Ping Prodi G clubs

Ping has a new set out called the Prodi G. The selling point is that you get a one time free upgrade was far as shafts go. This way the clubs grow with your child. I was just curious if anybody has tried them out with their kids. It would be great if we could go somewhere and you could hit all of the junior stuff.

I haven’t talked to anybody that has had their kid actually hit them. Wouldn’t it be great to go to one of these big US kids tournaments and have all the reps out there on the range with their stuff. Kids could hit all the different clubs for juniors and I guarantee you it would cause some people to buy stuff.

Ping has a new set out called the Prodi G. The selling point is that you get a one time free upgrade was far as shafts go. This way the clubs grow with your child. I was just curious if anybody has tried them out with their kids. It would be great if we could go somewhere and you could hit all of the junior stuff.

I did see the Prodi G driver at a driving range that was a ping dealer. I didn't have time to see if we could hit it but it looks as if ping fitters will have these for juniors to hit as part of their hitting carts. Will be interesting to see what comes from this. I like the idea of what Ping is trying to do but then again I've always been a Ping fan

But then again what is the difference between Prodi G driver and 812?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I took a look at the clubs, iron sets especially, and there are some issues which stands out.

https://teegolfclub....di-g-iron-sets/

1. No LW. My son uses the 60degree on most shots around the green.

2. No 5iron. Both US kids and Flynn offers 5 irons.

3. Distance gaps in the woods. My son plays in 10 year old division, and his long par3s can be anywhere from 125 up to 150yards. Just having one wood and one hybrid leaves a huge gap.

4. 15degree non-adjustable loft in the driver. Seems a bit weak for older juniors.

Again I would have looked at getting just the irons so #3 and #4 becomes a non-issue, but the lack of LW becomes the biggest problem.

I took a look at the clubs, iron sets especially, and there are some issues which stands out.

https://teegolfclub....di-g-iron-sets/

1. No LW. My son uses the 60degree on most shots around the green.

2. No 5iron. Both US kids and Flynn offers 5 irons.

3. Distance gaps in the woods. My son plays in 10 year old division, and his long par3s can be anywhere from 125 up to 150yards. Just having one wood and one hybrid leaves a huge gap.

4. 15degree non-adjustable loft in the driver. Seems a bit weak for older juniors.

Again I would have looked at getting just the irons so #3 and #4 becomes a non-issue, but the lack of LW becomes the biggest problem.

I’m baffled by not having a 60 degree wedge. Lack of the 5i doesn’t bother me as much but that’s bc my daughter only 8. I was surprised by not having more offerings in the hybrid and fairways department. The 15 degree non adjustable is pretty normal on juniors clubs. USKG ts3 is 15 non adjustable on a lot of their models.

The ping driver is pretty light. Around 186 or so. My daughter swing one back on August had some good pop. We did just order one so I’ll have feedback after Christmas.

My son really likes this set but I cant make myself spend 1000 dollars for a 8 year old boy for a set of golf clubs. Even if I dont get the full set driver - sw its still around 600 bucks for half he set. I think Ping dropped the ball on the price. I would be willing to spend 500-600 dollars on this set but not a 1000+ any one agree or disagree with me. I have a hard time myself spending 1000 on my own full set my current set cost me around 650.

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

My son really likes this set but I cant make myself spend 1000 dollars for a 8 year old boy for a set of golf clubs. Even if I dont get the full set driver - sw its still around 600 bucks for half he set. I think Ping dropped the ball on the price. I would be willing to spend 500-600 dollars on this set but not a 1000+ any one agree or disagree with me. I have a hard time myself spending 1000 on my own full set my current set cost me around 650.

something to consider here is you get TWO sets for one price. They will re-shaft weight all the clubs for free. If you consider typical us kids set is $500 is basically the same cost. I just ordered the driver and fairway. When she ready I will put this on the list I just have an issue with no 5i or lw.

something to consider here is you get TWO sets for one price. They will re-shaft weight all the clubs for free. If you consider typical us kids set is $500 is basically the same cost. I just ordered the driver and fairway. When she ready I will put this on the list I just have an issue with no 5i or lw.

Or 2 500 dollars sets. I mean Cobra charged 250 for the f8 driver and you get 1 free shaft change but they dont charge the 400+ price tag for it.

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

Here's where "you're getting two sets for the price" fails.

I have two kids. When my son was 8, I got him a 54" Flynn set. Year later I upgraded him to a 57" Flynn set and handed down his old 54" to my daughter who turned 8.

I paid for two sets, and I have two sets. With the Ping, not really...

in your case that's probably wouldn't work out in a money standpoint well. In other households its a way to justify high cost for irons.

