Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

I just checked the weather, and it looks pretty ideal for you with only light winds and sun all weekend. Enjoy!

I hope our luck lasts with the current weather forecast. Looks ideal.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Update #2

Just had my first ever breakfast meal from McDonald’s. It was okay, I’m not freaking out about it.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Update #4

The trip has seriously taken a turn towards cluster f*ckville.

Interstate 5 north: closed due to wildfire. Gotta find a new route.

Alt route HWY 299 closed due to head-on fatality that happened a mile in front of us. Forced us to turn around.

Currently in search for another route to Bandon. This 11 hour drive is looking like it will be more like 14 or 15 hours.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Update #4

Alt route HWY 299 closed due to head-on fatality that happened a mile in front of us. Forced us to turn around.

Currently in search for another route to Bandon. This 11 hour drive is looking like it will be more like 14 or 15 hours.

Nooooo!!!!

Be careful. Be safe!!!

Can't wait to hear your Bandon stories!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Update #4

Yikes

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Stop filming your swing.

Don’t make me call you names and threaten physical violence.

Fine. I don’t want to get in a fight with a senior citizen anyways.

Won’t it be embarrassing for an old man to out drive you?

One of the most mysterious things is how your seemingly leisurely swing (not to mention you're not 20 anymore) is longer than this young very athletic looking guy. Just a little mind-boggling.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Update 5

Driving through the mountains and cell service has been spotty at best.

Hour 11. Driving west on 299 because eastbound was closed due to the fatality. Talked to a big rig truck driver that was behind us. He said when there’s a fatality the California Highway Patrol will completely shut down the accident scene because the forensics guys go out there and recreate the accident, gather all the evidence and such. He said that takes two to three hours at least. That forced us to come up with an alternative route.

We’re almost back to Interstate 5 North. As I mentioned we are 11 hours in and still have 4 to go.

All are a little stir-crazy right now as today didn’t exactly go to plan. We were planning on having a cocktail at this time. Anyways, the people I’m with are great, especially 3 year old Riley. She has handled today EXTREMELY well and is superbly behaved and she did a wonderful job reading a picture book to me.

Here’s the itinerary for the rest of the day:

- get to Bandon safely

- settle into the house

- have a nightcap (or a couple nightcaps)

- get ready for great golf this weekend

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Played Old Mac today with spectacular weather. 60 degrees and sun with light wind.

Shot 82 with three 3 putts. Hit the ball well, but the greens at Old Mac are absolutely insane. Biggest greens I’ve seen with tons of break. I hit putts and chips today I thought were perfect that just rolled out a huge amount. My speed control on the greens was crap today. Greens and fairways were super firm.

The course feels like they laid grass on top of the sand dunes. To put it another way, the course feels natural, like it belongs exactly where it is. There were a couple holes I didn’t like with blind tee shots but overall the course was awesome. Super wide open but the greens are insane. Bunkers are huge and deep.

After the round we spent a ton of money in the pro shop and then went out to the Punch Bowl.

The Punch Bowl is so freaking fun. We drank beer and played some team games for the tab. Let me say this again the Punch Bowl is amazingly fun. I can’t wait to go out there again tomorrow.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I’ll try and post some pictures a little later but today was probably the most fun I’ve ever had golfing.

Started out at Bandon Trails. This course is underrated in my opinion. Very beautiful course with a good mix of holes. Pretty sure the greens are Poa and I’m not sure why since the other greens are fescue (I think).

Anyways weather was sunny, 65 and just a touch of wind. Played well but s*** the bed on the last two holes to shoot 81.

After finishing Trails we jumped in the car as fast as we could to start Pacific Dunes.

We didn’t tee off till 4pm but had the course to ourselves so we could play quick. Accomplished my goal and shot 76!!! Hit a ton of good shots and got punished on a couple holes as well. Pac Dunes is probably the best course I’ve ever played. Beautiful beyond words.

This is an amazing place. Just sitting down to have drinks and Meatloaf at McKee’s.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

How did you feel about trails 14 hole? The one after the tram ride. Probably the most controversial hole on the property.

Really deceptive hole, I basically chunked a 3W and was pin high left. If I had hit 3W solid I think I’d have flown the green by twenty yards at least. Not much to work with on that green either, very small. The hole is probably a tad too difficult the way it’s designed. I made a “good” double bogey there.

