites was the Kittocks Course at Fairmont St. Andrews. It's a new course so it's not really links style but overall it was a fantastic golf course, especially for $50ish. Let me know if you want any other opinions. We stuck to the east coast for golf as the weather is much better.

I'm sure it will take time to adjust to the new rules. Not sure about putting with the pin in though.

What's wrong with that? I personally think it's harder so what's wrong with someone taking a voluntary disadvantage? I do it all the time when practicing or playing alone anyway so meh.

So Dancin had it spot on about Thorncreek. Playable but would give it one more year to grow in.

The fairways are a bit thicjk as if they dont want cut them to thin right now and on a hole or two still has bare spots. Which is odd as they told everyone they spent 9 Million on the revisions and club house which a big part was the sprinkler system..?

Greens did roll true and the new ones do have more contouring. Once it grows in more will be fine. Right now you cant land it short and bounce on as Dancin noted which is needed to front pins which 25% where of course. Every drive I hit was all carry and would leave a huge ball mark whithin 1 foot of where it stopped.

We ended up -7 for team in a 4 man scramble.... Winning score was only -10 so tells you it was playing a bit difficult for a scramble =)

Thanks man. It's a once in a lifetime trip. Wife and I quit our jobs, sold most everything, put the rest in storage and took off with backpacks. So far we have been gone 4.5 months and seen 12 countries. We are currently holed up in Lido di Scanzano, Italy. The plan from here is to tour Italy for the next month or so before heading east to Croatia and Greece until near the end of October. From there we will go to Hong Kong for a week or so before meeting our friends in Thailand. After Thailand things are up in the air. Our ideas are a month or so in Indonesia (Bali anyone?!?!?) before going to New Zealand and renting a camper for a month to drive around and see what we can. We will head home likely sometime in the Jan-Apr window when we're either sick of traveling or run out of money.

I've got an extra slot for tomorrow morning at 10:16 at Collindale Golf Club in Fort Collins.

shoot..I didn't see this in time or would have joined you.

No worries. It's always nice to meet fellow GolfWRXers! Maybe next time!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

A few guys in my golf league are thinking about signing up for the Tuesday night Top Golf league. Anyone else interested or already signed up?

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Played Riverdale Dunes today, booked the tee time online. Guess I missed the notice, greens were about 5 days in from an aeration. Dropping putts was few and far between in our foursome, so we cracked a few Coors Banquets on the back 9 to make up for it.

Overall nice course. We played from the blues - was glad to not have to take driver every hole, switched it up between 4-5 iron, hybrid, and even a 3 wood here and there. Looking forward to getting back there later this season when the greens are a bit more true.

Probably headed to Commonground later this week as I've got 2 new (to me) drivers shipping out on Monday - Titleist 910d2 (stiff Fujikura Motore F3) and a 983k (stiff Fujikura Speeder). Hope everyone hit em straight this weekend!

Titleist 910D2 - 9.5* driver
Titleist 909 F3 - 3 wood (Adam Scott threw it out and now it's in my bag)
Titleist 910H - 21* hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 14's - 4-W
Vokey SM6 - 52* | 56* | 60* wedges
Ping Anser "Karsten Co" putter

Shot 34 - 45 today. Made four birdies on the front and lost 4 balls on the back. So that was interesting.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Shot 34 - 45 today. Made four birdies on the front and lost 4 balls on the back. So that was interesting.

Golf is weird.

2 weeks ago I shot a 75 at GVR.

Last week I shot a 75 at The Dunes.

This weekend, I shot an 86 at the Knolls and an 84 at GVR. It's like nothing felt right in my game, after a couple weeks of everything feeling right.

Also, this was probably the longest putt I've had in years. #17 at GVR. Back left pin, hit the front right of the green. Lasered it at 38 yards.

jTrxjky.jpg

Played Riverdale Dunes today, booked the tee time online. Guess I missed the notice, greens were about 5 days in from an aeration. Dropping putts was few and far between in our foursome, so we cracked a few Coors Banquets on the back 9 to make up for it.

Overall nice course. We played from the blues - was glad to not have to take driver every hole, switched it up between 4-5 iron, hybrid, and even a 3 wood here and there. Looking forward to getting back there later this season when the greens are a bit more true.

Probably headed to Commonground later this week as I've got 2 new (to me) drivers shipping out on Monday - Titleist 910d2 (stiff Fujikura Motore F3) and a 983k (stiff Fujikura Speeder). Hope everyone hit em straight this weekend!

I’m playing Riverdale tomorrow, hope the greens are a little better by then. Playing with some guys who love to bet so I need my putting advantage!