Or 2 500 dollars sets. I mean Cobra charged 250 for the f8 driver and you get 1 free shaft change but they dont charge the 400+ price tag for it.

that's just one club. But typically cobra drivers for juniors are $300+ unless they are older. I see what Ping trying to do and I hope it will be successful but some situations it won't be. If I was going to buy a full set to get them all re shafted would be a great deal granted comes with a heavy price one some won't pay. Myself I will consider this as an option when she sizes up.

that's just one club. But typically cobra drivers for juniors are $300+ unless they are older. I see what Ping trying to do and I hope it will be successful but some situations it won't be. If I was going to buy a full set to get them all re shafted would be a great deal granted comes with a heavy price one some won't pay. Myself I will consider this as an option when she sizes up.

The best deal is US Kids TS3 irons. I looked around for my 8 year old and it simply was not worth the hassle to order other clubs or even spend more. For her all I needed to do is walk into PGA superstore measure her and have her hit a few clubs and walk out for $500 with a complete set including bag. Irons are great and her hybrids and Driver that come with the set are good enough for the distances she plays. I went though the custom stuff for my older daughter but the US Kids drivers and woods were junk a few years ago and not as good as the latest stuff.

The best deal is US Kids TS3 irons. I looked around for my 8 year old and it simply was not worth the hassle to order other clubs or even spend more. For her all I needed to do is walk into PGA superstore measure her and have her hit a few clubs and walk out for $500 with a complete set including bag. Irons are great and her hybrids and Driver that come with the set are good enough for the distances she plays. I went though the custom stuff for my older daughter but the US Kids drivers and woods were junk a few years ago and not as good as the latest stuff.

US kids ts3 irons are great. Driver is good, fairway is trash. Hybrids are ehh. The way the club sets near the ball is strange. The fairway is one strange freaking club in that set. I wouldn't say its the best deal. You can spend $500 on this set then again in 6 months or you could do a ping set that costs more upfront but get true custom fitting lie angles ect weight that built around a kid specs for the same cost as 2 sets. For those that hand down sets not a good value but if you have a single golfer house then its a good deal that is just as good as the value of US Kids set.

• 5 months later...

Anyone know how the shaft flex on the Prodi g’s compare to the TS3’s. Son (almost 10) has the 54” TS3 and he is now a little over 57” tall and I’m thinking about trying the Prodi g’s next and can’t decide on reg or stiff flex. Driver swing speed is 65-70. Ping fitting chart shows his height being the starting point for stiff flex. Any input would be appreciated.

So my daughter is about to reach 60”, tells me the other day her USKG 57s feel “a little short”. Was just going to regrip and add an inch to each iron, since she wanted better grips and needed something thicker than the stock grip. Then we were walking through the pro shop and saw a ProdiG set on the floor.

Took a 7i outside and compared it to her clubs. The difference was noticeable immediately. Trajectory much higher. Tighter dispersion when the face wasn’t square. Carried about 10 yards longer. Now we will be getting her fit next week to replace her irons. Eventually probably go with RTX wedges. She will keep her M2 driver and hybrid.

On the surface, the shafts for the Pings are normal sized, which means normal grips. I think that has helped her with the mishits. Other than that, I don’t have any answers, but it looks like I’m putting off new clubs for me....once again. Need to get her in one of those colleges that provides gear.

Can’t comment on the quality of the woods/hybrids/wedges. We probably won’t hit them. But at this point, the irons look to be a real improvement over USKG for us.

> @WBB3 said:

> Anyone know how the shaft flex on the Prodi g’s compare to the TS3’s. Son (almost 10) has the 54” TS3 and he is now a little over 57” tall and I’m thinking about trying the Prodi g’s next and can’t decide on reg or stiff flex. Driver swing speed is 65-70. Ping fitting chart shows his height being the starting point for stiff flex. Any input would be appreciated.

I haven’t seen the Ping chart, but this [website](https://teegolfclub.com/ping-prodi-g-individual-irons/?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&CAWELAID=120073120000016250&CATARGETID=120073120000148670&CADevice=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxa6Vn9aF4gIVAZ7ACh3h4QoSEAQYAiABEgJA8fD_BwE "website") seems to suggest he should be in Stiff.

> @BertGA said:

> So my daughter is about to reach 60”, tells me the other day her USKG 57s feel “a little short”. Was just going to regrip and add an inch to each iron, since she wanted better grips and needed something thicker than the stock grip. Then we were walking through the pro shop and saw a ProdiG set on the floor.

>

> Took a 7i outside and compared it to her clubs. The difference was noticeable immediately. Trajectory much higher. Tighter dispersion when the face wasn’t square. Carried about 10 yards longer. Now we will be getting her fit next week to replace her irons. Eventually probably go with RTX wedges. She will keep her M2 driver and hybrid.

>

> On the surface, the shafts for the Pings are normal sized, which means normal grips. I think that has helped her with the mishits. Other than that, I don’t have any answers, but it looks like I’m putting off new clubs for me....once again. Need to get her in one of those colleges that provides gear.