We’ve played Old Mac, Pacific Dunes and Trails so far. There have only been a few holes I didn’t care for.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I loved 14 at BT.....definite risk/reward...I remember hitting 2 iron and it was just right of the right greenside bunkers...my match opponent hit 3 wood right next to me and we both had tricky flops. I made birdie and he doubled (though he killed me the rest of the way lol). BT is highly underrated since it lacks all of the amazing oceaside holes but for pure golf holes, it's hard to beat.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I loved 14 at BT.....definite risk/reward...I remember hitting 2 iron and it was just right of the right greenside bunkers...my match opponent hit 3 wood right next to me and we both had tricky flops. I made birdie and he doubled (though he killed me the rest of the way lol). BT is highly underrated since it lacks all of the amazing oceaside holes but for pure golf holes, it's hard to beat.

I’m a little bitter because I doubled that hole. Trails was an awesome course; thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pacific, Bandon, Trails, Old Mac — all in the top 15 for public courses. Amazing place.

When I get back to my computer I’ll post some more pics and write a bit more.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Way to take advantage of Pac! Well played :)

What holes tripped you up? I'm currently going on a run of 14 sticking me in the neck.

Guessing you had a few birdies thrown in as well?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

What holes tripped you up? I'm currently going on a run of 14 sticking me in the neck.

Thanks!

My main excuse is rushing over to Pac from Trails. We tees off so late we barely had time to finish 18 so it was a rushed feeling to start.

Hit driver wide right on #1 which was a stupid play. Actually found my ball on that huge dune but then duffed my pitch into the dune again and I couldn’t find it. So I had a double to start. Should have hit 3 iron off that tee....

Birdie on #5 after a nice tee shot to 10 feet.

Birdie on #7 after a big drive and PW that took a look in the cup but settled 2 feet away for an easy tap in.

Had decent birdie looks on 10, 11 and 12 but didn’t make any putts. Played well on the back with a lone bogey on 17. Front bunker on 17 is DEEP.

Really proud of how well I played that course. For my skill level that was a strong performance.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Thanks!

My main excuse is rushing over to Pac from Trails. We tees off so late we barely had time to finish 18 so it was a rushed feeling to start.

Hit driver wide right on #1 which was a stupid play. Actually found my ball on that huge dune but then duffed my pitch into the dune again and I couldn't find it. So I had a double to start. Should have hit 3 iron off that tee....

Birdie on #7 after a big drive and PW that took a look in the cup but settled 2 feet away for an easy tap in.

Had decent birdie looks on 10, 11 and 12 but didn't make any putts. Played well on the back with a lone bogey on 17. Front bunker on 17 is DEEP.

Really proud of how well I played that course. For my skill level that was a strong performance.

Birdie with a PW on #7?! Wow! That's awesome! That hole is a beast. I see more 3Ws and 4Is into it that anything on the low end of the bag. I'm guessing the wind was blowing in pretty good off the ocean?

Ha ya, everyone needs to be in that bunker on #17 at least once, for the view. Nicely done.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thanks!

Hit driver wide right on #1 which was a stupid play. Actually found my ball on that huge dune but then duffed my pitch into the dune again and I couldn't find it. So I had a double to start. Should have hit 3 iron off that tee....

Had decent birdie looks on 10, 11 and 12 but didn't make any putts. Played well on the back with a lone bogey on 17. Front bunker on 17 is DEEP.

Birdie with a PW on #7?! Wow! That's awesome! That hole is a beast. I see more 3Ws and 4Is into it that anything on the low end of the bag. I'm guessing the wind was blowing in pretty good off the ocean?

Ha ya, everyone needs to be in that bunker on #17 at least once, for the view. Nicely done.

There really wasn’t any wind at all. No one could believe how calm it was on Saturday. Sunny, 65 and breezy. No gusts, no sustained winds. None.

I think the drive on 7 was around 305 and the pin was back. Can’t hit gap wedge that far so hit a nice low PW that skipped back there and stopped :)

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Old MacDonald -

This course was a good one to start with as it seemed to set the tone for the rest of the trip.

We tee’d off to wonderful weather and an open course. Wide fairways that played firm and fast even compared to the other courses; tight and fast enough that putter from 50 yards off the green wouldn't be a bad play. Very fun because there are opportunities to play lots of different shots. Because of the course shaping and firmness you can use lots of different strategies, I found myself hitting irons, 3W and driver off tees rather than just hitting driver all day. I might have tried playing more aggressive if I had a caddie that knew the course but even hitting less than driver didn’t seem like a bad play on a lot of holes.

Lots of room for creativity around the greens. I struggled to adjust to the greens compared to my home track. Old Mac probably has the biggest greens I've ever seen and like the fairways they play firm and fast. I hit a couple of chips exactly the way I visualized the shot to watch them roll out an extra 20 feet.