FYI CommonGround also aerated last week but I think you’ll be fine later in the week. I played 9 with my son yesterday and the greens were fuzzy and sooooo slow. Worked great for him. Not so good for me. Oh well, was a great time playing with him.

A few guys in my golf league are thinking about signing up for the Tuesday night Top Golf league. Anyone else interested or already signed up?

I was going to post about this, but they've raised their prices quite a bit from a few years ago when I used to do it.

$245 split between two people over 8 weeks (a shade over $15/person/week) still seems like a decent deal for 2-2.5 hours of bay time per visit. I just wish I wouldn't keep losing my damn Top Golf card. I hate paying replacement fees.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I was going to post about this, but they've raised their prices quite a bit from a few years ago when I used to do it.

$245 split between two people over 8 weeks (a shade over $15/person/week) still seems like a decent deal for 2-2.5 hours of bay time per visit. I just wish I wouldn't keep losing my damn Top Golf card. I hate paying replacement fees.

Oh man, I was totally mistaken! I didn't realize that was team pricing listed. I saw the $35 per week, and assumed that was each. Back when I used to do it, it was $20 a person, per week. So it looks like it's actually cheaper now.

No we didn't. I had to rent clubs since there was no way I'm lugging mine on a 12 month world tour so I just asked the guy I rented from what courses he recommended and basically played all of them.

My take after 3 weeks around Edinburgh: If you're playing a course around Edinburgh my hands-down favorite was Dunbar Links. That one will be pricey ($120ish) but it was without a doubt the best links course we played sans Carnoustie 5 days after the Open. Honestly, any good links course near Edinburgh is going to be expensive. If you're on a budget and want to stay near or in Edinburgh go play Braid Hills. It's a super fun and quirky course that was fantastic and has some stunning views of Edinburgh.

If you're willing to travel north to the isle of Fife (about an hour) my favorite bang for the buck links course was the Eden Course at St. Andrews. The Eden course was sadly one of the few that was a more tournament style with super undulated greens and really made you think. One of the other overall favorites was the Kittocks Course at Fairmont St. Andrews. It's a new course so it's not really links style but overall it was a fantastic golf course, especially for $50ish. Let me know if you want any other opinions. We stuck to the east coast for golf as the weather is much better.

What's wrong with that? I personally think it's harder so what's wrong with someone taking a voluntary disadvantage? I do it all the time when practicing or playing alone anyway so meh.

Thanks man. It's a once in a lifetime trip. Wife and I quit our jobs, sold most everything, put the rest in storage and took off with backpacks. So far we have been gone 4.5 months and seen 12 countries. We are currently holed up in Lido di Scanzano, Italy. The plan from here is to tour Italy for the next month or so before heading east to Croatia and Greece until near the end of October. From there we will go to Hong Kong for a week or so before meeting our friends in Thailand. After Thailand things are up in the air. Our ideas are a month or so in Indonesia (Bali anyone?!?!?) before going to New Zealand and renting a camper for a month to drive around and see what we can. We will head home likely sometime in the Jan-Apr window when we're either sick of traveling or run out of money.

Hey Joel,

Not sure what your overall Italy plans are, but I was there last year about this time and we really enjoyed the Northern part of Italy, specifically the Dolomite region. We stayed in a pretty amazing Airbnb (great views):

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6326451

This might be a little too big for just you and your wife, but there are hotels in the region that offer the same view. If you enjoy hiking and IMO, spectacular mountain views you should definitely swing by the area..

Town was Santa Magdalena (St. Maddalena).

When I get home today, I'll see if I can get some photos uploaded to the forum.

GB

So I took a bit of time off from here and golf in general, then life got busy with the kids and wife (teacher) going back to school, so it's now been close to a month since I've been on. Golf game still sucks, but I'm having fun lol.

On the bright side of things, I had a company reach out to me a few weeks ago and essentially offer me a tremendous opportunity. So next week, I start a new gig. Huge jump for my career and compensation...so a SkyTrak may show up on my porch one day much to my wife's dismay :lol:

Oh, and if anyone needs any GVR passes let me know. My buddies and I still have a few left, if anyone is interested. We bought them at the Expo - $55 includes greens fee, cart, range, beer/sode, brat/hotdog, and chips. Pretty killer deal overall.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Played Fox Hollow (Canyon/Meadows) and Broadlands this weekend. The one thing that stood out was how bad the conditions of the greens were at both courses. Dead spots, looked like nobody had fixed a ball mark in a month and they putted like carpet. At least the pace at Broadlands was great and cost $21 for 18 holes with cart. Fox Hollow charging $79 is just a joke, that course is barely worth half that (luckily I paid $35 since I had a rain check to use)

But who knows, maybe I'm just bitter cause my game is in the toilet right now. :cry:

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]