>

> Can’t comment on the quality of the woods/hybrids/wedges. We probably won’t hit them. But at this point, the irons look to be a real improvement over USKG for us.

I haven't got to buy a single new club for me in 2 years....the struggle is real!!!

• Like 1

Took my son to try out some adult clubs yesterday. He hit Ping i210s for a bit, G400, G410 irons for a bit, and then he hits some Prodi-G irons.

I have to admit, I was quite surprised. His dispersion with Prodi-G clubs were very tight, and distances were very consistent. He says they were heavier than his 57” Flynns, but lighter than the adult clubs and he was able to swing them easier and faster.

I still don’t think we will end up going with Prodi G, just because he is at the end of the junior growth chart and won’t be able to take advantage of the re-shaft. For anyone in the market for competitive junior equipment, this seems like the answer.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to move my son from US Kids golf clubs to the Prodi G series. My son is 11 years old. He is about 4'11-5'0 (59-60 inches) tall. He currently plays US Kids 57"to 60" irons, hybrid, and fairway wood. According to Pings fitting chart, they recommend clubs that are longer than US Kids clubs at an equivalent height. For example, the 60-63" inches tall US Kids driver would be 40". Ping recommends I put him in a 41.5" driver at 60" tall and then adds an inch to that driver every inch he grows tall up to 63" tall.

Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

G20 10.5 Stock Stiff
G20 16.5 Stock Stiff
Steelhead 3 & 4 Hybrids Stock Stiff
Steelhead 4-AW Stock Stiff flex
Clev. 588 58 wedges
Slighter Kirkland 36"
3.3 index

> @Edgewood said:

> I'm trying to move my son from US Kids golf clubs to the Prodi G series. My son is 11 years old. He is about 4'11-5'0 (59-60 inches) tall. He currently plays US Kids 57"to 60" irons, hybrid, and fairway wood. According to Pings fitting chart, they recommend clubs that are longer than US Kids clubs at an equivalent height. For example, the 60-63" inches tall US Kids driver would be 40". Ping recommends I put him in a 41.5" driver at 60" tall and then adds an inch to that driver every inch he grows tall up to 63" tall.

>

> Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

My son is 11.5 years old, 4'11. We just switched him out from Flynn 57s to adult clubs.

In general, US Kids tend to favor shorter clubs as they will be easier to swing. Their driver tends to be about one size too short IMO.

As a reference, my son's driver is 44", and he's able to swing it.

Take him to the store and have him try it out. As long as he can swing it comfortably, I'd lean towards the longer club. 11~13 is where boys tend to hit their growth spurts.

> @Edgewood said:

> I'm trying to move my son from US Kids golf clubs to the Prodi G series. My son is 11 years old. He is about 4'11-5'0 (59-60 inches) tall. He currently plays US Kids 57"to 60" irons, hybrid, and fairway wood. According to Pings fitting chart, they recommend clubs that are longer than US Kids clubs at an equivalent height. For example, the 60-63" inches tall US Kids driver would be 40". Ping recommends I put him in a 41.5" driver at 60" tall and then adds an inch to that driver every inch he grows tall up to 63" tall.

>

> Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

At 11 you should really look into putting them into Adult clubs if they can handle them. You will be investing in adult clubs within the next year anyway.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 1 month later...

> @hangontight said:

> Anyone have updated review or thoughts on Prodi G? Specifically the woods? Saw a good Many in pinehurst this year.

I wish that I could demo an iron from the set. They have them at the local Superstore but you are hitting indoors off a mat so it’s hard for me to tell anything from that.

My 10 yo daughter currently plays with US Kids TS. I'm in the market for some new irons for her so I'm debating on sticking with US Kids or go with the Prodi G. After reading some review i'm leaning towards the Pings. She is 58 inches and driver speed is around 72 mph. Was wondering if she would be a junior regular flex or stiff?

My 10 yo daughter currently plays with US Kids TS. I'm in the market for some new irons for her so I'm debating on sticking with US Kids or go with the Prodi G. After reading some review i'm leaning towards the Pings. She is 58 inches and driver speed is around 72 mph. Was wondering if she would be a junior regular flex or stiff?

> @bogey_golfer said:

> My 10 yo daughter currently plays with US Kids TS. I'm in the market for some new irons for her so I'm debating on sticking with US Kids or go with the Prodi G. After reading some review i'm leaning towards the Pings. She is 58 inches and driver speed is around 72 mph. Was wondering if she would be a junior regular flex or stiff?

Based on the measurements you stated above, she is in a stiff flex for those Prodi G clubs. Ping has a fitting chart that you go by and it pretty much does everything for you. I'm sure that if you to a place to get fit they will have you hit on a lie board just to make sure the chart specs are right. My daughter is 11 and has the same measurements as your 10 year old and I'm looking at the Prodi G irons myself.