Old Mac was my first links golf experience (not a bad way to start). Highlight of the round was hitting a 355 yard drive on the par 4th hole. I then promptly missed the green with a 54* wedge but managed to get up and down for a par. I missed a ten foot birdie putt on 5, a ten foot birdie putt on 9 and I missed a 6 foot birdie putt on 17.

Putting was really the name of the game at Old Mac for me. 37 putts and a round of 82, oh what could have been.

Great course, enjoyed the design and challenge of links golf.

——

Bandon Trails

Beautiful in a different way compared to the links courses. The design is fair but challenging with lots of elevation change throughout. Wide fairways and large greens. Plenty of trouble on tee shots that miss the fairways.

I didn’t break 80 at Old Mac so I really wanted to post a good score on Trails. I was playing pretty good at +4 through 13 holes and then shat the bed big time on the last four holes going double, par, bogey, double. Disappointed because a score in the 70s was well within reach and even though the fairways at Trails are very generous I made a couple of tentative swings and lost two balls coming in (one with a 3W and one with 3i).

This is a must play course and I’m happy I hit so many solid shots here. Hit driver well and with firm fairways it was fun to see how far they went. My home track doesn't play firm very often so its quite a different experience for me.

—-

Pacific Dunes

I can understand why Pacific has the reputation it does. The design and beauty are truly spectacular. I'm not even going to try and describe it other than to say go and play it yourself. If anyone out there ever has a chance to go to Bandon just please do it. Playing there was a privilege and a honor.

Already made some comments on my play here, I’d have to say this was one of the best rounds of my life. Besides being a moron on hole 1 hitting driver I’d say I made a number of good swings and I had legit birdie opportunities on a lot of holes. As it always is with golf I was “this close” to really putting a special round together.

The highlight of the round was hitting good shots in every facet of my game. Hit some great drives, hit solid irons, I got up and down a few different times and I made some putts. Still made plenty of mistakes, obviously, but I showed myself that there’s more good golf to come and that I’m improving. For example, I’ve never hit as many crisp, clean, solid chip shots as I did this week. To do that off the tight lies the Bandon courses are known for really proved to me that I’m improving my short game.

Preserve

Super super fun and an absolute must play. The game was to get around the course using 9i and above. Just a really fun course and fun greens where one can get really creative. This was how we warmed up for Bandon Dunes.

—-

Bandon Dunes

Superb weather for us again. We won the weather-lotto this trip. It was a bit more breezy on the Dunes course but no crazy wind or gusts.

As far as I'm concerned Dunes deserves all the accolades it receives. Just awesome.

Fairways played softer for us than any other course but the greens were wicked tight. Full, tight and healthy greens.

Flew the green on #2 into the long fescue but luckily found my ball. Took like 6 swipes at it and didn’t move hardly at all. Got fooled with the wind and elevation. 8 iron yardage but the wind and elevation I pulled 7 iron and just airmailed everything.

Kind of the same story here. Playing decent, +6 standing on 16 tee. In position to break 80 again and went double, double, par.

Couldn’t find my tee shot on 16... on 17 I hit a pure 6 iron into the green only to see it fly the green by 20 yards into the gorse. I think my gps was off or something. GPS said I had “195” to the back so I'm thinking okay it's uphill and the wind doesn't feel like it's helping much. So I hit 6i and apparently hit it about 225 uphill.... Again, I think the GPS got me there, bummer. To make matters worse I missed a 6 footer for birdie on 18.

All in all the trip was just unreal. Absolutely an honor to play golf in such an amazing place with a fun group of guys. I also spent way to much money in the pro shop but this was a bucket-list trip and I got caught up in the moment ;)

To those of you planning a Bandon trip please feel free to ask questions. I'd be happy to try and help.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Pictures of me at the Preserve looking out over Bandon Dunes. Also, some photos of the PunchBowl

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

One more thing. The Preserve and the PunchBowl are almost as fun as the main attractions. The bartender kept us well-watered at the PunchBowl which was a wonderful way to wind down the day. As far as the Preserve goes -- doubt I'll ever play a short course that nice and fun again in my life.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I'll usually take two golf trips a year, one for a tournament and then another to wherever with a big group. We went to Bandon this past year, and I would not at all be disappointed if we just kept going there every year.

However, there are so many great places to play golf (not AS great as Bandon :) ) that we'll have to mix it up a bit... but great write up. Heaven on Earth.... glad to see you enjoyed it.

I'll usually take two golf trips a year, one for a tournament and then another to wherever with a big group. We went to Bandon this past year, and I would not at all be disappointed if we just kept going there every year.

However, there are so many great places to play golf (not AS great as Bandon :) ) that we'll have to mix it up a bit... but great write up. Heaven on Earth.... glad to see you enjoyed it.

Exactly how I described it to my brother.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black